Player Character Trauma

What is the worst physical or mental trauma you've ever had to deal with in game, anons? Or, alternatively, as a DM/GM what terrors have you inflicted upon your players?

Had a character who needed to have a colony of rats surgically removed from under her skin.

No anasthetic.

The fact this happened to a woman, not a man, makes this all the more horrible. Audiences would be disgusted. A+

We investigated this cave which was used in ages past to test archmages, full of nasty traps and monsters. We go into the hellpit, and are guided by this small spirit, giving us advice on how to get around certain traps, solve puzzles, etc. It is visibly weakening after each manifestation, and ultimately fades entirely. Turns out the spirit was from the unborn child our sorceress was pregnant with, who would be miscarried as a result of our trek through the cave.

One of my characters got skinned. Wouldnt give up info to hobgoblins when I got captured, so they skinned me and left me tied to a road post.

Critical failure led to a trap literally detonating the head of a PC, the hyper-velocity skull fragments wounding another.

Kinda reminded me of Dwarf Fortress

This is probably baby-mode, but getting locked in a room alone for two minutes where every tile sets off arrow traps and explosive runes while toxic gas fills the chamber. Had to teleport out with the 1/day item to keep from dying, so imagine the party's faces when they find the room and the only evidence is arrows, blood, and an enormous scorch mark on the floor.

Traps are typically passive...

Those traps are boring. Interesting traps actively try to dominate and have their way with you.

> tortured for 5000+ years by Asmodeus, all sorts of fucked up shit
> One player had his unborn child murdered by Centaurs when his orc gf was killed
>Watched someone's soul get destroyed and replaced.
> Orcs sodomized a dozen elves with a sword one after another to get the party aroused so they could rape us
> Players have had arms ripped off, skinned, burnt to a crisp

Sounds like your magical realm, faggot.

I'm just a player in this game

Nothing user posted was sexual.

I'm pretty sure sodomising elves with swords to make the party aroused enough to rape is sexual.

This one would be very mild to pretty much anybody, but I was still impressed by it.

In a Deadlands game (and I had very small knowledge of setting when I was playing) I've played as a priest. My character had his sins, he had some shit going in his life, but still, he considered himself a good person, and tried to help others in need (in reasonable limits). Once, by the fault of one really dumb motherfucker, our party picked a fight with a whole lot of armed gunment and got immediately killed.

I got greeted by a Devil, who informed me, that hell awaits. We can escape that fate only by running a small errand for him. Well, it's not like we wont go to hell afterwards, we still will. Devil will just prolong our life for some time, as long as we serve him.

"But why?" — I asked him — "I may not be the purest soul, but I've repented my sins, and also have done a lot of good in my life. I dont believe you, Devil, you are bluffing, you are trying to turn me to sin.

And he told me about original sin, that mattered a whole more, that I previously expected. He reminded me of a lot more other my sins (including murder) that I had comitted, even though i've tried to amend them. Unfortunately, God, forgiving everyone who had repented, was a wishful lie. And now my soul belongs to him. If my soul was destined to go to heavens, what would I do here, talking to devil?

This was quite convincing. Our party had accepted the bargain. Others had gone through this adventure without any kind of visible changes. But my character was broken. His faith was shattered. Whatever he believed before was a complete lie. After that, from the quiet and kind man he transformed into a particularly ruthless killer.

Holy fucking hell, the moment of realization must have been stunning

Yeah I'd say baby-mode, just because it's along the lines of a "you're chained to an anchor in the ocean surrounded by sharks and are about to get nuked" situation, whereas there it is so overkill there is now way out without using some cheat (i.e. using something outside of the player's abilities, completely relying on a third-party force).

> Orcs sodomized a dozen elves with a sword one after another to get the party aroused
> Orcs sodomizing elves with a sword
> actually arousing the party
And I thought I was a freak

>sodomy
>arousal from said sodomy

I had the rich asshole of the group get third degree burns from head to toe, and described the constant pain he was in as he was transported to camp to be healed to a permanently crippled and disfigured state.

He became dark and actually blamed his rich family for encouraging him into a position where he would be scarred permanently.

Well, I just ran a DH session where a PC got possessed by a Slaaneshi daemon. Gave me a great excuse to pull out all the stops on the horrific mental and physical trauma departments. Fun was had by all.

*The Chaos Gods do not guarantee fun. Fun is subject to early termination at Tzeentch's discretion. Fun is to be taken in context of Dwarf Fortress.

i''ve got 2 from the same dm, one of the players had gotten really attached to one of the NPC characters and became really good friends with them in game and we took our spaceship through a rift in space that caused us to crash into a giant pillar, the npc used their psychic powers to swap places with said player as we crashed into the pillar and our ship got bisected by said pillar which turned the npc into paste. the player actually cried because of this.

second was a character who didnt age had created a A.I. version of one of his friends who had died and the a.i. wanted to die because it had been alive much longer than the character it was modeled after wanted to be, due to power outages in the ship the a.i. was attached to, the a.i. pretended to have reset to fuck with the unaging player and he was pretty distraught because he was convinced that he was dead forever.

>playing a lady bard
>party is traveling with gypsy band along major coastal highway
>attacked by orc bandits
>my PC is captured by said bandits
>taken back to ruined cliffside castle and locked in dungeon with other captive women
>amputated at the knees and elbows and locked into hooks
>enchanted for fertility
>used and abused by orc dick with the intent of birthing half-Orcs
>character was retired after this

What the fuck is wrong with some of y'alls GMs?

I worked with my player, most of this other than the setup ended up being her idea anyway:
> edgy female rogue eladrin
> separated from party in castle
> snuck up on, captured, chained up and forced to ingest a magical potion
> relives her tragic backstory, badly abused/abducted/tortured by former bf, hysterical the whole time
> husbando NPC saves her with rest of party, he's the first thing she sees
> can never look at him again without remembering what happened in the castle and what happened in the past
> falls out of love with him, he kills himself, so does she

Sweet girl fighting back tears at some points. Reaaally made us take a second glance at her.

Sounds a lot like the cut/revised mission from Fall From Heaven 2.

>character was retired after this
>no game ending
>no quitting
So that was ERP right?
Like just clarifying.

While that is a pretty interesting, tragic, and memorable story, it sounds like she was reliving something that actually happened to her, and I wouldn't try something like that at my table.

I agree. That's what made us all a wee bit on edge, and I knew that that was a very dead (inside) end.

>Almost entire party of four wipe during grotesque giant frog fight atop a crumbling pillar in a pocket dimension
>Had to all die or abandon the fighter who got stuck climbing it; he died
>Ranger got strangled and drowned while the last two could do nothing but watch her drown or risk drowning too
>Druid in the red gets swallowed while in bird form, desperately clawing at it's insides with talons
>Second fighter delivers impressive crit but also gets snatched up in the jaws of the beast
>Druid is gonna die next turn
>Fighter is unconscious
>Druid uses lighting strike and kills the beast from within while also charring his friend who had just recently had a child with the favorite NPC

>Druid leaves the wretched plane with all his friends dead and an intense fear of water. Had to tell NPC baby mama what happened.

>pic unrelated

In freeform, I've experienced worse, but as far as TTRPGs go the one that really fucked me up is what happened in a Monsterhearts game.

We were playing a 1970s game, near NYC. It was winter and throughout the game, it built up into a blizzard.

My character was a Fae with that whole innocent-slut vibe, trying to get everyone on the hook, even if it were for little things.

Blizzard breaks. Her BFF broke their friendship because my Fae told her that her dad was involved with the murders going on. My Fae didn't have strong enough proof and failed a roll to convince her through other means. She had no strong connections to any of the other PCs or NPCs and her Fae mom was MIA, their last contact being weird and a Veil glimpse suggesting murder.

A police officer (with shady intentions) drove her home and my Fae was looking forward to being safe with her normie dad and regrouping. She goes to the door but has to knock because it's locked, which is odd.

It takes a bit and there's a strange noise before the door clicks open and a man stands there. Her father. Only... only there's something really off about him. His face isn't fitting quite right.

He greets her, reaching out to lightly, tenderly pet her blonde hair and calls her by an endearment. "I'm so glad you're finally home. I've been waiting."

This endearment has only ever been used by an NPC before, a total nobody restaurant worker.

My character understands in a flash that she has nowhere to go. The police officer isn't going to believe her that this isn't her father, and even if he did, going with him might be just as bad.

The GM ended the session as I was gibbering with horror. That feeling has stuck with me for years.

Next session revealed the guy was my Fae's stalker and a skinwalker and she finds her father's skinless corpse. More gibbering terror as the guy insists they're going to be a "family". My character manages to escape.

I literally remember nothing else about the game after that.

>character gets cursed ring of teleportation
>still works, it just feels like you are being sucked through a straw when used
>whatever
>demon who created ring shows up
>doesn't matter that my character found it in a dungeon
>he wants his ring back and reparation
>insert one soul here
>character is taken by greater demon and group can't do shit.
I know this sounds shitty but honestly I knew I should have thrown the ring into a lake. I had it coming
>2 years of torture, mutilation, flagellation, and a whole bunch of other groovy things that end in -tion
>no rescue
>my new characters don't know this old character and I don't want to meta game
>honestly the other players forgot the demon toy ranger existed.
>all that betrayal
Guess who is the new villain in the campaign?

That'll be a fun "REMEMBER ME" moment

>mental trauma
One PC broke under torture. Alright, she broke under the *threat* of torture, revealing the Party's main base of operations as well as the location of their allies. The resulting bloodbath wiped out 3 months of desperate, drag-yourself-through-the-shit alliance building and essentially destroyed any and all support the party had built. Most of their wealth was destroyed, along with the adorable elven child they saw as their mascot.

The party was DEVASTATED. For all but one of them, it was the first game they'd played in, and with only a few words they watched an entire campaign burn down around them. They eventually got payback, and then some, but several of them were emotionally shattered by the event. It goes a long way to explain how they've never waifu'd or daughterfu'd another character in the 6 years since.

Forgot to mention that the group was tight knit, so there was plans for rescue but the way our group works is like a problem of the season. So they got swept up by a Red Dragon attacking major cities due to the fact we accidentally killed one of her descendants.

>Nailed to a cross for being a loyalist guardsman after being captured by cultists.
>Managed to tear self down but due to the pain failed the perception check to realize they hadn't actually gone far.
>Being a proper Catachan kill several of them with one of the rail spikes they used before getting kneecapped.
>Cultists decide this defiant guardsman really had to suffer now and chop off both legs just past the knees, cauterize them to ensure he stays alive to suffer, and nailed him back on the cross.
>Burns all his fate points and suffers a bit of insanity waiting for the Party to find him still alive among the desecrated corpses of the recon team.
>In the aftermath his buddy the Techpriest built an exoskeleton to restore functionality to his arms and a pair of bionic raptor legs of which he had his two favorite combat knives installed into.
Overall things could have gone better but at least he got to tap dance bloody murder into the faces of heretics across the sector afterward.

My character's best friend went insane, caused an entire ship full of people to either commit suicide or kill their friends, then said best friends brain exploded. Psychic power abuse is bad kiddos.

I was once playing a tiefling cleric that worshipped a homebrew God of law and order. Along with the party, they entered into a town that had been asking for aid from a larger city state, we had been picked to go due to a few smaller deeds we had done. We walk through the town and th DM tells use we are getting dirty looks from the town folk, it was a party of two humans, a halfling, and me, the tiefling. It became very obvious that they were either scared of or disgusted by my character. I then choose to stay a bit back from the party so they could carry on to speak with the mayor without an infernal being with them, thought that me being there could hurt the trust building. The halfling decides to stay with me for just in case. After wondering the town for awhile the DM had the two of use roll perception checks, we both fail abs have bags placed over our heads forcefully and are dragged of somewhere. The two of us are separated and my character is tied up and gagged. After an hour in game my character was told that in this town, it was illegal to be a tiefling, and that they were going to "repair my broken body and tainted soul". The town folk then strip my character's gear from him and bind his arms and legs, all the while the halfling had broken out of their cell and was trying to find me. My character decided not to fight back at the time because the law is order to his church, and was praying that if it was his god's will to help these people with their task. After he was bond they poured cold holy oil on me and began to chant some ritual, with a religion check I leaned it was a chant to cast evil back to the hells. The halfling finds where they are performing the ritual and tries to bust in but fails, it's about that time when the town's folk began to cut off my character's tail, right near the base. I take 17 damage from that, and the DM had me roll a CON save to not pass out from the pain, luckily I pass.

Cont?

You don't even need to ask.

Ran a campaign for some friends, it was the second or third one, earlier on they ran into some zealots that we're harassing a Tiefling family. The party gets involved being the natural heros, a fight breaks out when neither side backs down, as the captain makes a run for the horses the party follows. Leaving two armed men near an unarmed family, naturally they grab hostages, the wife and a kid based off a roll and give the heros a choice, back off and let them walk away or those two die. One of players stuck to his character, a hit the captain killing him, naturally the two went through with their threat then raised weapons to finish the other two. Luckily the party at least we're able to stop them from doing that, but they learned a valuable lesson of not leaving armed men near defenseless people they hate. Also that I was taking them seriously when they said they wanted a world that felt more alive with their actions have consequences and things progressing even if they don't get involved. One character developed a hate boner for them, another starting drinking for a while, one cried(figuratively and literally) and the other actually realized that he could easily become them and it shook him for a bit.

The father and daughter that survived continued on to where they were going. The dad blamed himself because they never would have gotten into that situation if he hadn't wanted to start a new life in a province that was far more diverse, where his wife and children wouldn't even draw glances. The daughter at least made something of herself because the one who finished the captain regretted his decision when he saw what it led to. He taught her in down time how to fight and some basic survival skills, paying her for doing odd jobs for the party at their main base since her dad was trying to find comfort at the bottom of a bottle. She grew up and made a name for herself protecting people who couldn't protect themselves.

Going to cont once i get home, phone about to die.

>The fact this happened to a woman, not a man, makes this all the more horrible
Why I hate women in a nutshell.

Wheres this image from?

We once had a GM who went from Gandhi to Lecter in 10 seconds. We were playing DH as a party of rundown Guardsmen from a penal regiment, abandoned by our commanders on a chaos-Invaded mining colony, when we encountered cultists and noise marines. Them being nurgle cultists and plague marines, they felt little to no pain from our flashlights, and our only heavy bolter was low on ammo as we had recently mowed down a horde of plague zombies, which meant that even if killed all the cultists, the marines would bring us a step closer to meeting papa Nurgle if you know what I mean. We were pretty certain that we would not survive and the mentally unstable PC was considering a "if I go out, I'll go with a bang" move, planning to snackbar himself into the cultists with our last remaining frags, when our enemies were suddenly CRUSHED BY THE MIGHTY ROAR OF A DROP POD, us hurdling into what little cover there was while to marines were spraying bolter rounds everywhere, decimating the nurglites with the might of the emperor himself. When they were done, we peeked out and wanted to thank our sudden saviours, but the second one of us stepped out from cover, he was blasted in the head, dying immediately, splattering his brains all over, no warning, no armor, no nothing to save him. The marines had mistaken him for a traitor guardsman because of how run-down and dirty we were, but none of us had expected that to happen. We then ran away, a few more getting gunned down by unrelenting bolter fire, again no escape or way around it to be found. Neither the players nor the characters were ever the same, the characters now knowing what "war is hell" truly meant, and the players realising how a simple diceroll could turn a Deus-Ex-Machina style victory into the greatest loss of the entire campaign, leaving us decimated and scarred.

what the fuck, why did my shitty phone autocorrect nurgle marines to noise marines? Too much slaaneshposting I guess

My local weeb just told me it's apparently from the new fairy tale (Is that how you spell it?) movie

My dwarf slayer got three degree burns in practically all his body when fighting beastmen. Also, lost a leg and went mad, but I saved him by spending 2 fate points and getting some awesome Healing rolls plus some magic that didn't made me explode. Still survived for some 4-5 sessions.

My character got captured and was tortured and mutilated. When they were done with him, he could barely talk and couldn't do much else. Still played him for a bit, though.

Got my hand blown up in Dark Heresy, trying to rescue an innocent woman from a deranged Mechanicus novice who thought himself fucking Cawl himself, and had started experimenting o a hive's population. Failed to save her, but still got the fucker.

Things I've done to my players? Nothing horrible enough to appear here, I'm afraid. Let's wait and see how our current campaign goes.

How exactly does ones hand get blown up? If a mechanicus novice has a weapon that can blow something up, shouldn't it do more damage than just your hand?

Can't remember what happened exactly. The Mechanicus wasn't armed with explosive weapons. I think to remember he did something to my flashlight and it went boom because of that.

Man, I was gonna post about the time I got the party's moralfag to use a mixture of lightning and a sandstorm to tear the flesh off and/or char boil a couple of enemy soldiers and a fuck-ton of civvies, but reading this I don't feel like I've gone hard enough.

What can I say, my players don't trust me to do body horror or torture without making it a magical realm.
They're right, but still.

Had a character in L5R wake up chained to a stone table. Tried to scream only to see blood spurt from his mouth and no noise to go with it. Some fucked up chiurgeon removed my character's vocal chords so he could witness a coming of a new dark age and be some sort of servant to Fu Leng.

I threw my party into a dilemma of either killing young mermaid/siren children or letting them go & becoming a threat later on (the grown up version is very powerful & dangerous in my homebrew universe).

They made a vote, where 2 wanted to kill them 1 didn't want to kill them and 2 withheld their vote.

After they slaughtered the kids, they immediately regretted it and one party member committed suicide with his character.

As a GM I had a fucking blast.

Old DH1 Ascension character:
>Arm cut off by ally to stop spreading corruption
>Bionic eye melted in the eyesocket by foul technosorcery, burning half of the face to the bone
>3 holes in chest from hellgun shots
>multiple burns and lesser wounds
>fought for 5 days without food, medical help or sleep on a Dark Mechanicum Forge in that condition
>after getting all survivors into safety and ending mission finally allowed himself to die

Current WFRP 2e character, young apprentice wizard girl (we randomly rolled everything, even sex, that's how I got this character).

In the beginning of the campagin she was an innocent and sweet girl, very nice, polite and beautiful. Now she is covered by lots of burns and scars, with the largest and latest one going over her eye. And mentally, she is a complete wreck. After losing everyone and everything she loved, surviving plague, fighting invading Skaven, witnessing and doing lots of horrible things she is now on the verge of going completely insane.
She hates Skaven with a burning passion, having personally killed and tortured lots of them. She believes that it's her sacred mission and destiny to get rid the world of the ratmen menace, and she is willing to turn even to dark magic for that - she simply didn't got the opportunity yet. And I could definitely see her turning to necromancy to get her own undead army and using it for fighting Skaven. She already believes she is forsaken by the Gods - a Shallyan priestess once tried to cure her insanity, and her goddess refused to help, saying she won't heal someone so hateful.
The only positive thing that still keeps her from going completely insane is her love and affection for another party member.

I had one of my players put down their soon to be comotose waifu with lethal injection. It was due to a dormant medical condition that they caused to flare up

Immortal pc trapped in plane of very sharp things

two guards tried to rape my character after a failed seduction roll, that was it

Bad Intel got a humanitarian convoy strafed, made worse because they only realized moments before the airstrike through binoculars that the trucks were carrying women and children.

>physical
liver eaten, Prometheus style - was kinda asking for it though
>mental
full sensory deprivation for couple decades

As player, worst my character has gone through...
Physically:
>Throwing up an entire skeleton
>Own skeleton turning 360 degrees while still inside body
>Becoming undead skeleton and ripping out of own still living body
>Chocked to death by a revenant
>All stats save for INT drained to minimum in an instant
>Right hand torn off by purple worm stinger, rest of the body gobbled up by same worm
>...and plenty more
Mentally:
>Get back together with family after 20 years of no contact, having studied magic away from family for safety reasons
>Happy reunion, rest of the party loves spending time with them too
>Two days later a notorious witch hunter kidnaps entire family and threatens to sacrifice their souls to eldritch gods unless character gives himself up
>Give self up to save family, get rused as expected and party has to save character and his family
>Sister gets killed right next to character by a Mage Eater pic related, but luckily enough her body was hale enough to be resurrected
Overall:
>Dying 13 times within 6 months
>Cursed by Myrkul for not staying dead, essentially with the hollowing from DS

Don't do wild magic, kids.

A regular WFRP2 campaign, then.

After reading , last few sessions in my Pathfinder campaign had my party (LN hombrew necromancer, CG druid, CN sorcerer and LG slayer) cleaning up a goblin lair that had been causing trouble to the local backwater town. After killing every goblin they could lay hands on, they found a secret tunnel leading to an underground refuge where they found the goblin king and their last 2 remaining warriors... plus all the women and children (about 30 of them).
Same dilemma. They ended up slaughtering them all where they stood. Slayer is a fanatical warrior from a god of war cult, necromancer is an insensitive asshole and the sorcerer is an selfish bastard. The only party member with a bad conscience about it is the druid.

The adventurer life, in general. Barely 18 and already killed a dozen people in brutal struggle for survival? Should be a pretty formative experience.

Not only does my character feel invincible, she also stopped caring about unfamiliar individuals in general.

It just does. There's plenty of examples of bomb makers blowing up their own hands.