/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
We're just gonna discuss Xanathar anyway.

Just reading through the Traps Revisited section, complex traps look pretty fun

XGE is out digital, where are the feats? The last thread only had a partial list.

COLOSSUS SLAYER OR HORDE BREAKER?

Bountiful Luck
Prerequisite: Halfling

Your people have extraordinary luck, which you have learned to mystically lend to your companions when you see them falter. You’re not sure how you do it; you just wish it, and it happens. Surely a sign of fortune’s favor!

When an ally you can see within 30 feet of you rolls a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can use your reaction to let the ally reroll the die. The ally must use the new roll.

When you use this ability, you can’t use your Lucky racial trait before the end of your next turn.

Dragon Fear
Prerequisite: Dragonborn

When angered, you can radiate menace. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength, Constitution, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Instead of exhaling destructive energy, you can expend a use of your Breath Weapon trait to roar, forcing each creature of your choice within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier). A target automatically succeeds on the save if it can’t hear or see you. On a failed save, a target becomes frightened of you for 1 minute. If the frightened target takes any damage, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Horde breaker. You have Hunter's Mark for killing tough enemies, but there are very few ways for a martial to deal with large groups of enemies

Colossus slayer

Dragon Hide
Prerequisite: Dragonborn

You manifest scales and claws reminiscent of your draconic ancestors. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength, Constitution, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Your scales harden. While you aren’t wearing armor, you can calculate your AC as 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
You grow retractable claws from the tips of your fingers. Extending or retracting the claws requires no action. The claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the normal bludgeoning damage for an unarmed strike.

Drow High Magic
Prerequisite: Elf (drow)

You learn more of the magic typical of dark elves. You learn the detect magic spell and can cast it at will, without expending a spell slot. You also learn levitate and dispel magic, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.

Dwarven Fortitude
Prerequisite: Dwarf

You have the blood of dwarf heroes flowing through your veins. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Whenever you take the Dodge action in combat, you can spend one Hit Die to heal yourself. Roll the die, add your Constitution modifier, and regain a number of hit points equal to the total (minimum of 1).

Neither

Why not add on that sweet d8 and kill it faster?

Reminder
>Holy Weapon
>"You imbue a weapon you touch with holy power."
>"As a bonus action on your turn, you can dismiss this spell and cause the weapon to emit a burst of radiance."
>"Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw."
>"On a failed save, a creature takes 4d8 radiant damage, and it is blinded for 1 minute."

>Give weapon to someone else
>Tell them to go off and smite some evil
>Later on blow up everyone around you when the weapon isn't even in your sight

Flames of Phlegethos
Prerequisite: Tiefling

You learn to call on hellfire to serve your commands. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you roll fire damage for a spell you cast, you can reroll any roll of 1 on the fire damage dice, but you must use the new roll, even if it is another 1.
Whenever you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can cause flames to wreathe you until the end of your next turn. The flames don’t harm you or your possessions, and they shed bright light out to 30 feet and dim light for an additional 30 feet. While the flames are present, any creature within 5 feet of you that hits you with a melee attack takes 1d4 fire damage.

Infernal Constitution
Prerequisite: Tiefling

Fiendish blood runs strong in you, unlocking a resilience akin to that possessed by some fiends. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have resistance to cold damage and poison damage.
You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned.

Orcish Fury
Prerequisite: Half-orc

Your inner fury burns tirelessly. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you hit with an attack using a simple or martial weapon, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice an additional time and add it as extra damage of the weapon’s damage type. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Immediately after you use your Relentless Endurance trait, you can use your reaction to make one weapon attack.

Prodigy
Prerequisite: Half-elf, half-orc, or human

You have a knack for learning new things. You gain the following benefits:

You gain one skill proficiency of your choice, one tool proficiency of your choice, and fluency in one language of your choice.
Choose one skill in which you have proficiency. You gain expertise with that skill, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with it. The skill you choose must be one that isn’t already benefiting from a feature, such as Expertise, that doubles your proficiency bonus.

Second Chance
Prerequisite: Halfling

Fortune favors you when someone tries to strike you. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Dexterity, Constitution, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When a creature you can see hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to force that creature to reroll. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you roll initiative at the start of combat or until you finish a short or long rest.

10/10
Please go now

>Whenever you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can cause flames to wreathe you until the end of your next turn. The flames don’t harm you or your possessions, and they shed bright light out to 30 feet and dim light for an additional 30 feet. While the flames are present, any creature within 5 feet of you that hits you with a melee attack takes 1d4 fire damage.
Almost better than Sun Monk's capstone

I was going to say that this is /5eg/, for D&D 5th edition, when I read up to the World of Warcraft part.

What's your GM's thoughts on it?
What about other players?
What's everyone else playing, and what's the setting like?
Do you fit in?

Squat Nimbleness
Prerequisite: Dwarf or a Small race

You are uncommonly nimble for your race. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Increase your walking speed by 5 feet.
You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics or Athletics skill (your choice).
You have advantage on any Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check you make to escape from being grappled.

Wood Elf Magic
Prerequisite: Elf (wood)

You learn the magic of the primeval woods, which are revered and protected by your people. You learn one druid cantrip of your choice. You also learn the longstrider and pass without trace spells, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast these two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.

Tiefling draconic sorcerer (fire) with Empowered Spell Metamagic will be really cool

For my tiefling bard, it basically just makes Heat Metal even better than it already is against armoured enemies.

Not as cool as a Dragonborn Dragonblooded Sorcerer with a 3 dip Celestial Warlock

I don't follow

>Prodigy
Oh good, grapplers don't have to dip rogue anymore.

They changed the 3rd level samurai feature to not be so OP. Good.

What's not to follow?

I bard dip, but I get what you mean.

>They changed the 3rd level samurai feature to be shit.
fify

>DM describes 25 enemies approaching us with weapons, hooting and hollering, calling for blood
>Turn to friend "There's no way we'll actually be fighting 25 peope though, they'll challenge us to fight their champions or something"
>Turn back
>25 minis on the battlemat
That entire fight was glorious

missing elven accuracy, fade away, & fey teleportation

They overdid it, now Samurai joins almost every other fighter archetype in the "not battlemaster so who cares" pool.

Did ya win?

Oh shit, copypaste error. Good catch.

Elven Accuracy
Prerequisite: Elf or half-elf

The accuracy of elves is legendary, especially that of elf archers and spellcasters. You have uncanny aim with attacks that rely on precision rather than brute force. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Whenever you have advantage on an attack roll using Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma, you can reroll one of the dice once.
Fade Away
Prerequisite: Gnome

Your people are clever, with a knack for illusion magic. You have learned a magical trick for fading away when you suffer harm. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Dexterity or Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Immediately after you take damage, you can use a reaction to magically become invisible until the end of your next turn or until you attack, deal damage, or force someone to make a saving throw. Once you use this ability, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
Fey Teleportation
Prerequisite: Elf (high)

Your study of high elven lore has unlocked fey power that few other elves possess, except your eladrin cousins. Drawing on your fey ancestry, you can momentarily stride through the Feywild to shorten your path from one place to another. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You learn to speak, read, and write Sylvan.
You learn the misty step spell and can cast it once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast it in this way when you finish a short or long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Making a Hexblade Tomelock V. Human. Planning on taking prodigy as my starting feat. What would be a good skill to get expertise in that's not perception?

There is no reason to ever play a samurai over a battlemaster that isn't "lol persuasion cheqs xD"-levels of stupid.

Yeah, they could have made it not OP w/o gimping it as bad as they did, but I think 4.5 rounds of auto-advantage per short rest is still pretty good.

You're going to be pumping CHA, so grab a CHA skill.

Would an acceptable change to Hunter Ranger to keep up with the free spells given to the new Ranger subclasses to let them pick another Hunter's Prey feature at 5th, another defensive tactic at 9th, and another Superior Hunter's Defense at 17th?

this desu

I mean jesus at least make it recharge on short rests or scale the THP more or something

Xanathar's Guide to Wizards more like

It's on long rests...

There's very little reason to play any subclass over battlemaster.

>long rests
Pact Magic Master Race

It wasn't originally, did they switch it? If so, it is absolutely ridiculous.

EK has its uses. Cavalier does too now.
Battlemaster is still generally better.

Dwarven Fortitude made dorf rogues even better

Cavaliers are great at what they do, I really want to play one

To elaborate further to help explain game terms:
If you're making an attack roll, it's an attack.
If you're making an attack, it's either a weapon attack or a spell attack; they're mutually exclusive. (Not all attack spells make spell attacks.)
If you're making an attack, it's either a melee attack or a ranged attack; they're mutually exclusive.

Related things of note:
Do not confuse "the Attack action" with "attack"s.
Improvised weapons are either melee weapons or ranged weapons, depending on whether you're using them to make a melee attack or a ranged attack respectively.

I guess EK can be good if you don't want to/can't multiclass, but you have to have a pretty specific campaign type for the Cavalier

Is there any other god from the Forgotten Realms for Grave Cleric other than Kelemvor?

Yep, largely thanks to a really clutch Sleep spell from the Bard. He rolled 34 and dropped 5 wounded enemies to the floor instantly. They were next in initiative and would've messed me up pretty bad if he hadn't done that.

After we thrashed most of them, we negotiated a more "civilized" and fair solution: The Monk and I fight 5 men each, no armour, no weapons. We took a short rest and got right into it. Bard used vicious mockery from the sidelines to help us out, the disadvantage from it saved us from taking a lot of hits (dropping from 18AC to 13 SUCKS).

>mfw the last guy tried to run after I broke his friend's arm but I stopped him with Sentinel

What are some things that I can make Strahd do to really make him feel like a 20+ int bad guy? Scrying and spying is a given, but being a centuries old genius tactician and wizard must allow him to do some other crazy shit.

Have him frame the party members and try to cause in-fighting.

Also, don't confuse weapons and weapon attacks.

A dagger is a melee weapon. But when you throw a dagger, you're making a ranged weapon attack, not a melee weapon attack.

And when you make an unarmed strike, you're making a melee weapon attack. But unarmed strikes are not a weapon.

>you have to have a pretty specific campaign type for the Cavalier
It's THE optimal choice for a fighter in the tank role.

Oh, didn't see the changes. Yeah, they're better now.
I wanted the Samurai nerfed, but I do think they went a little too far with the change.

Cool! Sounds like a fun campaign.

Anyone mind sharing Samurai changes?

Yeah, sorry, see:
They used to be solely mounted fighters (or maybe that was knights).

I don't think samurai needed a nerf before. I think battlemaster was still decisively superior.

Appreciate it.

Bhaal possibly.

Myrkul, Shar, Bhaal, Yurtrus.

They are in the leaks mega link in the OP.

You guys told me that at the dinner strahd would let us go but instead he has closed up the castle and now we're stuck inside, you lied to me TG!

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: History, Insight, Performance, or Persuasion. Alternatively, you learn one language of your choice.

Fighting Spirit
Starting at 3rd level, your intensity in battle can shield you and help you strike true. As a bonus action on your turn, you can give yourself advantage on weapon attack rolls until the end of the current turn. When you do so, you also gain 5 temporary hit points. The number of temporary hit points increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 10 at 10th level and 15 at 15th level.

You can use this feature three times, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

Elegant Courtier
Starting at 7th level, your discipline and attention to detail allow you to excel in social situations. Whenever you make a Charisma (Persuasion) check, you gain a bonus to the check equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Your self-control also causes you to gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have this proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in Intelligence or Charisma saving throws (your choice).

Tireless Spirit
Starting at 10th level, when you roll initiative and have no uses of Fighting Spirit remaining, you regain one use.

If you've got time, I'd recommend the following books:
>I, Strahd
>Vampire of the Mists
>Knight of the Black Rose

Those are great books for understanding Strahd, but if you only had time for one I'd go with I, Strahd.

Rapid Strike
Starting at 15th level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you take the Attack action on your turn and have advantage on an attack roll against one of the targets, you can forgo the advantage for that roll to make an additional weapon attack against that target, as part of the same action. You can do so no more than once per turn.

Strength before Death
Starting at 18th level, your fighting spirit can delay the grasp of death. If you take damage that reduces you to 0 hit points and doesn’t kill you outright, you can use your reaction to delay falling unconscious, and you can immediately take an extra turn, interrupting the current turn. While you have 0 hit points during that extra turn, taking damage causes death saving throw failures as normal, and three death saving throw failures can still kill you. When the extra turn ends, you fall unconscious if you still have 0 hit points.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

I think 1.5×3 rounds of physical resistance and autoadvantage on all attack rolls, per short rest, is more than nerf-worthy.

Once they fight him, for the first turn only, have every party member describe you their action.
Then Strahd acts first knowing what the players will do.

Just say 6 rounds of attacking advantage and 3 rounds of damage resistance (and damage resistance only to BPS mind you) since in virtually all combats you're not taking hits on your own turn.
You have to compare it to barbarian, who gets more than those benefits effectively all the time.

Can you whack with your bow in melee as a Kensei monk, be proficient at it, and reap all the benefits?

>Artwork of a northern realm
>There isn't a single black person in the shot

Why? Don't they know Africans and Middle Easterners have been in Scandinavia since before prehistoric times?

Crafting an Item

A character who has the time, the money, and the needed tools can use downtime to craft armor, weapons, clothing, or other kinds of nonmagical gear.

Resources and Resolution. In addition to the appropriate tools for the item to be crafted, a character needs raw materials worth half of the item’s selling cost. To determine how many workweeks it takes to create an item, divide its gold piece cost by 50. A character can complete multiple items in a workweek if the items’ combined cost is 50 gp or lower. Items that cost more than 50 gp can be completed over longer periods of time, as long as the work in progress is stored in a safe location.

Multiple characters can combine their efforts. Divide the time needed to create an item by the number of characters working on it. Use your judgment when determining how many characters can collaborate on an item. A particularly tiny item, like a ring, might allow only one or two workers, whereas a large, complex item might allow four or more workers.

A character needs to be proficient with the tools needed to craft an item and have access to the appropriate equipment. Everyone who collaborates needs to have the appropriate tool proficiency. You need to make any judgment calls regarding whether a character has the correct equipment. The following table provides some examples.

Proficiency Items
Herbalism kit Antitoxin, potion of healing
Leatherworker’s tools Leather armor, boots
Smith’s tools Armor, weapons
Weaver’s tools Cloaks, robes

Weapons with the ammunition property used in melee are counted as improvised weapons.

Cool, I'll give them a read. Thanks

If all the above requirements are met, the result of the process is an item of the desired sort. A character can sell an item crafted in this way at its listed price.

Crafting Magic Items. Creating a magic item requires more than just time, effort, and materials. It is a long-term process that involves one or more adventures to track down rare materials and the lore needed to create the item.

Potions of healing and spell scrolls are exceptions to the following rules. For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” later in this section and the “Scribing a Spell Scroll” section, below.

To start with, a character needs a formula for a magic item in order to create it. The formula is like a recipe. It lists the materials needed and steps required to make the item.

An item invariably requires an exotic material to complete it. This material can range from the skin of a yeti to a vial of water taken from a whirlpool on the Elemental Plane of Water. Finding that material should take place as part of an adventure.

The Magic Item Ingredients table suggests the challenge rating of a creature that the characters need to face to acquire the materials for an item. Note that facing a creature does not necessarily mean that the characters must collect items from its corpse. Rather, the creature might guard a location or a resource that the characters need access to.

Magic Item Ingredients
Item Rarity CR Range
Common 1–3
Uncommon 4–8
Rare 9–12
Very rare 13–18
Legendary 19+

If appropriate, pick a monster or a location that is a thematic fit for the item to be crafted. For example, creating mariner’s armor might require the essence of a water weird. Crafting a staff of charming might require the cooperation of a specific arcanaloth, who will help only if the characters complete a task for it. Making a staff of power might hinge on acquiring a piece of an ancient stone that was once touched by the god of magic — a stone now guarded by a suspicious androsphinx.

In addition to facing a specific creature, creating an item comes with a gold piece cost covering other materials, tools, and so on, based on the item’s rarity. Those values, as well as the time a character needs to work in order to complete the item, are shown on the Magic Item Crafting Time and Cost table. Halve the listed price and creation time for any consumable items.

Magic Item Crafting Time and Cost
Item Rarity Workweeks* Cost*
Common 1 50 gp
Uncommon 2 200 gp
Rare 10 2,000 gp
Very rare 25 20,000 gp
Legendary 50 100,000 gp
*Halved for a consumable item like a potion or scroll

To complete a magic item, a character also needs whatever tool proficiency is appropriate, as for crafting a nonmagical object, or proficiency in the Arcana skill.

If all the above requirements are met, the result of the process is a magic item of the desired sort.

Complications. Most of the complications involved in creating something, especially a magic item, are linked to the difficulty in finding rare ingredients or components needed to complete the work. The complications a character might face as byproducts of the creation process are most interesting when the characters are working on a magic item: there’s a 10 percent chance for every five workweeks spent on crafting an item that a complication occurs. The Crafting Complications table provides examples of what might happen.

Crafting Complications
d6 Complication
1 Rumors swirl that what you’re working on is unstable and a threat to the community.*
2 Your tools are stolen, forcing you to buy new ones.*
3 A local wizard shows keen interest in your work and insists on observing you.
4 A powerful noble offers a hefty price for your work and is not interested in hearing no for an answer.*
5 A dwarf clan accuses you of stealing its secret lore to fuel your work.*
6 A competitor spreads rumors that your work is shoddy and prone to failure.*
*Might involve a rival

Brewing Potions of Healing. Potions of healing fall into a special category for item crafting, separate from other magic items. A character who has proficiency with the herbalism kit can create these potions. The times and costs for doing so are summarized on the Potion of Healing Creation table.

Potion of Healing Creation
Type Time Cost
Healing 1 day 25 gp
Greater healing 1 workweek 100 gp
Superior healing 3 workweeks 1,000 gp
Supreme healing 4 workweeks 10,000 gp

There are ways of leaving, don't worry. I distinctly remember, for example, a portal room with the hourglass.
I've extensively used it to justify why Strahd and his cronies can suddenly appear at the worst possible times

What the fuck is the point of Sword College and Glamour College? They seem like absolute garbage, where the fuck did College of Satire go?

All I wanted from xanthars was a version of sun monk that wasn't obviously terrible, so my silly moon druid/sun monk build that turns into a flying viper with huge dex and spits fireballs could be a little less of a gimmick

So it's improvised, and does d4 damage. This is already stuff I know.
Would the monk be proficient?

>where the fuck did College of Satire go
Rode away on a tiny unicycle

Anyone else think that the XGtE encounter building section is not nearly as useful as just using the encounter building section in the DMG?

College of Swords & College of Command/KNEEL spam looks like a ton of fun.

The fuck is a work week?
Couldn't they have just given it in days/hours?

Are monks naturally proficient in improvised weapons?
I know the answer to that - do you?

I didn't post the beginning of the downtime section, but downtime is divided to workweeks. One workweek is 5 days, and 8 hours a day must be committed to the task for the day to count. But days don't need to be consecutive.

Except that is the main class gimmick, and this is a subclass. Not to mention you don't have to deal with having advantage against you, and you have many more attacks to take advantage of that auto-advantage because you're a fighter.
The subclass was arguably the best one, but now with the chages made, it's just terrible.

Had a similar event.

In a fight with some Tricksy Fae-warriors. Nothing too strong, around CR 1-2 I think.

We get surrounded by 8 in the forest who demand we yield and surrender.

I literally say "Come on GM, we're level 9 characters with a party of 6, can you throw some actually challanging encounters our way because we tend to just breeze through everything, hell why don't you just double what we are fighting here it MIGHT make it interesting."

"Okay, sure user, there are now 16 Fae-Warriors surrounding you."
"That's more like it! Roll Initiative!"
"user, can you read this little bit in my notes."
"Lets see, the party of Fae warriors will approach the party, 8 of them upfront, and a further 16 stalk under the veil of invisibility."
"Oh, so that's now 48 in total?"
"Yup, Roll Initiative."

We were hype, and scared.

Then I cast Destructive wave and killed every single one with a decent damage roll since they only had 20ish hit points each and D-wave has a huge AoE.

Obviously that's just a picture of a couple of Neanderthal cave-beasts fighting over scraps. The true Eboniod master race would never stoop to such levels

Is elven accuracy a fucking joke? it feels so overwrought when they could just say "that isn't strength or constitution" and have the exact same meaning

>Swords
>Garbage
wew lad

Is the Knight trash? I'm tempted to make a classic case of the farmer boy running off to hopefully get a chance to don that silvered armor and mighty destrier, but I don't know if it's just going to wind up an exercise in futility.

Cunning Action Dash was a mistake.

Christ, couldn't they have just said 5 days? What, isn't my character allowed to craft items on a week end?

It used to allow for weird but FUN elf barbarian builds, but now it's been relegated back to only being good for rogues and maybe some spellcasters.

Geez, how far along the spectrum are you?

The pre-order feats for XGE got released on DM's guild. Anyone got a look at em yet?

>you don't have to deal with having advantage against you
You have resistance to all damage at any relevant time - you don't care. I've both played barbs and labbed them out through so much shit; reckless attack giving enemies advantage against you is just something you DON'T CARE ABOUT.

Knight? You mean the old UA Knight, or the new Cavalier from Xanathar's?

See:
It's the strongest of the Xanathar's fighter subclasses