Post alien planets in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties
youtube.com/watch?v=ioKidcpkZN0
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21707386
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tidal locking.

ANU, CHEEKI BREEKI

I wonder why it's starting at its planet.

What kind of planet would you have an earth sized planet with a mountain that literally breached it's own atmosphere?

Tidal forces would wear the mountain down, essentially.

>alien planets
>with habitable zones and breathable atmospheres

Have a chlorine world, then.

This is the ideal beach planet. You may not like it, but this is what peak beachness looks like.

I'm sad I never got to go there. I had tickets, but the cycle before was Diva Plavalaguna's last show, and they suspended all tours to Fhloston Paradise after that.

Look at this planet.

I am.

only planet worth talking about

Well, if all you care about is the size, you can just lower the density until the gravity's low enough that the mountain's stable.

One with a very thin atmosphere.

Another desert world. This one has high plateaus.

>tfw outside of the obvious mario meme continents, Mario Odyssey's globe is pretty great.

>sunward side is tropical with a massive ocean
>not an inhospitable barren wasteland of literally-burnt sand
Even with a strong magnetosphere, that's pushing it.

I mean, that does depend a lot on how close it is to the sun, neh?

Not necessarily. You could have an Earth copy with an atmosphere comprised near totally of urianium hexafloride. With the same pressure as Earth's atmosphere it would reach only as high as low hills, and walking up a few hundred meters could put you in 'space'.

>implying continents are guaranteed to lie on the substellar point

How do you do, fellow planets?

Name a better planet
Pro tip:you can't

Thanks medtech

Does this trigger you, Anakin?
>jungle world
Gross.

>paradise_by_aexlpls-dadrxw1.jpg
>paradise
>there's no snow

>This is the ideal beach planet
Come on

Didn't seem too unreasonable. Everest is already at "would kill anyone not Climbatized" level altitude and it's not even the biggest mountain in the solar system.

That's not what the filename says.

I guess the biggest question is what do you mean when you say "breaches atmosphere"

The Karman line 100k up is typically what people mean by the "edge of space". That's a stretch to me but I wouldn't consider outside the reams of possibility

The thing is, Mars is very small and has weak gravity. But yeah, Olympus pretty much does breach the atmosphere.

More like swamp world

>climbatized
nice

What do you people think of Space Engineers-style "microplanets?" I just think they're an interesting concept.

Like how the Damogram in hitchhikers guide is described as a pleasant "beach" planet. But how a planet consisting of nothing but small little island chains would be logistically unappetising rather than be some sort of highly desired resort world.

It's just an odd yet logical thing to see mentioned. Just because people like tropical Islands doesn't means a whole tropical island planet would be wanted.

Is that planet supposed to be habitable? if so how?

Remind me of the ridiculous scale that the beach planet in the Rouge One movie poster is show at.

I'd always like how Charon and Pluto are locked together. Of course most writers don't mention Pluto little and bring up it's "moon"

Trojan orbits are so pretty cool to

Wondered if I'd see this here.

It's a resort world. People like staying in hotels for short periods but staying there permanently will suck. The only locals will be resort staff who rotate off world.

>Those inland seas
>Huge Archipelagoes
It looks so comfy for a sailing the high seas type of game

West coats must get some fuck awful stroms.

Does lack of landmass make waves larger?

Like if I take a planet that is basically Earth, but all landmass but Australia is removed, would I need to imagine larger waves?

I did like the high gavity timed slowed tide planet in interstellar. Moronic character decisions not with standing.

But there shouldn't be any water on that side. I think.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties

>Unlike the northern hemisphere, the large tracts of open ocean south of the 40th parallel south (interrupted only by Tasmania, New Zealand, and the southern part of South America) allow higher windspeeds to develop.[1] Similar but stronger wind conditions prevalent closer to the South Pole are referred to as the "Furious Fifties" (50 to 60 degrees south), and the "Shrieking" or "Screaming Sixties" (below 60 degrees south).[2] The latitude ranges for the Roaring Forties and similar winds are not consistent, shifting towards the South Pole in the southern summer, and towards the Equator in the southern winter.

By the sounds of it waves do get rather high.

>Is that planet supposed to be habitable?
Yes.
>if so how?
Different physical laws, advanced technologies, plain out magic, etc. Choose what you want.

I too user.

>Wait, why would there be waves that high?
>TIDAL FORCES FROM THE BLACK HOLE, OH FUCK!
>WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THIS SOONER

There are inferior shitskins in this world who think hot is better than cold.

Both unobstructed and deep seas cause waves to become larger, like on an actual ocean planet with seas hundreds of km deep. A terrestrial planet with shallow oceans dotted with island chains has less impressive waves.

The currents all flow the opposite direction. West coast is literally desert.

East coast though, yeah, big storms.

Is it reasonable to have a planet that is mostly impassable desert except for the poles? Kind of the inverse of . Alternatively, is it reasonable to have a planet which has a Scandinavian climate at the equator, but is covered in ice everywhere else? Or am I misunderstanding temperature gradients?

If the planet has oceans on both sides, it can. Water transfers some of the dayside heat to the ice caps, preventing a full freeze and the trapping of all water.

Its bad enough that your first time going 'around the horn' used to be a naval rite of passage of sorts, back before the Panama canal.

>Is it reasonable to have a planet that is mostly impassable desert except for the poles?
So Kharak?

This isn't /hsf/, so do whatever you want.

They didn't mention ash plains or sheets of glass.

Arakis from Dune is exactly that

youtube.com/watch?v=ioKidcpkZN0

I don't have much to contribute, due to being on my phone, but here is an illustration I made from one of my EvoGames that's currently on hiatus.

F

I can hear the music.

Desert planets with polar oceans are modelled to have extended habitable zones compared to Earths. They aren't as likely to undergo a runaway greenhouse effect in the inner HZ like Venus, or have their oceans freeze over in the outer HZ.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21707386

>Is it reasonable to have a planet that is mostly impassable desert except for the poles?
A planet that is rotating very slowly would be exactly that imo.

I want to fuck that planet!

What the fuck is that accent?

or one closer to its star.
if it hadn't been for the runaway greenhouse effect venus would likely be like that.

FUCK YES I LOVE THESE THREADS.

But why would the equator have green and the rest be desert... shouldn't it be the other way around?

Very cool, always loved the concept, bodes poorly for any life however...

I don't get what that is supposed to be...

>But why would the equator have green and the rest be desert... shouldn't it be the other way around?
This is why.

Possibility: Moon is no longer tidally locked because of the impact event. Slow rotation has brought the crater in line with the planet, and will carry it away again in time as the moon rotates.

>I don't get what that is supposed to be...
It's a moon with a big-ass series of concentric craters directly pointing at the planet it's orbiting, molten rock still visible in the edges of shadowed areas of those craters due to the recency of the impact.

Essentially, that moon just got hit by some kind of object travelling at a significant portion of the speed of light, dead-center in the view, and it's only barely been long enough for the dust to settle.

The spray of dots off to the upper right of the moon in the picture is likely ejected rubble from the impact orbiting the moon.

It's a speech impediment.

I'm quite fond of shallow water worlds, mostly not deepter than 20 meters usually around 2 meters.
Would make for an eco systems that is almost violently alive and thriving.

The Hadley cell on Earth is moving moist ocean air towards the equator, which is what leads to rain-forests. On Anu it's just going to be moving large amounts of dry desert air for the most part, so I don't think you'll be getting any green far away from those lakes, even at the equator.

The drones need you. They look up to you.

World orbiting a brown dwarf. A nearby star keeps it lit.
Makes sense.

Lisa Frank world.

Ever been to the diamond mines of planet Janssen? I have. Even as a machine, it was a place of dread and danger.

When planets die...

...They all go to planet heaven.

Lets just call it Anu's World

The guy who named it that must be a huge asshole.

Hal Clement made some unique planets.

if its that close to the nearby star it would have to be a binary companion of the brown dwarf.

>bodes poorly for any life however...
not necessarily. it depends on how close it is to its star. If its far enough out that it would normally be an ice world if not tidally locked then the centre of the sunward side could be quite temperate.

Yup. It is the brown dwarf's companion.

this kind of reminds me of a planet i want too do for rogue trader, but the atmosphere will be much thicker.

I have barely any knowledge of astrophysics. Why is the world banded like that? Is it to do with the lack of axis tilt?

Wouldn't all the water eventually end up on the dark side as immortal glaciers?

>tfw a recession leads to your world literally imploding b/c you can't pay for the fuel to keep it from imploding

>Can pay fuel.

You are living on tops of megatons of it. The base and gravity is provided by megatons of hidrogen. These are the ultimate fuel deposits. There's enough fuel to outlast even the stars themselves even if you use huge cuantities of it each day.