/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General: Elf Lord edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
Tell me about that elf character of yours.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1uX6ULDZ
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJim7wKzz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alright, lads, I'm making a forgotten temple dungeon. Here are the rooms.

Dining hall - probably animated crockery encounter
Hall of heroes - statues will come to life
Library - living spells, optional encounters about summoning demons and defeating them
Monks' cells - probably ghosts of the cultists
Training grounds - again, probably ghosts of the cultists
Armory - animated armor, animated weapons
Smithy - a fire elemental will crawl out of the forge
Temple room - corpses of suicided cultists will come to life
Prison - vengeful spirits of the prisoners?

So my problem is, there are three rooms (cells, the prison and the training grounds) where I'll have to use spirits, and two locations (armory and dining hall) where I'll use animated objects. I think the repeated encounters will bore the players. What kinds of more interesting encounters can I insert into those spooky, ghost-possessed places?

Some one posted pic related in the last thread and I thought it be cool character art for a rogue mastermind/ glamour bard. Anyone ever play a rogue/bard multiclass? Was it fun?

I want to remove battlemasters and sorcerers and allow all classes to pick a move / gain a point/die every level. My players feel like levelling is too boring in 5e and the martials want more options in combat.

Am I messing anything up? Are there spells that only sorcerers have access to?
Also, do you have any idea for new moves / metamagic options? I already want to add a charge move.

There's an immortal prisoner in one of the cells.
The prison is teeming with bats or bat like creatures. (that drink the immortal man's blood).
The spirits in the training grounds are still training, if their training is interrupted they attack, if the players just wait for a chance to pass they will be able to do so. (Maybe they gain inspiration because they learn a move or two by spectating).

There's rust monsters in the armory and animated enemies in the dining room. OR there's spirits in the dining hall (which was the site of a massacre) and animated enemies in the armory.

>>tell me about that elf character of yours

His big mouth got us into trouble.

>party is currently acting as a hired military of good
>get sent by a friar to find a necklace in a dragon's lair
>we know it's old but don't know if it's metallic or chromatic
>get to the entrance of the cave
>no kobold guards or anything
>ranger who hunts dragons makes note of this
>get deeper into cave
>no bodies or skeletal remains
>place is really clean
>get to main chamber and see dragon
>thankfully it is metallic, copper to be exact
>dragon greets us, says he doesn't get many visitors and asks our business
>say we want the necklace, ask if he'll part with it
>dragon is unsure
>dragon asks if he can tell us a story, then he will give us the necklace
>ranger remembers that Copper dragons tend to be pranksters and tricky
>before he speaks up the elf loudly says ''sure!''
>dragon picks us up and buries our bodies in the sand with our heads sticking out
>can't move(DM said later it was like a 25 acrobatics check)
>Dragon pulls out huge fucking book on dragon history
>Dragon :''Chapter 1 of 204: Why do Dragons have wings?''

How would you have a warlock patron punish/exert consequences upon a coffelock's abuse of their pact?

I get allowing other classes to use BM moves; disarming and tripping shouldn't be class dependent skills. I don't get what the point in getting rid of Sorcs would be. They're already underpowered as fuck, but giving their mechanics to anyone seems weird.

Depends on the patron.

1 level of exhaustion :^)

I had to figure out some kind of option that casters would be interested in each level.

>Tell me about that elf character of yours.

When I played like two sessions of a 3.5 homebrew I had a half-elf monk. That's as far as I've gone towards having an elf character.

That still makes no sense.

If they are underpowered, and I'm not saying that they are, then removing them and giving pretty much 100% of the reason that you would even pick it in the first place seems like the perfect solution.

by sending Fey/Celestials/Fiends/Undead after him
or stabbing him himself (Hexblade)
or by awakening (GOO)

If I give all players the option of picking a combat maneuver or a superiority die each level (at level 1 they gain both), everyone who picked a caster will probably feel cheated.

giving other classes 100% of the reason*

Does anyone else listen to dragon talk?

Necromancy wizard or Death domain cleric?

What's the difference between a warlock abusing their pact, and a coffeelock abusing their pact?

Grave domain cleric

Casters have plenty of utility, sorcs aside. Removing BM and making that mechanic available to martials doesn't require a balance on the caster side.

>inb4 caster v. martial memery
No, faggots, combat maneuvers, called shots, trips, disarms, and the like, have been a thing since 2E. Giving them back to martials and rogues is perfectly fine.

They are underpowered and I suppose that getting rid of them is one fix. I just don't get why you wouldn't fix them rather than remove them.

Anyone here played as any of the races from Volo's Guide? If so, how'd it turn out and which was your favorite? I'm getting tired of playing as the PHB and EE races.

Coffeelock makes DM's blood boil.

One pisses off the DM more.

I feel like that would be kinda awkward for half-casters or casters who also fancy themselves as soldiers.

About 14+ spell slots per night

Warlocks abusing their pact can make sense narrative wise. Coffeelock is bag of rats tier nonsensical garbage that makes no narrative sense that exists purely by fucking with RAW and RAI.

As a DM my favorite race is the genasi, there's so much you can do with them based on their choice of element alone.

The scale of abuse, I assume. Really, though, any Warlock could take multiple short rests per day and it would have the same impact on the patron. Overall it's just concentrating the quantity, but not quality, of power of 3 or 4 warlocks into 1 person, which wouldn't be all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Outside of meta reasons, a patron deciding to punish a coffeelock would likely have to be for the principle of the matter rather than the scale of wrongdoing.

Wizard is more fun to play so wizard. Don't think cleric gets finger of death. Consider 5-6wiz/sorc x if you don't care about create undead or the xanathar spells which are really fun. Twin finger of death.

Because the fix would according to most players just kinda make them into wizards with sorc points anyway. The system he suggested would let any caster get sorc points by spending skill points thus making sorc redundant. Let players pick wizard with the random meme subclass if they really want to keep that part. I do.

Then probably the DM should mention it, rather than passive-aggressive "I'm not punishing you, your patron is!" bullshit.

Go hobgoblin

Half casters and casters have spent their time learning other shit. If they wanted to get the most out of their martial prowess they would have spent their time focusing on that rather than learning magic.

Wizard is better for a skeleton army.
But that would just piss everyone off, so stop.

It just comes across as an excuse to buff wizards, desu senpai

Are there any classes or archetypes that split martial and caster exactly 50/50? I know most combinations are more along the lines of 75/25 or 66/33.

Oh yeah definitely

No. Which is the only valid complaint gishfags have.

He was a moon druid with a tendency toward acting as a mediator between nature and villages to find a comprmoose for both instead of being all MY TREES REEE GET OUT REEEEEE

And clerics and druids and all other casters. Even non casters with the right race/feat can get buffed by it. Besides all martial classes will get buffed by the battlemaster dice.

I get the need to buff martials. Honestly, it isn't really even a buff. It's just letting them do really simple shit they've always been able to do. I still don't understand the need to give all casters metamagic for free. Even if it's a skill, that essentially makes it so low cost that it's a freebie.

I guess I could see metamagic as a feat in the way martial adept is a feat, but even then I'm not understanding the need to buff casters across the board.

Strategy is its own magic

I'm playing a mastermind/whispers at the moment and it's thematically great, pretty mechanically alright in battle, and ridiculous for skills

Surely there's a combination of race, class, archetype, and feats that could create a 50/50 martial caster.

Man, the new warforged stats are...
Really uninteresting.

>38€ for a pund o dice
should I go for it?
I'm tired of rolling 5 consecutive times whenever the wizard casts a spell

I wouldn't, sounds like the kind of dedication any patron would want

Depends. How much is that in America monies?

You can get some better dice on amazon, quality over quantity my dude

So I could use some advice on a few concerns for this Gish subclass.

>Is it okay that Arcane Warrior gives this many free spells at those levels? I tried to find a better balance than what WotC did with the UA Storm Sorcerer by only giving them one spell, but I'm not sure if that was enough.
>Which Arcane Strike do you think works best?
>Do you have better ways to word the effect of Arcane Channeling?
>Do you think this subclass outclasses Hexblades and Eldritch Knights?
>Do you think they need more armor proficiencies (Medium & Shields) or a +1 to hit points per Sorcerer level buff?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

around 50 moneybucks

>Gish subclass

They make great EKs

about 45$

true that, I just found a much better deal in seconds

Anyone have a download for the ebonclad pdf?

It's not a "need" it's just fun. Besides martials can out damage casters in long dungeon crawls for sure.
Check out aliexpress. 20$ for 42 dice.
How did you determine the quality?

Bardic inspiration plus help seems like it would be pretty cool

>for a pund of dice
£1
So about $5

I forgot the most important concern!

>Do you think the Bounded Weapon should be melee only?

new warforged?

???

>aliexpress
checking their web atm, looks good

It's pretty bananas yeah, and a sneak attack or spell and a long range help action every turn really makes you feel like you're playing an important part

As in "for this new edition".
They were more interesting in previus editions

I know there are a lot of them but some people are not okay with the EK's heavier martial focus. Its good, and multiclassing with Wizard can make it better in terms of spellcasting, at the expense of Improved War magic and your really slow caster progression.

So I thought, what about a weapon focused Sorcerer? They have one for Wizards why not try Sorcerer, a class that a lot of people use when making those Gishes? You could put it all in one and possibly make the one Gish subclass/class that everyone keeps clamoring for (Magus/Duskblade/Spell Sword).

They're from before 5e's official release, they're not even in line with the current design philosophy.

Look into this homebrew if you want.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1uX6ULDZ

PDF looks kinda weird. There is the original link.

In my opinion less is more. Especially when it comes to scary or tension building campaigns. You shouldn't have an encounter in every room.

I like having a humanoid creature with a living shadow in place of a real shadow. Especially when they think it's an easy encounter until they get close enough for the shadows to start draining strength.

Tripping on disarming can be done by every type of character in 5e. Only the battle master can do damage while tripping or disarming though.

All the manuvers you just described can be done by every class. A battle master just does them better.

Personally I'd say yes since technically paladins can't ranged smite either.

That's what I was thinking too alongside the fact that technically Pact of the Blade Warlocks can't do it either (Without a magic bow or Invocation). Even the Bladesingers can't. So to go along with everything else and to give the Ranged Eldritch Knights and Arcane Archers their space I'll make it melee weapons only.

I completely ripped these off the Pugilist 2 pdf, all I did was crush them down to one page because I'm a paperfag.

Ew, no. Amazon has big old bags for $30. No idea how much shipping across the pond costs, tho

So one of my players wants to play a Lore Master but while I do like the concept, there's no way in hell I'm letting him play what's in the UA. I found this rebalance I really liked and made a couple changes of my own. What do you people think? How balanced is it?
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJim7wKzz

It could use some further changes. The 'expertise in all proficient intellect skills' should instead be 'expertise in two intellect skills, or proficiency if not proficient'
It's not clear if the save changes the proficiency as well, as it only mentions ability score, so it might lead to wisdom save (int). However, the fact you can no longer change the save on the fly while balancing it also loses the whole point and magic to all of this, and you'd just prepare wisdom saves as int saves all the time and that sort of shit.
Level 6 just seems to make lore wizard even worse in the realm of 'it's basically just trying to cuck the sorcerer as hard as possible'.
Level 10 seems appropriate enough.

I don't understand how the level 6 thing has the list and spellbook mnemonics being any different, it just seems overly wordy.

I'd say it's playable, but I don't get why you have a player playing this anyway.
Either they're inexperienced and want to be a fucking meme instead of actually reading the PHB and picking from the many already existing options which are more fun and flavourful than the UA anyway, or they are experienced and they want to become a powergaming meme.
They should only be using loremaster (with this fix) on the grounds that they wanted a wizard with good int skill checks.

>Be a martial
>Forced to deal with Shia on his own terms, fighting him to the death with only your wits and your trusty weapon of choice

>Be a Wizard
>Cast Levitate
>Spam Fire Meme

Which do you prefer, /5eg/?

user who recommended the homebrewery- that thing is tits. Need to work on the formatting code and then I'll post.

C. I leave the game

>homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJim7wKzz

>Lore Mastery
Fine

>Spell Secrets
Okay so the wording on this is fuzzy, I think I know what they are going for though. The way this seems to work is that when you prepare your spells you change the ones you want to and the effects only last for that casting? If I have that right? Its worded strangely, but its better than the UA one due to the ability score restrictions.

>Malleable Magic
Not sure how useful this is, also the wording once again could use some touching up. Expending higher leveled spell slots for lowered level ones seems fine in theory, but you can't make spell slots like sorcerers can so its kinda meh in some cases.

>Arcane Mnemonics
Whooo boy! That's a confusing one, I don't understand the need of a secondary list or the spell slot cost? Why not just say

>Once per long rest as a bonus action you can exchange one of your prepared wizard spells with another wizard spell of equal spell level from your spellbook.

>Master of Magic
This is fine, due to the nerf of the changing saves feature only working on the singular save. Plus it's only on one spell. Wording gives me a headache though.

Any adventure module on Abeir?

He Will Not Divide The Party!

Monk or Pugilist because I know jiu-jitsu.

But user, your leg! It's caught in a bear trap!

Rolled 9 + 9 (1d20 + 9)

I don't need the leg! I'll snap his neck!

sorry bought some citadel paint and left the game store.

>Grapple check successful
STRANGLING SUPERSTAR SHIA LABEUF

Why not join the game user?
Yesterday you said tomorrow!

Is that pugilist wearing modern glasses?

Rolled 9 + 5 (1d10 + 5)

Neck-snapping time!

Don't judge me! I need those to snap bones!

Self inserts and all that

It is the ultimate defense. You cannot hit a girl with glasses!

What's the most >fun race/class to play as?

Bard.

Variant Human Pugilist.

Half-Elf Swashbuckler/Battle Master or a Bard

What was so broken about UA Samurai that they had to nerf it? Gods forbid a martial class be able to keep pace with Bearbarian.

>Tomorrow will never be today
I remember a paladin I played going on a rant about such things.