Our healer desn't want to heal what can I do?

We started a D&D v5 campaign 6 months ago now, a lot of the players are either new to the game or have only played it as kids including the DM.
We made sure each player takes a different class so we would be balanced out, but the more we played the more it became apparent that the players who chose healer/buffer classes prefer to become damage dealers.
It got so bad that the damage dealers themselves need to waste their rounds in order to heal fallen PCs while the healers fail to make an impact on monsters.
It had gotten so bad that the Cleric decided with the DM to discard his character for a fighter without discussing it with the team.
(Leave aside the incompetent DM for letting him do it)
Now the rest of the team is at a loss of what to do about it, the barbarian is considering taking on a cleric character although he's one of the best players and his character is one of the highlights of the game.

How can I approach this without offending the DM or the Cleric now Fighter? It's really frustrating since the game has already suffered enough due to a lack of a functioning healer and he's the only player to not stick to the assigned roles we decided in advance, now a good player might need to give up his character to make up for it...

Not well versed enough in 5e to give you an answer, but traditionally there's no reason to have a healer; any thing you miss in your team composition can be fixed in different ways.

If someone wasn't having fun with his character and decided to switch it with the DM's approval, I don't see anything wrong with that. It happens, and you shouldn't feel shackled to an unfun character. Playing just a healbot isn't fun for most people; I see that people who play healbot are mostly the ones who just enjoy hanging out with their friends and the social scenes and not the combat.

Adapt your playstyle. Bards and Rangers can learn some curing spells. Buy more health potions during downtime. Abuse short and long rests as much as possible. Have your fighters get tankier. Talk to your DM and figure out if he can't hook you up with some off-healing utility to speed shit up: once my players solved a sidequest to save a dryad's tree from being cut off and the dryad got the tree to regularly bear bountiful fruit just for the players. Each fruit was a potent healing tool.

Altenratively, kill everything too fast for it to necessitate healing.

Forcing someone to play a role they dont want to play isnt right, you cant hire s npc cleric? Surely there are solutions to this problem.

And lastly, D&D generally isn't a game where healing spells are particularly efficient. You're better off figuring out how to not take damage at all a lot of the time; healbotting is a spellslot task.

Have the new-fangled Fighter be on the frontline and use Second Wind to get some sustain in. Hopefully the Fighter went high CON and bears a shield.

This isn't an MMO where you have to take damage and you often take spikey damage and you absolutely need an attentive healer to prevail. You can figure out different tactics. Let your friends have fun.

You don't need a healer in 5e. I made the same mistake the first time I played; I thought we needed a healer, and multiclassed my circle of the moon druid into a cleric because we didn't have a healer, (I just assumed cleric would be necessary to be better at healing without reading the classes) and then in the end realized we didn't even need a healer in the first place.

At most I'd suggest someone getting a feat to learn some cleric cantrips so you can learn Spare the Dying and stabilize anyone who goes down, or ask the DM to grab some healing potions so you can administer them to anyone who goes down.

Ah, the old Overwatch problem.
>We need healers!
Why don’t you heal?

You "need" a heal bitch? You be the heal bitch.

Our DM isn't very creative and hasn't provided any alternative, we were already at a point where after EVERY battle we need to rest 'cause the DM is really limiting on healing potions...
And there are many ways to play a cleric without being a healbot, he would only take epic magic and waste all his spells on the first fight. He would also use spells with a huge range that would hit other PCs so we HAD to rest afterwards...:/
I mean he has 20 AC and an electric mace and he never used them.
It's also kinda boring to play D&D where the majority of the characters don't have magic :(

I play a rogue and half my turns I need to heal or do a medicine check on PCs, maybe the problem is with the DM though?
I understand wanting to change your character other players have done that, but they still stayed in the role they took on like after the wizard died he took a warlock.

Sounds like you want a mmo style priest cleric that wears dresses and hangs in the back

nice bait

I almost forgot, you should get most of your healing done out of combat because in combat healing is very inefficient compared to just spending some hit die during a rest.

No such thing as a healer in 5e. Clerics can do it sure, but so can druids, rangers, bards, and hell, even wizards can get on it at higher levels.

Plus, healing mid-battle doesn't work. The enemies will always outdamage the amount restored; you want a few out-of-battle healing spells and Healing Word to get people back up when downed.

That's literally it, ever.

Have you tried talking to your DM and saying that you're seeing this as a problem and offer some suggestions?

Failing that, why don't you go talk to your party, go to a store in any big city, and buy a bulk of those potions or similar effects if that's a problem?

Failing that, maybe you should leave the group if you're not having fun, but everyone else seems to be?

And if there are many ways to play a cleric without being a healbot, why are you bitching about your designated healer players refusing to play healbot?
>I understand wanting to change your character other players have done that, but they still stayed in the role they took on like after the wizard died he took a warlock.
But that's not a rule. You can pick whatever the fuck you want and make it work.

Honestly, if you want healing and you're the only person who sees the healing problem, you become one. Ask your DM to allow you to retcon your character into a Bard, which can carry on a fuckton of the same fluff as a Rogue, but has healing spells.

Everybody in the party has a problem with it.
And except for him the rest have learned how to work quite well with their characters and don't feel like out of the blue changing their class.

We just left the city and still the most healing we have found were 3 greater.
And when I do heal in battle it's usually for the fighters upfront after they're unconscious or at less than 10 HP. And they're usually falling next to the tank who still prefers to fight rather than heal.
I don't need a bitch but playing a rogue usually comes with a job of its' own and I do the heal only 'cause I'm fast enough and because of the sneak attack is usually close by to the fighters.

I actually suggested to him to take a different healer route like a druid but he took a fighter in the end and it kinda threw off the balance of the group.

It's not as if the DM is sitting on his hands like "there's nothing I can do, guys. You just didn't find any healing stuff." They control what you have access to. Tell them, as a group, that you either want the combat toned down, or more opportunities for healing.

He doesn't really notice the needs of the players too much.
We usually don't die but the dungeons are getting ridiculously taxing when after every battle we need some sort of rest.

Do you think the issue stems from the problematic player or the DM?

Seeing as you want to force someonee to do something they don't want to, make a healer youself instead of bitching about it on a Uzbekistanian horsebreeding board.

D&D is a team game, HE CHOSE THE ROLE WHEN OTHER PLAYERS WANTED IT AND FUCKING ABANDONED IT WITHOUT TALKING TO HIS TEAMMATES MID-CAMPAIGN.

Too much to ask for a player to consider his team when making a decision?

At this point as some one who’s well versed in 5e I would highly disagree with people who say you don’t need a healer.
I would also say your dm is screwing you guys over with letting a core roll not be filled.
People who think being a healer is bad are simply not creative enough.
My first major campaign in tyranny of dragons and rise of Tiamat I was a life cleric. And he could tank and heal his balls off.
How in the hell do you expect a party to eat 40+ dmg from dragon breath or a crit and just sustain after that.it does not happen.
You can’t just call time out when your getting shit on.
Also healing classes bring utlility from restoration, protection and buff spells.
If you do t have that your in for a bad time.

I personally wouldn’t be interested in a game where after every fight we had to rest or head to Town because every one wants to be big mcfucking largehuge damage dealer.

HOLLYSHIT! THANK YOU!
One fucking person who understands that being a team player can be fucking epic and cool!

I also chose the rogue out of necessity but I learned how to develop my character well, I also think the DM should've talked to the group beforehand or at least try and help the player find his place in the class he chose to bear.

As to what you can do OP, either make a cleric/Druid/bard and heal and then RP your balls off.

Or just stop wasting your time playing another role and let your foolish party mates die.

So what you are saying is that you are part of the problem and wont change to help the party. Fair enough.

>Hopefully the Fighter went high CON and bears a shield.
You know as well as I do that that wouldn't happen. I'm going to guess great weapon fighter.

This is rediculous, you don’t just pick a vital role and then dip...then blame the other person for being upset.
The only problem op is committing is wasting his bonus action dash, main action health potion pour for his meat head party. when he should be putting numbers on the board.

So now there are two people that are bad at role playing in this thread. Go you guys.

If you feel there has to be healer, then you HAVE to be the healer. Don't bring your dysfunction on other people.

gitgud

I don't see how you jumped to that conclusion, care to explain?
ALL THE PLAYERS had to take up a class they didn't necessarily want at first for the game to be balanced, he was the only one who refused to act the part and after 6 months of playing the rest of the players are quite happy with their characters and aren't at a point where they want to abandon a character they've invested in for that long just to keep covering for him.

NOT EVERYBODY IN THE TEAM NEEDS TO BE A DAMAGE DEALER.
If you're actually creative and have the self esteem to ridiculously RP your scalp off a fucking tank/healer can be an awesome character.
I wouldn't mind playing one I just grew fond of the character I've spent 6 months developing as did the rest of the team and it would be heartbreaking to abandon him just for the sake of the player who doesn't seem to give a shit about his teammates.

Ok what games do you play and how many campaigns are under your belt?
I am genuinely curious to know how you have successfully completed these tasks with out an either ez mode GM OR flat out lies.

I’m not saying there has to be a white robe healer at every ones beck and call. But you do need a mother fucker who can stabilize you or keep you going when you just failed your dex save on the first round and are now close to death. With nothing done to the enemy.

Yeah, the fights get messier 'cause the barbarian, monk and rogue are handing out healing potions while the cleric is delivering thunder spells which damage the PCs as well

You can do two things

1) stop being a bitch and play the heal bot yourself if it’s such a vital role (it’s not)

2) you could also just get good and use one of the 4 different ways posters have already mentioned to replace a dedicated heal bot.

So instead of asking the player who chose to be a healer to be a healer, the team should force another player to become a healer?
And I'M THE BITCH?

>that the players who chose healer/buffer classes prefer to become damage dealers.
This is your mistake. Clerics have more impact on a fight when they're not healing and their buffs aren't particularly great.

I didn't choose the cleric for him, he said he would take the healer character and nobody consulted him abut which one to take other than the DM.
If he drops his character he could've taken another healer route, we DEFINITELY didn't need another fighter.

How as another PC is this my mistake? For not sticking to my RP as a rogue character to cover for him so a PC wouldn't die every other battle?

Healing in D&D is rather pointless in the grand scheme of things simply because turns that you waste healing could be turns spent dealing more damage to the enemy.

What makes it even worse is how BORING it is too, it's the most braindead "Press X to Y" shit imaginable and I cannot understand how people honestly choose to be such a worthless archtype.

What’s your alignment op ?
At this point the thread is going to devolve into “well if you got good every one would just be a barb and roll face.”
I’d just stop wasting my actions to fufill the role I signed up for and let em die.
Then you can bonus actionfucking hide or disengage and have your character dip. While they all bleed out. While your character takes his treasure and carves out a nice life for himself. End campaign.

If the Cleric player said he was going to play a Cleric, that doesn't imply playing a healbot, especially not if he's not a Life cleric, and it's on you for having the wrong expectations.

If the Cleric player said he was going to play a healer and then did what he did, that's on him.

I'm Chaotic Neutral and I HATE breaking my RP for this shit, but it's ridiculous.
I do wish to keep the campaign going, again it's a problem for the entire group so I'm wondering how can we keep the campaign going and address it properly, as I seem to think it's also a clear misjudgement of the DM.

Yeah he said he would play a healer and chose a cleric.
I haven't played D&D in years so I mostly focused on learning my rogue well, I didn't know much about the various types of healers then and neither did the rest of the team.
We all made mistakes at first, but the rest learned their role well by now 'cept for him.

Kinda, yeah.

Newbies don't know what they enjoy playing until they've played. I personally prefer Charisma-high type characters, because I enjoy interacting with characters the most. I least like playing front-line damage dealers, because combat isn't something I especially enjoy. I didn't know that when I first started roleplaying, though, and a lot of my first characters were front-line fighting types. I wasn't having a good time, so over time, I switched to characters who could deal long-range damage or avoid fights all together.

If I had someone like you who went all autismo rage over the idea of me switching to a type of character I enjoyed more, I would have left the game and played with people who weren't stubborn jackasses, digging in their heels.

Plenty of other people have given you suggestions about how other people can give themselves healing abilities, how you can gather more healing supplies, or how you can just retcon someone's class to be a healer - but the only people you're listening to are the idiots like you who go, "Dur hur hur, if you picked it, you're stuck with it. FOR-EV-ER."

Don't be so fucking selfish and figure out some way to let everyone enjoy themselves and not just you. If you have to, talk to the DM and ask for more heal drops or a literal heal bot automaton your group can go seek out and adopt to the party as a quest.

At this point is the DMs issue man. Your a PC, not your job to make sure the games balanced and flowing properly.

What I'm getting from this, OP, is you and your dumb faggot friends think role-playing games are an MMO where you need to tick the healer/DPS/tank boxes. You don't. People can and should okay whatever they want provided it's an option. If you try browbeating someone into a roll they don't wanna play then you're just being an asshole. It's clear though your whole group is like this though. I honestly feel bad for the cleric; he learned about how much awesome versatility his class has but can't use it because his teammates suck at combat and think demanding he play a Holy Priest from WoW will fix that.

You'll never have to heal if the enemy never hits you.

It's the entire group's issue since he didn't talk to anyone about it except for the DM.
We're a team and people CHANGED characters along the way but also kept their role to the team.
He threw the entire game off balance.
If he wanted to change a character that drastically he could've talked to the team about it.
Now we all need to change our characters 'cause out of the blue he left his post and went in an entirely different direction.

Why do 5 people need out of the blue to change their characters for him?

>And I'M THE BITCH?
Yes, because rather than deal with the issue yourself, you force another person to have less fun than you for the sake of "muh party comp."

Don't scream at people for not biting the bullet while being too chickenshit to do it yourself, especially when you're the only one with the problem.

>Playing CN
>Accuses other people of being shit
If anything, you should be thanking him for not letting you sit in a dark corner the whole game.

From what OP is saying, most of the group is mad at it because they think choosing characters is like queuing for a Five-Man in World of Warcraft.

Anyone who thinks "party composition" actually matters in any sense other than diverse character personality clearly doesn't understand RPGs.

>It's the entire group's issue since he didn't talk to anyone about it except for the DM.
>If he wanted to change a character that drastically he could've talked to the team about it.
Because the only person who needs to know is the DM and you never need to consult with the party if you feel as though you need a change of character.
>We're a team
>He threw the entire game off balance.
Then you be the healer then since you're the only one bitching about it.
>Why do 5 people need out of the blue to change their characters for him?
Because you decided to make one person shoulder the burden of healing when almost every caster in the game has access to healing on some level.

>Anyone who thinks "party composition" actually matters in any sense other than diverse character personality clearly doesn't understand RPGs.
This!

It isn't a video game where you're limited to Tank-DPS-Healer, fucking everyone in 5e can be two or more roles at the same time without sacrificing anything in return, especially if you're a class with spell slots available.

cont. from What classes do you chucklefucks even have?

You don't really need a dedicated healer in 5e. I mean, you gain all your hp back by going to sleep. Balanced party composition is overrated.

Especially when most classes have access to healing.

First: chill the fuck out. You're playing D&D, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose.

Next: manage your expectations. Seriously, just lay them out on the table right now. Did you expect the game to be operators operating and every fight won in two rounds with no damage to the heroes? Why do you think you need a cleric to heal? Is there a reason why you shouldn't be resting after every fight? Why is it a problem that characters are taking sub-optimal actions?

Right now it sounds like Fantasy Vietnam with everyone on death's door every fight, and for some people its exactly what they want from D&D. If that's not what you want from your 5e game, it's time to find a new game or group. And it is entirely okay to say "I'm done" and quit the group if you're not having fun, because there's no reason to be there if you're not having fun.

Doesnt the Rogue have access to spells through one of the default archetypes?

If so, kinda makes OP sound like a hypocrite for saying he cleric isn't filling his "intended role" when implicitly that's also his class's "intended role".

Besides, in 5e and D&D in general damage mitigation is way more important than direct healing. And clerics don't have sole ownership of that either.

I'm going to go with The DM is the only person who really has a say over a player changing characters, the other players don't have much a choice. If the DM allows it (which they should), but then refuses to accommodate that change, either they're trying to get you all killed on purpose, or they're noob and don't realize there's a problem (which isn't a crime, just talk about it like normal people).

Nobody should be obliged to play a character they don't want to. They would be within their rights to just leave, in which case you're worse off.

>for the game to be balanced
This was your first and most fatal mistake. The players should play what they want to play. It is the DM's job to tailor the content to the party composition.

Hey yo OP
Sounds like you gotta learn to communicate.
All of your problems are stemming from not telling people you have problems.
Don't get aggressive.
Don't bitch or whine.
Just let em know what you want out of the game and why you're not getting it.
Get the whole group in on it.
See if you can't talk it out before next session.

>doesn't seem to give a shit about his teammates
sorry man, but this goes both ways. You don't get to tell him what he has to play regardless of whether he wants to or not, whether he's having fun or not. with that sort of attitude just kick him out and be done with it.

Nah OP's problems stem from the fact he and the group are all rookies who think RPGs should work like an online video game. The cleric is the first one to poke his head out of the cave and realize he isn't bound to that, but OP is still hung up on vidya abstractions like the role trinity.

Presumably he plays with a DM who lets the party purchase/find healing potions instead of being an inattentive retard who doesn't know how to balance him game and casts the blame for such upon his players.

This.

>Because I'm playing last pick for reinhart
>Every Rein main

Just drink potions. Hell my circle of twilight heals almost exclusively by executing enemies.

Our warlock doesn't even sleep so we get long rests all the time while she keeps guard.

Dedicated healer is not really a thing. You would generally want a caster to remove curses and shit like that, but those are a dime a dozen without anyone filling the healer role

You sound like a massive faggot

>Do you think the issue stems from the problematic player
Yes.

You.

But then he can do it himself, instead of bitching about it.

Also
>GM bad because the player composition doesn't have a healer
Are you retarded? Like, for real? Do you expect the GM to force a player to roll a healer? If you are in a team and feel you absolutely need a healer, you the player, should roll one, not make the GM force someone to do it.

Honestly, you don't need ANY character archetype for a game. You could have a game with nothing but fighters, or nothing but wizards, and you'd still be able to play. A party without heavy-hitters or spellcasters might not have much combat in it, but an RPG isn't about combat.

>ALL THE PLAYERS had to take up a class they didn't necessarily want
Who the fuck enforced such a nofunallowed policy? How fucking retarded are you?

>So instead of asking the player who chose to be a healer
You literally just said he was forced to take a class he didn't want.

>ITT: things that didn't happen
OP is just baiting, he is contradicting himself and obviously lying, and hasn't said what classes are part of this group, not even how many players total. If they had actually cared for their "party comp", they would have had at least an "off healer" with small heals to get people back up if they are at 0 (which is the only time it matters.)

>what games do you play
>how many campaigns are under your belt

RPGS ARE NOT A COMBAT SIMULATOR. It's not likw Warhammer 40k where it's all about point costs and dealing with certain particular modules, or quests, or dungeons.

I 'Won' a campaign by gathering the ingredients to a ritual into banishing a demon lord, and then we all lied and tricked everyone into thinking the ritual was going on elsewhere. So the cultists attacked some random church while we sealed the demon away. No combat happened in that ending scene. We didn't have to fight the demon, or have a big boss or whatever. We just talked it out, and played it out. The tiefling's curse was lifted and he returned to being human, the druid returned back to her forests, now that they weren't under threat... It was roleplaying, Not rollplaying, and I don't mean 'role' as in party role. I mean 'role' as in being Minos of Tyrath, a somewhat-dishonorable ex-soldier who wants to make his place in the world.

You don't have to have a member for each 'role'. You don't need a 'Tank', 'DPS', or 'Healer'. Enemies are not raid bosses. An all-wizard team can fart around and build a mage tower. They don't need to go down and do instances like they want to get more Mastery Ranking or Honor or whatever.

An RPG is all about a plot and a story. If there are bandits fucking about and messing the town up, that doesn't mean you need to kick in the door, kill 20 bandits, and collect 20 bandit scarves, and run back to town to talk to the guy with the huge yellow question-mark above his head. You could, say, burn the building from the outside. Or have your bardrogue disguise himself as a bandit, walk right in there, and poison the bandit leader's drink. Or levitate from 20-ft up, and lure wolves in to attack the camp. Or even just outright convince the bandit leader to please go elsewhere. Or join the bandits, and make money. Or walk away from the town, leaving them to their woes.

RPGs are not games you 'beat'.

It's pretty clear that if this story is true, OP and the rest of the group came into RPGs via MMOs or maybe CRPGs. The former cleric is the only one who's figuring shit out for himself. The barbarian may be innately a good roleplayer (if the brief mention of him is accurate), but still has MMO mentality, so he's shooting himself in the foot.

OP is an idiot.

I don't need to bash out my credentials to some random twerp in Veeky Forums...

,,,but I am going to, because it makes me feel good about myself.

I have roleplayed over dozen of different systems during the many long years. Some campaign have lasted one session, other have spanned longer than they should have. I've seen to good, the bad, the ugly.
When using the pre-made book campaigns, you have a set of challenges, which are designed to challenge players in a certain way. In those cases, it is good idea to think as a group how to tackle the ogre or what-not.
However, if you don't want to limit your experience, the DM is responsible setting and it is well within his/her power to balance the adventure for the needs of the party. DM doesn't have to obey the monsters in the book, they have to obey him. So long as the players feel challenged and the sensation of achievement, it doesn't matter what you do or how you do it.

This thread has given plenty of solutions to OP's problem already: communicate, set expectations and find different solutions. If the "cleric" wanted to play damage dealer, who can blame him for switching? As far as anyone is concerned, OP's campaign sound mostly to be combat focused.

Go see Matthew Colville's youtube channel along with other helpful channels about good roleplaying or DnD help guides.

D&D is not an MMO you piece of shit faggot goddamn you are the worst fucking player
If you are having trouble with it, it's because you're treating it like a videogame mmorpg.

>Make a Blaster Cleric because they look neat
>Go around being a blaster and have a lot of fun
>My fellow players keep complaining about me not doing enough damage, and "wasting" spells in non-healing abilities
>Gets so bad I end up having to roll into a fighter to avoid their constant complaints about how I am playing my class wrong.
>Thankfully our GM wasn't shit, so he worked with me to introduce a new character so I could actually continue having fun after the other players had drained all fun and enjoyment I once had for my cleric.
>now they are complaining that we dont have a healer and blames it on me

Playing in a campaign without a healer...

>Fighter EK who has 18 Strength, 20 Intelligence, and Ritual Caster
>Fiend Bladelock
>Scout Rogue
>Wild Magic Sorcerer
We are at level 11 now, started at level 3. We have a very low Magic settjng with barely any magic items available to common folk or even higher level adventurers, we've found 6 healing potions total.

Healing kits, friendo. Non-magical item which is super effective, and with proper tactics, we easily avoid any problems with lack of healing.

Short rests allow you to spend your Hit Dice which easily overcomes any problems with healing. And if you hate short rests, actually stop playing, because ou are screwing over a lot of classes who rely on short rests to shine.

We often have a lot of struggles, sure, but it beats having the whack-a-mole gameplay where we folooe the same retarded flowchart:
>is someone at 0 HP
>throw a bonus action healing word
>if not, do damage
That is not just boring, it makes you give 0 fucks about taking damage. Because all that matters is if you are at 0 or not.

Making a party with no healers is ghe best thing we ever did. We are going to have a cake walk once we get back to having healers, probably something like a Paladin or sword Bard.

Specializing in healing is retarded in 5e.

>5e
>Getting injured
What, like a peasant?

The only edition specializing in healing was ever worth anything in was 4E and that's solely because it was possible to do other things while also healing.

>Chaotic neutral rogue shitter
The epitome of a “me me me” dps shitter complaining about someone not healbotting him in fucking DnD. LOL. This isn’t world of warcraft retard.

Moving along folks. Nothing to see here

The only healing you should do in combat in 5e is removing sticky conditions and Healing word to pick the barb back up if he goes down (though probably a high AC martial would be better target than the meat tank cause the meat tank will be hit again).

These kinds of problems make it sounds like you were playing a MMO. Last time I had a combat in RPG was months ago, and I play two games weekly. I understand that you want to play co-op turn-based tactical combat RPG but if you really have to force other players to play as a combat character then you have some rethinking to do.

>if you don't want to play healer, then why should others have to play healer against their will either?

>Just drink potions.
Why do people keep saying this when he stated that the GM is also trying to prevent them from obtaining potions too

The entire premise is flawed is the point. The demand for healer is stupid, restriction on potion consequently is also stupid.

People are calling out this game as being poorly run in the first place

>People are calling out this game as being poorly run in the first place
Some are, many arent. Otherwise they wouldn't just suggest drinking potions.

Yeah you are

Congratulations, you've discovered one of the many reasons D&D is shit. Hopefully you learn from this and switch to a good system.

Spellcasting is by no means the rogues 'intended role' and that's an absurd claim. Yes, one of the three core archetypes mixes casting with their actual intended roles. Two of them literally get nothing to suggest they're casters at all- because they aren't.

No, bitches do as their told. You're just a blue-haired cunt screaming about people not following your perfect vision

Pack it up, boys. user just cracked the code. D&D has things it doesn't do well, so there's no reason to play it. I'm glad there are plenty of replacements available and everyone is happy to learn new systems any time someone discovers a flaw in a game.

Even common magical items, like Potion of Healing, aren't readily available across campaigns in 5e by default. That being said, the only real use for combat healing in 5e is not being at 0, at which point healing word is a spell every druid, bard, and cleric has access to, as done anyone who takes magic initiate if they so choose. Additionally, several classes have other ways to heal, lay on hands, rangers can cast cure wounds, and everyone has the option to use healing kits and take the healer feat. Thieves do it best.

>implying D&D does anything well
>implying other systems take anywhere near the investment to learn that D&D does

>(Leave aside the incompetent DM for letting him do it)
Yeah, because a competent DM absolutely would make someone play a character they don't like. Retard.

>vital role
Someone hasn't been reading the thread I see.

Switch to 4th edition. Leaders are a lot less stuck in the "Healbot" model of gameplay, and Warlords in particular excel at getting stuck in alongside the rest of the party.

OP is a "shhh, nothing personal, kid" Rogue. He could take Healer feat and be better than the Cleric on in-combat healing.

OP's a MMO bitch, and I saw it right at the "v5" bullshit.

Multiclassing, son. My 5e party didn't have a healer, so I had my warlock pick up one level of Bard for every three levels of Warlock. Dropping Healing Word as a bonus action on whomever needs it has gotten us through several fights. Also adds a lot of utility.

>mmo roles in an RPG
Gross

My 5e group is an offshoot for when players are busy with work for our regular campaign our party comp is literally a paladin and a rogue, I pack just enough healing to get us through encounters and dish damage like no ones business, long story short, everyone play paladin especially since its not alignment locked

I’ve come into the thread to point out how retarded that statement was

How is it retarded? If you have AC out the ass, you're not going to get hit more often than not, which means that you won't have to heal as much as someone with less AC than you.

Hell, going into a game as a Bear Barbarian with 20 AC, I rarely went down in combat before the enemy did.