/swg/ - Broadside Edition

Last Thread: Post about FFG, WEG D6, Saga/d20, Lego, X-wing, Armada, Legion, and anything else SW Related

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ SW RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other FFG SW Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the SW RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older SW Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.nz/#F!kJtCTR7Q!HNUwVc1B8KB2FrD4Twmb7g

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

What's your favorite capital ship and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9f/6e/9f6e5844-e22e-4f6c-bd7f-74e54b838224/armada_faq_v331.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quasar fire.

Bah shit I didn't see this one before I hit okay on my own. I'll delete mine.

Anybody got a mirror to Oggdude's Chargen latest version? he kinda went over his bandwidth allocation and the link won't download

Why are they called thermal detonators if they don't detonate thermally?

So what era do you guys usually run your games in?

Rebellion/OT era, mainly because we mostly play the FFG games and that's the era they're set in. Have done everything from KOTOR era to Clone Wars to the Rise of the Empire era, though.

Legacy, because anything after the comics is basically blank. Playing Saga Edition.

if i want to play a commando soldier as a screaming highlander ready to bayonet people, what talents should i take? i was thinking of prioritizing a rush to armor master with my starting XP

Is there a point to discussing anything now that SW is daed?

Since the game was brought up a couple threads ago, what are your favorite mods for Star Wars EaW or FoC?
Mine are
Old Republic at War, by jeroenimo (renowned star wars modder btw)
Republic at War, after balancing it myself because some ships were op, and reducing the amount of fighters capital ships released so fighters didn't become irrelevant and could be better micromanaged
Thrawns revenge because it's EU
There was another mod I found in the steam workshop that added EU and nucannon ships while staying in line with the game vanilla feeling (I don't know if you know what I mean)

RaW was great, but i haven't played it since it was still called xer0x mod or whatever it was.
Thrawns is much better than the base game, but i really dislike the leader death to advance thing, but not being able to advance period in multiplayer is worse.
Haven't played the first one.

That being said, EaW is a pleb version of Rebellion, so play that if you haven't.

Always liked the Vindicator (and Interdictor), good practical ships that aren't full retard expensive like an ISD but you can shoehorn into any area of space. Be it the outer rim exterminating pirates or running close in picket duties for a combat squadron.

Given a choice, I do prefer to run in the late Republic, Clone wars or early Empire era.
At some point I'd really like to do a toe dip into the new republic, but its really quite short on information and game material

My god, a star wars capship with gun turrets you can actually see at an appreciable distance.

Cade Skywalker is best Skywalker

Yeah the hero deaths kinda suck, although I really like how if they die in combat they do that come back, makes restlessly using them now a bulletproof option
There is a mod called z3r0x's mod, but I don't think they are related
I know about Rebellion and it does have a lot of features I would love to see in EaW, like naming ships and fleets, assigning commanders and officials, etc, but the RTS element is a bit more lackluster

>psst, don't tell Jerry he drew the TIE Interceptor's wings on backwards

Because they detonate thermals.

Once upon a time, the two mods were sister mods, with raw using tcw visuals and units, whereas z3r0x used EU sources. At some point they merged.

Rebellion has 3d maneuvering, directional firing arcs, hyperspace capable fighters starting launched, but most ties requiring deployment, and all sorts of small extra details you may not initially notice.
Honestly though, my biggest gripe is the hardpoint hp system eaw uses.

Rebellion is a great game with a terrible UI. Meanwhile EaW is more playable, but the land battles are boring and the autoresolve option is broken.

Last game I ran had three parts with big timeskips - one PT (Days after 3, players were CIS remnants), one OT (Days after 6, Imperial Remnants) and one ST (few months before 7, Hutt Remnants). Focusing on the cycles of change in the galaxy as a big theme. Was good fun.

Current game I'm in is ST, but I have another plan that I'd like to run a game about 'Jedi' that would start with the PCs as younglings undergoing their final exams in the final months of the clone wars, leading through the events of Episode 3 and then timeskipping to a few years before 4 to see what kind of adults the PCs that survived Order 66 have become after living their life on the run from the Empire.

Reposting the shiny new Armada FAQ that FFG just stealth dropped last night:
>images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9f/6e/9f6e5844-e22e-4f6c-bd7f-74e54b838224/armada_faq_v331.pdf

And also delivering your threadly reminder that Armada is a game that exists and is fun. A tournament fleet will run you $200, which includes the $100 MSRP core set that you can probably find at a discount. Feel free to ask any questions about the game, I'll check in throughout the thread. It's as good a time to get into the game as any.

Where can I find game mechanics for butchering defenseless children?

Page 324 if you're playing F&D.

>the land battles are boring and the autoresolve option is broken
Totally
I always feel that the vanilla units are both shit and there is too little variety
AT-STs should shred infantry, not struggle to defeat a single platoon, and deal moderate damage to vehicles, not being worthless against them
The rebel mptl spam was pretty broken too
The phase I dark troopers were worse than useless, they were supposed to be heavy anti infantry and like the at-st struggled to defeat a platoon
All land battles reduced to either at-at spamming or t4-b and mptl spamming
Also the autoresolve was mainly broken because they didn't rebalance the autoresolve "power" of each unit after patches and expansion
E.g: in EaW Vader used the tie advanced in space battles, so he had low autoresolve power, but in FoC he used the executor, but his autoresolve power remained the same as the tie before
Same shit for all units

My favorite was Absolute Corruption, even if it had no coherency (for example Darth Maul could fight with the Empire, on a Vengeance-class SSD flanked by Pellaeon-II class and Nebula-class).
All it really does is add units and planets but it's still good fun. I found the Zann Consortium a much larger threat than the Rebels because they would always come with stacks of Lucrehulk-class and Providence-class that were a bitch to kill.

So quick question what is coming next for legion?

>I'd like to run a game about 'Jedi' that would start with the PCs as younglings
Done that, sort of the late republic just tipping into the clone wars and it was a big blindside to the players as 'oh shit we just lost our mentors', lot of painful feels and managed to get some good roleplaying out of the murderous fuckbags for once. That grief was quite long lasting and tipped a few into darkside leanings as their masters where all quite good, patient and genuinely useful people.

They're Silhouette 0, don't lead em as much

do you mean the next preview? combat

harrower easy, extra points for the fuck you beam from >TOR's sith inquisitor arc

For X-wing, we are in one of those strange "Nothing in the pipeline is known" periods. What do you guys expect to be the next announcement to be? When do you think we will get it?

Those 1-off transport ships we saw in TLJ. There's an FO shuttle, a rebel hopper and a random gun-merchant yacht, so you could have something for all 3 factions. That or we'll get more hero variants.

Someone needs to put up the First Order AT-AT. Already got the AT-STS AT STS AT STS

I'm in a game that started us as 9-13 year old padawans or the one below that on the day of order sixty six. It took us two and a bit sessions to get to it, and when it happened it hit us like a brick. We'll be time skipping a bunch after we escape, and switching to knight-level versions (keeping any xp gained) of our characters.

In what universe

Is it okay to ask /swg/'s thoughts in The Last Jedi? I'm tired of seeing shitty opinion pieces on blogs and leddit that consist of "if you didn't like it you're a whiny fanboy"

I hated Vice-admiral Holdo. Anything she did in the movie could have easily been done by Admiral Ackbar while giving him a proper send off.

It's the first good Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Lots of pacing issues and plot holes, plus character inconsistencies between various points in their character arcs, keep it from being great. I'm pretty sure you can cut the entire Canto Bight arc from the film and it'd be not only better, but no more confusing for the omission.

But it's still a really good film. The music and visuals are great, probably because this is the first Star Wars by an actually skilled director since George replaced all the talented people who worked on the OT. The core emotional arc between Rey, Kylo, and Luke works really well and everyone involved gives great performances. The action is really fun when it counts, like the opening with Poe or Luke's short but sweet duel with Kylo, despite the pacing dragging a lot during the second act.

Overall, I rate 86/100 - better than anything *since* the OT, but weighed down by too many plot and pacing problems to be on the level of the originals.

Looking for opinions that reinforce your dislike of it? You can also find those on Reddit.

6/10
Also please keep it on /tv/ we don't want to end up like /co/, I know /tv/'s shit but you'll just shit up here if you drag their shit into our shit, y'know?

Yeah, it's fine to ask. It's still a bit of a risk, seeing as you get the "if you did like any part of it you're an ess jay doubloo" crowd. One way or another, your opinions are going to piss somebody off. So i'd just get used to that.
I thought it was alright. Some bits worked. Some bits didn't. I think it was a visually stunning film but the actual story was really inconsistent and only some of the character arcs actually worked. Would rate it higher than TFA, purely because it wasn't a hard remake.

Honestly not trying to bait. I'm just looking for the opinions of people that i know appreciate the franchise. If I was looking to reinforce my own opinion I'd never have asked.

What war crimes has Sisco not committed at this point?

>rating any of the ST over the PT

Better than TFA but the Disney playbook of "interrupt every emotional beat with a quip" and "our pacing only has one speed: breakneck" really gets tiring to watch especially for a movie this length.

Rey and Kylo were made much better characters compared to TFA but Finn's sideplot was at best boring. The movie insisted on being bluntly heavy-handed with its messages and metaphors, to a fault IMO. Star Wars has never been subtle but the preachy dialogue about the Rebel ideology every 15 minutes got stale.

Everyone knows the movie has plotholes. It waa enough to sour the experience for me but not others.

Truth be told my biggest critique is a minor one, why would you have a space opera setting and literally make humans the overwhelming majority of all the characters in the movie?

It was an alright single watch but I have no desire to watch it again. Better than TFA but that was probably the worst Star Wars experience I've had.

>believing that the sudden rise of PT maymays means that the PT was good

I've always been a prequel apologist man, I always felt they got too much hate thanks to hacks like RLM

Competent movie on a technical level, however it has the writing and consistency of shitty fanfiction that was somehow given a quadruple-A Hollywood budget. Full of dropped plotlines, plot contrivances, asspulls, forced meme aesops affecting the plot to the point characters do retarded things, and last but not least a space battle that breaks the entire universe and makes clear whoever was writing it has no idea what they're doing and should never write sci-fi or fantasy.

Like I said, TLJ is the first good movie since Return. The Prequels are bad, Rogue One was bad, and TFA is a pasty mediocre trying too hard to copy-paste from the OT. The Prequels are *more interesting* than TFA or Rogue One, because they were ambitious failures, which is more interesting than generic success. But TLJ is an actually good movie that *also* does new things and takes risks in its own right.

I expected TLJ to be awful going in, but I'm now looking forward to Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy. (Still expect JJ's 9 to be just like 7 all over again, though.)

Basically the only criteria I can even conceive of for thinking the prequels are better than TLJ, is if you evaluate them on literally nothing except their worldbuilding. Which is fine, I guess? I mean, you do you, whatever makes you happy. But in that case, I, uh, don't think you even like *movies*.

Rogue one was good. The beginning needed improvement but overall rogue one was the best since empire.

>TLJ
>Good

I'd honestly prefer an ST by unchained Lucas even if he went has insane as he did with the PT. Atleast that would be schlock done by a madman doing whatever he wants, instead of schlock done by a Mouse committee that somehow still manages to write a hundred and one plotholes while badly plagiarizing the OT.

I can't believe Disney Star Wars is actually making me defend the prequels.

Breaking news on the Mandator IV. Turns out the 24 point defense guns number was wrong. The Wook updated the Mandator's armament to a whopping 26 AA guns. For comparison, the 270 m Iowa-class battleship has over 120 AA guns in its WW2 armament configuration.

Best
Worst

Esb
R1
Anh
Rots
Rotj
Cw
Tlj
Tfa
Tpm

Legends: Bellator
Canon: Imperial Class

>schlock done by a Mouse committee that somehow still manages to write a hundred and one plotholes while badly plagiarizing the OT.

TLJ wasn't plagiarized off the OT. It had some visual callbacks, and stuff like the throne room parallel, but it was absolutely not "let's loot the OT for ideas since we have none of our own", like TFA was.

4 > 5 > 6 > 8 >>> 7 > R1 > 3 > 1 > 2

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace

Given the quality of ideas they came up with on their own, I'm not sure more plagiarism would have not been a good idea

I have played many many mods over the years, but bar none my favourite is Awakening of the Rebellion.
Each faction feels very distinct and it plays very strategically, since for example building a capital ship is a huge investment and losing one is a major loss. It also makes the AI a whole lot smarter, it is legitimately hard to beat in this one.
Feels like an entirely different game sometimes.
The galaxy map, while not very accurate, is set up in a way that is just insanely fun to play.
Highly recommend.

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Paint Drying
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

If they had tandem guns/missiles i'd buy it

For what it is worth, I thought it was a well-acted, well-shot and well-cgi'd piece that fixed a lot of the problems TFA had, at the cost of introducing a truckload of other issues.
Particularly vexing were the complete refusal to deal with the mysteries of the previous film (most notably Snoke), wasting charisma powercouple Finn&Poe on bullshit (and wasting other characters period) and going against established conventions seemingly just to be contrarian.
On the plus-side Ray was a lot better this time around and Leia was pretty excellent.
That being said, I have no idea where they'rd taking things from here. With another 30 minutes or so this could have been the last SW movie no problem.

>Star Wars has never been subtle but the preachy dialogue about the Rebel ideology every 15 minutes got stale
That's such bullshit man, Rebels should never have to give long winded speeches about what they stand for because it should be self-evident that they're the ones doing the right thing.

Empire are the cool side. Rebels are the righteous side.

I thought it was boring. It was too long, meandered and didn't accomplish much and committed the cardinal sin of telling, not showing at every opportunity.

This so much, she was a completely unnecessary character.

X-wing player here just had my first taste of Star Wars Armada.

how do i balance myself with these two games.. coz i wanna play them both :/ all that money on X-wing and Armada.. i how do i do this?

Reallocate funds normally spent on other luxuries like junk food, alcohol, or tobacco. Improve your health and collection at the same time.

That’s just how Fractalsperg rolls.

Thematically the strongest entry in the series. Overall I'd say maybe equal in quality to Return of the Jedi (which I'd rate the weakest of the OT).

26 dorsal, no ventral.

I actually sort of like this thing. Presumably it has decent shields and it’s built around the siege guns, so scrimping on everything else does make sense.

Good fun movie! Had some flaws e.g. Holdo's plan which was good by itself but retarded when she didn't share it with anyone for no reason other than audience suspense and obliterate her soldier's morale.

Also the "blogosphere" has decided they are going to taunt the shit out of people who don't like the movie, which is basically the worst thing and will probably make even people who liked it hate it after awhile.

Then whenever the next movie comes out there will be a bunch of "brave" think pieces about how actually they knew the movie was actually bad the whole time, but don't worry the next one will be amazing!! Oh and Don't forget Force Friday(tm) is coming up with brand new merch XD!!

Some guy on twitter made a face-swap with Adam Driver and Keannu Reeves.

woah

aaand i forgot the bloody image

Anyone seen Keannu recently, or should we put Adam Driver to the list of possible Keannu Reeves personas?

Biggest flaw in movie.

Awakening of the Rebellion and Thrawn's Revenge are the go-tos.

>1922
Aren't there even older pictures of people who look suspiciously like him?

RotJ
Esb
RotS
AnH
TlJ
R1
Tpm
Tfa
AotC
CW

Why the absolute fuck did the mouse not have an overreaching plot for the trilogy? Why is every movie shooting from the hip? I can understand why they wanted different directors but there is absolutely no excuse for why there isn't someone who insures the plot is concise and consistent.

>everyone, I'm going to lure then into a trap, but I'm sorry. I won't be returning, evacuate now!
>over clocking forward deflectors and hyper drive units, deactivating navigation safeties! May the force be with you all....

That was Lucas's job

Because they know people will go to it anyone and it'll make a lot of money so there have no real drive to give a shit, hence why they've largely picked literal whos for most of their actors and production crew.

Are any of the SW novels worth reading?

*anyway

FUCK

I'm working through the Bantam cataloue and it's great. Can't speak for any of the later stuff

My players might want to enjoy some petty revenge, is there a good mouse like race to take pot shots at

bothans

I thought they were catgoats

Bothans are more like goats than anything. Then again, I never liked Bothans, so just genocide them anyway.

TFA - Abrams threw out the plot Lucas created for the sequels - the adventures of Kira and Sam (the Solo Twins) and replaced them with Rey and Finn, but didn't have a plan for the two other movies

TLJ - Rian Johnson was suppose to write 8 and 9 so basically wrap up the trilogy, but apparently shit changed and Abrams was invited back to finish the trilogy

It seems largely that Abram's initial sabotage and tell as you go storytelling method was what screwed the sequels.

Not off the top of my head, sorry, user.

I'm sure there IS something in the EU that you could find on Wookiepedia, but it's out of my knowledge at the moment.

And if Disney is aware that he sabatoged it why hire him back instead of having the other guy at least try to fix it?

Hoo boy, it's the Caamas Incident all over again.

I like using z3r0x's mod
>mfw i found the Vong on the galaxy map

Tell me more, also what game is this a mod for?

I blame shills like . Throwing old canon aside for their own.

Because the Mouse don't care about the franchise as long as it pulls in loadsadollas

How long would it take for pure inertia to wear off?

How easy would it be to make mad gains living on a diet of green titty milk and fish?

>TLJ is the first good movie since Return.