The real problem with TCGs is the "Kaiba"s...

The real problem with TCGs is the "Kaiba"s. When games like MTG first released they had certain intentionally broken cards (Power Nine and the original Duals). These cards were artificially limited by their rarity and price of packs. Kaibas were meant to be one-in-a-million players. Players weren't supposed to have perfect decks with playsets of power nine. The players who did have these decks were obsessive geeks and considered unfun to play against, as they were playing to win. Something happened and Kaiba somehow became exalted rather than vilified. Everyone was supposed to be a Kaiba. Tournaments were made specifically for Kaiba. Now, Kaiba has all the formats made for him, so more people can be Kaiba. Standard lets you be Kaiba for a year. Kaibas are the cancer killing TCGs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dwenIfWaIAo
youtube.com/watch?v=emQSCYz4TvE
youtube.com/watch?v=b9_KPuZPpeg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You sound like a scrub.

When people taking your game seriously is the death of your game, maybe your game wasn't all that good to begin with.
"Playing to win" sounds like a bad thing, but it is not. It is the first fucking principle that you are taught. Almost manual tells you to have fun. Every manual points out that you are aiming to win.
Humans are good at learning rules. When winning is the goal, that's a rule you should expect them to pick up.

>games should be taken seriously
>GAMES
>a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure
>>should be taken seriously

You're completely fucking retarded.

MTG was always meant to be competitive and cards weren't intended to be ultra expensive, with $20 to $50 being the high end

Your problem isn't with the players. Your problem is with capitalism. Everything you name is created by the profit motive and the hypercompetitive hellscape that divorces people from each other and from their own need for meaningful companionship, produced by capitalism. Without capitalism, intentionally broken cards would not be rewarded and wouldn't have been created; tournaments wouldn't have to draw people who piss away money extravagantly on them because there would be no reason to need to collect those finances or any way for someone to accrue those finances to piss away in the first place; and formats would not have to look for the highest profit margins (or any profits at all, actually) and fixate themselves on being honeypots or frontiers for spending sprees.

It's not an issue with exploitative players, bad design, competitive people, or some incredibly false fun-versus-excellence dichotomy. Like most of your problems, it's an issue with the corrupt society you find yourself in.

>you shouldn't care about your hobbies

nice one mate

!caring = spending thousands of dollars on a single deck in a children's card game

>cards weren't intended to be ultra expensive, with $20 to $50 being the high end
Even if that's so, what happened? Kaibas and (((investors))) drove the prices up.

This image speaks to me on a deeper level than OP ever could.

>When games like MTG first released they had certain intentionally broken cards

That's not true at all. The Power 9 were not intended to be so broken, it's just that the game was brand new - we are talking about the very first trading card game here - and the guys didn't know how to balance it properly yet. They didn't realize how powerful an effect like drawing three cards or taking an extra turn was, and three mana just seemed like three mana; who cared?

>Kaibas
You leave him alone. He’s the best character in anime.

Spikes, though.

Also, you’re complaining much more than is warranted. TCGs are built to be competitive in order to keep selling cards. Easy access to cards via the secondary market is the thing that changed over the years.

No, the power 9 were literally intended to be broken. Read or listen to an interview with Garfield on the subject, it's pretty interesting.

What's it like to live with the taste of your slavemaster's cock always on your tongue? For people who talk always about useful idiots, you sure can't tell when you're playing the role.

>business model based on buying packs of randomized cards
>some packs get powerful cards
>people who can afford to buy all of the packs are the problem
?????

>intentionally

lmao just proxy nigger just find a FLGS that lets you proxy colored paper is like 10 cents a sheet at your local library.

But seriously, I don't think it's power creep, and Kaiba's didn't ruin MtG, but they're a part of the Greybeards being phased out via social gentrification.

you people are the pits

Yeah, except Kaiba commits suicide to go play cardgames with his mancrush. That's his canon end.

youtube.com/watch?v=dwenIfWaIAo

>everyone wants to be spike
>buys their deck
>everyone is spike now

then the johnnys will rise, because most "spikes" just buy in a popular expensive powerful deck because they are shit at building them.

>its for children
You know that adults aren't supposed to worry about seeming "childish", right? People who wear big boy pants spend thousands of dollars on what they want to spend thousands of dollars on because they like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=emQSCYz4TvE
youtube.com/watch?v=b9_KPuZPpeg

You're a third-rate duelist, with a fourth rate deck!

No, you shouldn't have so much of your self-worth resting on winning a card game that you resort to sinking absurd amounts of money into it just to trounce n00bs at FNM

>I get to decide how much other people should spend on their hobbies and interests!
Do I get to decide if you should neck yourself?

>not posting the image

Who would win?

>The real problem with TCGs is
They end up being too fucking expensive and once you have a deck of your own there's a new rotation. You're always chasing new fads and builds and wasting endless money just to stay updated.

The Kaibas are the people who keep the game running. The attention of casuals can only be held for so long

No the Kaibas are driving casuals away.

Casuals are always being driven away. Or being drawn in. Or in the process of becoming a Kaiba, to some degree. Bu their very definition, a casual has a /casual/ interest in the hobby, and as such are an unreliable metric as individuals but a decent metric as a mass.
Welcome to marketing. Every consumer is who isn't a diehard supporter is an unreliable supporter. It's why subscription based sales have surged in recent decades, because if you make it harder to leave than it is to enter most people won't bother.

I think there's a fallacy here. If casuals weren't driven away by the ultra competitive Kaibas, they would be happy to play the game casually and invest some money in a shitty deck with no real competitive value that they have fun with. Instead there's almost no chance of doing this, if your deck isn't optimized to the max you're handicapping yourself to the point where you won't have any fun being destroyed by the geek who spent 500$ on a competitive deck.

At some point if you're not insane you just go "I won't put up with this shit anymore." I could also say the same thing about DOTA, the relationship between time investment and fun is completely broken.

Kaiba.

He only loses to Yugi.

calm down joey.

user you bastard! I challenge you to a duel, and if I win I get my sides back!

Nah if Joey was behind that post it would've been bitching about Koiba, not Kaiba.

My money's on Tristan.