Are sun gods the best patron gods for paladins?

Are sun gods the best patron gods for paladins?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQGN0UwuJxw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>sun god
Not the superior war god.

Depends which Sun God.
If you go for AD&D Lathander, he was basically a greek god of olympic athleticism who also happened to be a sun god, and to be honest I kind of love the idea of naked oiled up paladins grappling evil into submission.

The Golden Witherer, The Thirsting God, The Burning Eye. He is not a nice god.

Lady of Rains is better.

only if that patron is none other than Pelor, the Burning Hate

Normally Sun Gods are the guys who drag the sun back and forth and aren't very important. It's usually the Sky God (Odin, Jupitor, Yahwey) who brought the sun into existence. So while a paladin of the Sun God would be very good as far as thematically, it would likely be very specialized unless the Sun God and the Sky God were the same person, which they usually are not. Go Sky God instead. You can keep the Sun motif but you gain the strongest and broadest god as your patron.

Depends on the pantheon. In the Greek pantheon, for example, the best god for a hypothetical paladin would be Athena, but in the late Roman pantheon, yeah, definitely Sol Invictus.

This was meant for the OP As for the sky gods like Zeus, they are better for kings rather than paladins.

>Not the god of wisdom and battle

>best patron gods for paladins?
Crocodile gods are the best, they know how to relax and fight really hard for the things they believe in

God of Justice and Peace

deity-aligned Paladins are shit and they compromise the devotion to their higher ideal by letting a meddling power dictate over them

You mean the god of cum guzzling and laziness?

Pretty much this
>Greek paladins would probably have Athena as a patron
>Roman paladins might follow Mars who has enough differences from Ares to make him a worthy patron god
>For late Roman Empire Sol Invictus is the obvious choice
I also think a Muslim style paladin could be interesting assuming you aren't a faggot who goes "derp Islam=terrorism" or "herp committing acts of violence means you aren't a Muslim"

Gods of holy wrath and retribution are where it's at

Why can you people never express opinions like a normal person?
>What is best X and why is it Y
>implying X isn't best Y
>excuse me, best X coming through/just being best X

Just talk like normal people what the hell. "Hey guys, what gods fit paladins (if you consider them as holy warriors) in your opinion, related to your setting or in general? I think it's sun gods, by which I specifically mean sun personified/the sky god/the god of light/some other thing."
I mean, even that shit is in the vein of: "What would you do with a time machine? Here's what I would do," but it's still a hell of a lot better phrased and makes for less retarded arguments and shitflinging.

On topic, my vote really depends on alignment (if you use any) and whether your paladin tends towards good, justice, both, neither (maybe his cause is simply spreading religion by any means necessary). Light, justice, war, a singular deity would be my choices since you haven't specified the type of paladin you mean.

>Why can you people never express opinions like a normal person?
You answered your own question. It would...
>make for less retarded arguments and shitflinging.
Which is a goal for some people.

pmuch
youtube.com/watch?v=zQGN0UwuJxw

>tfw Golarion doesn't have a good Sun God

It made playing a Paladin really hard.

Perfect for my multiclass paladin/bard

Hot.

I feel you

>nothing but basic bitches in mainland
>Shizuru is nowhere as cool as Amaterasu
>one trickster furry no one gives a fuck about

Golarion is cucked

Ilmater is the god of true Paladins.
You don't have to be strong, or talented.
All you need to do is get up every day and go out to do what's right. Help people when they're in need, and protect them from the things that want to harm them.
A paladin suffers for the sake of the people.

>Golarion doesn't have a good Sun God
Literally Sarenrae you dumb fucks. Heck, there's even a self-contained Cathedral-City dedicated to her on the bloody Sun's surface. They don't call her the Dawnflower for nothing. The Sun is even in her bloody Profile!

The worst part is the closest deity to a Sun God(dess), Sarenrae, is far more focused on being a generic healing and redemption goddess where her Sun portfolio is an afterthought.

The cosmology was cool with Empyreal Lords and Demon Lords, but the main cosmology is just a pure unadulterated mess. Cayden Cailean is boring, Torag is boring, Iomedae tried but is boring, it's all just so tiresome.

See She's also a weirdo Not!Islam centered around Qadira and prominently associated with the Persian/Near East aesthetic, which makes playing a big ole Ulfen Paladin of her difficult.

Don't forget how they keep giving Cayden and Erastil's shit to Milani, because Jacobs loves to masturbate furiously to his waifu goddess of plucky CG rebels, all because he believes it's impossible to be both Lawful and Good

Eh, they've been pulling back on that, though Cayden's basically been forgotten as a God and Erastil's just one huge mess they're still trying to sort out - they included two Erastil Clerics in the Ruins of Azlant AP (one's a bitter middle-aged human male and the other's a gay half-elf, go figure) so he's not entirely lost.

I feel that it's more of a weird not!Islam not!Zoroastrianism cross than purely Islam in inspiration. It's probably due to Paizo not wanting to bother separating the pre-Islamic Persian Empire and the Islamic world that followed for their setting.

There's a lot about her that makes sense if you look through a Zoroastrian lens, yeah.

Apollo is the best Greek god for a Paladin, though. Oracle, healer, protector from evil.

There's a reason he was extremely popular among worshipers, was set to replace Zeus and was one of the most important gods.

A Paladin just can't go wrong with Apollo.

Depends on setting.

Tiwaz it is, then. Sky, law and war in one package.

There's a reason why I'm Greek epics warrior heroes usually get their blessings from Athena.

Also, Apollo is rather for bards, healers and wizards.

No, death gods are.
After all, paladins are murderers.

Greek heroes were not paladins. Not even close

Islam is a paedophile warlord's death cult.

Why not both?

You are correct in all you assumptions user

Those are veritable facts.

I thought that was catholicism.

Please don’t start arguing about religion, it’s a shitty topic and you’re all probably wrong anyways

I know, but they are the closest thing Greek culture had.

Prove the death cult part.