L5R Legend of the Five Rings

L5R - Legend of the Five Rings

Put This Thread on the Bottom of Your Deck at the End of the Conflict Edition

Phoenix Clan Pack: Disciples of the Void
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/15/disciples-of-the-void/

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

Latest Beta Update:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/99/6e/996e894d-b3d4-44e8-810e-d1824b82fd18/l5r00_beta_updates_v20.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - jigoku.online/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259 (embed)

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv (embed)

How do we fix Lion?

Phoenix is.... still not looking good because all of their cads sre conditional as fuck. Sucks yo be loyal. Glad I'm not Unicorn though

Are you retarded?

I didn't get to answer about Battle For Rokugan in the last thread, yep there is a big difference between clans and it's very flavorful. You get a special ability and access to a slightly different resource pool than everyone else.

Updated Rules Reference, Errata and FAQ live on FFG's site!

I wouldn't say there's a big difference (your actions are resource pool will be 95% the same) but it's pretty meaningful in play. Playing the dragon clan instead of the scorpion clan will totally change how you order and plan out your turn.

Give me the tldr pls

Hey all, looking for some advice. Haven't played the RPG since 2nd edition, and one of my friends has commissioned me to make a mandala using the clan mons and such. This is what I've put together so far. Some things I already intend to change, based on previous feedback:

The Spider clan is a poor choice for representing Fu Leng along the band of original Kami; I will be replacing it with the oni mon from the Shadowlands instead. I don't know which minor clans to include on the outer ring, and I'm also including the Naga and Nezumi. Not sure whether I should include the Ronin mon there either.

What I'm asking for is suggestions on how to arrange the outer ring; who to include, where to place them for maximum relevance and meaning, etc. Any other suggestions are appreciated too. Thanks!

Nice I will get it now.
Had no interested in a slightly more complicated risk

Oh yeah, and someone pointed out the Bat Clan is apparently just the damn Bacardi logo. Welp. Better change that too.

>Spider is in the ring of Great Clans
>Mantis is in the ring of minor clans

This pleases me.

>Mantis not a great clan

They don't have a patron Kami from the original pantheon; even if the Emperor recognizes them as a Great Clan, I was trying to be consistent on those lines. Hence why Fu Leng gets represented on that tier.

>no centipede or wasp clan
>fucking rats
>the spider at all

It's shit

>(Embed)

Nezumi should be in center.

How come there isn't a seppuku card in the LCG? Something to work against dishonor tech, like "Sacrifice a dishonored character - gain some honor" or "Sacrifice a dishonored character - honor some other character(s)"?

I'd really like to see one. Something like this.

Lefties would get mad about promoting self harm.

Name one faction that doesn't 3x auto include Prodigy of the Waves given the chance?

Leftist here, don't care about promoting self harm.

Actually I would like to encourage you to eat a bullet reactionary /pol/ trash.

Oh look the internet commie is upset that people don't agree with him.

Maybe Scorpion in a pure dishonor build? But I would put it in any way if I decide to switch.

I think you got the wrong door. Tumblr is two blocks down.

My apologies xir I should not have assumed your gender that was very rude of me.

You made a lick of sense, and then threw it away because you couldn't resist.

Why?

t. An actual lefty.

I have a tournament tonight and I haven't got enough practice (lack of time) to know what cards are good. I usually main Scorpion but I also like Phoenix. Could you guys help me out?

no
ded thred

In all seriousness, though, for those few that may remember me, finally back to finish what I started after a too long hiatus for a variety of reasons

Because if storytime can help keep a general alive, it's time for storytime

>Leftist
Bourgeois liberal detected

Hush now, child, it's storytime

As some of you may recall, not too long ago, a Crab we know as Stonewall told his epic tale in a series of threads, still before the launch of the LCG and the slightly more permanent state of this general. Since the amount of bumps during euro times were a bit on the low side, I decided to contribute to keep his threads alive by posting the story of my as of yet still favorite character, Kakita Tatsuya, up until his death. After myself and Stonewall finished our storytime, my group finally finished the campaign, the rest of which I started telling in this general a few months back.

Unfortunately, due to putting it off for the sake of my studies as well as, if I may be honest, a bit of laziness on my part, I stopped continuing, leaving it off at a bit of a cliffhanger. Due to those same reasons, I also neglected to copy and save what I did write, so won't be able to post that other than a summary (unless I somehow pull myself together to rewrite the original story as well as everything in proper prose).

Now, with a bit more time on my hands and nothing better to do, I thought "better late than never", and decided to finally finish up. What will follow is about 6-8 hours worth of roleplay from about 6 months ago, so it might take some time to remember, and you'll have to excuse certain inconsistencies that may or may not pop up.

For now, let me recap so we're all up to speed.

>Summer Court 1200 over, party returns to Rokugan joined by my replacement
>Ordered to investigate potential ties of Scorpion to investigation
>Failed results mean Imperial Legion invasion in Scorpion lands
>Meet Bayushi Nitoshi, have botany-metaphor filled discussion resulting in not-so-veiled threat of destruction
>Get sent back to colonies via Chikushudo, Sakkaku shenanigans interrupts briefly
>Wait for Final Student Bayushi Kahoku to continue
>Suddenly moving shadows

I think that about recaps it without going into too much detail, players were:

Daidoji Taichi
Togashi Jiaying
Tsuruchi Yoshimitsu
and Kaito, my replacement character after the original Crane-san's death.

Time to get back into things, then

Feel free as well to post any of your own storytimes, of course, or any of the screencaps of the popular ones, and don't let me stop you from discussing the game itself.

This is still the general, after all, not my own personal storytime thread.

Do you guys think that FFG is going to add the Mantis clan or the Unicorn clan to the game first?

I don't know if you're an idiot or if you're memeing about the Unicorn being "bad" which they aren't.

Everybody readied themselves for combat as the shadows swiftly took shape. Strange figures clad all in balck, with white veils covering their faces, stood before the Heroes of Rokugan, and without a word begun their attack. Taichi ignored the shuriken that embedded themselves in his armor, as he started cleaving through the moving shadows with his no-dachi. Yoshimitsu's skillfully shot arrows pierced one of the strange veils, upon which the bearer melded back into the shadows from whence it came. With a roaring battle cry, Jiaying joined the fray, her fists lighting up in fierce flames as she struck her opponents, as Kaito aligned his chi with the Soul of the Four Winds.

The moving shadows stood little chance before this onslaught. Had their ambush been successful, it might have turned out differently, but now, only a few of the shuriken managed to graze the skin of the Tattooed Monk and the Komosu, and one shadow fell after another. Finally, when only one was standing and Taichi readied his blade for one final strike, Kaito shouted out: "No! Don't kill him, take him!" With a grunt, Taichi struck with the pommel of his sword, then tackled the figure, and after a brief tussle ended up restraining the ninja, holding his tanto at its throat.

Yoshimitsu went to retrieve his arrows as Kaito and Jiaying approached their captive. A wave of unease passed over them when they noticed that it didn't move at all, more perfectly still than a garden pond, not even the telltale signs of breathing to be seen. Kaito was the first to speak:

"Why are you here?"

"Someone wants you dead. Someone wanted us to kill you."

"Who sent you?"

"No one."

"...You just said someone wanted us dead."

"Yes."

"So who sent you?!"

"No one."

"... Fine, then. Who wants us dead?"

"Someone."

"Why do they want us dead?"

"We didn't ask. We don't care."

"Then why try to kill us?"

"Because."

Jiaying was starting to get impatient. VERY impatient.

>which they aren't
Yes they are.

"We're not getting any answers. What's even the point of this? Maybe if I..." Before anyone had a chance to stop her, she punched the ninja square in the stomach.

It still would not move.

"No, no, young one, that won't work on this one." Kaito, exasperated, stroked his beard as he thought of how to question their captive.

"Who are you?"

"We are shadow."

"Will you tell us who wants us dead?"

"No."

"Will you tell us why they want us dead?"

"No."

"Then what will you tell us?"

"You are too late."

Something wasn't feeling right. Kaito scratched where the throwing star had grazed him. Still, he had to know more.

"What do you mean by that?"

"That you are too late. You cannot stop what is coming. And you will not be able to save anyone. No man, no woman, no child. Not even yourselves.

Just like this body, you are already dead."

And with those last words, the ninja plunged itself onto Taichi's knife, becoming once more mere shadow. Kaito once more stroked his beard, a concerned look in his eyes, as the others were still trying to figure out what had occured. Then, with a cry of anguish, Jiaying buckled over in pain, falling to the ground, clutching her side. Kaito and Yoshimitsu rushed to her, Before they could realize what afflicted her, Kaito felt it himself: a sharp pain, engulfing his body like a fire, emanating from the small wound he had received. The two still standing rushed back to the Second City gate, getting guardsmen to carry the afflicted to a shugenja, to anyone, for healing. By now, it was clear what was affecting the two monks, what was causing them such great pain, what the ninja had lowered themselves to use to ensure their victory:

Poison.

>TFW when you were a die-hard Scorpion/Crane frenemy fluffbunny since the old days, start looking into the new ccg, come up with a starting concept you decide to call "Well-dressed Liars", then fire up the meta for a peak and find out the best you can hope for is to copy somebody elses innovative/counter-intuitive good idea and not suck at it while you learn the game while be laughed at for net-decking

Your not very good at this are you?

No one cares if you netdeck.

How do you decide what "curve" of fate costs the cards in your Dynasty deck should have?

Varies a lot by clan and strategy, there's not really a hard and fast rule.

If all you care about is winning, just play Lion splash Dragon and turn stuff sideways until you're the champ.

Okay, what strategies favor what curves? Like, I assume if you're playing Lion "weenie rush" you want more 1-drops and 2-drops than other players, but what about other factors?

You will get shit on by crab and Phoenix if you try that.

Phoenix tends to have a hard time against Lion, though not quite as hard as they had in core.

Phoenix with Lion splash crushes Lion.

Lion is lots of cheap characters with a few key higher cost characters. But it does have some top curve stuff, it just cheats them in instead of paying for them. Phoenix and Dragon tend to invest heavily in a handful of big characters. Crab has a couple of big characters and a bunch of small characters that they sacrifice for various effects. Unicorn tends to swarm and cheat characters in from discard, though they're worse at it than Lion. Crane likes cheap characters and card advantage. Scorpion has a mix and some cheat into play tricks, in addition to things like taking control of opponents' characters.

Haven't played that match up. Is it just avoiding getting overrun by widening their board with Stand Your Ground, plus putting out big numbers with honor? Along with Censure and keeping Ujiaki turned off?

Your close but you don't run censure because it does nothing for 1/4 of the game and running crone and policy debate to shut down the big FGG plays.

Haven't heard of many Phoenix not running Censure.

I think he meant you use Crone and Policy Debate as your first line of defense against FGG. You still put Censure in, but it's there for playing against other clans (ex. shutting down WotCrab).

Nevermind I just reread the post.
Don't build your Phoenix deck specifically to counter Lion. That's silly. Play Censure.

Censure is an overrated card.

So how good is Jigoku?

Its the realm of evil so I would imagine not very.

Not in Phoenix. As long as you're planning to do it you can usually secure the favor fairly easily.

It's a dead card first turn and the cost of pumping a guy you left at home may not be worth it if the game is close.

I meant the website

Pretty solid way to play the game. Doesn't have particularly good built in deck building, but it can import deck lists from fiveringsdb. Most of the game is automated there which is a bit mixed, if you play there a lot you need to make sure that practice doesn't lead you to missing triggers when you play in person.

If you like your opponent leaving after a bad flop instead of playing it out I guess its OK.

That certainly does happen, but I've had fairly good luck with opponents overall. When it does happen it seems more after a bad turn than a bad first flop, and often from players who aren't actually losing.

As someone from an area with a small local play scene I find it's a helpful way to get games in, and especially to get in games outside my local meta.