WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread(s)

Other urls found in this thread:

shapeways.com/product/J799HEPEL/60x-minotaurs-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62992021&li=marketplace
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thank god, I was starting to feel the itch
Still haven't gotten around to ordering the Pauldrons I need, but in the meantime, do you guys think I should put a pauldron on my Aspiring Champion's right shoulder or leave it bare because Tough McManBeef?

reposting these niggas from last thread

WiP Minotaur. Still need to clean up the highlighting, and pick out some more details. First marine I've painted in almost ten years. Arms and backpack are separate, to make hitting chest easier. Not sure what I want to do with the pauldrons - there are no Minotaur transfer sheets, and my freehanding skill is almost nil.

Excuse the mess in the background, working on some house stuff.

Mods are asleep
post Tau

I dig the scarves.

I think he looks cool w/out. Bonus points would be to find a bare leg of the right scale to convert a modern equivalent of this classic eyesore

lookin good! nice combination of bright parts and filthy washed out parts

nice! whats your gold scheme?

I do like the look of the bare arm, but I don't know if I'm going to go so far as putting on a bare leg...

I actually followed Duncan's scheme for Minotaurs verbatim, and it worked out quite nicely. Quick and easy too:
-2 coats Balthasar
-Drybrush Runelord Brass
-Wash Agrax Gloss
-Drybrush Runelord again
-Edge highlight with Stormhost Silver

You could very easily get a squad done quickly.

Updated family photo

More heads. Is it weird to use the heads that come with a dreadnought on normal Marines?? Because they're awesome looking... I'm thinking that beefy steel one will be a heavy weapons bro.

The beefy one is really large and too heavy looking, but I've seen people use it. The skull head one is an awesome head and a lot of people use it as a normal head because it has a cool faceplate. It's the exact same size as a normal helmet.

I know the one on the right fits on marines because I put it on one, but I don't know about the one on the left, you might have to scrape a little off the front of the bottom to get it right but other than that it should fit fine.

From the thumbnail, I thought that was a picture of some odd insect.

Touche haha, doesn't even fit in fully. Welp... Guess I'll just keep him around for moral support.

Forgot image:

First models I've painted after a 2 year hiatus.

More kommandos coming out, I'm casting some pouches and tankbustas bombs for the guys which I'm gonna add. Once again thoughts?

You're going to have a lot of trouble getting to fit the dread helmets and pretty much any helmet that isn't a DW Vet helmet on those torsos since the collar is in the way. GW specifically designed the helmets in the DW Vet kit to fit on those torsos because the normal ones don't. I tried to put a normal helmet on one of those torsos it didn't fit very well even with a bunch of scraping and chopping.

So I am making some AoS Chaos Warriors out of Stormcast. Does anyone have a suggestion for heads besides the standard horned Warrior and
Knight heads?

Oh snap good to know.

You can make some pretty tacti-cool rubrics with the termi heads

If you still want to use the dread heads you could try chopping up the torso backs a bit to fit normal marine torso fronts, without the collars, onto them and that should make it easier to fit the heads on.

Greenstuff sculpting 101:

Get some cheap clay sculpting tools. You can get like a dozen tools in a set for like $5 (you might end up only using two of em for most things starting out)

Use water to damp your tools frequently while sculpting.

Careful to avoid fingerprints, and you can polish out fingerprints and fold marks using a damp tool.

Subtractive sculpting is a thing, so if your shapes are a tad blobby you can cut and carve away at them after curing.

Just finished my first Skin and Moans. Need basing stuff but was excited to post him.

Tight.

Only thing I'm working on now is my new Khorne army, pictured.

Pledge on BitzBox's patron a certain level, and you get bits and other goodies in the mail monthly.

Somethings they're themed, sometimes not. On your first bag, you can somewhat direct him on themes to work with, and he'll accommodate the best he can.

Already done those a good half year ago, I was looking for more of suggestions to add details and where the sculpting is lacking and needs more work on it

>Buddhist khorne
I dig

top work, m8

nice color choices! the flesh areas could really use some more contrast though

what kind of content do they create with their patreon?

>putting the mouth armor head on a fucking collared torso

You're a complete retard.

You have a lot of visible fold marks and blobby shapes still.

You can reduce the boxyness of the bags by using a bit of greenstuff on the corners to make it a more rounded transition. Then, you can put a THIN indent going along the length of the corner. This will make it look like there's a seam on the inside of the backpack. (the clever grot who sewed this realized that this helps prevent the bag from ripping)

>tfw your posts made me realize where my company champion got his head from

I dun put a dreadnought head on him all those years ago when I originally assembled him and a bunch of other dudes

I'll link/post a picture of him to this post in a bit

Gonna try sanding it down when it dries, but I'm gonna do that bag thing, looks cool.

Painting and modeling videos as well as battle reports.

The guy also runs the bits store by the same name. You also get free shipping on the bitzbox store for the bitsbag pledge and some of the lesser pledges.

How'd you do the scarves?

Also, photo of my GSC with deceptive lighting. I'll try get a picture with daylight at some point

Beginning edge highlighting on the Warpwalker. My hands are kinda shaky today though, so progress is slow. Doesn't help that my ceiling light is starting to dim either

Should I do any kind of markings on his shoulder to denote his old chapter? What kind of homebrew chapter could I do? Maybe something based off of Dark Souls, like something and gold with a wolf or sun as the chapter symbol?

If you're going to go with Dark Souls heraldry then a sun would work, since Gwyn was the god of sunlight and his children and himself represented it. Fire would also work, as it is a strong theme in the game, maybe a dwindling flame or something along those lines.
In terms of color, I would go with a muted tone to represent the decay of the character, another strong theme in Dark Souls.

These are good suggestions. Since Artorias is the wolf knight you could try for a custom wolf sigil, but that's probably too close to, well, you know. Warriors of Sunlight would make for a cool chapter, could probably do a color scheme based off of Solaire (green, white, chrome, big, outstanding heraldry). Not terribly original, but I think it would look cool and be a nice homage.

MOLD LINES

Still very wip company champion using the same armoured head

its such a huge pain in the ass for so little reward
his figs look great

I know, I'm lazy with limited time but, yeah, I know.

Thanks! I haven't had an opportunity to field them at all yet, hope they look good on the table.

I'm not too keen on the Solaire inspired colors as it'd look a bit too cartoony on an overall serious model. Besides sunfags are the worst. Darkwraiths 4lyfe

I'm kind of leaning towards gold trim with a flame symbol. Not sure what to do for the pauldron's main color though

Black or a deep blue to contrast the warm glow of the flame. Another theme of Dark Souls is the dichotomy of things in the universe, particularly Dark and Light

Maybe a small golden flame in a black pauldron? Like the small bit of flame with the abyss slowly encroaching around it

That's fair. A darkwraith themed army would be awesome, all black with bright red highlights, red eye orb as the heraldry, and at least one model in the "well what is it?" pose.

Given that Artorias is all chrome, blue, and black, I'll second and go with the dark blue that will fit the character theme and make the flame/sun pop.

That's perfect

Artorias in my army is called the Warpawalker. He's set to be my Chapter champion. Due to fluff reasons, his senses have been dulled by the Warp and is being manipulated by my chaplain, who will actually be Darkwraith themed, to fight for my renegade chapter despite his undying loyalty for the Imperium. It's tragic really, and I love how it ended up

Pretty Soulsy, if I do say. I dig it a lot!

It's starting to sound like the Legion of the Damned but with less fire and more dark

Ooh, is he chaplain Kaath?

Might not be his name outright but Kaathe is actually his WIP due to the strong connection. Still need to do the chapter master before the chaplain so I've got time to work on something

For those who've been in /yourdudes/ threads, is the Dregs Fatalis, a renegade chapter comprised of survivors, POWs, and deserters guided by a warmongering turbocunt of a warlord. His efforts overseeing parts of the Primaris testing procedure combined with the theft of key machinery and supplies thanks to the chaplain, they ran off and began recruiting/kidnapping to build an army. After vanishing for a while, they recently resurfaced in a massive Space Hulk, which they use to reprocess new marines into primarines with a grudge

The only rule the Dregs follow are answering to certain commanders and to gather stolen/salvaged loot. Other than that, they're free to run rampant, fulfilling their own agendas and generally causing trouble for the Imperium

Dregs, you say?

How's the lenses look?

Let's try this again.

I give up. Not gonna spam the thread with images.

That reference was accidental. An user here gave me the basis of the idea.

are you edge highlighting the converted parts, or doing a drybrush on them? they are scrungy as hell

they look good overall, but the horizon effect or whatever you were trying for with the white doesn't read as well as the classic dots would on an area so small

Not sure yet. I might've roughened them up too much. What would be better?

10/10 concept
tabletop standard execution

You'll probably have a hard time edge highlighting such rough surfaces. They look a little odd next to the smoothness of the chad model. Not familiar with the video game source material so no idea what you are going for, but an allover drybrush might serve you better and be much easier.

WIP trying to clean up/highlight

Spectacular.

:3c

His shawl cape thing is all torn up in game and I had planned on adding weathering to the smoother parts after layering it was done

Well the painting just started and this is only my second attempt at sculpting so it's fine for what I had hoped for

I think you should consider carrying the orange (or a similar tone) through more of the details. The painting here is very clean and well-executed, but the stark blue/grey scheme needs something to liven it up

other then lenses and the vents in the back, i'm wary of having too much orange on it as it contrasts so much with blue, that putting it on any larger area would clash too much. Currently the only other place i can see adding them is the little dot in the tau emblem, or the disc things on the side of the jetpacks.

Paint bands of the thigh armour orange. Just one or two per guy. Something like this.

I mean if you still think that'd be too much that's fair enough, but I think it'd look okay.

Might be a bit more visual variety when you get those guns painted anyway.

Did you glue on those missle pods? I hope not.

>Those scarves
I give them 10 edgy anime protagonists out of 10. How'd you do them?

Hey, it totally works! Dregs are abyssal in nature, so roll with it!

>Breachers without antennas
I was thinking of doing exactly this. I think it makes them more visually distinct.

Scarves look pretty solid. I'd have maybe made them a bit less chunky but it's nice work.

WELL, WHAT IS IT?

shapeways.com/product/J799HEPEL/60x-minotaurs-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62992021&li=marketplace

If this isn't out of your price range, may be an option.

Yes...

Nice dick

>shapeways.com/product/J799HEPEL/60x-minotaurs-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62992021&li=marketplace

That is perfect, thank you user.

>BAD DRAGON

The thought of having to scrub 60 tiny resin arms is making me question life. Please send help.

Whyyyyy
They're shit and magnets are a Tau player's best friend anyway

i'm trying to get to a better standard, slowly but surely i'm getting there

just started out, was experimenting with them, and didn't start magnetizing till just recently. Honestly having them their just looks cool. currently had success in my list having a suit squad of triple flamers, and 1 squad of triple FB.

Had a thought while I was painting . Should I keep his helmet silver as it is in the picture and paint the eyes black? Or Paint the helmet the same blue as the shawl and paint the faceplate black to simulate Artorias's shadowed face? Complete accuracy isn't a requirement but I'm wondering if it'd look better than the silver helm I have currently

Deepstriking flamers suck balls because they can't hit anything after they land.

Stealthsuits and Homing Beacons solves that problem quite easily.

Uuuggghhhh

They're good for screening assaults. Your gunline looks a lot less appealing to assault when the enemy has to charge past 9D6 overwatch hits.

Get an ultrasonic dude.

For the life of me I could not get my camera to focus but got 6 of these done tonight and wanted to post them. I swear they look better in person. For basing I think I want to add an Easter egg to the ones leaping forward

Idk what that is

Also while I didnt paint this recently I was asked to paint this for a friend and was very happy with the results.

ultrasonics work for scrubbing resin?

Ultrasonic cleaner. Uses cavitation to clean parts. A lot of people use them to strip second hand minis but they're also super useful for cleaning resin.

You'll probably still have to give them a quick once over with a toothbrush but it won't need any real scrubbing.

Sounds expensive as fuck