Dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs

Who /hype/ here?

Very hype, though we were spoiled on lots of'em already. Hopefully the commons and uncommons are playable

>Walk the Plank and Fatal Push exist for at least another year in standard and are already good for eternal formats

What the fuck WotC

Is that a bad thing? It's about time WotC made eternal playable cards more often, if they won't reprint old ones at least.

wat?

its worse than victim of night

I want to build an edh deck around the legendary dino but out of the rares it seems like there are only a few good dinos. do you think there will be good cards that will be errataed into dinos? if not then ill have to fill the deck with shapeshifters. good think we have chameleon colossus, mirror entity, and taurean mauler.

>push being a problem for standard

Im to autistic for that.
I'll have to go pure dino or bust.

Not many errata options either.

gay meme set full of unplayable jank that isn't worth the value of the box it comes in.

oh yeah I'm so fucking /hype/

>do you think there will be good cards that will be errataed into dinos?
Not many good ones, no. A fair bet is any card with -saur in the name and all the non-bird raptors getting an erreta.

I want white vamps and pirates more. See if Admiral brass is any good.

>if the set isn't all made of pure value cards like Lightning bolt and Dark Ritual the set sucks lmao ecksdee

That's you right now

Great art, costs to much to play in red worth while.

It doesn't even have trample or haste.

Cramming a bunch of bolt spells into an expensive creature with no abilities doesn't make it good design.

any other cards spoiled?

I am less hype since I had the realization that wizards is going to use dinosaurs and pirates as an excuse to not make good cards

I think it could be okay. Honestly, if anything, it could really just stand to be smaller. A 4/4 for 4 with the double-bolts strapped on would be a lot more appealing in a red deck

This thing is actually okay, though the heavy red devotion does cost it out of a lot of decks I think, ironicslly including probably most dinosaur tribal decks. Main problem is its similar to glorybringer, but somes down later and does less damage which is strange.

Chandra is gonna be so good this format

I'm pretty sure that megamorph raptor from Khans block is going to be a Dinosaur.

Yeah, it's going to be Dragons of Tarkir all over again. They put a lot of effort into making Khans of Tarkir awesome entirely off of the assumption that it would have to be amazing in order to hold a candle to all the Dragons they were about to print.

And then there was maybe three total cycles of any sort of Dragon tribal going on, with a lot of them being overcosted.

>Walk the Plank
What?

BB sorcery destroy target non merfolk

>He didn't see the leaks
Walk the Plank
BB
Destroy target non-merfolk creature.

Eh. It's not doom blade, so I'm not too concerned. It's another 'black kills a thing' card. I'd prefer Grasp again, or, like I said, Doom Blade.

Forgot sorcery

This still kills creature type fish, creature type turtle, creature type kraken, creature type serpent...

Give me the three spells on their own for the same equivalent cost and you have a for more useful play than something stopped by a single form of counter/removal from a thousand card that do it.

There's also Frentic Raptor and Ridgetop Raptor which are good candidates. Other than them, Dromosaur, Gnathosaur, Imperiosaur, Magmasaur, Pangosaur, Pygmy Allosaurus, and Pygmy Pyrosaur seem like they'd all be changed as well.

Of those though, only Magmasaur seems worthwhile in a Dinosaur deck of any sort unless you're desprate for creatures. The others have mediocre abilities or active downsides. Magmasaur seems useful for being a variable boardwipe, depending on how much it benefits from tribal support.

>Doesn't kill merfolk cause they can swim
>Does kill fish

Unless Merfolks are overpowered in Ixalan, it will be better than Doom Blade, in Standard at least

Nice get
But you're still an annoying cunt

Not to mention Leviathans, Frogs, Water Elementals.

Honestly they probably should have just made it non-Blue if they were worried about flavor, but then you'd have a bunch of pirates from this set who can't walk the plank.

It's not Instant, I don't care.

What if it was instant speed and destroyed target non-blue?

I mean, I'm just saying its not dogshit, not that its better or as good as 2 lightning bolts and a 6/6 for 4 in hand

xaxa bigits

Blue pirates could just be better antiquated with water than the red and black ones who are good at murdering and pillaging

It at least means you only need to draw the 1 dinosaur instead of a creature and 2 bolts. Granted, I think it's too expensive to run in pure Red, but at least it does something when it enters the battlefield. Killing a small creature and getting some face damage isn't bad even if it dies after.

It's not the next Siege Rhino, but it's okay.

>What if it was instant speed and destroyed target non-blue?
Modern-playable
Black decks with Push and Walk run rampant
Goodstuff.dec becomes even more unbearable

This reminds me, I remember reading that back in the age of sail, they pruposely DIDN'T teach sailors to swim, since if your ship went down, there was pretty much no hope of you ever getting rescued and was thus preferable to just drown

Costing 6 for a 6/6 in nongreen makes it shit by virtue.

*acquainted

I honnestly dont care and was kind of only joking about it not killing nerfolk but leaving all the other swimming creature types alive since merfolk are the type that matters in this set that also features pirates heavily. But im surprised its not instant. Its pretty much worse than Victim of night since merfolk is an eternal playable tribe, so it wouldnt be imposing on anything in older formats. And fatal push is probably stronger than this in standard, right?

WRG is the Dinosaur colors. My Guess is that Dinosaur tribal is going to be all about ramping to those big creatures in some way.

Most likely there will be some smaller raptors and native warriors if you want to run WR weenies or RDW

You just know there's going to be at least one Kraken or Leviathan in this set though, and that's what makes it odd.

Still, it isn't too bizarre anyway. At least, not anymore than the idea of trying to get a giant T-Rex to walk off of a boat.

Would Cavern have broken standard or something? Why print a card that is just a completely worse version of a card that's been printed before and could use a reprint?

How are you making a kraken walk on a plane? Just kill it from the boat, ala whale hunter

I would rather draw a bolt that I can use at my leisure or a dino I can pop by turn four than have to wait until turn fucking six minimum and hope the dinobolt has none of it's abilities wasted.

$$$

How do you make an Elemental walk on a plank? Or anything else that doesn't have legs? How can a spirit drown? What about a skeleton, or a zombie?

as someone who already owns caverns and likes to play tribal, I like the idea of being able to have a full playset of another extremely similar card

Well, what i mean is, while its cool flavor if it were to list the swimming types, mechanically it mostly doesnt matter except for merfolk since they are spotlighted. Itd be pure trinket otherwise. And non blue doesnt quite work flavorwise imo. We got the flavor with just merfolk (walking the plank doesnt kill them because they are swimmers) so.

>vanilla costing in a color known for having progressively worse creatures the higher mana cost they are is shit

This thing could've easily been justified as a 5/5 and still be solid. It's not meant for aggressive strategies, it's meant to accelerate the clock slightly and destroy defensive creatures once a midrange/ramp strategy gets rolling

Once things hit a certain price point, they dont reprint it except I think in masters sets. Its unfortunate but oh well. Unclaimed Territory is still a good card and while it doesnt matter much I think the flavor is better.

>How do you make an Elemental walk on a plank?
I don't know, I hope we don't get elementals in that set
>Or anything else that doesn't have legs?
They slither the plank and drown
>How can a spirit drown? What about a skeleton, or a zombie?
They don't drown but they don't swim either

How do you Asphyxiate an artifact creature?
How does a robot fall into Melancholy?
How does Winter Orb even touch my lands that are obviously 90% lava.
The answer is magic.

Unless your playing jank 5c kitchen table tribal decks I don't see how the card is any good.

Wait
Wait
We have creatures that are literal boats now

That's my point

The merfolk thing isn't because they can swim. The guy on the card is shackled. It's because they can breathe underwater.

Its an effectively 5 color fixer for creature based decks. The thing that makes cavern good.

>We have creatures that are literal boats now
And those are confirmed in the set...
Okay, I give up. The flavor is failed, even while only taking Ixalan into account

True. If you crew a vehicle during the enemy's turn, they could make your Boat walk its own plank.

Is this for real?

>The merfolk thing isn't because they can swim. The guy on the card is shackled. It's because they can breathe underwater.
Breathing underwater won't save your life if you can't move
I can breath outside of water but I'll certainly die if left chained in the middle of the forest

You're just not using your imagination
Just like Spire of Industry, it's just another useful tool for people to experiment with even though better lands exist

It's just nice to be able to essentially have 8 Cavern effects to build with.

People often use the phrase "This is just (card name) 5-8" when referring to specific cards in their deck

Honestly, I think it would have been better off being a -3/-3 to non merfolk. At least then it wouldn't be targetting any huge leviathans or things that wouldn't fit on a boat anyway.

Of course, then that's a very different card, but honestly how difficult would it have been to have that sort of effect be walk the plank, and then have your actual kill spell be 'Ramming Speed' and depict a boat crashing into a Dinosaur or something.

The thing that makes Cavern good is that it makes your creatures uncounterable. It's why it sees play in even mono colored lists like Elves and DnT.

If the spell isn't uncounterable it's just a non-basic land that can't be fetched that sometimes makes colored mana. It's not going to help you land your Thalia or Ezuri or Monestary Mentor.

ye

Rest easy, knowing that all of black's best removal has the flavor of pushing people off of shit

All the more stranger that it doesn't work on merfolk, but does work on fish. You could shackle a merfolk, but how do you shackle a fish?

I emean, yeah, the uncounterable is what makes it good also in monocolor decks.

Or them slipping

I would kill the fish on the boat.
Or Push it from a high building
Or wait for it to miss a step while walking

Not sure why all the hate on this dude, he seems pretty playable, like the only bad thing about him is the RRR in his cost.

You'd have 4 Cavern of Souls and 4 lands that don't do the thing that make Cavern of Souls Cavern of Souls. 4 of those lands will get your Reality Smasher Mana Leaked, and the other 4 will let you windmill slam your deck without caring about your opponent's hand. I think it's clear which one is worth playing.

Maybe the idea is that anything that can walk, like a person, would get pushed off while shackled and drown in the sea, while most things that would be able to swim and breathe underwater would suffocate on the deck while trying to walk.

The reason Merfolk are exempt is that they can both walk along with plank without issue, and also can swim and breath underwater with ease.

All 8 of them? Even without the new land, you wouldn't be able to more than 4 Caverns
Since uncommon:Caverns are easy fixing, it can replace whatever nonfetchable land you already had

My guy, I'm not saying play one over the other, my dude

I'm saying that tapping for any color of mana for a specific tribe is badass, and you play them all together, my bro my dog

No one is saying that it's automatically going to happen in any specific future decks, but it's nice to have that option to experiment with, my friend, my man

I have never in my fucking life seen a creature card that screams "I have Haste" as much as this one and yet doesn't have it.

It slams a both the opponent and a dude the moment it gets on the board, giving it haste would be overkill, but for triple R they might as well.

Those aren't speed lines, they're rays of sunlight.

I feel like Trample would be a bit better to help make use of the fact its a 6/6. Currently it just feels wastefully big.

>Cavern of Souls is good for the fixing!
There's only one deck across Modern/Legacy/Vintage that uses Cavern to fix it's tribal manabase. It could say "name a color (or colorless) and a creature type, ~ can only tap for that color" and it would not see a severe drop in play.

The new land sucks.

>Not playing Chandra, Glorybringer, Burning Sun's Avatar, and Chaos Maw in the same deck

WE'RE PLAYING THE BIGGEST OF BIG RED BOYS

also actual decent image of this card out too

Is this the epic Veeky Forums "every new card sucks" meme of legend that I've heard so much about? I've heard it was also this way for Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Siege Rhino as well

So the legends are true

That is pretty good. White Vamps are still weird, but I really like vigilance there while bringing back small creatures on the attack.

I like the effect but the package deal seems pretty bad. I know its reanimation but this looks so unappealing when I can pay 3 and get it as an etb trigger.

>if they were worried about flavor
They aren't. The non-Merfolk clause is just a cute piece of flavor for them to put on the card that also happens to be appropiate in the block and limited. Making a dinosaur walk the plank is still silly, as is doing it to many other creatures, and WotC likely don't care, just as they didn't care that crew allows vehicles to crew other vehicles or even themselves.

It's not a bad card, but the issue with 5 drops in today's standard format is that they have to have some kind of impact on the board upon resolving to actually be relevant

I mean Veeky Forums told me Harsh Mentor would see play in every format so maybe Veeky Forums is shit at analyzing cards.

But Unclaimed Territory is the definition of a bad card.

>But Unclaimed Territory is the definition of a correct card.
FTFY

>maybe Veeky Forums is shit at analyzing cards.
Yes.
Veeky Forums has consistently misevaluated every spoiled card posted on the board.

Thats kinda what Im feeling. You have to pay 5 and you still gotta swing with it. I really like seeing white reanimation though.

>a land that taps for any color for a tribe that comes into play untapped at all points of the game is the definition of a bad card

You're right, Veeky Forums really is shit at analyzing cards

You are definitely choosing the wrong card to be aggressive about right now man.

>Those aren't speed lines, they're rays of sunlight.

I'm a giant retard

I think the big advantage is that'd it's potentially repeatable. Granted, by that late in the game, you'll have to be controlling the board pretty well or using more cards on it to make sure it lives, but it is a possibility.

Possibly better in a more control style deck where they won't have as many ways to stop it, and you can build value by getting back smaller utility creatures.

Not true. If you say most cards are shit, and most cards ARE shit, you're technically still correct most of the time. All gods were shit except Rhonas, then it turns out rhonas is bad but hazoret is good. Still technically greater than half. Checkmate, atheists.

Rhonas is good though

Rhonas and Hazoret both being good is something I remember Veeky Forums actually getting correct about

It's a non-basic that can't be fetched with zero utility other than tapping for colored mana dependent on the tribe. In one color decks (both modern and legacy Death and Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Merfolk) it's useless. In two color decks (Elves, B/W Eldrazi), it's worse than a shockland because at least that can be fetched out. It can't be ran just for value like Cavern of Souls because it doesn't help you force out threats.

What deck wants this card exactly?

Why couldn't this card just be a reprint of a card that's $45 that is strictly better than this card?

Maybe control is where it goes, though I have no idea what control is reanimating with this.