/tgesg/ - Elder Scrolls General

"Fuck Cliffracers" Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[TES 5E Conversion] uestrpg.wixsite.com/home

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos, except for Saint Jiub the Eradicator, Scourge of the Winged Rats and bane of the Cliff Racers.
Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Sage
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Final_Lesson
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Feyfolken
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Yokuda shall rise again!

Like literally rising out of the water? Sounds neat.

I'm sure the Redguards will find some way to sword slash it out of the water.

So, mechanics aside, if you wana be a good mage in an Elder Scrolls setting, is there any reason to play anything besides an Altmer or a Dunmer?

Like, I know in the games Bretons are always a good choice, but lore-wise the Altmer and Dunmer seem to make the magic of all the other races look like crude troglodytes banging rocks together. Am I wrong? I'm kinda new here.

{spoiler]I ask because I've been invited to a cancerous rules-lite/semi-freeform Elder Scrolls game and I wana not get shat on if I pick a race besides the top-tier elves.

Lore wise, Bretons are sorcerers with innate senses of magicka, that can easily navigate the roiling and mercurial forces of magicka. They are mechanically suited towards this, and even synchronize amazingly with the Atronach sign, which was originally just a trait of being a sorcerer.

They are also the best Conjurers, and very

So basically, if you want to play a hedgemage, witch, or spellsword they are the way to go. If you want to play a mage, they're better than Dunmer.

As for other races, Argonians in the female life stage (They switch a few times) are markedly better spell casters than most, and Argonian Shamans are not unheard of.

Accidentally a few words there.

Lorewise, they are known for their social role of mages. People who have natural talent are found presumably through divination and join the Mages Guild at a young age.

Yeah, OK, but the Dunmer have House Telvani mushroom towers and levitating temples, and the Altmer have a magic teleporting island, and both races live centuries. Compared to that, being able to summon some atronachs seems pretty lame.

>I wana not get shat on if I pick a race besides the top-tier elves.

Fuck 'em, you know what to do. Strike fear into the hearts of Elves.

What are some good books to read in Morrowind? Already went through biography of Barenziah and bought all five volumes of The Real Barenziah, and wanna try tracking down all the copies of The Wolf Queen and Blood, what else should I look for.
Also, fuck all you weenies who said pure magic without a weapon skill doesn't work, just stock potions and rest until healed, brotherhood assassins are easy loot.

How much I want to agree, given how Mary Sue they seem... but at the same time the fact still remains that lore-wise it almost feels silly to think that's possible on any individual level. They seem to be on such a higher tier than the only way humans ever compare is by outnumbering them a ton, and I hate it.

>given how Mary Sue they seem
Their society is so fucking ridged and obsessed with image that children get viciously beaten for so much as touching the wrong fork first at training dinners.

>given how Mary Sue they seem
They are just standard high elves turned to the max. Just because they are magically apt doesn't make them mary sue, as long as they aren't super duper awesome at anything else as well. Keep in mind you posted that while replying to a magical laser beams shooting gay robot from the future. He has no right to call anyone this buzzword at all.

Sure, Bretons might not have teleporting islands and soul-powered homes, but they're not just summoners. Do remember that the Reachmen are Bretons by blood, and they've done some pretty wild shit. I don't know any Elves who would go full Temple of Doom on themselves then fill the void with a plant to gain power.
Also, reminder that of the three most famous Mages in history, one is a Nord. Humans can magic just as well as an elf.

Telvanni is best house, this is a fact filthy n'wahs

Mah dunmer

Absolutely correct

THAT DOESNT EVEN RHYME

So why did they change orcs from the multiple pig titted monsters in Morrowind to their more human looking forms today?

Also aren't high elves almost universally depicted as frail and weak to magic?

That's not too Mary-Sueish, they're weak to their own strength. Like Dragon type Pokemon.

too weird and armor wouldn't make sense. would female orcs have six big tits?

If your plan is to play as the lordly enigmatic living in a tower old-school wizardy type then Elf is probably the way to go.

Otherwise playing as a human is fine, all the real legendary mages are humans.

House Telvanni is the best house.
Telvanni Bretronach is the only true way of playing Morrowind.

Do orcs ever use their berserker rage during sex?

>Drain Agility 100pts for 60sec on Self

>Fortify Attack 100pts for 60sec on Self

Touche.

It doesn't have a Blind effect so I don't see how it would help.

With their faces and personality, chasing someone down and overpowering them might be the ONLY way they can have sex.

Even for female orcs?

>playing without the tribunal assassin fix
But in regards to books, the obvious one is to collect and read all the 36 Lessons. I love the way they are spread out across the world like little messages left for the Nerevarine to find and ponder.
Though honestly most of the books are good, you can't really miss in picking, it really just depends on what kind of book your looking for.

I tend to be a more lore oriented guy so I tend to prefer those kind of books. The best of which tend to be those that provide a lot of information while still coming off as a real piece of the world (some of the books (generally those written by Kirkbride) have a tendency to read like they could just be devnotes). Along those lines I'd say my favorites would be.

The Dragon-Break Re-examined.
Frontier, Conquest, and Accommodations
The Eastern Provinces
The Five Songs of King Wulfharth
Where were you when the Dragon Broke?
Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi
On Morrowind
Sithis
Ruins of Kemel-Ze

>Otherwise playing as a human is fine, all the real legendary mages are humans.

mannimarco? galerion? sotha sil?

Female Orcs in Morrowind have 25 starting Personality.
This isn't just the lowest personality score, this is the absolute lowest value for a starting attribute.

>female orcs are autistic
Wew lad

>He doesn't know that Orcs are autistic.
>Ugly pariahs that have low personality and their racial bonus is to sperg out.
Keep up, Casu-El

How long do argonians generally live for?

No the "wew" was because the idea of a socially awkward tomboy orc that forces herself on the guy she likes gets me excited.

Yeah, I'm trying to get more into the lore so I'm sticking more to those kinds of books, thanks user.
and why would I want to fix that shit? A couple fire bites to the face and I can sell a whole brotherhood set (plus I'm trying to keep it as vanilla as possible, only gameplay changing mod I have is swift casting from the unofficial patch.)

Beast races live as long as Humans.

Is taunting someone into attacking you the only way to get a dust adept helmet? I don't even care about the low enchantment value, shit looks great.

It breaks both the economy and the already crappy light armor progression. DB attack delay mods have lomg been considered essential.
I believe I've seen one somewhere in the Red Mountain Dwemer strongholds.

>dust adept helmet
My N'wah.
Nah, I've found one in a dungeon before. Even then, nothing wrong with the enchanted one.

Autistic house.

Hlaalu is the most fun to play as in tabletop.

>Autistic house.
Most relatable

Thanks user

I'm sorry, man.

Sounds rough.

Shouldn't you be watching your wife get fucked by an Imperial right now?

Can someone explain this picture to me? In the Morrowind art book they say it's a Telvanni wizard, but what the actual fuck? Is there a person somewhere in there? Did they deform themselves with magic? Is it some non-humanoid race?

We talked about it in the previous thread - apparently some Telvanni indeed twist themselves to fit into these ancestral armors, breaking bones and all.
That's second hand info though.

I figured he was just floating around in a really bulky suit
There was a lot of really cool shit in the artbook they couldn't get into the game because of engine limitations, just imagine what Morrowind would look like if it was made with today's technology.

I imagine something like this.

Ah sorry, this is my first lore thread. I've been playing Elder Scrolls games since Oblivion and slowly got deeper into the lore over time, but I somehow missed these threads for years. I swear I've never even heard them mentioned in /tesg/.

Yeah I noticed that as I was flipping through it. I always hear people complain about how all the Khajiit will never happen, but there seems to be a lot more than just them.

That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if the alien face was the wizard or the mask, though.

>tfw no ash magic

>Going to /tesg/ presumable to discuss the games
You poor fucking soul

Eh, I like /tesg/ mostly for seeing other people's characters, I never expected great discussion. I haven't been on in a couple years, doesn't look like it's changed much.

Lately I'm getting interested in the stuff beyond in-game books, so I also never realized some of the writers/creators post on the official forums like all the extra Kirkbride stuff. Lots to catch up on.

So people a couple threads ago were talking about Cyrodiil as a jungle and one user made a good point.

That jungles don't stick around when you have a lot of civilization around in the area. On that note, does anyone know where to find good info about Southeast Asia or colonies in places like Brazil for info on how a jungle civilization develops?

Asking for a game I want to get to running.

>Skyrim 2's (since just calling it TES6: Skyrim would be confusing) lore basically involves a nord achieving CHIM and getting rid of everything fantasy like in the games, elves, beast races, magic, and monsters all disappear from history and the game is basically just a collection of zero control cut scenes stringing you along between killing wolves and bandits.

So is this basically what Orc Male X Non-Orc Female relationships are?

Tempting but far seeing almond

>57051274

you whore piece of shit

delete this

In an effort to recover this thread.

Anyone have a good list of mods for MW?

>all the real legendary mages are humans.

Such as? No, seriously, name one besides Shalidor?

Miraak. Mind controls most of Solstheim can project himself from Apocrypha, absorbing Dragon souls in the process.

Probably doesn't seem that powerful because unlike most legendary characters, he actually appears in-game and not in some weakened state. See Mannimarco for what happens when you appear in a game.

Miraak was also the personal servant of a god though. It's kinda unfair to say his powers came from being a good mage, and even THAT part came from eating Dragon souls, which is not an ability inherent to all human races.

There was that Dragon Priest guy you have to dig out on Solstheim that learned elf magics and helped Ysgramor kick their asses.

wut? Why?

This wizard is just wearing an outfit that is designed for someone who levitates in the most comfortable position.

Levitation is the entry requirement for Telvanni wizards, so it's a sort of cultural icon they use to differentiate themselves from the other hooplehead houses.
So I could imagine (Morrowind engine limitations aside) Telvanni levitating on a constant basis.

Isn't being exceptional a requirement for being a legendary mage? I mean, Sotha Sil still gets on the list, right?

Azra.

Also it hasn't even been 100 posts and this thread is already kind of shitty.

Just like small Breton girls after a romp with Tyrogush gro-Blakzog.

Upvoted
Simbly ebin fellow MAGApede

It's fine, I don't mind helping a newfriend learn a bit more about the lore or giving them things to read up on.

Reminder that the Empire will prevail and it is your duty as citizens to guard the borders from hostile beasts.

I'm kind of wondering why domesticated trolls aren't used for war more, or why only the Dawnguard are shown using crossbows.

I am still questioning what the hell happened to the Minotaurs.

The Empire is already effectively dead as of the time of Skyrim, it's just a slow death that may last a couple more decades. They've already lost half their provinces, there's corruption and assassination at the highest levels of government (reminder that all guild questlines are considered canon, even if not done by the main character), and the Empire literally allows their enemies to walk around freely and arrest it's citizens on trumped up charges without any evidence on a whim.

Your move, Wimperials.

Honestly expecting an Elder scrolls drop next year. Seems to go the usual time span between IV and V. I hope.

Yeah and you also defeated Hammerfell with your majestic strength putting a domination of all. Back up twinkle dick.

I think you're mistaking me for a Thalmor supporter. To the contrary, it's the Redguards, Nords, and Bretons I support.

>shitty
>multiple civil discussions
>helping new lorefags
>shitposters being largely ignored

I do not need a scat fetish user

It's more of a joke since orcs are the result of their God being shitted out by another god.

In the novel Malacath tells Attrebus something along the lines of it being ridiculous and that mortals take things to literally.

But if I was pooped out I guess that's what I would say.

I'll go for /v/ for this kind of shitposting.

Zurin Arctus and the Sage

Moon sugar is a potent drug, but is it by itself addictive? Can a non-Khajiit become addicted to the sugar by itself, without refinement into Skooma?

Isn't the Sage a fictional character to those within the Elder Scrolls setting?

What makes you say that?

In the novel Sul warns Attrebus to not eat food offered to him by their Khajiit hosts because it has moon sugar on it, iirc. So I'm not sure if it's addicting, but it would probably make most races sick. The Khajiit don't seem effected by it unless it's distilled into skooma.

It's how the books are written and how the Sage never seems to get mentioned outside of his own stories.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Sage
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Final_Lesson
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Feyfolken

In 2 of the 3 (or 4 of 5) books he appears in he's just the narrator. The only thing that would make me think he's not fictional within the world is that 2 authors mention him.

Probably depends on preparation as by skyrim my character often eaten Elsweyr Fondue with moon sugar and lived

>Moon sugar is a grainy powder of small white crystals refined from cane grasses of Elseweyr's coasts and estuaries. Used as a spice in Elsweyr, it has modest magical properties, and is also a potent narcotic, and illegal in Morrowind and the rest of the Empire. Criminals have attempted to grow moon sugar grasses in Vvardenfell, without success.

>You're new at Frostmoth so I guess you haven't heard. Over the past couple of months several people across Solstheim have been poisoned...with moon sugar. Someone has been slipping it into their food and wine. They experience temporary euphoria, and then complete exhaustion. I've been charged with finding the culprit and bringing him to justice.

>The khajiit also believe that their gods regularly bestow blessings to their chosen people, in the form of the moon-sugar, a substance native to the Tenmar Forest in southern Elsweyr. This sugar has a variety of uses; it is alternately a seasoning and a magical ingredient, a source of communion with the holy moons and a dangerous and addictive drug.

>The food of Elsweyr is invariably sweet; candies, cakes, puddings, and sugarmeats are the staples of the khajiit diet, and travelers to Elsweyr are cautioned against partaking of any of the native food. Humans, it seems, are even more susceptible to the effects of the moon-sugar than the catmen themselves.

Pretty sure the Sage is just some made up character so the Bretons can feel like they produced a wizard cool enough to get noticed by the Crystal Tower elf wizard senpais.

I don't think the Sage mentioned in those stories is supposed to be THE sage, but I guess that's up to interpretation.

The books "The Sage" and "The Final Lesson" have the same author, so I'm inclined to believe they're the same Sage. The Feyfolken books are linked to The Final Lesson by having the same 2 pupils.

Otherwise the Sage only appears in a single book and is never mentioned elsewhere. Reinforcing my belief that he is fictional within Tamriel.

ooga booga go back to yokuda

>zurin arctus
>human
Shiggy