/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Loyal Wives of Weinsberg Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6zhcv9i8cgea8w8/Osprey - MAA 310 - German Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf
mediafire.com/download/7iu6dy19kusz72e/Osprey - NVA 058 - Medieval Siege Weapons (1) Western Europe 585-1385.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ngwjh4o3li5qyw4/Osprey - MAA 164 - The Canadian Army at War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/iecjasxnzevd36r/Osprey - MAA 439 - The Canadian Corps In WWI.pdf
mediafire.com/download/x721yhqf4furfcd/Osprey - MAA 359 - Canadian Forces In WW2.pdf
hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2016/11/21/the-great-big-modern-wargaming-rules-comparison/
tankarchives.blogspot.com/2014/08/chrysler-visit-and-sherman-inspection.html
hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2017/12/22/great-big-modern-wargaming-rules-comparison-2-electric-boogaloo/
mega.nz/#!igEVGADL!_DGgV1UaxfVOsu8Pjw_P5eiupa0-KdTLfLlq77YQ5i4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)
Swordpoint

December the 21st in military history:

69 – The Roman Senate declares Vespasian as Roman emperor, the last in the Year of the Four Emperors.
1140 – Conrad III of Germany besieged Weinsberg.
1237 – The city of Ryazan is sacked by the Mongol army of Batu Khan.
1361 – The Battle of Linuesa is fought in the context of the Spanish Reconquista between the forces of the Emirate of Granada and the combined army of the Kingdom of Castile and of Jaén resulting in a Castilian victory.
1598 – Battle of Curalaba: The revolting Mapuche, led by cacique Pelentaru, inflict a major defeat on Spanish troops in southern Chile.
1826 – American settlers in Nacogdoches, Mexican Texas, declare their independence, starting the Fredonian Rebellion.
1832 – Egyptian–Ottoman War: Egyptian forces decisively defeat Ottoman troops at the Battle of Konya.
1883 – The Royal Canadian Dragoons and The Royal Canadian Regiment, the first Permanent Force cavalry and infantry regiments of the Canadian Army, are formed: .
1907 – The Chilean Army commits a massacre of at least 2,000 striking saltpeter miners in Iquique, Chile.
1936 – First flight of the Junkers Ju 88 multi-role combat aircraft.
1941 – World War II: A formal treaty of alliance between Thailand and Japan is signed in the presence of the Emerald Buddha in Wat Phra Kaew, Thailand.
1963 – The episode of intercommunal violence called "Bloody Christmas" begins in Cyprus, ultimately resulting in the displacement of 25,000-30,000 Turkish Cypriots and destruction of more than 100 villages.
1988 – A bomb explodes on board Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, killing 270.
2004 – Iraq War: A suicide bomber killed 22 at the forward operating base next to the main U.S. military airfield at Mosul, Iraq, the single deadliest suicide attack on American soldiers.

It is 877 years since the Siege of Weinsberg ended, bloodlessly. Fought within the then-Holy Roman Empire, it was a decisive battle between the House of Welf and the House of Hohenstaufen. During it the Welfs for the first time used 'Kyrie Eleison' for their party cries. The Hohenstaufens used the 'Strike for Gibbelins' war cry.

On the death of Lothar II in 1137, the Welf Henry the Proud, heir of the patrimony of his deceased father-in-law, and possessor of the crown jewels, stood boldly forward as a candidate for the imperial dignity. But the local princes, opposing him, elected the Hohenstaufen Conrad III in Frankfurt, on February 2, 1138. When Conrad gave the Duchy of Saxony to Count Albert the Bear, the Saxons rose in defence of their young prince, and Count Welf of Altorf, the brother of Henry the Proud, began the war.

Exasperated at the heroic defence of the Welfs, Conrad III had resolved to destroy Weinsberg and imprison its defenders. He however suspended the last assault, after negotiating a surrender which granted the women the right to leave with whatever they could carry on their shoulders. The women eschewed their possessions, and carried their husbands on their shoulders. When the king saw what was happening he laughed and accepted the women's clever trick, saying that a king should always stand by his word. This became known as the "Loyal Wives of Weinsberg" (Treue Weiber von Weinsberg) episode. The castle ruins are today known as Weibertreu ("Wifely Loyalty") in commemoration of the event.

mediafire.com/download/6zhcv9i8cgea8w8/Osprey - MAA 310 - German Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf
mediafire.com/download/7iu6dy19kusz72e/Osprey - NVA 058 - Medieval Siege Weapons (1) Western Europe 585-1385.pdf

Today is the 134th birthday of the Royal Canadian Regiment. The regiment consists of four battalions, three in the Regular Force and one in the Primary Reserve (militia). The RCR is the senior infantry regiment in the Regular Force, but its 4th Battalion (formerly the London and Oxford Fusiliers) is ranked 11th in the order of precedence among infantry regiments in the Primary Reserve.

The RCR was originally authorized as the Infantry School Corps on 21 December 1883, and established its first three company stations at Fredericton, New Brunswick; St Jean, Quebec; and Toronto, Ontario. In 1887 a fourth Company was authorized and the next year was established at London, Ontario. Now consisting of three Regular Force battalions and one Reserve Force battalion, the regiment's four battalions are now stationed in Ontario and New Brunswick. With many of its soldiers drawn from Ontario and the Atlantic Provinces in recent decades, the regiment maintains a general connection as the "local" infantry regiment for eastern Canada.

The RCR maintains a Regimental Headquarters in Petawawa, Ontario, which has no operational command role but handles regimental affairs outside the responsibility of the individual Battalions. The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum is located within historic Wolseley Hall in London, Ontario. Wolseley Barracks in London has been continuously occupied by some element of the regiment since construction of Wolseley Hall was completed in 1888. At various times Wolseley Barracks has been the home of the Regimental Headquarters, the 1st and 2nd Battalions, and remains the home of the 4th Battalion today.

mediafire.com/download/ngwjh4o3li5qyw4/Osprey - MAA 164 - The Canadian Army at War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/iecjasxnzevd36r/Osprey - MAA 439 - The Canadian Corps In WWI.pdf
mediafire.com/download/x721yhqf4furfcd/Osprey - MAA 359 - Canadian Forces In WW2.pdf

I'm glad you enjoyed the secret santa gift user. shipping was expensive but worth it.

I asked late into last thread but would love more input.

So I was going to get into either napoleonics, pike and shot, or ACW. Now I only really know of the warlord systems for those eras and time periods due mostly in part of being new to the hobby.

My question is would I be doing myself and possible other players a disservice be playing 28mm and using say the black powder or pike and shot rules? I really want a spectacle on the table when I get the minis and terrain on the table but I also want some depth to the game and rumor to maneuver as well. I play kings of war and the one thing I do dislike is the rank and file in regards of having no where to go outside of say straight at the enemy and maybe breaking a flank with cavalry and trying to sweep a side.

TL;DR: is 28mm doing this era a disservice and are warlords rules for them good? What rule system do you all prefer and at what scale?

I'll repeat what I wrote in the last thread:

A disservice? Not at all. You'll be limiting your gaming to "skirmish" level marches however.

As 's picture shows, 28mm takes up quite a bit of table space. After you deploy a "formed" pike&shotte unit, there's precious little room left for other units let alone maneuvering. A match becomes little more than lining up your stands, going straight at the other guy's line, and trusting your dice.

Don't get me wrong, skirmish level gaming is fun. One of the best games I've ever been part of covered the attack of French gendarmes on Imperial loose shot in the rough terrain of the hunting preserve at Pavia.

While skirmish level gaming is fun, it's not the only kind of fun. At 28mm, if you don't have a table the size of tennis court, you'll never be able to play out Cromwell's charge at Naseby or Adolphus' use of maneuver to beat Tilly at Breitenfeld.

28mm is fine. Just be aware, as with any scale you choose, 28mm will constrain what types of battles you can play.

28mm is fine for any era because any scale is fine or any era. All scale does is constrain what level your game is played at.

I'm a sucker for Grand Manner gaming, as practiced most notably these days by the Perrys
28mm was the standard for Napoleonics for years, most traditional rulesets up to Shako or thereabouts used it as a default (well, more 20-25mm really)
The whole thing is an abstraction so scale and so forth doesn't bother me; some people don't like the idea of 6 minis per regiment (for example) but that's the style I've always come to prefer
/hwg/ seems to lean heavily towards the 6mm/10mm side of the spectrum from what I've seen from the other answers to your questions
But I will always be a student of the Peter Gilder school

>would I be doing myself and possible other players a disservice be playing 28mm and using say the black powder or pike and shot rules? I really want a spectacle on the table when I get the minis and terrain on the table but I also want some depth to the game and rumor to maneuver as well.
I think you should only play at 28mm if you want to do smaller scale skirmishes with a few men a side.
For larger scales I would go for 1/72 - plus the miniatures are much cheaper and with much wider variety.

For Napoleonic rulesets, Shako is excellent, simple and effective with some nice orders dynamics. Blucher looks pretty good and has some nice fog of war rules, but I haven't personally played it. I've read through the Black Powder rules a few times and it seems ok, probably fine for beginners.

For ACW longstreet looks pretty dang good

For Pike and Shot you could look at Ga Pa, Father Tilly and Victory without quarter.

Thanks anons I really appreciate all the help.

So I really want to go for the grand battle aspect of things allowing for elbow room in regards to moving about. Think about just narrowing it down to Napoleonics or Pike and Shot however for the hobby side of things and in regard to eye popping factor on the table. I'm gonna say something ignorant but the ACW just seems like blues vs greys.

So far I think 10-15mm seems good or is that 1/72?

Also for rules I have shako, blucher, Ga Pa, Father Tilly, and Victory without Quarter.

1/72 is 25mm iirc
It's what I'm using atm but I'm thinking of changing to 6mm when I finish painting all the ones I have left

15mm is decent, but you will mostly need to get metal miniatures. 1/72 (20mm) is excellent in that you can get a very wide range of plastic miniatures for many factions. You can also get metal 20mm minis, so the range is even larger for 1/72.

The size difference between 15mm and 20mm isn't that big so if you're happy with 15mm, there's no reason not to go for 20mm instead purely for price and range. Plus they're slightly easier to pain, the details being a bit larger. 1/72 minis look great on the table.

I ordered some IM minis. How do I not die of lead poisoning? I know about filing in a ventillated area and not breathing in the dust but what else should I pay attention to?

>The size difference between 15mm and 20mm isn't that big so if you're happy with 15mm, there's no reason not to go for 20mm
They are quite a bit bigger, just because someone likes 15mm doesn't mean 20mm works for them. That's a bit like saying if you like 6mm you should get 10mm because it's only a bit different.

Also larger figures are HARDER to paint, for exactly the reasons you give - no one can see sloppy paintwork on a 6mm figure, but a 28mm figure is easy to give a shit paintjob to.

> Well I was gonna kill y'all but fuck that was pretty funny

Oh the middle ages, so wacky.

What really bugs me about the pike&shot era games is so few people actually model their shot as deep in formation as their pike, where appropriate.

Louisburg user, did you get your stuff?

I work on a damp paper towel so any filings and cuttings stick to it and throw it away when I'm done working. Wash your hands and don't eat or put your fingers or tools in your mouth and you'll be fine

Thank you, will do

SAGA?
or
SWORDPOINT?

hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2016/11/21/the-great-big-modern-wargaming-rules-comparison/

very interesting read

>No 'No End in Sight'
Disappointing.

What I find interesting is how all the 'shiny' releases that actually get fancy books that go on shelves somewhere of late for moderns are all tiny, single squad at the largest sized skirmish games, with only Force on Force really daring to do a platoon+ per side at times.

I have a theory on this; it's not just because several of these games are simply following the trend of what works for kickstarter'd games, it's because of the tiny but asymmetric balance aspect. It's a lot easier to balance out a goons vs. heroes kind of game when you don't have to include a lot of the support elements that define modern warfare. The huge lethality issue can be sidestepped somewhat by focusing on such small, dispersed groups that it won't matter to ignore that someone could potentially launch a single 40mm grenade and take out an entire, poorly dispersed team, because there's too few figures on the board to bother clumping up.
And it sidesteps a lot of the biggest issue of trying to game something far more symmetric and larger: the incredible complexity and unknowns of what could happen when two similarly up-to-date conventional forces meet. To try and cover the theoreticals of something like a modern German mechanised infantry platoon facing off against their French equivalent, in any reasonably accurate way, is too much for the typical wargamer just out for a an easy fun game where they throw their army down and go at it for a couple of hours to deal with no matter how simple the rules.

It's bad enough having to get people to deal with the possibles of basic suppressing fire, movement and dispersal for anything set before squad-level grenade launchers became common, let alone now with adding in drones or widespread use of thermal optics negating the ability to hide in a lot of places and so on. And it puts a lot more complexity on the table in the need for having far more terrain available than a typical game sees.

Just finished painting a Stoessi's heroes model of Dick Winters. I'¨m not pleased with the uniform colour, but it was a bit of a rush job as it's going to be a Christmas present for a friend of mine that plays US Airborne.

paint job is nice, but sculpt make him look like a midget. is that even 28mm?

Yep. Here he is compared to a Warlord brit.

Totally agreed and it's the biggest turnoff

That board kek

It's taken me this long to realise there's 2 entirely different scales of miniature in that game.

You should check the site tomorrow for something on No End In Sight

Charge

Aye, from the thumbnail I thought that was a hobbit

Naw, it's just perspective. It's like leaning back in a photo to make your dick look bigger since it's closer to the camera.

It really isn't, there are infantry further away that the figures in the centre that are larger than them.

Look again please.

One thing to keep in mind with scale is the relative size footprint of a building or unit.

Lets say a unit of 28mm (1/56 scale) forms a square 15cm on a side; the footprint is 225 cm^2. The same unit in 1/72 is 11.6cm on a side or occupies ~134 cm^2. It's 77% of the size of the 28mm figures in linear dimension but only occupies 60% of the area. 15mm scale (1/100) is 56% of the size of 28mm figures but only occupies 71 cm^2.

Moving to smaller size figures leaves you with significantly more room to move around so you don't end up with the Warhammer style games were your option is to basically just move forwards. You use a ruleset designed for 28mm and can keep all the rules the same to get a slightly better match between figure and ground scale or you could use centimeters instead of inches or halve distances etc.

Whatever scale you go with, I would reccomend making buildings a size down from the figures unless its a skirmish game where you actually places figures inside. 15mm buildings with 20mm figures still look OK but you get that extra bit of playable surface.

I hope all that made sense

> Now you see, Douglos. These Phalangites are small, but the ones over there are *far away*

I did. Look at the centre group of figures. They're clearly smaller than the unit behind them to the right. Like 20mm figures next to 28mm figures. Looking at the bases they might even be large 15mm figures.

Shifting my writer's block with a narrative campaign system for Five Men in Normandy.

Any connection to the book of the same name by every wehraboo's favorite plagiarist traitor, Sven Hassel?

Never really liked the look of spear/pike-spam games but that looks pretty cool

so... what is the best scale to be playing blackpowder it? As in one model represents how many men?

Blackpower the rulesset or are you talking about the time period from 1500s -1800s ?

the rule set. the rules are kind of vague or 'flexible' so i am a little confused about things. I am trying to match the box of men i got with the correct bases. But no matter how i configure it, i either have too many bases and not enough men, or too many men and not enough bases. I have no idea what each base is meant to represent.

Sorry

was meant for

The game is so abstract I don't think it even could have a 'best'.

If it's just about bases, and you're using 28mm figures, just make sure each miniature has about a 20mm square of base. Personally I'd base them 6 figures to a 60mm x 40mm base. One base for a tiny unit, 2 for small, 3 for normal and so on. That'll give something that looks reasonable and is less unwieldy than their 'normal'.

It isn't like you can even model something looks like a pike and shot formation in 28mm.

Kinda interesting report by Soviet engineers on a visit to thw Chrystler tank factory in 1942
tankarchives.blogspot.com/2014/08/chrysler-visit-and-sherman-inspection.html

The Soviets apparently werent impressed with US tank proving grounds

>There are no muddy, destroyed sections of the road. There are no swamps or trenches. There are no vertical obstacles. When we noted that the proving grounds were insufficient, the factory representatives told us that the tanks were tested at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Maryland), where there are allegedly all sorts of obstacles.

>Note: Engineer Sorvin went to the Aberdeen grounds in early August to observe trials of an M4A2 medium tank, and concluded that their proving grounds have nearly identical obstacles as this these proving grounds.

PayPal completely blocked my card, I’ll give someone some bitcoin for the lardies Christmas special that just came out

Saga

Do 20mm games play differently from 28mm games?

Gift received, fellow user! Thanks for the card.

About the models, ehrm.... dangers of overthinking, I presume. I wanted to start a new skirmish project out of randomness and now I'm still at step one, with a bunch of command models that do not fit together and not the foggiest idea of what to do with them. Sure, I could start a new BA German army, but everyone and their dog plays Germans.

What's played here, bar Warhammer? Bolt Action, some limited Flames of War, FoG (even if it lost quite a bit of popularity), Impetus was big years ago, SAGA, and weirdly enough Lion Rampant. Napolenics are supposedly popular, but I've played them twice in fifteen years, both with an arcane ruleset (Et Sans Resultat!) Personally I have WW2 Soviets, Cold War DDR and Byzantines.

Thanks anyway, maybe I'll get some late middle age stuff.

There are a very wide variety of games for 20mm, and a very wide variety of games for 28mm. Some games could be played with either.

28mm generally suits skirmish better, but skirmish is also played at 20mm.
20mm generally suits larger battles, but some people play large battles with 28mm.

There's too much variety to generalize about systems with regards to miniature scales

Yes. Instead of dice they use interdimensional entities to decide the fate of a given soldier.

Glad you liked part 1!

Speaking of comparisons, Part 2 has just been released. It covers 5 more rulesets using the same categories as Part 1

hntdaab.co.uk/blog/2017/12/22/great-big-modern-wargaming-rules-comparison-2-electric-boogaloo/

Thanks.

Nice to see Winter of '79 there, I always thought that was a cool concept

Thing was, 20mm is so cheap but I don't know any rule sets for it. Everything seems to be aimed at either 28mm or 10/6mm.

Cheers Czech user!

Does anyone know a good game for modern stuff at 6mm? I want to do a "today gone hot" campaign, if that makes sense.

A Fistful of TOWs
mega.nz/#!igEVGADL!_DGgV1UaxfVOsu8Pjw_P5eiupa0-KdTLfLlq77YQ5i4

Fistful of TOWs. Cold War Commander. Fivecore Brigade Commander.

What you can play with 28mm, you can play with 20mm.

How to people feel about Lion Rampant and it's derivatives?

Requesting "The Face of Battle" and "Armor Heavy Team". Thanks in advance.

Go on...

>MiG-29 enters the game
>Radar Immediately fails, avionics shut down

Sucks to be a Serb

Are the Game Police going to raid your house if you play Bolt Action with 20mm figures?

Italian Wars of Unification?
muh dik
Is that era [not including ACW] popular?

>In the immediate aftermath of the nationalization of Anglo-Iranian, and facing such a wily and untrustworthy opponent, the British hurriedly reviewed their options. There was strong feeling that something had to be done to save the country’s most valuable foreign asset, and its number-one source of petroleum. But what to do? The Cabinet gave consideration to Plan Y, a contingency proposal for military intervention. The inland oil fields were too remote to be easily secured, the Cabinet concluded, but the island of Abadan, site of the world’s largest refinery, was quite another thing; it made a much more reasonable target. With the advantage of surprise, Abadan could be taken. Perhaps a quick, strong show of force would be enough to restore a sufficient measure of respect and transform the situation.
>But perhaps not. British lives would certainly be lost. Hostages would be taken. The United States government was pressing hard against armed intervention, for fear that such a British action in the south would legitimize a Russian move in the north and that Iran would end up behind the Iron Curtain. There were other obstacles to military action. India had just become independent, and there was no longer an Indian Army upon which to call. Britain could expect to be castigated all over the world for old-fashioned imperialism. Britain’s own might was sharply circumscribed; because of its grave balance-of-payments difficulties, it did not have staying power. How could it pay for an extended military involvement?

Yes.

>Yet, were Britain to cave in here, some argued in the Cabinet, its whole position in the Middle East would be undermined. “If Persia were allowed to get away with it, Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries would be encouraged to think they could try things on,” declared Defense Minister Emmanuel Shin-well. “The next thing might be an attempt to nationalize the Suez Canal.” ... Parachutists were moved into place in Cyprus in order to be able to protect, and if necessary, evacuate the large number of British workers and families in Abadan. Nevertheless, it looked to some as if Britain might be tempted to implement Plan Y and undertake a military test of its waning imperial power.

Do ya think this could make for an nteresting campaign? Churchill gets his way and the paras are sent in to seize the refininery. In the ensuring chaos perhaps the USSR sends some IS-3s over the northern border, purely in order to quell bandits and provide stability of course

They're on their way already.

Is this out yet?

why such non-matching camo? looks like everyone was naked together and didn't just grabbed the first clothes to hand when the camp got attacked...

Because thats how russian special forces usually looked in the late 90s/early 2000s.
They basically bought their own stuff, often going for the rule of cool instead of uniformity.

The only thing missing is the obligatory not-adidas sneakers

What minis are that? Elhiem?

So I've recently got into 10mm Crusader / Medieval stuff and have about 100 tiny spearmen to paint. How do you guys get the motivation to do it at this small?

At least with 28mm you can normally get a decent amount of detail on each model!

You'll find them much faster to paint, probably.

Under Fire Miniatures

They look really good when based.

>10mm
>small
>laughing_vikings.jpg

I painted over 1400 10mm figures about 3 years back, and documented pretty much the whole thing in hwg.

100 is nothing.

Do you still have images? I don't believe I've seen your stuff.

Of course, 1/3

2/3

3/3

yes, because your table is big enough for some manoeuvre in 20mm. In 28mm it's only big enough for a skirmish or 2 forces that line up and square off.

Nope, I'm up to the Bosnian/Yugoslav war research.
Still to go:
Eritrea / Ethiopia
Angola Border war
Campaign / Solo / Merc Air Campaign rules

Still at least 2 months left to go (I've been working on it for 7 months so far...).
The mechanics and terminology in the rules are getting tighter all the time though, so by the time release comes it will be solid af

I think the Africa@War book series might have a book on Angloan air operations if you need sources