/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything — New Player Options and Spells
mega.nz/#!U7RkBJrI!76abnPsumdl4qV_KnYObbDP5g7cAV4yvpJCVJlHjrUk

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Redpill me on standard DnD afterlife. If a creature planeshifts there, can it live there, even if it's not dead? Will it stay alive, or will the plane eventually claim it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N_vildqkupI
youtube.com/watch?v=tBx0EH4ogjY
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathars Guide To Everything (DDB Rip).pdf
youtu.be/b_NNJguDL1g
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathar's Guide To Everything.pdf
d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/sword-dueling/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only the noble knight background is any fun.

The lords of those realms know who's dead and essentially belong there and who is visiting.

I think the plane won't do anything to them, but the locals might object.

It depends on the setting. For instance, the different afterlife planes in Planescape has varying rules ranging from "devotees only" to welcoming you with open arms and hungry mouths to shit like the beastlands literally turning you into an animal.

Having your hot dm play 3 npc attend your character is fun.

Willing to post some stuff from the book via shitty iPhone. Also, willing to try out the new character creation options roll tables.

Also, why are gambeson/aketon superior to leather armor?

Out of any background, period?
No way man, Sage, Soldier, Pirate, and Folk Hero are all fun (those are the ones I've played, plus Noble knight which was fun as well), but my DM is good at integrating that stuff.

Why did they nerf thinga that didn't need it? Give wizards way more spells than necessary? Who the fuck hired the editor?

They really butchered the whole concept of a drunken master. Does meals not watch Kung Fu movies for inspiration?

>Mind Spike is better at tracking people than Hunter's Mark AND Locate Creature
ENOOOOUUGH!!!

>Die heroically while charging into a dragon with my axe
>Valkyries personally come to take me to Valhalla
>I can't wait to drink mead with Odin and meet all those legendary warriors
>Enter the meadhall
>It's full of faggy wizards, none of whom are even fucking dead
>mfw

It's better than it was in the UA at least, but I'm disappointed no drinking mechanics. I mean come on.

Gambeson is basically a k9 unit training suit, quite resistant to piercing and blunt force (leather is bad at these).

Bravo. Do you want anything from the book, my fellow?

What's the final verdict on the hexblade warlock, redemption paladin and monster monster ranger?

They made it all about mobility and greater damage to multiple targets than focusing on a single one, which I think is at least mechanically sound considering how people use stunning fist. It might have felt more thematically appropriate if it was about punishing enemies that try to attack you or something along those lines, but I'm just glad the capstone wasn't breathing fire

youtube.com/watch?v=N_vildqkupI

>hexblade warlock
Still not enough to satisfy greedy gishfags
>redemption paladin
Absolute trash. Every good idea about it from Arcana was gutted, and replaced by almost universally despised Tranquility monk features
>monster monster ranger
It's fine, I guess

>Hot DM
O Im laffin

>hexblade
AC on a warlock? K thx, don't need the melee with Cha.

>redemption
Needs AC

>Monster Slayer
It's a ranger.

youtube.com/watch?v=tBx0EH4ogjY

They wanted to omit alcohol as a key feature of the class (which makes sense), but nothing says you can't literally pull out a flask and get hammered.

I was thinking of taking Magic Initiate on my Bard to give them even more free shit. Hex + Eldritch Blast are a given, what other Warlock Cantrip should I take?

>Drunken master
Inferior mobile feat crutch and shitty 'gotta go fast' flavour
>Kensai
Champion, but for monks
>Sun soul
Does fucking nothing aside from allow you to spend ki to make your bonus action attacks at range
Otherwise just remember that monks can use fucking bows

Why did we get this shit? Why didn't we get tranquility monk?

>Hexblade

Bretty gud. Pact of the blade with them is pretty awesome, but e blast spam still works fine if you want to go tome or chain.

>redemption

Solid but lags a little bit in the middle levels.

>Monster Hunter

Good, will benefit a lot from a dip into warlock and/or rogue

.I get and understand not wanting to include alcohol references, but it would have been easy to reskin as 'ki infused water' or potions, or herbal supplements or whatever.

>At 11th level, you learn to attack with such unexpected speed that you can turn a miss into
another strike. Once on each of your turns when you miss with a weapon attack, you can make
another weapon attack as part of the same action

Did they just fuck up on the wording or does this mean you can keep whacking away until you hit?

>Once on each of your turns
no

Is it just me or can you not use improvised weapons as monk weapons?
That seems an integral part of the class.

>Once on each of your turns

>once on each of your turns
Learn to read, my dude.

>Once

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathars Guide To Everything (DDB Rip).pdf

>American education

How about "this is your life" or at least the origins?

Custom race for a custom campaign. Mechanical feedback sought, but fluff welcomed as well.

Can I sew limbs back on my favourite zombie with a leatherworking kit? I want the guy in tip-top combat shape and he's pretty 'armless at the moment

wowee

youtu.be/b_NNJguDL1g

Are they furfag?

can someone post feats for xanathars?

>Mearls actually talking about mechanics
Wow, Reddit must have really got to him.

Although it's not entirely inappropriate in this case, it'd be nice if not every race had fucking darkvision.

Just attach a sword or something where his arm used to be.

The Quentin Wizard in the last thread's inspired me to run a Pulp Fiction themed one shot. Any advice on how to go about this? What class would Zed be? And what race is the gimp?

gnome

They're based off pic related. I'll be sure to include adequate furfaggotry next time into their fluff.

Darkvision master race, etc.

Ah I see, so my feedback would be to castrate yourself

Darkvision would be a fantastic racial feature if every other guy didn't have it

In my ToA campaign, I'm the only character with darkvision. Whoops.

And like a dummie, I forget the pic.

Thank you; it's not feedback without at least one call for harm.

Yup.

You should invest more points in Hot DM next time you look for a game.

What Odin doesn't advertise: you and your valhallan friends are immortal, the wizards aren't. And wizards make great punching bags.

>Hat of Wizardry
I can be a less-shitty Presto? Hell yeah.

I'm not saying I wish harm on you, furry, only that you would improve the world by doing so

rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/Rulebooks/Supplements/Xanathar's Guide To Everything.pdf
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My rogue human is the only one who *doesn't*. Frustrating as hell.

80% of furfags are hardcore on the "fag" part of that. Castration ain't removing anything from the genepool that would have likely been passed on anyway.

Maybe they'll feel less horny and won't constantly post their bullshit in my face then.

Considering you were asking for the furfaggotry, I assumed you were the furry, user.

Alright lads, I've got a few newbie questions I need answered since I'm scouring the PHB for an understanding, and I just don't bloody get it. I know these might be "obvious" questions, but I've already looked over the books and just need them answered to get things out of the way.

>How often does a character receive feats?
>How do skill increases work? I know you "select" skills at CharGen, but how do they increase?
>How do I increase my damage output? As far as I can tell, there is no Power Attack

every 4 levels using ability score improvements
using feats or training yourself to gain proficiency with new skills
by using a better weapon

>every 4 levels using ability score improvements
Thought so! I wasn't aware you had to choose between the ability score increase or the feat, but that's fair considering how much more powerful feats are in 5e.

>using feats or training yourself to gain proficiency with new skills
Yeah, I was thinking that as soon as I hit Post, there's also Proficiency which increases as you level!

How would you rate the UA sorcerer origins?

Some classes get more ASIs like fighter.

>>How often does a character receive feats?

You can choose a feat instead of an ASI when you would earn one. So every 4 levels or so assuming no multiclassing. Fighters get a little more.

>skill increases

your bonus will go up when either 1) your proficiency bonus increases (listed on the class charts), or 2) the skill associated with it gets a better modifier.

>Damage output

That greatly depends on what class you're playing. Martials have feats (Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Sharpshooter) that give them new ways to increase their damage. Rogues get better sneak attacks, casters can upcast/use stronger spells, etc etc.

Feats are an optional rule and can be selected in place of an ability score increase when you level up.
Skills do not increase, you either have them or don't. However, those that you have will get better as your proficiency and relevant stats increase.
More attacks mostly, there is a sharpshooter and great weapon mastery feat that are better power attack.

Usually, every four levels you get an ability score increase, and you can trade those in for feats. Some classes like Fighter get more.

Everyone has a global Proficiency score that goes up every so often. Since skills are just flags for when you get to add your Proficiency bonus, that's when they go up. This does NOT happen as often as it did in 3e.

Get higher level abilities that add to your damage in some way, like bonus damage or extra attacks. Again, this does NOT happen as much as it did in 3e. Number inflation is a lot flatter for everything.

That's cleared up everything I did not know about the game! Now it's just a matter of figuring out what Backgrounds are and how they work (which is in the book, so I can't get too confused) and I'm ready to build my first character.

>(which is in the book, so I can't get too confused)
and yet, all the other questions you asked were ALSO in the book

Backgrounds are where your character came from before they became an adventurer. They typically give you some proficiencies (including in skills), along with a minor mechanical benefit and guidance on creating your character's personality.

Good luck with your first character and, I assume, game!

not bookmarked, but high res and its the full scan

Fighters get 7 ASI, Rogues get 6, all else get 5.

>Fighter (Folk Hero)

Oh you better believe I'm hyped! He's going to be the local strongman who's seen as the village champion, and destined to do great things! Too bad he's quite lost in the city, and has taken a liking to the more lurid vices found therein.

There's no way to give a long sword finesse, is there?

Kensei Monk

Sure there is. Just beg your DM for a sunsword.

Maybe talk to your DM about it? It shouldn't be hard to suggest there are long, slender slashing swords built around finesse.

There is. You swap it for a rapier. Rapiers are basically just longswords with finesse, the versatile property does fucking nothing.

Thirsting Blade vs Booming Blade for a Hexblade Bladelock who uses a Saber/Rapier? If I used a Greatsword what about then?

Five gnomes in a gimp suit.

Versatile is what I'm looking for. Was thinking of some kind of Samurai/Rogue multiclass and wanted to versatile a "katana" (long sword).

That's what I was thinking as well.

Now this is more like it. How could I forget about the sun sword? That's a fantastic idea.

>That's what I was thinking as well.

Send this link to him: d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/weapon-descriptions/sword-dueling/ and ask if there could be an equivalent in your campaign.

Playing a Fighter with a DM that doesn't allow Feats sounds like the worst experience there is.

i'm new to the game and want to DM a game for my boys who are (except for one) also beginners.
i personally have lead stories in the past with different games (middle earth rpg and MAGUS) but never dnd
our group has a size of about 5-6 plus DM
is there a pre-made story for rookies you could recommend?

Battle Master, Arcane Archer, and Eldritch Knight sound playable with that. It will feel a bit sad without GWM/Sharpshooter/Warcaster/Shield Master but it's doable.

So what's a good Warlock patron to pick? I hate the class with a passion but in an attempt to play every class once I've gotta do it. Invocations? Spells? Patron? The only thing I know I'm not touching is Hexblade because it's blatantly better then all other patrons.

I would only tolerate it if the DM is godlike and has taken them away because he has expertly balanced the combat encounters. But how often does that happen really?

So regarding the Hexblade Hex Warrior feature, it mentions that it can be applied to the pact weapon "no matter the weapon's type"
But it says that you're proficient in your pact weapon regardless, and Hexblade gives you proficiency in martial weapons, but the warrior feature can't be used on weapons with the 2-handed property
So is it redundancy?

Get the 5E Starter set. Comes with a pre-made adventure and the rules basics.

Hexblade isn't really that broken or disgustingly good. It's on par with the other best option which is Fiend. And Fiend is arguably better depending on what you want to do.

Eldritch Knight and Cavalier would be playable. EK does good damage no matter what melee weapon they're using thanks to the BB/GFB plus Attack. Meanwhile Cavalier seems like it could still be fun marking people and figuring out the best way to position yourself to protect people and get your mega Cavalier attacks.

No, because what it's saying is that blade pact Hexblades can use greatswords and still get the benefits of Hex Warrior. It's just oddly written.

Ah, that makes sense
Has there been any clarification from the likes of Mearles and such?

>Cast-Off Armor
>Armor (light, medium, or heavy), common
>You can doff this armor as an action.

Stripper Armor?

You can basically use whatever weapon you want with a Hexblade Pact of the Blade, if you get Improved Pact Weapon you can add Shortbows, Longbows, Light Crossbows, and Heavy Crossbows to the list of things that you can now use your Charisma Mod for.

Obviously.
The fact it helps if you get thrown overboard is just a slight benefit.

>Ancestral guardian table says spirit shield is d8s
>text says d6

who the fuck proofread this?

Tenser's Transformation users can get some use out of this.

I just got a 3rd 1st level spell. Can someone sell me on Snare? It seems cool but my save DC is only 12 and a 40% chance to have my spell do nothing seems kinda shitty when I could just take something that always works like detect magic or goodberry.

Again, versatile is entirely useless. The only way I can see it being used is if a rogue (with a vesatile+finesse weapon that doesn't exist yet) who doesn't have shield proficiency and who doesn't want to grapple or hold a light or do anything with their other hand and not use a crossbow or have two weapon fighting prepared wants to use it for at most +1 damage/turn over a rapier, which is hardly a big deal.

So solely booming blade focused AT or swashbuckler rogues, I guess.