Complicated

What kind of story would be fitting for a 90s Skater & Graffiti Campaign?

and where should it be set?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjzBHUdsI
youtube.com/watch?v=rO11O19y98U
youtu.be/yul7HU37DqE
youtube.com/watch?v=_9jYexcBFoc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What kind of story would be fitting for a 90s Skater & Graffiti Campaign?
a story, of the west side kind

>and where should it be set?
in my ass desu

Ideally, some kind of urban fantasy investigative type story. Like the X-Files meets the Skateboard Kid.

Should be set in New York, obviously.

youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjzBHUdsI

Aliens?

>The local government, the cops and half of the adults in town are forming a conspiracy.
>It starts with absurd curfews and random room-checks for energy drinks, spray cans and punkrock albums.
>They took art-class and sports out of the curriculum and fired the favorite, rad teacher. >They closed down the skate bowl and teenagers aren't welcome at the mall anymore... >Totally uncool bro!
>But the rad teacher hasn't disappeared completely, he has gone into hiding to protect himself!
>He tells you the adults are forming a satanic cult and are planning to make all teenagers miserable by stopping them from having fun to appease their dark lord
>The only way to stop them is by showing them how to have fun again and shake them from their demonic influence
>By doing rad skateboarding, parcours, spraying graffiti messages and breaking into places they're not supposed to be
>absolutely tubular dude

Set it in a small town with limited cops but enough stuck up conservative adults. Small schools, everyone knows each other. Go hard 90ies.
Let me know what system you will be using, I want to play this myself now.

I was thinking Gurps. Any better ideas?

>Set it in a small town with limited cops but enough stuck up conservative adults. Small schools, everyone knows each other. Go hard 90ies.
Nah fuck it, big city hood. Keep the familiar people thing, more opportunity for heartless gentrification of the corporate kind. "Evict the undesirables for the good of our beloved city" slogans and all that.

Fate is probably better if you're more concerned with playing up tropes rather than mechanics.

i'm not too familiar with Fate. Tell me about it, whats different?

It's a narrative system where your backstory and personality have a mechanical effect on your character's abilities. Instead of say Traveller or Burning Wheel where you progress through background trees, in Fate you sort of cone up with it all yourself. You create traits and flaws, which play into a meta currency meant for roleplay.

The system is meant for playing film characters in the vein of Indiana Jones or Marty McFly.

describe what character you'd play.

It's not shit beancounting autism simulation.

If you aren't playing this with VeloCity you're doing this wrong by default though

I'd personally say Old World of Darkness.
It's one of those cases where it would take far too long to list all the reasons, but it fits mood-wise and crunch-wise, and likewise it's what all these kids played.

Differences in taste, but I'd play it as a small town so that there are no anonymous factors. As a GM you're forced to name each character they encounter which you should do anyway because the players know everyone in town. And as a player you're left to wonder with every character you meet whether or not they are involved in the conspiracy.
Or maybe I've been watching too much xfiles.

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF 2002, THERE IS ONLY AVRIL

SO MUCH FOR MY HAPPYENDING

DREAD

Mark Ecko’s Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure.
But, you know, with white people.
Suckas never learn.

The game takes place in a small coastal city, West or East, over the course of a summer. In search for something to occupy their time, the PCs, presumably teens, discover that there are spatial anomalies and temporal glitches all over the city, like in that one short from the Animatrix, "Beyond." At first, it's all fun and games as the PCs explore and exploit these oddities for fun, and they keep them a secret from their parents as they don't want to have the adults spoil their good time. After a while though, more anomalies and glitches show up, putting the city's residents and the PCs and their families in danger. It then becomes up to them to figure out what's really happening and set things right.

Awesome to the max

The Warriors, but with punk rock and skateboards.

For real though, having players tag the side of a moving train by subway surfing would be a hell of a boss fight.

I mean as cookie cutter as she was...the songs were pretty catchy.

Wasn't her acoustic stuff like actually good when she turned the rock princess gimmick off?

Pretty much just Jet Set Radio, a bunch of punks roller skating and putting graffiti on the walls while avoiding the fuzz

oh yeah i was a massive fan (i was the same age as her at the time that album came out). apart from that weeb album her later stuff was alright, i just had to grow out of the cringy "i only listen to metal rawr \m/" shit

This.
cWoD, in Seattle or LA. The enemy should be the Technocracy or Pentex, and PCs should be Hunters or soon-to-be Mages.

Never forget, she's also besties with Eiichiro Oda.
youtube.com/watch?v=rO11O19y98U

I still can't fucking believe this is real. The fact that what is basically a middle-schooler's AMV is official blows my fucking mind.

No, she sucked live.
youtu.be/yul7HU37DqE

Your ass ain't big enough for the two of us, Dirty Dan.

The only reason she did the faux-punk crap was because nobody wanted to hear her acoustic work.
Thankfully, some kindhearted music exec gave her a new gimmick, and you idiots ate it up, so now, I have to listen to 'complicated' on the shitty variety station every day at work.
Thanks a lot, assholes.

He's not Dirty Dan. I'm Dirty Dan!

So like Ghostwriter, kind of?

You are not wrong

What this guy said.

I read this and instantly thought of Shaun White Skateboarding for the xbox 360 a game that I played growing up and while I wasn't a big fan of skateboarding, I really liked the narrative they had.
The government and most normal people were sapped of their 'flow' which is essentially what made them live. Not like everyone was a zombie kinda deal, but everyone who used to be a fun-loving, artistic, free spirit, they became corporate wage slaves who listened way too much to the propaganda that made everyone look and act the same.
You could free people from the bad guys by showing off your skills and releasing some magic back into the world around them. Your powers would even allow you to shape the physical world around you to break, make, or reshape it how you wanted.
At the end, I was happy to complete it and see everyone and everything back to how it should be.
What I think was the best part about it though is the opening where Shaun White is taken captive by the government, and you're brought in to question him. He gives you his personal effects, including his trusty skateboard that has the words 'Who are you?' written on it, breaking you free from the government's control and making you back into your own person that you could now control as a player. Shaun trusted you to carry on the story in his place. He was actually what turned you from an NPC into a playable character that could be designed and fleshed out. I'll never forget that feeling

Go ahead and make fun of my shit taste in games anons, but I still think that game got the feeling of 'fight the power' just right.

This

Tony Hawk was better

new jersey and/or suburbia

Skateboarding games where insanely awesome.

Should be set in 2002 LA
>party is a wannabe Jackass crew
>all skaters, in bad nu-metal bands etc
>shit gets weird and dark
>NPC does a skating stunt and dies
>turns undead
>party cursed and trying to not get murdered
>all npcs close to the party who they interact with die in gruesome ways
>party becomes demonic and is hunted by do gooders
>campaign ends up in Iraq, Interacts with all the weird shit of the early 2000s

Totally different singer when just sitting down and focusing only on singing rather than jumping around.

youtube.com/watch?v=_9jYexcBFoc

Amy Lee from Evanescence suffered from the same thing if I remember right, where her voice was pretty good when she was just sitting or standing singing, but jumping around on stage "rocking out" it was a total mess.

>Hackers
A film who's main song is Voodoo People by The Prodigy.

Did 2000s sk8rs really listen to much rave music?

VeloCITY then?