Genesys Destiny

Has anyone been using Genesys yet? I might have a group that wants to try it and want to see what you all have to say about it if you've been playing using it. That and figure out how to port Destiny using it as well

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/M7v0hdGNN9Q?t=2m21s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I see threads about it on Veeky Forums every day asking if anyone has played it yet, so I assume it sucks.

It hasn't been out that long hasn't it?

Porting Destiny over is easy. Promise your players alot of stuff, then charge them money for nothing.

I should have known better but that's what I get I guess

That stock looks uncomfortably short. Even considering the fact that they all wear armour.

I have actually been working for a long time to adapt the FFG Star Wars system, which is basically the same thing as Genesys, for a Destiny homebrew. It has been a very long term on and off thing where I haven't made a ton of progress, and I also have a bad habit of redoing shit over and over again. I go back and forth between wanting to make huge mechanical changes to the system to make it feel more like the game, and doing a more straight adaptation to it for the sake of simplicity.

I just plan to play it by it ear once I get a hold of the system, the main thing figuring out how to do weapons and figure out if or how to split skills between the player and ghost or even how that would work

For the Ghost, I've mostly been ignoring the notion because they would be hell in a tabletop environment. Adapting them exactly as they appears in the games would render pretty much every non-combat thing Guardians can do worthless. There is also the matter of portraying them as characters, does the GM play each one as a GMPC or are they NPCs that are constantly around? Does every player also have to play their Guardian's Ghost? I'd rather just not think about it.

Weapons wise, what I've been doing for the most part is stating base models for every main weapon type. Auto Rifles, Scouts, Hand Cannons, and so on. Then Representing the specific weapons from the games with mod setups, the number of mod hard points a weapon has is based on the quality levels from the games.

I would probably handwave the interaction between Guardian and ghost, the character has the skills and you can just you both are doing shit or if there is something specific the ghost has to do that's fine as well (i.e. If the character is a mechanic then both the guardian and the ghost are doing stuff not that the ghost is automatically better at it then the guardian)

That is a pretty good idea actually, would also allow for you to incorporate Ghost shells in a way. If you assume the Ghost is always assisting with skill uses, you could have specialized Ghost shells provide boosts for certain tasks.

They're completely different systems, but Only War has a mechanic called Comrades. In order to bulk up a Player Squad to more than 3/6 players, each PC has an NPC called a Comrade that is always with them. The Comrade can assist in skill-checks, and the player can buy talents that buff their Comrade and allow them to perform special manoeuvres in combat that rely on teamplay. Might be worth considering that for Ghosts too. I get that Combat wouldn't necessarily benefit from a Ghosts involvement, but out of combat skills would work.

That's something to consider although I think it might be a hassle splitting resources between yourself and your ghost. I'd figure if your light grows stronger your ghost gets stronger by proxy so maybe it's best to keep the ghost as a narrative function of your character in that case.

I'd prefer to handwave it as the Ghost always helping their Guardian, without having to invest anything into them extra, or deal with a separate advancement system.

I figured your Light would be the rough XP equivalent?

Yeah, it would be non-sensical to try and copy the light/power level from the game as it's entirely a mechanical thing game wise.

For my thing, I redid the Destiny/Story points into Light Points. Changed it so that they carried over between sessions, and made it so you lost a Light Point every time you died and had to be revived. Using your Light for stuff in play also flipped the points into Darkness Points for the GM to spend.

Man I've been trying to do the same thing since I heard Genesys was coming out. Thought the magic would be a bigger system then it is so now it's just a straight EotE mod.
Bungie pissing everyone off with their bullshit twice a week hasn't been helping my motivation to work on it all that much though.

The Genesys magic system might be little more than a skeleton, but its a skeleton I like a lot. Makes things so much simpler than trying to adapt the Guardian Powers/Abilities into the Force rules from the Star Wars RPGs

In spite of what's going on with the game I still like the lore all things told so I'm willing to press on regardless.

That said, another thing to address.

Light powers are more than just what we see with the sublcasses, I've been trying to think of what would be ways to have not combat uses for the elemental powers as well.

For example, it's pretty obvious to me that Arc seems to be associated with life being that your channeling your bio-electricity to fry things and there is a canonical race of lightning beings (i.e. the Fulminator).

I think in one of the Griomire Cards one of the Iron Lords was able to use their Arc lightning to take control of shanks? So using your Arc energy to interact with and control machines is one aspect. Another I think would be healing. guardians don't need it but then imagine if you were a doctor who went around tending to normie humans/exos/Awoken and could heal and treat them?

True, true. It's a useful system for sure, I was just wanting a little more of it, you know?

I think the Genesys spell system is a great fit for how Guardian powers seem to function, they bend reality to their will with Light. So going with a system that allows you to build spells on the fly by combing types and effects feels like a good solution.

Only thing I haven't really decided on yet is what to do Skill wise. The three magic skills given in the Genesys rules (Arcana, Primal, Divine) don't really make any sense for Destiny, but I'm not sure what to go with that will still allow for the same spell type system.

So far there's just a universal "Channel Light" skill in my game that's used for class abilities and Supers.

Having it be one skill might be the way to go, but it would have to be something besides "Channel Light" since Hive enemies cast spells too.

Just treat the two as an aggregate entity in terms of skills.

>Channel Light for Guardians
>Channel Darkness for Hive / Taken / Maybe some Vex?
I'm thinking of adding a "Darkness Lore / Hive Lore" skill too for if a player really wants to go full Tolland

That's what I would do although it would be a special skill that takes time and RPing to actually level up.

For instance, if you had Lore: Vex or whatever you have to spend and inordinate amount of time dealing with them and picking them apart and shit like that. Depending upon how levels works this goes from knowing what units are what and how they work (possibly bonus to damage or something like that) how to convert them or their tech to weapons and armor and how to haxxors their system

Yeah, that has potential to be a cool system. As shit as CoO was the way his cult makes those hacked together Vex guns was interesting design wise.

I honestly don't quite understand why people have such a big beef with Curse of Osiris, it is miles better content wise than either Dark Below or House of Wolves were. If people want to make a "wasting elements/potential of the lore" argument, then I point to House of Wolves being a million times worse in that regard by entirely trashing Skolas who is one of the most interesting major villains they have had so far. Yet thanks to HoW he never gets to do anything fun, his plans get foiled far too early.

It's more of a "We've been doing this for 4 years, Bungie. Get your shit together already." thing
D1 sort of got a pass because of the whole last minute story fuckup and it being a new IP and genre that Bungie was fairly new at.
D2 has made a ton of really goddamn stupid design moves and mistakes, ignored most of the advancements that D1 made and then started that recent trend of trying to shyster the playerbase at every opportunity. so CoO being lackluster has pissed people off a lot more.
Sorta like when EA does something that would be a minor problem for a publisher that wasn't hated by everyone. but because it's EA people want blood.

So Fallen being a choice enemy type during the Warlord Era makes sense but who else would be there? I don't think Crota and his gang show up till much much later and the Vex never seem to show up on Earth (probably due in part to the Traveler's presence).

That said, Wish Dragons and possibly mutated wildlife would be interesting to explore.

Mutated wildlife or stuffed created in the aftermath of the Traveler's last stand is a huge unexplored angle that is ripe for use, the Dark Forest stuff from Destiny 2 shows some interesting potential. If this sort of thing can happen plant life, what would happen to animals?

>Be a group of Risen trying to cross the United States
>Come across 15 foot tall Black bears with glowing eyes and channeling arc energy through their claws
>Eagles with 40 foot wing spans
>Giant Cotton Mouths
>Giant Gators
>Giant wild hogs
>A group of Fallen trying to hunt said Giant Hog

And that's not even considering how the Traveler may have changed the Earth beforehand. We know that Mercury used to be this paradise world before the Vex came and fucked it all up. Imagine what the Traveler could have done once it settled on Earth

I'm not sure it ever did anything to Earth directly, and it never did settle anywhere. It hadn't finished doing its magical terraforming thing throughout the system yet when the Collapse started playing out. It stopped mid-job on Io.

Malfunctioning Golden Age tech.
Way more varieties of Fallen and Fallen tech, with overlaps of the Golden Age stuff. Fallen Captain riding some weird ass modified Shank and a Golden Age 3d printer wired into his Shrapnel Cannon.

Combat/Security drones of all sorts as well. Imagine passing by a military facility and the drones still go about their security detail.

That said, Captain Pimp and his Pimp shank are going to be a thing.

I mean, just Imagine if Aksis actually finished his cybernetic upgrades and got into the outside world?

Aksis was fully done I believe, He was basically the first Fallen to go full borg with his Archon being close behind him as far as being SIVAfied goes

When you go to talk him out your fireteam seems to arrive just as he is being assembled into his final form, at least that is how I always viewed it.

I suppose that's one way to look at it, but then again do you always wear pants when you're at home?

Plus I mean, he has to have more plans beyond just lurking down there. Since he built himself up into a giant heavily armed death walker.

>Not turning yourself into a giant multi-legged doom bot for shits and grins

What are you? some kind of faggot? Besides, that was defintely the case but then you remember we destroyed the Death Zamboni they were going to use to assault the Wall with.

So would the classes merely be the archetype, or would it actually effect the whole light system?

From what I read it would make sense for the classes to be Archetypes. The concept of Hunters/Warlocks/Titans didn't exist until the Iron Lords came along. The Subclasses could be traits that give you general access to abilities associated with the subclass (grenades and certain abilities) as well as the guardian abilities as spells

I think the grenades should be equipment, it would make sense since the Fallen grenades are the same as one of the arc sub-classe's grenades (can't remember which one)

pretty sure they slide out on the fusion rifles.
Although because Guardians are beefed up on Light energy steroids they probably wouldn't worry about using the stock at all.

The grenades abilities are specified as magical in nature, they call it "exploding your light" or something akin to that

The way I ended up doing this was to have each subclass as a career, doing it as something of a mix of the Genesys and SW RPG systems. You have your career skills, signature abilities, but instead of a talent tree I went with the talent pyramid concept from Genesys. Just with two separate general talent and career talent pyramids.

I think the Vex not being on Earth at all doesn't have anything to do with the Traveler. Especially after CoO seems to show the Vex setting up shop on Mercury while the Traveler is still there. It might be more that they can't do anything on Earth without screwing with the timeline of their development. Humanity seems to play some kind of important role for them, otherwise they could effortlessly erase humans from existing

Where did they mention this? in the Grimoire?

Sounds interesting, kinda Deathwatch-ish with the multiple trees with which to advance your character

What kinda non-combat talents would each of the classes and sub-classes get?

It was a crucible quest fluff text thing, for when you needed to get grenade ability kills. It was a quote from Shaxx.

They're already trying to erase humanity from existence, it's just that interference from Guardians, and specifically Osiris, is killing all simulated futures that allow them to do that.

At this point, the Vex have evolved into acausality, having their own self-contained origin paradox free. They can shape existence to fit their needs and not have to worry about erasing themselves by accident, they just do not yet have the means to shape reality to that degree yet. Although the disturbing ability for them to start sensing Light and Dark seems to suggest they're getting close to figuring out those problems.

Also, Oryx and his taken-ing up a bunch of them probably didn't help much

I checked a few wikis and from what I can see, the only one's that make that kinda reference are to the warlocks, where it makes sense since they are space-wizards, as for Hunter it actually makes a reference in the gunslinger one that shows they may be physical

So for warlock their abilities could essentially be "magic missile" but Titans and Hunter they have actual regular grenades (at least that's how I envision it)

The Queen of the Reef even seems to have had a darkness-infused (but not Taken) Minotaur character in her gladiatorial arena at one point. I mean, she could call things from places no one else could go, so it's possible that's from another dimension, the future, the past, a place we haven't seen yet in the present, or somewhere else entirely.

Even if it is a physical thing, it is being conjured. Like Gunslingers conjure their golden guns, Sunbreakers with their hammers. All Guardians are casters, the powers just manifest differently for everyone

Pretty much this. The grenades themselves are manifestations of light. In the case of Warlocks the Nova Bomb is just a super huge grenade that requires no finesse to use.

That doesn't mean you can't keep physical grenades as was the case where they couldn't use their light. I would also say it would be good to have convientional explosives on hand as a matter of course.

Yeah that makes sense, my main reason for thinking this is that the Fallen Arc grenades are identical to one of the Striker Titan grenades.

But of course, more is better when it comes to character options (within reason of course)

It'd also make sense for Characters to treat their ability types in similar ways. That way, there's just melee abilities, grenade abilities, super abilities, jumping abilities... No need to suddenly have some of those become equipment.

But can certainly be modified by equipment! But that would come later. I like the Warlord Age as a starting point because beyond Golden Age tech and the potential of some gunsmiths you don't have to worry about shit like the Doom Pauldrons being made and dealing with that just yet.

speaking of Warlords, are we talking deep Dark Age or early City Age as a setting? Because I was of the understanding that the they sorta overlap.

There is a great deal of overlap there. The Iron Lords are wiped out at some point well after the Last City is established and Six Fronts was fought.

The post Darkage into the Warlord Age, sort of the middle ground between Warlords being established and before the Ironlords become a prevailing force in setting.

I was thinking of having the PCs be OG Risen who woke up in the US and adventure around there before eventually heeding the call and finding where the Traveler is or at least going to Europe and encountering the Iron Lords.

So early City Age, cool. Maybe get to see the beginning of the last city

By the way, did anyone ever figure out where the Last City actually is

Jagi's Host marched from the city to the Caspian sea so somewhere around that area.

There are conflicting theories. Some people analyzed the angle of the sun in the skybox, and the shadows cast and whatnot, which pins the Last City somewhere in the Andes. The actual geography of the area supposedly looks like Nepal, and Bungie's charity campaign for supporting Nepal after their earthquake hinted at that as well. Some lore bits however point to the location being very close to the Cosmodrome.

The two big candidates I recall being Pokhara Nepal or somewhere in the Las Torres del Paine in Chile.
The geography looks similar but they're based on shadow positions during certain times of the day, and seeing as how Bungie can't even keep the Travelers size consistent I wouldn't read too much into virtual sundials.

Jagi's Host marched from the Cosmodrome south to the Caspian Sea, not the City.

The Traveler changed the gravity of the Moon to be the same as Earth's without altering its density or throwing off the orbital mechanics of the entire system. I don't think it changing size is really that big of an issue.

Having it in the Andes would be fun. But given the mountain ranges seem to stretch around both sides of the city, possibly anywhere along China's western border. It also makes a bit of sense given the lore and focus on the Cosmodrome in 1 and now the EDZ in 2.

I've had an idea for starting off a Destiny campaign for a long time, based around the first session or two being a giant fake out. It would be set during the early Dark Age, but I wouldn't tell anyone participating about it being a Destiny game.

I'd sell it to the group as a more or less standard Post-Apocalyptic one off adventure, set on an Earth ravaged by an Alien invasion. The idea would be to slowly introduce Destiny content as the adventure plays out, doing it subtly at first all the way up until I hit them over the head with it when the BBEG turns out to be a Sunbreaker Warlord. After the group kills him, his Ghost would resurrect the guy in front of their eyes, and he would break out his Hammer of Sol and other Light abilities to completely annihilate them. It would then pick up several hundred years later, with the same characters all being resurrected as Guardians.

I just picked up a copy of the core book from the local comic shop. I haven't had much time with it yet, but I'll probably doing a pass of my own using the system as a core with a mash of magic/space opera rules. Likely home brewing a lot of the "for flavor" things. Given that the dice are narrative, I am not sure how I intend on keeping the game combat-focused or if I'll minimize the combat in favor of broader stories.

>Elbows locked to core is best stance, short stocks are better for that

Personally I'd backpack the Ghost except for key narrative moments. I would be more prone to use non-Player Ghosts if I need to do anything particularly crazy compared to hacking something or picking a lock.

And I definitely think keeping the weapons streamlined is the way to do it. I think that is probably the part that would take the most to really convert to a sensible tabletop solution.

That's the fault of splitting the code on release of Taken King and not paying enough attention to what the Live Team was doing in D1. Some of the core design changes are just not as fun and their reasoning is really not satisfying for most players. Still, I play most days depending on if I don't have a whim for something else.

The Dark Forest is so disappointingly underutilized. I'm intending to base whatever initial theory-crafted session there. Albeit I am unsure if I want to do Dark Age, City Age, or New Golden Age.

Given the ranges for setting, my recommendation would be toward the end of the Dark Age and the start of the City Age. It gives the wide ability to go be murder-hobo while allowing those players interested to help "shape" the new age

The codebase probably split off way earlier than Taken King, High Caliber Rounds in D2 on release were equivalent to how they were in vanilla D1 and that was something that got nerfed before Dark Below came out. And I doubt they were outright ignoring what the live team was doing, they were just working on a different codebase and couldn't just copy/paste things over as they developed.

Well, during the Iron Lords' conflict with Rasputin as he was attempting to keep them from releasing SIVA he dropped hella frames on them. I would definitely think Fallen-hacked ones or simply off-net frames would make for some interesting encounters. And there is not limitation to where they are located.

Given that some grenades appear more physical and others as pure light, I think some of it is that the game blurs the lines between magic and technology. But I wouldn't treat them as an equipment resource.

I think the classes as we know them probably existed in how the Risen harnessed Light. However, they were likely not nearly as structurally codified as we see them in game. I would play a little more loose in the details, personally. I like the idea of Guardians learning different ways to shape their Light, though maintaining the defined tendencies which, as the Lore tends to imply, are inherent with the personality of the Guardian.

I wouldn't make non-combat aspects of characters terribly different, other than perhaps having some things which reflect on the general personalities each class tends to have. i.e., Bullheaded Titans, Wayward Hunters, and Studious Warlocks.

As I recall, they'd have to take a whole day to load just one area before they could make changes to it, and they sometimes got errors when trying to edit it so when they got back to work it turns out they hadn't actually loaded the map they needed to edit.

Basically, early Destiny 1 is a nightmare to edit.

I actually really like the threads of Lore about the Awoken having powers not of Light or of Darkness. In discussions I tend to refer to the idea as "Dusk" or "Twilight" depending on how annoying the listener will get with the latter. Similar to how The Nine and Ahamkara exist somehow outside of the Light/Dark dichotomy.

Sadly for some I'm not the biggest fan of murderhoboing. I'd be more interested in exploring the actual human stories of the Risen than the more comical aspects of canon Guardian habits.

So, I'm pretty sure that their tool and pipeline stuff was split off prior, but the split from TTK is the most logical timing. And the only reference to changes to HCR I could quickly find in patch notes was after the release of TTK. Regardless, not important to this thread.

I'm not really sure what else you could do with the Dark Forest, aside from making an entire zone out of that twisted/corrupted ascetic.

nothing wrong with wanting more than just murderhoboing. I would still suggest that time period. Maybe further into the start of the City Age, where the active murderhoboing could actually hold them back. After all Glimmer doesn't fill belly's.

I think the biggest obstacle to running anything in this setting beyond murderhobo combat gauntlets, would be that Guardians are ridiculously overpowered. The fact that they are quasi-immortal is already pretty significant, but every single one of them is also a caster with access to reality bending magical powers. I don't really see how players can take the stakes in a story seriously, once they realize they are capable of pulling off bullshit like this:

youtu.be/M7v0hdGNN9Q?t=2m21s

I'm not saying it is impossible or anything, but it would require a really good GM to control the tone well enough to keep players from feeling entirely invincible after a certain point.

The idea is to keep them pretty mortal and turn Light into a limited resource for players in the wilderness.

Besides, the players wouldn't be playing the kinds of protagonists who beat up Oryx in one go. They'd be the guys who end up getting gibbed by a Fallen Ambush or killed by a Hive Wizard. If they're very lucky, they might end up trapped in a Vex time-vault.

That is a good point, for every legend like Saint-14 there must be a dozen other Titans out there who end up like this guy.

You also have to remember that not every Risen is going to become a scrub that gets thrown on the battlefield. Tyra Karn is a Risen, she has a ghost, but she's the farthest thing from being combat worthy. I imagine there are others like her who just don't have the capacity to be fighters in spite of being chosen but they fill in the gaps in other ways.

I have not seen anything but It would make a sweet setting.
>Lots of unique enemies with deep lore
>So many damn locations
>Some good tension, themes, and tone

I would never touch the Vyida but a well built setting would catch my attention.

Im sure someone is working on it in the background.

You also have mountains of really nice artwork to help you visualize it all, or reference for ideas/inspiration.

The key thing is also not making campaigns just straight up dungeon crawls. You have to give stakes and motivations other then "kill dudes for loot" If you're playing an Iron Lords-esq Dark Ages game, give them a village of mortal humans to protect.
makes a good point too. The resurrection stuff is powerful, but Guardians can still die easy if they're stupid or just caught at a really bad time.

More so, you could always run into other Risen who are assholes and won't abide other Risen who can challenge their power

It's the same system from Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny. They just renamed everything to non-Star Wars related terms and use it as a generic system.

And being a direct downgrade in some places. IE: No Signature Abilities and the new Skill Trees are ass.

The Talent Pyramid concept is way better than the Talent Trees the Star Wars RPGs had.

Not to mention they could form alliances and or friendships with certain groups to help them access new powers.

I was thinking of what would be a good way for them to figure out how they would learn to use their light. The obvious way would be by accident or purpose as they realize they have "powers" but have to learn to use it. Then again, if they run across another Risen who's been using some powers they could learn from them and set them on the path towards customizing their skills

For example

The PCs are traveling around and hear about an exo woman with strange powers of healing and when you go to talk to her you find out she figured out how to user ARC light to heal the body. Doing her a solid might get her to teach you how to harness Arc energy which you can then attempt to learn how to harness on your own or learn a specific ability from another Arc user.

There are a lot of things you can hide somewhere that everyone else is afraid to go. A Warmind Vault wouldn't be impossible. Giving a reason to why the shard crashed, due to weapon systems there being used to motivate it to stay. Or a Cult of Fallen who stopped worshiping machines and now worship some unholy abomination born from whatever twisted the Forest and a Prime Servitor. I dunno. I think that there is a lot that could be explored.

This also doesn't account for Risen who are not Guardians or any of the various powers or entities out in the world which exceed a Guardian in raw power. I personally wouldn't make everything about combat, anyway. There are a lot of cases where collateral damages are undesirable.

There are a lot of dead Guardians and dead Ghosts in the lore. The Player Guardian is actually completely abnormal in both D1 and D2. Which is why I still stick with our interactions with other players are through the paracausal nature of the universe. Every player Guardian is actually the same Guardian from alternate and flexibly converging timelines.

I like this. Almost making subclasses more learned disciplines than locked pathways of power growth. Speaking of healing, though. Pic related.

That's honestly I feel the best way to interpret it especially if you consider Felwinter expressly says he learned the Titan's Knee bash from Jolder (he's a Warlock) and there are several class specific skills where it's said they learned from another class (i.e. Hunters learning how to Blink from Warlocks for example)

I think it would also require some degree of internal compatibility. The D2 Subclass Quests have some really interesting ideas that come up with them. And I think that notion that some Warlocks are only ever going to be Solar simply because their personality doesn't mesh with the Arc or the Void is really interesting.

Also remember that most of the Iron Lords are dead now.
They were badass and they still died.

The players wouldn't be playing god tier guardians like Saint or Cayde they'd be playing the rank and file.
Still freaking badass but without the training, experience and understanding of the light that enables the lore characters to do what they do.

That said it leaves plenty of scope to rule of cool and awesome hail marys the players think up

>Also remember that most of the Iron Lords are dead now.
>They were badass and they still died.
Because they went up against a force that had access to orbital anti-matter particle beams, an unlimited army of combat frames, and grey goo nanomachines under its control.

OK, Rulewise (I know the system).

Make the players supers basically (exploding dice on 2 attributes), make normal strength beings roll blues and blacks (upgraded to greens/purples max).

Develop kick ass powers either through the presented magic system or modding force powers from star wars.

Expand from the basic 3 classes, just have players mis-match whatever because it is Genesys and the crunch don't matter.

I think the best way to handle Supers, would be to handle them somewhat like Signature Abilities from the SW RPGs