Lost Races

Are there any official or semi-official rules or methods for converting 3.5 playable races to 5th editiion?

I need information on updating:
>Asherati
>Aventi
>Azurin
>Bugbears
>Bullywugs
>Changeling
>Darfellans
>Deep-Imaskari
>Dromites
>Elan
>Goblins
>Goblins (Blue variant)
>Hag-Spawn
>Half-Giants
>Hobgoblins
>Ibixians
>Irda
>Karsite
>Maenads
>Minotaurs (the easily playable Krynn variety)
>Necropolitans
>Raptorans
>Sea-Kin
>Shifters
>Spell-Scale
>Xeph
>Yuan-Ti
>Uldra
>Underfolk

I kinda really need these races for a setting I'm going to be running in January. Any guidelines or assistance would be welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Minotaur, and Yuan-Ti already exist, so you can take those off.

Including rules for playing them? Good. But that still leaves a lot of stuff to be updated.

Why not just play 3.5 instead of an edition made for people who think options are a bad thing?

Why do Minotaurs and Hobgoblins in 5e get a bonus to intelligence? Did they go full derp this edition?

Same reason orcs are inferior to half orcs. Also, the minotaur is not a standard minotaur, but a dragonlance faggotronic sailor minotaur.

Same reason you're not using Windows XP. It's super versatile, but there's a lot of glitches in it and it cannot do what modern players want it to do without severe home-editing or crashing. So, we move on to the superior system.

I'm a huge 3.5 fag but I like the balance in 5e and the fact that I can run it for people I don't know and be reasonably sure they won't break the game. Whereas with Pathfinder they are always bringing in full-retard shit. But anyway, user, all you need to do for these races is:
>+2 to one stat
>+1 to another stat
>some kind of racial ability
That's it, honestly.
Also, use this: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
Makes your homebrew look nice and neat.
Deep down, I know that 5e will never have the amazing wealth of options that 3.5 had, nor the "feel" and tone of 3.5, and will never be able to replicate that magical feeling I got the first few years I played D&D, and so in trying to convert 3.5 stuff to 5e I am desperately grasping at a feeling that is gone and I can never have back.

Give it time. I know 5e has been excessively slow to include more player materials, but you have to remember just how aggressively popular 3.5e was during its time. Also, one shouldn't forget that a lot of the written material for 3.5e was just slightly altered and reprinted materials from either 3e and/or Dragon magazine.

>Deep down, I know that 5e will never have the amazing wealth of options that 3.5 had, nor the "feel" and tone of 3.5, and will never be able to replicate that magical feeling I got the first few years I played D&D, and so in trying to convert 3.5 stuff to 5e I am desperately grasping at a feeling that is gone and I can never have back.
I get this feel so hard, friend

There's a Krynnish-style Minotaur in the Waterborne Adventures UA, and an Amonkhetian Minotaur that arguably closer fits the traditional depiction in Plane Shift: Amonkhet.

There are official Goblin, Bugbear and Hobgoblin stats in Volo's Guide to Everything.

There are Yuan-ti Purebloods thats in Volo's Guide to everything.

There are Changelings in the Eberron Update on the WoTC site.

Most of these 5e statblocks can be found on 1d4chan.

The rest have no official stats for 5e yet. There is this one mad user who occasionally pops up offering to try and convert races from pre-5e to 5e, but nobody pays him any serious attention.

Your big issue is that with no real psionics rules out, Dromites, Elans and Blue Goblins are pretty hard to do.

Also, what the hell are Ibixians and Karsites? And how does the Half-Giant and Raptoran differ from the Goliath and Aarakocra/Aven already available?

Ibixians are to Goats what Minotaurs are to cows. Karsites are a magically altered variant of humanity that happened by accident when the Netherese arch-mage Karsus officially ruined magic for everybody forever.

And what sourcebooks do those actually appear in? Because I am that mad user who offers to do race conversions, and I've never heard of them.

OP will probably say no to my offer to help make the missing races, like all the rest, but here's my credentials: docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

IIRC Karsites are mentioned in the Pact Magic Monsters section of the Tome of Magic. Ibixians are from... Monster Manual 3. They' re weaker than monstrous minotaurs, about equal with the Krynotaurs.

OP here. Go hog wild, please. Your existing conversions all seem a tiny bit too strong, by like 15%, but they're all good starting points.

Thanks. I should add Ibixians to 1d4chan at some point.

Balance in 5e is fiddly because, frankly, it's not like the official races aren't all over the place. Seriously, have you compared some of the shit that's in just the printed books alone?

Anyway, what do you want me to tackle first?

What the fuck are Blue Goblins?

Asherati? From Sandstorm? Them and the Yuan-Ti take the place of elves in my setting.

A blue goblin with psionic talents

As it so happens, I did that in one of my older race converting threads. It's in the doc already, under the Exotic Humanoids segment. Next?

Goblins with a slight blue tinge to their skin and hair, and favoring the Psion class. Their only unusual trait in 3.5 that separated them from normal goblins was their preferred class and the fact that they all had 1 extra psionic Power Point naturally, making them eligible for taking Psionic Feats right away, and a +1 level adjustment.

... Just go alphabetically? I'm happy with whatever I can get.

Sorry user, i had the same feeling when i switched off from ad&d to 3e. It will never get better, all the things you like are gone. Welcome to the grognard fellowship

Very well, let me see...

Aventi - Literally, just use the Triton in Volo's Guide. That's all they are, Tritons with a theme of being post-humans instead of stranded elemental-kin.

Azurin... with no mechanical conversion of Incarnum, there's not really a lot you can do with these guys. They're humans with a distinctive look and a free Incarnum point. There's nothing to do with that.

Bullywugs - Will Grippli do for this? I have a Grippli racial profile already.

Darfellans - I got these written up in the doc.

Deep Imaskari - Need to double-check Forgotten Realms' Underdark from 3e, but I think I can make something out of this.

Dromites/Elan/Blue Goblins - I really got no ide what to do with these when we have slag-all in the way of psionics rules.

Hag-Spawn - Do you mean the pseudo-Oni from Faerun's Unapproachable East, or PF's hag-bred witch-women? Because I have an Oni and PF Changelings ("Haglings") both already written. If you want to be really accurate to the actual 3.5 stats, why can't you reskin a Goliath? They are pretty much the same, off the top of my head.

Half-Giants - What defines these from Goliaths?

Ibixians - Can convert.

Irda - Have them in the doc already.

Karsite - Can write.

Maenad - These are the "Wilder match race" from the Psionics books of 3.5, right?

Necropolitans - Do you want these guys to be a template or an actual race?

Raptorans - How do these guys differ from the Aarakocra in the Elemental Evil Player's Guide?

Sea-Kin - I need to know where these come from.

Shifters - There's an Eberron Update on WoTC's site with these guys already. They're kind of crap, but I don't really have any better ideas.

Spellscale - Got a draft of these in the doc, but want to rework them.

Xeph - Where are these from?

Uldra - Will give them a shot.

Underfolk - Where are these guys from, and how do they differ to Deep Imaskari?

Volo's Guide to Monsters

Take Triton, rename to Aventi. Bam.

That said, having never heard of these guys before, I am already a sucker for them.

They're basically 5e tritons with a backstory that is Fantasy World Atlantis and characterised more as being naive than as being arrogant douches.

Oh, and they look like humans with girls and webbed fingers/toes, not sure how 5e tritons look.

What the hell kind of setting actively NEEDS that much race bloat?

Forgotten Realms apparently
5E tritons are basically blue-skinned elves with fishy bits.

Can I turn this into a humans only shitflinging contest? We'll see.

I honestly don't know why people need more races than humans, since there's nothing you can't do as a human that you can with another race (inb4 BUT MUH ROBOTS just make them have some brain fuckups that makes them act like a robo, there ya go warforged fags)

With my group I've done human only settings and more generalist ones, and the human characters have almost had more characterization beyond whatever racial stereotypes are playing
>My elf is an arrogant prick!
>My dwarf is a drunk with a scottish accent!
>My gnome is an autistic child kleptomaniac!
All from the same players that I played BattleTech with as a group of 5 people from the same place, all with unique personalities.

This is a decently useful tool for balancing homebrews: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0

So, yeah, if this thread is around when I wake up, I'll get to work on those first conversions, pending commentary from OP on these comments.

What about drunkard elves with a scottish accent?

Why are UA Shifters and Warforgeds so shitty and Changellings so OP?
Why didn't they fix them yet but we have 1001 elf variants?

Use Yolo's guide to monsters, Zendicar planeshift, Innistrad planeshift, Amonkhet planeshift and Kaladesh planeshift.

Thank me later.

A world that does not have Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halfings, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Tieflings, Aasimar, or Dragonborn. A world in its Bronze Age, before great cities or proper nations. A world of constant strife and unknown-unknowns. A world where the 'ancient empires' that build grand monuments which decay into dungeons for adventurers haven't built them yet. A world where the lost and declining races haven't yet hit their peaks.

Hell, no. I'll thank you right now, and you'll like it!

Because, like a lot of things in UA, they just kind'a threw the Eberron racial stats out there? They aren't even really official; expect them to change if they ever release an Eberron splat.

Changelings aren't even OP. In fact, Warforged are the good ones because of that delicious +1 AC.

Changelings cannot natively do anything that could not be replicated by a level 1 Warlock.

Half-Giants are from Dark Sun. So inherent Psionics is the main difference from any other giant blooded race.