/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Do you have players in your group who actually believe in lucky dice?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2017/12/12/why-do-only-ranger-and-wizard-learn-the-spell-steel-wind-strike/
dandwiki.com/wiki/Fire_Domain_(5e_Archetype)
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/top/
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/wiki/list
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/wiki/bwhr/curated
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJ-4BW0MGz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>(No new UA this month)

They can't be bothered to push out three pages of non-committed material once a month?

I have like 5 dice that roll good for attacks and 5 that roll good for checks
It all comes down to picking which one will roll the best

>Do you have players in your group who actually believe in lucky dice?
No, but I have the whole group convinced that I take dice superstitions seriously just so they won't roll my fucking dice with their greasy fat fingers.

So I'm making a Ranger and struggling for spell choice. Nature Cleric has most of the speak with animals kind of spells already so I don't want to waste picks on those.

So far I've got Goodberry for the ignoring food, bringing people up from 0 and the fact it's plain better then Cure Wounds most the time. I'm not taking Hunter's Mark because most rounds I'll be using Planar Warrior.

Are Ensnaring Strike and/or Zephyr Strike any decent?

But it's Christmas, user. How can they be expected to work on (any day in the same month as) Christmas?

Take spike growth if you get it and silence

Man... I really want to play this now. I even made a sheet for it!

Since I play on Roll20, no.

I was going to grab Silence, not Spike Growth though because the Cleric already gets it every day for free.

Honestly looking over second level spells... I'm glad I get Misty Step from Horizon Walker to use.

After rolling 3 nat20s in a row for an encounter on roll20, my players are convinced that I'm somehow weighing virtual dice.

2 spike growths are better than one, one time me and the party layered ice storm and spike growth with a wall of fire at the end between us and some barbarians, surprisingly it worked

>asked to join a high level game.
>For one reason or another, we are long lived.
>The idea is that we've been level 17 for a long time, like 500+ years.
>Party consists of a Paladin of Ancients who is a king who just stepped down from the throne to hand it over to the first worthy heir in 500 years. Spent on this time trying to make the perfect kingdom.
>Another is a Monk, who had isolated himself in a mountain for a lot of years, working with a smithy and trying to craft legendary artefacts. He has become a rite of passage for any swordsmaster or other wise important person, who tracks up the mountain to get a weapon forged by him.
Not sure what the last one is yet, but he took dips on a Dragonblooded Sorcerer.

I am considering a GOO Warlock, who just had fun running around impersonating everybody with disguise and alter self, and has created so many alternate identities, that the Warlock no longer remembers what the original body he had looks like. Even the gender is lost to time, and the identity has just become a "whatever I feel like today", or even a "Hey looking like this might be useful" and then changes into that.

Any thoughts on this? Any Warlock options I should consider? We are not allowed MC, but even then, I feel a bit overwhelmed having to pick so many spells, before really having a feel for the character. Especially the level 6+ spells, as they are so locked in place once I pick them, that I really feel i can't afford to mess those up.

That's what happens when you have real pure chance instead of the weight that dice can add in to skew the rolls.

>Seeker of the Sound. Whenever you cast a spell that has only a verbal and somatic component you can choose to cast it as though it only had a verbal component. Whenever you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that only has a verbal component, including those modified by this feature, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier that last for one minute.

Singing Eldritch Blast! And you heal from Dissonant Whispers.

>Eldritch Invocation: Cheerful Duet. If you have a symphonic songbird as your familiar, it gains additional maximum hit points equal to your warlock level. You can choose to cast spells that require only verbal components as though you were in your familiar's space.

Eldritch Blast has even more range.

Try to remember not to use a certain set of percentile dice when rolling for loot. If there's a bag of holding on that table the party will get it, if it's the only good thing on the table they'll get that. Pretty sure it's just something in the dice but it still makes me shake my head sometimes.

>implying a program can ever be "real pure chance"

There's one player in my group who never, ever rolls below 10, at least according to her. She swipes her d20 off the table the moment it stops moving so I've never actually seen her rolls.

what kind of shit dm allows that

Does anyone have advice for writing their own module? I really want to write an adventure, but I also want to set it out in a way similar to published content, so that it's easier for me to navigate.

Her boyfriend.

I'm sure you have your reasons for playing with these "people"

Yeah, they're my only friends.

>Implying anything is pure chance

I'm so sorry

basically i'm gay

My entire group believes in "Cursed Dice" so much so that they don't like it if I have to use them, its bizarre to me.

Maybe its cause they don't have many dice so they just keep them closer? If I had metal dice I'd keep them safe, but not so much so as to call them "Cursed" or "Blessed".

I feel like partly the reason why people have a "problem" with XTGE gish subclasses is that they feel incomplete in one way or another

For one the spell that you would want for a gish is kinda all over the place and sometimes doesnt mix well, I mean other and wizard there isnt a sub(class) that get access to Haste,Shadowblade, Steel Wind Strike

God the things I could set up as a lvl 17 Wizard with 500 years of prep time.
Not even from a powergamer standpoint, just as a clever bastard who knows how to prepare for any situation.

He found a manual of clear thoughts
Used it 6 times

If you want those spells and still feel like a Spell Blade, X Bladesinger/2 Fighter can pull that off fairly well.

I do agree though Steel Wind Strike is not on enough spell lists, Hexblade's at least should have gotten it.

sageadvice.eu/2017/12/12/why-do-only-ranger-and-wizard-learn-the-spell-steel-wind-strike/

I assume that is why wizard was specifically not allowed.

>/why-do-only-ranger-and-wizard-learn-the-spell-steel-wind-strike/
But they dont. Bards get it as well :^)

I also like it as a Bladesinger spell, to be honest.

>getting fun tools into as many hands as possible and preserving the specialness of a class
give spell to class cause of a one subclass, but not other classes of similar subclasses

yeah fuck crawford

I fee like the reason why gishfags have a "problem with XTGE Gish subclasses is a no true Gish syndrome. As to the spells being all over the place it's almost like it was done intentionally since they're atleast pretending they want to keep the martial caster balance.

I'd be hardpressed to call what they do "work."

>spells being all over the place it's almost like it was done intentionally since they're atleast pretending they want to keep the martial caster balance.

it would be easier if they made them class only spells

>Start a new campaign session 0
>We roll stats, 4d6 drop lowest
>3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 12
>DM has shit eating grin and says I have to stick with it
>Not allowed to go variant human for a feat
>Friend tells me about the Tortle race and their sweet AC17
>Friend also suggests I put that 12 into Charisma and go Hexblade for Charisma Attacks
>DM tells me I'm too stupid to understand or know languages, I operate on instinct
>Also, I'm not be house broken
>Also if with negative constitution, it means my max HP goes down if I roll the hit die bad on level up

I'm now determined not to die out of spite.

warclaster or resilience for sword bard

Do you have Dissonant Whispers?

making a level 8 character so maybe?

If so get Warcaster. Due to Dissonant Whispers being able to cause Attack of Opportunities you can actually get some use out of the AOO spell casting part of the feat. Also its good for concentration.

homebrew is totally fine guys
>dandwiki.com/wiki/Fire_Domain_(5e_Archetype)
martial weapons, heavy armor and throws 48damage fireballs by level 5

I swear, some people shouldn't be allowed to upload their shit

Did anyone make a decent warlord yet?
I want a tactical warlord, as in improving the party defenses/attack rather than healing them

I'm pretty clueless about casting and about to roll an EK (no multiclassing planned for now), from what I've read there are roughly 2 types, the ones that concentrate on support spells like shield and are actually encouraged to dump int and the ones with high int using evocation spells. I'm planning on playing the second type, is going snb the best way to go? It seems like a great weapon EK simply does too much damage with his normal attacks to justify forgoing them to cast a spell, even with a decent int.

I have a pair of green D6 that roll satisfying numbers to me.

Tell your DM to fuck off and to not tell you how your character works in roleplay. Wolves and Dire Wolves have an Int of 3 and can be house trained. Not that hard to imagine a playable race knows not to shit where they stand. I'd also argue Intelligence has no bearing on learning languages so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to speak.

Also since your DM seems to want to be a shit eater there's no reason your character should work with the party if he still says you work off instinct. Just say your character sees animals it likes to eat and then run off into the woods to never be seen again. Roll new character.

Warcaster's shit about casting with two weapons is mostly useless.
Resilience is pretty solid if you have an odd stat.
Otherwise, up your goddamn charisma faggot.

>Using DandWiki
Why are you not using Unearthed Arcana?

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/top/
>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/wiki/list
>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/wiki/bwhr/curated

This stuff may not be perfect, but people at least test their stuff and get feedback.

Should've been a moon druid or a wizard, they don't care much about their stats.
A tortle wizard would definitely work.

But
>Rolling for stats
and
>Rolling for health instead of averages

a player brought up that for his cleric
I'll check that, thanks user

If I fill my "bowl" of commanding water elementals with beer, will I summon an alcohol elemental?
Will filling it with holy water make the elemental do radiant damage instead?

why would you want to play with that DM?
unless its a oneshot

It's literally just tempest cleric but with 'fire' instead of tempest abilities.

I'd call it refluff if it wasn't essentially a buff with regards to that max damage fireball you mentioned.

With all this talk of homebrew. I could still use some feedback on these.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJ-4BW0MGz

>Get warcaster
>Cast Dissonant Whisper
>Warcaster AOO Haste
>WHOOOOSH GOES THE ENEMY
>Immediately drop concentration.

What your dm stats? All 1?

Any good homebrewed buffs/fixes for Monks Sun Soul? I wanna throw around light(ning) bolts and praise the sun, but it just seems kinda weak and boring except for the first 2 skills

call her out but don't be a cunt about it
how old are they?
that's some childish shit

>Warcaster AOO Haste
>WHOOOOSH GOES THE ENEMY
>Immediately drop concentration.
This would be amazing, if Haste did not require a willing target.

>if Haste did not require a willing target.
Damn, I forgot.

I've never had a situation where I'd want to haste an enemy, so I just assumed I could.

well DUH, you're on Veeky Forums.

I like the way you think user, trying to weaponize Haste sounds really cool and It would be really good!
>Target moves 60+ feet away
>Loses Reaction
>Gets Lethargic and loses its next turn.

5eg official weebshit game when

I swear the only game I've seen hosted on here was an extra-short oneshot at level 1 in an arena

Well, I'll probably play it as I'm effectively a disposable meat popsicle for my patron. Go chaotic stupid and shit myself whenever I can.

Fuck! I did not think about moon druid.
This DM loves the randomness of dice. She rolls for everything that can be rolled for.

DM is friend of a friend and I have a few friends in the group. So I got at least 3 players who'll support my character. Plus I now get to roleplay a retard that fucks everything up "Hey DM it's what my character would do, he is incapable of knowing better"

Ha. I kinda wish I rolled straight 3s. Campaign would derail into the party all taking turns making my my tortle wouldn't swallow his own tongue.

maybe don't roll stats like a fag if you aren't willing to take what the dice give you.

sounds like it was mandated by the DM, friend

I stand by my previous comment.

>Playing with a DM that allows rolling stats at all

Be a Moon Druid with 12 in Wis and 7 in INT?

7 INT is below average, but half of the world population have below average intelligence and you don't see them babble all day. Your DM is one of those too.

You don't have to roll for health. This is both RAW and RAI, if he force you then just quit.

>This DM loves the randomness of dice. She rolls for everything that can be rolled for.

Everything? That's a big red flag of them either being brand new or a shit gm.

>but half of the world population have below average intelligence and you don't see them babble all day.
I have a facebook account

Why are you all so desperate for the UAs?

1. Lot of them are shit.

2. It is not like they are obliged to publish materials for testing. We want them to publish good resulting material, and betatest might help it, but demanding something to test is rather... dunno. Weird. Let them publish that shit when it's reasonably ready.

Mate, I didn't choose to roll stats. But I am rolling with what I got.

Wish I could go moon druid, but session 0 is over and characters are locked in. Although, if I live long enough and ASI charisma to 13+ I might even be able to try this fabled coffeelock I've just read about.

Well, at least it seems like everything. Monster HP, loot tables and she used to have a fumble chart.

>Mate, I didn't choose to roll stats
you chose to play in a game with rolled stats, so yes, you did.

You chose to get this dick in your mouth user.
Buckle up.

>Session 0 is over
Then you haven't even started playing yet, you still have time to switch out of warlock which kinda won't do any damage or any role without charisma aside from maybe some out of combat utility, but worse than wizard.

>implying anyone on Veeky Forums dislikes dicks in their mouth

What changes should I make to Strahd’s spell repertoire?

Anything to add from EE, SCAG or mainly XGE?

give him steel wind strike

It's less about being desperate for material, and more about how lazy they must be (or how understaffed they must be).

Would an Empowered Shadow blade allow you to reroll damage dice for every attack with it, or am I missing something?

Pretty sure, yes.

I know I would allow it, as a GM, at least.

not luck but I have roll tested a few and found some duds. and I keep my DM dice and my player dice separate. mostly though as a player I roll like shit (3s all day) and as a DM I am a crit rolling GOD. I think it's psychological, but you know call it luck if you like.

There is nothing wrong with playing a hexblade, it is pure /5eg/ memery and laziness to cry about turret shit.

I played pathfinder, and I liked it.
I hope my dm don't mind it.

metal dice are awful

one of my players has them and it's like bringing a mace to a tea party

>determined not to die out of spite
welcome to AD&D

(You)

>he never had a tea party cosplaying as a barbarian

You're right, but if you weren't baiting you'd know it's the dipping that people dislike.

It was a shit design to tie medium armour+shields to a patron.

Why would you want to spend a sorcery point every single time you attack?

I wouldn't, I just wanted to know if I can

Oh, also, sorcery cost aside I'm not sure if shadow blade's damage counts as 'spell damage'. It conjures a 2d8 damage weapon, and then you make weapon attacks with it rather than spell attacks. However, it could very well count as spell damage still, but I think this would only be relevant if you were against an ancients paladin or something who halves spell damage.

the damage of the blade is psychic damage, so I do believe it is "spell damage"

That's poor reasoning.
If I put a weapon on the weapon table and you found it and it dealt psychic instead of slashing damage, it wouldn't be spell damage. Kenseis can even pick shadow blade as a kensei weapon.

I think what should be asked is:
If you cast 'magic weapon' on a weapon and give it a +2, then attack someone who halves spell damage, does the weapon do [Usual damage]+1 or [Usual damage]+2?

>If I put a weapon on the weapon table and you found it and it dealt psychic instead of slashing damage, it wouldn't be spell damage
no, but seeing as how we are talking about A FUCKING SPELL...

First time DM here, trying to start a game with some friends.
I'm trying to do a Plane Shift campaign, probably starting with X Marks the Spot, and then plot twist the ending by having whoever is alante's contact betray them and have a firing squad "take out" the PCs, which causes some of their sparks to ignite and planeswalk the fuck out of there as a group.
How retarded does this sound and what tips can I use to make the campaign more interesting?

It's not that simple.
You could use a spell to create an ordinary sword or a magical sword, but I imagine either both are subject to spell resistance or neither is.

I think the deciding factor though is that shadow blade isn't an instantaneous spell, which means that it's ongoing and that it might count as spell damage for that, maybe. But I've been looking through sage advice of similar examples such as elemental weapon and magic weapon spells and I haven't found anything thus far because nobody would ask this question because it's mostly just pointless, you don't come across enemies with spell resistance and there's no reason to use the +spell damage there.

Oh, no, here's a good question - Does shadow blade also add extra spell damage from shit like stone sorcerer's ability or evocation wizard's ability?
But I'm still not finding any relevant sage advice on that question either.