/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
Is a Coffeelock still a Coffeelock if they drink Tea?

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/books/dungeons-monsters-dragons-books
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is a Coffeelock still a Coffeelock if they drink Tea?

as long as the 'strenuous activity' to break a long rest is masturbating i don't see why not

>Is a Coffeelock still a Coffeelock if they drink Tea?

Yes. Tea contain natural caffeine.

Is Coffeelock the only truly broken 5E setup, or is it just the newest?

>Tea contain natural caffeine.

What contains unnatural caffeine?

Why is that whenever normies want to make an edgy spell caster they immedietly go toward's the warlock class? Do they completely forget Necromancers exist? Warlock's are basically the bitch of some otherwordly fiend/fay/god even at highest levels but you're the leader of your own army when you make a necromancer. Why do normies do this so often?

Redbull?

it's not even all that broken considering two things:
Practical play and a DM being present.

because you make big choices up front to define your character and they think those choices make them unique

newest lest ye not forget nuclear druid

Define broken. I personal twitch uncontrollably anytime someone mentions Paladin 2/Sorcerer X

>Coffeelock
Been offline for a while, what fresh hell is this?

I must learn, so I can prevent it. Many of my gaming group are 3.5PF powergamers and I want to avoid shenanigans when I start to run 5E.

How bad is it if nearly everyone in the party has high DEX and WIS, but no one with more then 12 STR?

>Warlock's are basically the bitch of some otherwordly fiend/fay/god even at highest levels

according to the DMG, a level 20 warlock can become a patron in their own right.

If you're looking for broken, creativity is the most broken thing you allow to get away with. But that's mostly good fun.
No fun is allowing multi-classing. I find 95% of the stupid broken shit in this edition is from someone going 'Yeah I'm a wizard but I dipped two levels of fighter just cuz and now I can action surge once a short rest two fire balls'.
If you ban multi-classing, your games will almost assuredly run smoothly.

Question for other DMs out there:
How "associated" should an Associated Object be for the Teleport spell? Should it be something that particularly represents the place it was taken from (like the book from the library and linen from the bedroom in the examples), or could it be something that simply came into your possession for the first time at the desired location?
I was thinking that spending a 7th level slot to get "1 action Teleportation Circle but with more destinations if you're lucky and a possible TPK if you're not" kind of sucks, but a player being able to label a pebble they get from anywhere and teleport back there perfectly seems against the spirit of the spell.

it's why multiclassing is a variant rule
it's literally only purpose is for minmax bullshit

>Hey DM, I want to polymorph into a half dragon T-rex
>Hey DM, I want to polymorph into a dragon shapeshifted into an elk
>Hey DM, I want to polymorph into something that's not in the MM but is official.
Where do you draw the line?

If they're pulling that shit then it needs to be something they have seen with their own two eyes in the flesh.

>Where do you draw the line?
I hand them the monster manual and say "pick a beast, like spell fucking says"

Polymorph does not require you to have seen the creature to be transformed into.
Shapechange does.

Make them have encounters where a high strength would have made things easier for them.

We had party like that and were doing fine... until we needed to climb cave wall.

Coffeelockadin would be even worse than that.

I'm a player, a Ranger. I was originally going to go Strength but at the last minute I changed to a Halfling instead of a Human with the Heavy Armour feat.

We've got a Moon Druid, and a Monk. So for getting up walls things should hopefully not be too bad.

Polymorph still requires you to know what you are changing the target into. If you haven't seen or heard of a T-Rex how would you know what one is?

To maintain the spirit, maybe the object should at least be man-made?
I'd also kind of want the object to have been within sight of the teleportation circle, too.

There’s literally nothing wrong with Coffeelock. Running out of spells is a dumb meme.

I told my players that missing planned sessions means that your character doesn't get XP.
The idea being to push people to attend(game will be cancelled if 2 or more players can't make it).
Is this a bad idea?

How would any of you feel about a setting or is there any reference to a similar setting where races over a certain amount of years are hunted down and seen as aberrations? Considering this for my next campaign and doing a list, 100 and under would still offer a wide variety of options, and over that would just have to play safe and accept consequences

I just read all the various polymorph spells and abilities.
Only the Polymorph (4th level) spell doesn't specify that the caster would choose the new form.
All other polymorph effects allow the caster to pick a new form.
The caster of 4th level polymorph doesn't necessarily even know what their targets are turning into!

I have seen a mana system that recharges throughout the day. Would that be preferable?

yes, it punishes people for having a life, now I know it may seems strange to you, but people outside of Veeky Forums do, in fact, have lives.

Also, it's stupid because you're using XP instead of the superior milestone method.

How often can you change the element of a spell when using the Lore Master's Spell Secret feature?

The way its worded reads like you can change the element of a spell as much as you want, but if you change what type of saving throw it uses you can't do that part again until after resting.

O S R
S
R

I thought that is standard, isn't it? You weren't here - you don't get XP.

I usually do milestone leveling after finishing important quests or story arcs and if someone misses THAT session, they get to level after the next one. That way, they will be "punished" by being one level lower for the one session, but not crippled, because they will catch up with party soon.

Well, if you care about your life more than about the game, you surely won't mind having less XP, because you have more exciting things to do instead of genociding greenskins. Sounds reasonable.

Can anyone tell me if the current Humble RPG bundle is worth getting?

humblebundle.com/books/dungeons-monsters-dragons-books

>all homebrew
No.

party weaknesses aren't really that bad unless your DM specifically decides to attack them. you might occasionally struggle a bit but unless your DM is running an intentionally more difficult campaign style or is just an asshole you shouldn't run into too many helpless situations without at least knowing that it could be avoided with the right choices. Mostly you'll just get comical instances of characters being unable to perform some relative mundane task

>Dungeons, Monsters & Dragons --5E--

wtf is this

yeah, thought so. All that stuff looks cheap as fuck

I figured they probably can't use "Dungeons&Dragons" because of copyright or something?

But user, it is for _charity_! (Alternatively, it might be in Trove.)

To clarify a couple things, This is after we have agreed on there being a session(which gets planned less than 7 days in advance) and somebody decides they can't go.
I sort of imagined that as long as the player isn't flaking out on a shit ton of sessions, the difference would actually be negligible/non-existent, but the players would still feel inclined not to flake out.
Or despite the above, do you think it is still a bad idea?

In a game I'm running, one of my party members decided to be not talkative, edgy, and by circumstance, ended up on the opposing side of a stand-off, everyone uneasy and ready to fight it out.
My players are cool and know all the pitfalls of splitting up, being dickasses, and PvP, and know to avoid all of the above.
The party had a task to capture the rebel leader, and one of them ended up joining them, they had more information about the situation (they didn't choose to share it, though).
It is likely that my players will try to talk themselves out of combat in this situation, but in the event that it turns into combat... what am I supposed to do? Initially I have the thought of running the odd one as an NPC to ensure no-PvP table rule. Death isn't a final thing in this case so I can afford to have characters die(people are revived elsewhere, in an even worse situation). However, they can't really 'try again' on a total failure (possible), the opposing side would have time to enact their plan and leave.
How do I defuse the situation in case of combat, and rejoin the party?

The system assumes players are of similar level.

Take a page from the Army and give everyone who attends an xp penalty.
Make sure to tell them who's responsible for the penalty.

How the fuck does Coffeelock even work? Are you allowed to have more than your max amount of spell slots? Seems like something they would have made a ruling for

Mechanically which one of these is better?

>Horrizon Walker/Swashbuckler
or
>Horrizon Walker/Battle Master

I love the flavor for both, I just can't decide which one is the better choice.

let them play it out and don't take away a player's autonomy

only an idiot would fight their teammates

Quick question, /5eg/
Can a barbarian use another rage whilst already raging to refresh its duration? I don't see any answers to this anywhere and it seems it'd be possible

Do you really want to pay money for chuck's dragons?

Sorcerers 'create' spell slots with their Flexible Casting feature. There is no upper limit on spell slots, it's the whole thing that a sorcerer should be able to burn smaller slots to make one bigger one.

>On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action.
>You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

one bonus action per turn, user

>Chuck's Dragons
>by Bill Webb and Matt Finch
Wait so who the feed is Sneed?

ah, I meant that if I activated a rage on turn 1, then next turn or any turn within that minute window could I use a bonus action to rage again and reset the timer

You're thinking of Sir Coffee.

Ah, I see.. sure I guess-- in that case you could treat rage as a spell that requires concentration, but you can't break it with damage.

Any benefits cannot be doubled in this sense, since you broke concentration.

shadow monk warlock

Can +1 swords magic spells hit harder?

I'll be playing Curse of Strahd with a bunch of rookies, I've played it multiple times but I'd rather they take the spotlight. As such, I've been wanting to play a support/tank character.

Should I run Grasslands Druid for giving haste to the potential martials or just run Eldritch Knight with sword and board and never get hit?

That requires darkness user. I don't always have darkness. Plus I want Steel Wind Strike one day.

I don't want to stack benefits or anything, but figuring out how long I can keep a rage going without ever leaving the rage is what I want clarity on

Assume they get into a fight.
I'm trying to make sure I have ideas for worst outcome.

He doesn't want to double benefits, merely restart the duration countdown. That seems reasonable to me.

If you use the concentration analogy - he cast the same concentration spell again and get whole new duration, but the former one fizzles.

Reminder that there are good and bad ways to critique homebrew and good and bad ways to make them.

Tell me, is this practical issue, or merely intellectual masturbation? Nothing wrong with either, just... curious.

Also, if the former, check with your DM.

right, and treating it as concentration would prevent the ambiguity in reading eg:

>spectral warriors appear when you enter your rage... The effect on the target ends early if you rage ends.

but what about berzerker frenzy?
>When your rage ends, you suffer one level of exhaustion.

did the rage end?

Instead of taking Aspect of the Moon for its rule nebulous never-sleepery, you tough out the rising CON DC checks with Sorc based Con proficiency + Favour of the Gods + Resistance cantrip, and Paladin Protective Aura. If you can squeeze it in, take 6 levels of Fiend for Dark One's Own Luck.

The other way is to cast Greater Restoration every time you fail a sleep saving throw, but that build's called Angel Dust, because of the amount of powdered diamond your divine character has to go through.

If you were to start up a new rage during a previous rage, the previous rage would end.

You might also say that the previous rage is still ongoing, you only gain the benefits of Rage once, though as the feature shares a name with itself.

practical issue, I intend to check with my DM as well but its only for a level-20 one-shot. effectively I want to try out a level 20 barbarian, so unlimited rages that dont stop until the clock runs out. With path of zealot, I can't die whilst raging- so effectively, if a rage is kept up, my guy can become a violent force of nature, which does sort of befit the epic-level tier required but still is pretty bonkers.

Never because nobody would allow you to play loremaster unless they're dumb.

Oh yeah, Zealot Barbarians are unkillable at 20th level. The only way to drop them is to, ironically, cast Sleep on them.

There's nothing wrong with paladin2/sorcerer X assuming you actually allow feats like you should do. Otherwise, if you're not allowing feats, you should ban either martials or casters.

I'm pretty sure you can change the element without restriction, though if I was a DM I'd level gate the better elements since there's no reason to take advantage of that versatility when you can just make everything force. Lore Master in general needs a little bit of houserule balancing to not be ridiculously OP.

Can someone explain what soyboy means please?

ask Veeky Forums, now fuck off

First and third are fine by me. The second is a nono, unless we're talking about True Polymorph or Shapechange, because we're considering the CR and Type of the dragon, not the elk.

any good tables for small random shit besides the trinkets in the PhB or an expanded trinkets table?

I mean trinkets are exactly what I want but I need a bigger table or at least one that is not in the PhB. DMG has stuff like ewer, fancy chair and chalk none of which are interesting in the least.

Nuclear druid never worked, RAW you couldn't multiclass with it, and RAI it would have worked with druid spells. UA never balances around multiclassing, so they didn't plan for magic missile.
It's the same shit as bardic horsecasting, it never worked.

Someone who has low testosterone for their age, believed to be caused by consuming too much soy. AKA nu-males.

>non of which are interesting
ewer of strangely putrid smell,
magically comfortable chair that smothers any pain as long as you sit on it
never ending chalk.
You just need some imagination user, that's also what you need to make a infinite table of shit to roll

There's also a Gothic Trinkets Table

My barbarian is bound to die soon.

This DM allows anything published, and yes, multiclassing.

I want to show them what broken is.

What do I roll up to ruin the table?

It'll be level 10 or 11

you.

can't really slight of hand a magic chair

and nobody tracks chalk so one piece is pretty much never ending no matter what

Do you mean published as in, by wotc, so core books, adventure books, SCAG and XGtE? Do you mean .pdfs released officially, like EE Companion? How about test material, like UAs? Or is it some strange combination of paper products but by anyone?

Also, you are a faggot. Leave the game instead of ruining other peoples experience.

Is Ritual Caster good? Been thinking of getting Wizard Rituals on my Ranger.

>lore wizard x/ tempest cleric 2
>change every spell to lightning damage
>always do max damage
At last, a class more broken than Coffelock.

Nigger, you can only use Channel Divinity once per rest.

Current meme is Coffeelock but that won't fly if your DM has two brain cells to rub together. Just go Warlock 2 / Sorcerer 9.
Pick up Agonizing Blast and Hex as warlock, and Quicken Spell as sorc. Every combat should look like
>hex something, EB it for 3d10 + 3d6 + 15
>spend every round quickening EB on the hexed target for 6d10 + 6d6 + 30
>proceed to out damage literally everybody else
Go Hexblade for another curse to use and Divine Soul for cleric spell access

>always
But it takes your Channel Divinity. Still seems good.

I'm sure some cheese can be figured out regarding short rests.

published by wotc, including UA and EE companion or any pdf with the WotC mark.

I don't want to ruin the game, as much as ruin the balance. The discussion about multiclassing and using any/all sources has long been a conflict with me being the only one that seems to be of the mind that a single class character can be fun BECAUSE of limitations, as opposed to every level being a question of "How can I be ready for anything, or so good at something that nothing else matters"

swashbuckler easily

I mean, its REALLY WHATEVER YOU WANT, in the last game I DM'ed this guy was very upset I didn't want him to play a PteraFolk ranger revised X kensai monk. if it "fits in the rules" its fair game

>Aspect of the Moon
>Prerequisite: The Archfey patron
>You have gained the Maiden of the Moon’s favor.
>You no longer need to sleep and can’t be forced to sleep by any means.
>To gain the benefits of a long rest, you can spend all 8 hours doing light activity, such as reading and keeping watch.
Might be misreading this, but aren't you still taking a long rest?