/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
DMs what kind of standards do you hold your paladins to?

Players what is your favorite Oath? Any favorite stories of being a paladin?

antsy pants couldn't wait

Halves of halfling corpses.

Nah just enjoy triggering "muh page 10" fags

Should I prepare for my players to randomly walk out into the forest? Can I just fuck them with random encounters or do I need to actually have something out there

So I asked a few threads ago with no response. I have commoners, mostly women following one of my players around the city calling her lady and asking for her blessing. She is not a cleric or religious and doesn't know what it's about.

I've scaled it up to 1d30 followers at any given time.

What fun shit can I do with this?

Have a general idea, doesn't have to something 100% set

Toss up between Ancients and Devotion, best time I had was playing Devotion that was flavoured as a combination.

>be paladin in a low fantasy campaign, exiled from my ancestral home for political reasons
>quest in search of a way to build enough fame/power to return in my own right and marry my lover
>I will do this by finding the lost tomb of the first of my line, but given the low fantasy nature of the campaign this probably wont actually happen
>about a year of campaigning later
>actually get a lead, follow it to a weird tomb type thing beyond the edge of civilization
>fight our way through, it's a real tough go
>eventually find out that my ancestors, the last elves, were imprisoned by some sort of dragon god
>end up finding a portal to said god's domain
>I cut a deal with it to free my ancestors from their curse so they can return home (would be the first non-humans in civilized lands in centuries), in exchange for having to stay for an eternity

Felt so goddamn good. Until the one dickass player tried to swindle the dragon out of some treasure by cheating at cards, when the GM made it very clear multiple times that it wouldn't work. Kind of undermined the gravity of the situation, but it was still a pretty great finale.

Do you actually have a plan to do something with this beyond simply fuck with your players?

Pretty much what you are, maybe have some local priests, clerics or paladins come and start begging for her assistance.

So WotC gave spellcasters a big handful of new spells with Xanathar's, just as they did with Elemental Evil. I realize that martials get more options through more archetypes and that's great and all, but are there any plans to add to already existing archetypes the way that even baseline wizards can use the new spells? Like Warlocks get more invocations, but the Rogue doesn't get more sneak attack effects.
I suppose a better question is what an option spread for existing martials would even look like. I mean there's maneuvers that can be added for the Battlemaster, and most martials get a fighting style, but what about Barbarian? Will Beserkers always have the exact same options that they were printed with?
Would more feats help? Items and equipment that require martial weapon proficiency?
Or are we already rapidly approaching the same feature bloat that made 3.5 into an unwieldy mess of "find the splat that makes your concept work?"

I have random encounters in a folder for easy near CR, but I usually have a scenario in my head to go with most of them.

Going off off the trail bumps you to deadly but otherwise travel and wilderness are great because you can prepare the destination for the next session.

What really fucked me over was when they immediately turned around and headed for the semi-major city in one of their origin stories. I had WAY WAY more than a random dungeon to prep (and it wouldn't have been an issue except two or three of them were from there and knew the city).

But yeah, I'd expect it to the degree that when it happens you don't get flummoxed by it. And it helps if you have a little something like a dryad pond or a small dungeon that doubles as a tower lined up, because you can always pull it out later along side a different road they stuck to, or flip the dungeon and make it a tower on the seashore they decided to walk down.

What would be an appropriate name for a PC who was raised as a ward in a church of Gond?

>are we already rapidly approaching the same feature bloat that made 3.5 into an unwieldy mess
XGE was the first mechanics-focused splat, released a full three years after 5e was released.

Even if 5e goes the full 10 year life span they want it to, it'll never reach 3.5e's size unless they start immediately cranking out (and I mean this with no hyperbole) a new 200-300 page book every month.

Gondine

Bring back at will abilities,
including some that work outside combat.

John Smith.

Grok'tar Sharvhul

there is a whole backstory that ties into the ruins under the city, the players origin story, and a half dozen other things yes.

but between now and when she decides to find out what t.f. it's about, I just want to gently fuck with her PC.

it's a background plot hook with several layers. I just want ideas for the mooning PCs besides following her and calling out "lady" and "bless me lady", "bless my baby". totally going to have one of them name their baby after her next session!

what else can I do with the followers?

why don't you go play 4e instead

Some of them actively seek to help the party, even if it isn't what they need, others ask to have her train them.

Frank
or
Bill
or
Jim
or
Sarah
or
Hezzakenikial

>wanting to give martials some more utility/options is 4e

>Some of them actively seek to help the party, even if it isn't what they need
that's good. maybe they'll bring food and give her baskets full of like fresh baked bread and fish and when she can't use them all and gives them away it will be a Jesus tier miracle that she fed the hungry and poor.

>train them
that would kind of short circuit the whole she's not a holy person and they don't want to know thing

Martials should be able to do epic feats of strength, dexterity and endurance almost all the time to even out the sheer versatility that caster have.

>Hey how can we improve martials in 5e
>Nah just go play 4e no need to improve anything
Really nigga?

>great helms
>full plate

REEEE

isn't that the fucking core principle of 4e and also the thing that makes encounters drag out like grandpa's gas?

but hey in really great news I dumped my 3.5 and pathfinder books on someone tonight. he was like oh hey than- and I was like
>NO YOU KEEP THEM

You say that while posting Sigurd, who was completely outclassed by Levin.

Agreed. At high levels:
>barbarians should be able to lift thousands of pounds overhead with a single hand
>rogues should be so subtle they can sneak into other dimensions
>fighters should be able to cut through ten men in a single stroke

But haha no that would be unrealistic if they don;t have magic lol

>that would kind of short circuit the whole she's not a holy person and they don't want to know thing
That has nothing to do with what I said, they can ask but she can easily refuse. Also holy people aren't the only ones who can train people in the way of combat.

>Hey how can we improve martials in 5e
well since you haven't bothered playing them and are just talking about caster superiority YET AGAIN, yes I think go play 4e is a perfectly valid response.

Nah, being largely mundane but capable of select great things is a pretty important part of D&D's feel and class fantasy. Would make for a neat alternate ruleset to throw on top. 5e is modular enough to handle it.

It was in a way? The problem that 4e truly suffered from was HP bloat; giving martials fun things to do in combat wasn't the problem.

>Cut through ten men in a single stroke
This, please.

How do you tell your DM that you got an attack of opportunity?

Do you ever end up that guy?

yeah maybe I misunderstood.

So three commoners come to her together, bolstering each others' nerve and say,
>lady train us!
she's like
>what? no. what are you talking about?

what ARE they talking about? what do they think they're asking for?

The DM should be well aware of when anyone gets an opportunity attack or not.

Depends on the level, later on it's what I assume they can do.

Explain to someone who has no clue what you're going on about.

Consider: plenty of people who shouldn't be the DM are still their group's DM.

"that provokes an AoO right?"

shouldn't I get an attack of opportunity when he moves away?
>no
oh ok.

then look it up as combat moves on. whether you make him RTFM right then or talk out of session, don't insist on lawyering it right there mid combat rounds. And it's possible the DM doesn't use opportunity attacks.

as a DM I forget shit all the time or get shit wrong. I played 5 sessions thinking attack 14 missed AC 14 until I read someones whiny bitch copy pasta on here and was like, wait what? There was no reason to look it up before then.

>Someone brings up martials and asks how to give them more options
>Hurr hurr you're just talking about caster supremecy!
>Even better is assuming it's only one person and to top it off they haven't played martials
Oh, I didn't realize I was talking to a retard

Are martials not allowed to have more options? Why? Why is it ok for the wizard to have 1000 spells to construct his list from, but the second someone wants to add more maneuvers or feats it's "caster supremacy doesn't exist" this and "go play 4e" that?

>someones whiny bitch reading the rules
ok

from one to another: you ARE on 5eg

Historically Great Helms basically ceased to exist when full plate came into use, and when it even was used it was primarily a cavalry helmet, and primarily was used in tournaments instead of real combat. Some weirdos may still have worn it past the due date, but it isn't ideal at all.

Basically if you've got the dough for bitchin armor, you can afford something superior to a great helm, especially an older model that doesn't protect your neck. Yes the armor is stylized, but it'd be akin to slapping a 19th century telescopic sight on an AR-15.

And yet your players didn't correct you. Why is that?

Asking for someone they think is a valiant knight to train them. Also do you really think they'd even realize what they're asking for? Most people ask for things without ever thinking of why they just assume it will make their lives better or easier in some way.

Make it obvious that they really have no idea what they're trying to get themselves into, maybe your player is smart and puts them to work doing other things.

yeah I thought I was going to be like
>haha you fucker you're WRONG as fuck about that!!!!
but this time I checked before posting

Martials are good though? Literally the best they've been, compared to casters, since the times they got built in armies.
Turning martials INTO casters doesn't make anyone happy.
DMs, if your martials are unhappy, give them items that aren't just mechanical power tools.

Reminder that if your GM doesn't let you learn the Pankratosword at level 20, he's shit.

Ahh neat I never actually knew that. Looking at it my guess is the artist just liked the style but I get how that could be annoying to someone who actually knows these things.

read the rules before you run a game ya dingus

>Reminder that level 20 is literally pointless to play

Because not everybody is a rules lawyering 5eg faggot who spends their time arguing coffeelocks instead of playing?

Nobody said anything when I said,
"Oh and by the way I've been getting ties wrong." at the beginning of the next session either. It's not like it fucks up the balance because in my mind it was "AC wins ties" when it's actually "attack wins ties". They certainly question me enough on other things.

A level 20 fighter can easily kill half a dozen men in 6 seconds, expending minimal effort. Have it be a battlermaster using sweeping strike, which is what you would do for that effect, lets you mow down crowds.
Obviously it doesn't work that way on CR relevant creatures, but that's kinda the point.

It's fun for one last adventure of reality-splitting power levels.

Then it's time to retire.

I missed TWO words in the whole PhB.

Cog. Short for Cogoliostro.

So on par it's better to let it go than be that guy.

I'm with you user, it's one thing to let mistakes bog down a group, its entirely another to not know a rule and fix that fact.

A level 5 wizard can kill a dozen men in 6 seconds.

What racial stats should Jews have?

+1 to every stat, medium, 30 foot speed, speak common and one extra language of your choice

Point to me where anyone has claimed they aren't good, other than what you decided it implied instead of the literal message of "hey they're giving more stuff to casters, what would be some good things to give to martials?" Also false because as a martial player not having to argue with the DM to do something out of the ordinary in, or out of, combat is nice to have.

By expending maximum effort.
If that same fighter uses fireball or sweeping strike they can do the same.

if we're going back to the AoO, I'd talk to the DM about it for sure- it's not like you're asking for your homebrew PC race to be allowed after all, but I don't think it's something to quit the game over (although it would be a red flag for me unless there was a really good reason).

and Variant Jews?

No one's (currently) saying that martials aren't as good as casters, just that they don't have as many options to build their characters from, which is objectively true. No one is suggesting turning martials into casters either, just giving them a larger spread of what they already have, like adding more fighting styles.

>Players what is your favorite Oath?
Devotion, all the way, but Ancients is still pretty dope.
>Any favorite stories of being a paladin?
Unfortunately none they actually revolve completely around being a Paladin that another fightery-type guy couldn’t tell you despite me playing Pally’s a lot.
It’s not that I mind that or anything, but I figure you want stories other then “killed these evil guys, slew the monster, defended the weak, saved the day”.
I still have my Paladins do regular adventurer-for-coin stuff (because actually that was entirely implied in pre-3e editions still), they just also did it out of a greater sense of purpose and did good things and slew bad guys for more reasons then “getting paid for it”.

So something like AoO is worth being that guy... I guess it is a significant game mechanic.

Is it for anybody else? My randomly switches targets and couldn't care less.

Fighting styles and maneuvers are fine things to add, but they've kinda floundered on making decent/balanced ones as is. Close Quarters Shooter and Tunnel Fighter are just terrible design choices that largely overshadow existing options. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it surely hasn't yet.
Maneuvers are also an issue, since they would only benefit a single archetype, which is kinda silly.
As for mundane character options, XGtE updated tool/skill interaction, which heavily influences the way rogues can be used.

impossible an wrong in that order

Yeah it was a cheap jab. The point is, a BM fighter doing max expenditure of abilities can potentially kill like 12 men in a round, assuming he hits all of them, they all have garbage hit points, and he can manage to get within reach of them.

A level 20 Wizard at max expenditure can cast Wish, which I won't get into.

Don't get me wrong, I love fighters and I think they're powerful. I just think it would be cool to give martials some mythic capability not related directly to killing people.

Jews have their own secret language, where's that represented?

I see you don't know how fighters work.

In the one extra language maybe?

It would be like thieves cant, unless you meant hebrew, which would just be jewidic.

>Close Quarters Shooter and Tunnel Fighter are just terrible design choices that largely overshadow existing options
what? they're terrible?
>As for mundane character options, XGtE updated tool/skill interaction
which are also accesible by non-martials, doing nothing to correct the inequality of options

>Maneuvers are also an issue, since they would only benefit a single archetype, which is kinda silly.
To be fair, they made more invocations for Warlock, a few of which were pact-dependent. And besides, there's always the Martial Adept feat to make them more readily available (and a larger spread of maneuvers means that feat gets more usable).
But you're right that it hasn't been done yet, that's why I asked earlier what a generic martial option boost would even look like. There's not a "THIS IS MARTIAL" mechanic quite the way that spells are for spellcasters; not even fighting styles are all encompassing. I wanted to brainstorm a bit and see what options people would come up with.

>fighter uses fireball
not a fighter
>fighter uses sweeping attack
not even close to as damaging

What about the baby cannibalism?

>which are also accesible by non-martials, doing nothing to correct the inequality of options
To a lesser extent than rogues, which is the specific class i referenced. Martials can always take magic initiate to tap into some of those caster options too, if you want to get pedantic.
And yes, CQC and tunnel fighter both have massive issues, in that they change fundamental rules of the game, and not for the better. They are mechanically powerful, but that doesn't make them balanced or interesting.

go ask /pol/

>not a fighter
Eldritch Knight is one of 3 phb fighter archetypes user. And you don't need to be "as damaging" to kill 10 men, which is what was said.

EKs are fighters, and they can cast fireball.

How do I get the party Fighter/Rogue to stop talking like Big Boss?

>Martials can always take magic initiate
1. noot a martial
2. not always if they don't want to gimp themselves for their core abilities, unless you mean at high levels nobody reaches, and that's hardly full featured

>It's another casterfags defend that martials don't need anything episode
Man these are always so fun to watch. Especially when the whole "well they're better than previous editions so nothing is wrong, ignore that casters are getting more and more utility and spells." argument is thrown around.

good point, I mean you're messing with the disengage action and anyone who gets disengage as a feature, not to mention the whole flitting around the battlefield without consequence.

/pol/ accused me of being a Jew.

Nigga, the whole discussion was about high level martial abilities.
Plus, martial doesn't equate to mundane, paladins are martials that are spellcasters.

cast silence
you are playing a caster rite

>It's panicking

did they tell you about the secret language?

I really need to talk to my rabbi.

...were they right?

how do you kill 10 men with 8 hits max? also a gish isn't a martial

An EK can't cast fireball at level five, which the claim was a fighter can.