>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

veekyforums.com/thread/53778223/games/teehee-maccaroni-is-the-bane-of-my-fucking.html
github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just started playing this system. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver with some friends. So far we've had a good time, but I wonder how I should be giving out magic items? Some of them seem really powerful, and I don't want to remove the fun of the challenge from the game. Also, is it considered a faux pas to create your own magic items?

Picking up the Primeval Thule campaign guide. Conan+Cthulu? Sign me the fuck up.

Anyone have experience running this setting?

Take a look at the random loot tables arranged by level. You don't have to choose randomly if you want. Just start low.

No it's not a faux pas, but it's easy for an inexperienced DM to accidentally break the game by introducing a broken item. Use caution.

How features can an Intellect Devour use if it takes over a body? I guess they can't cast the spells the person could

creating your own magic items is normal. I've not played lost mines, but how exactly are the magic items overpowered?

I meant which features, or how many of course

It knows everything the target creature knows. Including spells and languages. The intellect devourer can use any of the abilities and spells.

If you're running a module just follow it. It hands out magical items at appropriate times.

12th level Life Cleric here, have been playing the rather conservative Beacon of Hope, Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapons shit for way too long.

What is some goofy shit I can do?

Anyone get access to the newest PDFs yet?

What PDFs?

Why is everyone who plays TTRPGs so autistic? The "min-maxers" can't even figure out that wizard isn't the best class in the game, bladelock sucks, or sentinel + polearm master isn't even that good. RP fags think that if you don't take a 12 or less in constitution you're a power gaming piece of shit. Is there any place on the internet for actual good discussion of the finer points of both role playing and crunch without it being mucked up by retarded monkeys spouting off about eldritch blast?

Did someone say Eldritch blast?

>be mystic with high-level fighter
>Ready the Command to Strike discipline power for when the fighter starts attacking the big bad
>use reaction to use it
>4 attacks action, 4 attack action surge, 4 attack reaction, 1 attack bonus action GWM
>13 attacks dealing 2d6+15 damage each not counting crits and superiority dice

You guys ready to be more queer

So I'm running Death House tonight.

Should I let my PCs start at level 2? There's only 4 of them and they don't really have any experience with DnD.

I feel like they'll still be plenty squishy even with the extra level, and that even if we decide to continue to the rest of the CoS module it won't make a huge difference.

Have you looked into the OSR community? No offense, but it seems like 5e just isn't your game.

I can't be any more queer than I already am, user.

Nobody thinks you're a min maxer for taking somewhat optimal stats.

>+15
How

+5 from Str, +10 from GWM.

GWM adds +10 to the damage roll but -5 to the attack roll.

But later in the game the -5 becomes trivial while the +10 remains very powerful, as single attack power doesn't really go up that much, but accuracy and number of attacks both do.

Holy fuck all this time I heard that GWM is very powerful but I just took everyone's word for it and never read the feat until now. Jesus fuck

Reminder that if you miss with a Great Weapon Attack and have superiority dice left, you can retroactively declare a Precision Strike maneuver and change that miss into a hit.

You can do the same thing with Sharpshooter.

Whens the next arcana?

September 4th.

Holy fuck I'm CUMMING

Ah ok. Do we have any idea what it will be about?

All we know is that for the foreseeable future, UAs will be based on subsystem expansion or variants (like the XP and initiative UAs were).

Yeah, you basically get the Great Weapon Master extra damage for no penalty at all if you're using Precision Strike.

I like 5e, I just don't like what most of the people who play it have to say about it.
> DM / Player / Dog playing for the first time, how do I read the book?
> Eldritch blast?
> What do you guys think of my very specific homebrew for exactly my campaign with no other context?
> Woah check out my sweet Barbarian 1/Bard1/Cleric1/Fighter1/Monk1/Ranger1/Rogue1/Sorcerer1/Warlock2/Wizard10 multiclass
>Eldritch blast?

Nobody ever talks about spell combos, or synergy between classes, or monsters that go well together in an encounter.

You'd be surprised how often I see that on other forums.

Well the penalty is not using that superiority die for something else.

You still have to choose between either (maybe, you might still miss if you roll poorly) hitting with your +15 damage, or doing +15 +1d8 + trip or whatever else.

But it is a good move obviously.

You are letting a loud minority get to you.

Just play with normal people. I have plenty of well adjusted adult friends who like to get together, drink a few, and roll some dice. We get into the game once a moth or so and nobody gets bent out of shape.

I moved away from them and tried to set up a game by looking toward the FLGS nearby. Full of mouthebreathing autists. So yeah, I get why you might have the perception. I finally thought, "oh, these are the fuckers Veeky Forums complains about" and never went back.

But you live in a year where things like GoT and Stranger Things are extremely popular. The current edition of DnD is very accessible and the introductory modules are pretty well written and easy to get into.

Don't be discouraged if your experience with the existing community is limited to a few shitty outliers. Go grab some friends and run a game, a few will stick and you'll find yourself in a long-term group in no time.

Yes, play your 12/14/10/16/12/14 Battlemaster Fighter, have fun asshole.

Optimizing your stats based on the class you play isn't even minmaxing, it makes sense. If you've been training to be a Fighter it makes sense to have above average strength and constitution, for example, because you've been honing your body towards this specific purpose. And if you're a Wizard your Int is obviously gonna be high because you've been a scholar all your life.

That said, what class is the best class in the game according to you? Even if it's not the best, Wizards are still really good. I also don't see what's wrong with Sentinel + PAM, it might not have the raw damage that PAM + GWM has but it does turn your frontliner into a more effective wall, which may be more useful in your party.

Are there any standard-ish character tropes you have not yet tried playing, /5eg/?

Volo's guide to monsters or tome of beasts?

Volo's.

Yes.
I don't like playing wizards or any casters at all

Mystic in AL is the bane of my fucking existence.

Every fucking campaign that I run inevitably at some point involves running into a PC that takes Mystic, which the player affectionately describes as "an epic fucking psion who can put out over 176 damage with his buddies. every turn"

Mystic wanders the countryside with a unique set of abilities powered by "mind magic" shoved up his brain, and he casts his psionic shit by noggin his joggin. He says nothing but his own name in different inflections and the phrase "He Shiva Shankara, ommmmmmmmm mane padme hummmm." The player thinks it's hilarious to have this character show up during the middle of encounters we're struggling at and start jerking off totally-not-magic everywhere.

But the worst part is his chant. He wanders around chanting his name, so when he's about to show up the GM will start low;
Tee-hee-hee, I am Mystic in AL
Tee-hee-hee, I am Mystic in AL
And then get louder and louder until he's fucking shouting
TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!
TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!

And the table loves it! The other guys I play with think this is the best shit! Mystic has been our table's de-facto inside joke, our signature "running gag" for a month now. When that chant starts up, everyone else joins in like a ritual; the whole table is expected to start chanting "TEE HEE HEE, I AM MYSTIC IN AL!" by the end, and every fucking time I refuse because this is some embarrassing circa-2517 soft "sci-fi" shit, it's always the same thing; "There goes user again! No fun allowed around user! user's just a big grouch who's getting angry because we're smashing the encounter with Mantle of Command again! Why won't you just let us have fun with this character, he's just here for dumb powertripping, you stick-in-the mud!"

These motherfuckers are all over 20 years old.

Mystic in AL is going to be the death of me.

My problem isn't with the people I play with, it's that I have a lot of free time and haven't found a community that has discussions about 5e that interest me.

I think you misread or misunderstood my comment about 12 or less con. The comment about sentinel and pole arm master is directed towards people who would say you should always take those two feats in order on any character who can use martial weapons. Paladin is the best class in the game.

How old is this pasta? I havent seen it yet

It's an edit of this: veekyforums.com/thread/53778223/games/teehee-maccaroni-is-the-bane-of-my-fucking.html

I just made it from the original TEHEE MACCARONI thing

this site looks hella gay

Well to be honest, if you're stating things like 'you should always take X feat combined with Y feat' that does constitute powergaming in itself, but it's not as if discussion on which builds are better than others should be outlawed. It's still an RPG, and your character can focus on raw combat efficiency as well.

Why Paladin specifically? They're really good but it depends on the situation as well as the level you're playing at, no? I don't have any numbers or anything but it feels to me that wizards are more versatile as well as having access to a few extremely powerful spells that can potentially end combat in a single turn.

I'm designing a boss fight for a level 17/18 party that consists of 3 mostly melee martials and one evocation wizard.

The boss itself is a fallen Solar that also has some kind of lair actions. The room where the fight is will be large and open without many obstacles. I want to add a few devils to the fight, but I'm unsure on how many or how strong they should be.

How hard do you think the fight will be, and what monsters should I consider?

Seriously? Isn't that a bit excessive? They'd be level 5 when they finish. I don't want to kill them too soon but I still want the dungeon to be sufficiently tense.

Try bearded or at most barbed

All I can say is don't get your hopes up. It won't be as good as "UA Food and Provisions"

Wait is that a thing? I missed it if it is.

I'm going to be a Variant Human Oath of Vengeance Paladin with the Sentinel feat. Should I go for a DEX build or a STR build?

STR is probably best for most Sentinel builds, since it works best with reach weapons and the only finesse reach weapon is the whip.

>what PDFs?
the AL pdfs for Tomb of anal Annhiliation

What about 1h and shield though? I was less concerned about reach, because I was thinking of just running up to the most powerful enemy and locking him down in close combat so escape became nigh on impossible for it

DM's, what PC-viable races are you disinclined to give the okay to due to your setting? Do you replace the availability of one race option with another?

ToA isn't out yet I believe

You're missing out on a fair bit of value if you skip Reach with Sentinel - the extended range means you can essentially be a brick wall for your party.

Plus pick up Tunnel Fighter if your DM allows it. Reach + Tunnel Fighter + Sentinel = enemies never moving ever again

I personally ok all non homebrew stuff my setting is a kitchen sink and really wouldn't be all that effected by a kenku or tabaxi running around.

Well say I preferred to roll with non-reach, which feats would be more conducive to a build like that than sentinel?

Oh don't get me wrong, Sentinel still works with that build. You can still tank pretty well, just a more specific tank than with Reach.

I dislike letting most Volo's PC races as PC's.

Goblins are fine as adventurers, even though goblins are the typical "raid small towns and get all their loot" creatures that are in EVERY campaign ever, yet nobody seems to have an issue with the kobold/goblin rogue following the party around?
Meanwhile Drow are generally "Kill this thing on sight" even though they're just underground elves.

What are all the storm based archetypes? I want to make a rival NPC party and want to have a theme. UA included.

I disallow most monster races and generally stick to PHB stuff.

As far as replacement goes, I've replaced Half Orcs with Actual Orcs, and Half Elves have become their own distinct race of humanoids... but this is just because I took the Elder Scrolls approach where half-races don't exist and a child always shares the same race as it's mother in any viable coupling.

What kind if things would one find if value in a shooting star?

Would you give weapons made from it some special properties?

I'm playing a wizard that's just hit 6th level, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be (re-)encountering a dickhead necromancer with some serious man-behind-the-curtain political power.
Obviously I want to usurp the throne, but the obstacle of actually killing the necromancer himself is a problem - last session we killed a few clones of him but he was tossing Blights at us like it weren't no thing.
I'm looking at spells to add to my spellbook for 6th level, but I can't find any way to resist or negate save-for-half-damage necrotic spells. Am I fucked?
Other party members are a cleric and a barb.

Storm Rager barbarian, Tempest Cleric, storm Sorcerer, some druid circles, like Artic or something, I don't knowm

Counterspell might help

Not sure about others but there's Tempest Cleric in the PHB and Magic of the Storm Sorcerous Origin in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

it isn't but the season 7 modules got released
was hoping someone might've had them

I have counterspell but beefed the roll (Blight is 4th level) and would prefer something more reliable. Slow seems unuseful against someone with a serial consciousness across multiple bodies, is turreting up in a Tiny Hut worthwhile or painting a target on my head?

You could try blinding him or maybe going invisible yourself - save-resisted spells usually depend on visual contact in more or less crucial manner,

Volo's.

Tiny Hut has a minute for casting time, and a necromancer can likely dispel it

What are the seaon 7 modules?

Oh jesus, add to that polearm master... Looks like I'm going to be RPing as a blender

How much prep would you say is required to run CoS? I'm reading through the module and it's a well built area full of details.

What can I do to turn it into a mini adventure instead of a full fledged campaign? Going on vacation soon with friends and they all want to play. I thought I'd surprise them with some prepped stuff.

Not without making it a huge disservice

5etools question

github.com/astranauta/astranauta.github.io

I'm trying to use the plugin to import some monsters, but when imported they have a character sheet instead of a npc sheet, so I can't click on any special attributes to roll them (e.g. multi-attack/bite) because they aren't present.

Additionally, when rolling the ability checks and saving throws, they are GM rolls instead of public.

Anyway to remedy this? I'm probably doing something dumb.

I'll be playing in an upcoming homebrew campaign, and I'd prefer to play a mounted ranger.

I'll be using the revised ranger and have the option of MC-ing if it doesn't leave too big a power gap between other players.
Also, spears have the finesse property in exchange for losing the thrown property.

I'm thinking of picking up alert (+9 to initiative with advantage form natural explorer), and other feats depending on my build.

I'll be using a Stout Hafling and we rolled for stats giving:
18 (with racial)
18 (with racial)

I figure I can build this two ways, mounted/ melee, or ranged. HM is damage including Hunter's Mark.
For mounted/ melee I figure using a shield and duelling or two weapon fighting style works the best. I figure I'll be using a wolf for mount, as it'll benefit from pack tactics the whole time. The wolf's ASI will be used to boost dex, giving it a higher initiative count.

Duelling gives 17 AC with shield and leather armor, or 18 with scale.

A lance would give 1d12+3 (9.5) (13 HM) and reach, a spear 1d6+6 (9.5) (13 HM) with reach, a rapier 1d8+6 (10.5) (14 HM) which doesn't have reach.
Spear has a slightly lower max damage, but a better bonus to attack rolls (+3 vs +6).
For duelling I would have 15 (leather) or 16 armour (scale), and (1d6+4)*2 for 7.5 (11 HM) per average hit, and no reach.

Viable feats could be mounted combatant, shield master, defensive dualist and Dual wielder (+1 ac, 10.5 average per hit).

For ranged I'd pick crossbow master and possibly sharpshooter (SS). That would give a potential 1d6+6 (9.5) (13 HM) (19.5 SS) (23 HM + SS).

I have a few more options for pets here: Ape (ranged support, climb speed, can be ridden), panther (best speed, stealth, climb speed, pounce isn't great for archery), brown bear (tanky, good speed, good climb speed), giant boar (extra damage, most AC and HP, good speed), and wolf (fighting with teammates, adv. on attacks. when ridden).

Well depends on h ow long you want to play. If you just want a few evenings you might just run Death House, which requires very little prep.

If you really want to properly run the campaign you do need to know the world pretty well I'm told, since it's very open ended and you as the DM won't even know where all the crucial items are located until you do the card reading.

Go with Range Wolf. Knocking Prone + Crossbow Mastery = Tons of advantage.

Shooting a prone target would give me disadvantage, unless I'm hidden which would nullify the disadvantage. Or does CBE nullify the ranged disadvantage on prone targets?

how dangerous are intellect devourers truely and how easily can they get into your head

Hey gents, I'm trying to convince my DM to run us through a premade adventure (CoS) in the mean time what are some good books i can read about Strahd? The only forgotten realms stuff I've read so far is all of the Legend of Drizzt and the Sellswords, as well as the sword mage series by Richard Baker.

To add on to this, any good FR recommendations are welcome, I'm fiending for some good reads.

If you DM is running Curse of Strahd, let him do the reading. Your character most likely wouldn't know anything about Boravia or Strahd. Don't be a metagaming piece of shit.

Read prone condition again. If you are within 5 feet, you get advantage, doesn't matter if you're melee or range. CBE allow you to shoot within 5 feet without penalty.

on the otherhands, if polearm user are screw by prone if they are further than 5 feet.

Probably another shitty UA like Greyhawk Initiative or Three Pillars Experience

I apologise for the confusion, he hasn't agreed to run it yet. I'm just looking for book recommendations for leisure reading in the mean time. And to get hype

> I'm fiending for some good reads
At their best, FR books are what you'd call "airport fiction" things. And whether you enjoy them or not will heavily depend on the author, since by and large a lot of FR writers have a very obvious "voice" to their work. Greenwood, Salvatore, Schend, and so on are examples of this.

I take it you're not a huge fan then lol?
>Airport fiction
It's funny you say that, i picked up The road of the Patriarch in the airport actually

Not forgotton realms

They're one of the easiest ways to insta-kill a player, especially at such a low CR. Good for putting the fear in them.

So, would antilife shell work to keep them out?

I've read stuff from all of them, liked or disliked it to various degrees. But it really does depend, so it's less "I don't like it" and more me saying that if you're after "good" reads then it will strongly depend on whether or not you like how particular FR authors write.

Yes, because they're aberrations and not undead or constructs, but if you know there's an intellect devourer coming and you have a 5th-level spell slot to spare, why not just kill it?

How long would Death House take game time? I thought it was a one day thing. If it can keep us busy for 10+ hours awesome but I doubt that.