Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned them on.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/38082703/#38082727
docs.google.com/document/d/1QasCNUqOLzdGh8xtS6N9KZ9ypjsflllrbq7WzwJgDZU/edit#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No opening question? What do you guys think about Warstriders now that they've been out for a while? Are the overpriced? Overpowered? Is the cost of upkeep worth what powers they grant? What would you change if you could?

Post pictures of Warstriders.

previous thread

>An epic high-flying role-playing game

am a little disapointed the guy who complained about the inaccurate general text last thread didn't write his own for the new one.

maybe next time :(

Do unarmed bonus charms like Adamantine Fists of Battle work with Smashfists?
I swear I remember reading somewhere that they don't, but then Meteor Fist Meditation for Heaven and Earth Gauntlets in Arms doesn't make any sense, since all it does is improve that charm.

No, unarmed specifically refers to using your bare hands.

Due to our good friend Natural Language, the bonus to decisive attacks AFoB grants implicitly works with Smashfists. You might want to take it up in the Ask the Devs thread.

So if the Southpaw Empress build doesn't work, how hard is it to defeat Ahlat?

He looks tough, but I honestly don't have a good grasp on combat balance in this system. I'm guessing most inexperienced Solars would be out of their league, but what about a heavily combat-focused Dawn?

IIRC, the Southpaw Empress was built on an incorrect reading of Thunderbolt Attack Prana.

Here's the original thread, however: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/38082703/#38082727

What build do you recommend in order to play pic related with the serial numbers carefully filed off?

Who is this?

Vance has stated in the errata thread that it will be clarified so that it explicitly allows specifically Heaven and Earth Gauntlets to work with Adamantine Fists of Battle.

I've got to say. I really appreciate how the devs communicate with the fan base and take time to answer questions like this. It really helped me get back into the game.

My wife

If you can support them, they're a hell of an advantage. Opponents need to go through a hell of a lot of health levels in order to knock you out of it which before then you could most likely slaughter any army they currently have at their disposal.

Out of curiosity, what do you need? Resources 4, Hearthstone 4, and Craft (First Age Artifice)? I think the Resources an be substituted with CNNT, but the fact that it's a FAA means that it costs Exp to build and repair.

a one-armed single-point user with a hidden claw-and-chain prosthetic in her coat.

honestly, you can just play Baiken straight and most nobody would fucking notice because she just comes off as a rough samurai type anyway and Guilty Gear's identity is in it's fuck-ass lore and estranged scifi-slash-music theme.

Exalted has none of that tone, so, Baiken functions without accusation just fine.

I'd say, based on absolutely nothing but my gut, that a particularly experienced or combat-focused Solar could defeat him one on one, but it wouldn't be an easy fight or a guaranteed victory.

LIkely. The whole thing about Southpaw Empress is that she could not only defeat Ahlat, but she could do so in a single turn.

last thread someone brought up martial arts, what are your favorite.

Snake has this weird thing for me where I kind of see it as the "Default" style that doesn't really inform or have expectations about your characters personality the way Tiger expects angry practitioners or Crane expects pacifist-scholars.

Single Point ad Ebon Shadow I like as well.

Too resource intensive to the point that you're going to spend all of your shit being able to field it, or you're going to be "That Guy" trying to get another player to make a character whose sole purpose is to fix your giant point sink every time it takes two steps down a dirt road.

It's almost like they recognize eratta is a needed fucking thing in an RPG, unlike "lol we'll never issue eratta for the core book, it'll never need it" Holden and Morke.

>Exalted has none of that tone
Then you need a better music selection.

I'd just play her as a Dawn, Supernal Melee. Seems like a pretty straightforward character, though you might want a custom artifact for her prosthetic.

Admittedly I'm not very familiar with Guilty Gear.

power armor modeled on a mimic octopus

Do you add your strength to the damage you deal with Silver-Voiced Nightingale?

>the fact that it's a FAA means that it costs Exp to build and repair.
The devs have clarified that restoring Health Levels is just a regular Major Project that consumes Silver Craft XP, not White Craft XP.

I have a serious question. It's not really a question of price, is it? There's no way you're going to be allowed to buy a fucking Warstrider on a starting PC.

You're either going to steal one or find one in a First Age tomb somewhere, and that's when Exalted goes from 'wandering swordsman' to 'oh shit, these guys have a nuke'.

Personally, I am glad he didn't.

Only one character having a warstrider is quite tricky I feel. It's best to make it a group effort with the dot cost you're gonna be sinking into this thing.

. Abilities of Craft 5 (artifacts), Lore, and Occult needed before getting the craft (First Age Artifice) ability. I think just flat going Craft (All nearly all artifacts ever) is a bit stupid myself, but feelings aside this a pretty hefty point dot investment for the beginning of game leading anywhere to 16-20 dots. I usually play my characters as high ability value characters at start and this would pretty much be all my abilities at 5 right here. Shit you're going to want another craft to get craft XP in the first place, so that's another but of resources needed. I recommend cooking, its an Craft XP machine.

- Materials equal to resources 4 just for routine maintenance. This is on top of the Greater Hearthstone (Manse 5) and the dots needed to pay for a Warstrider (5 dots). This is 14 merit dots required before you can do other merits to flesh out your character. I'd recommend someone else in your group cover the resources cost (Eclipse). Once your craft is up and running then something like Craft (Food) or Craft (Jewelery) can make you a steady supply of money from rich fat cats. The manse itself can also serve as the facility needed to maintain it if you do buy it at the start, so that's the tools/workshop requirement immediately slashed off.

- Warstrider Strength is determined by your own. This is less important, but you're going to need a strength 2 minimum. The Athletics specialty required is notable but really peanuts. I'd just try to aim for Strength 3 in game while trained. 8 XP for Strength 2 -> isn't terrible.

Big costs. But is it worth it? Considering Crusading Spear makes exploring the bottom of the ocean for ocean wrecks full of money, snapping enemy vessels like twigs, and bypassing the shitty sail system? Yes.

No, what I mean is that as a First Age Artefact, every repair roll must be preceeded by a Sorcerous Project, and that shits costs Exp that I could otherwise spend raising abilities and other things.

question about aftifact repair ratings in 2.5e

do they only really matter if the artifact breaks? is somebody with no craft or lore preform just assumed able to handle the regular mainanance offscreen unless it becomes a plotpoint then?

to be fair, if it were half as well written and clear as holdmork thought it was(and as the 3ed forum dickscuking initially claimed as well) it shouldn't need it.

it's just that nothing that wasn't actually playtested or uses natural language could ever be that perfect even by accident.

I feel like you're not meant to, but have nothing stated in the mechnics to back that up

>or you're going to be "That Guy" trying to get another player to make a character whose sole purpose is to fix your giant point sink every time it takes two steps down a dirt road.
That can be a problem if no one in your party is a crafter, even as his secondary focus.

which brings us back to

>every repair roll must be preceeded by a Sorcerous Project
If you're not spending White XP, I don't think you need Sorcerous Workings to do them, either.

You might need to use a Sorcerous Working and White XP to repair a completely junked Warstrider, but I don't think you need one to repair one that's just lost a few Health Levels.

Starting off with one is hard. Often it seems like a circle wide kinda thing to aim for as otherwise you'd need a shitton of specialization.

Getting them to work in combat remains one hell of an advantage, but its still better to get one in game I feel. By the time you're essence 3 you should have the tools and skill needed to easily take one. The only con is at that point you're throwing it to the whims of the ST.

So, any of you lot ever have a Solar character die? How'd that happen?

Well, the Grand Killstick was nicknamed that in 2e for a reason...

>prosthetic
If memory serves she has a small arsenal quite literally under her sleeve. From what I remember she has:
>grappling hooks
>a claw on a chain
>a kanabo on a chain
>a giant shuriken fan thing
>an urumi knockoff
>a small gunpowder cannon

I agree that it would count as an Artifact, but good luck statting all that shit.

Here's an honest question. How the hell are you going to maintain more than one Warstrider? Besides, do you REALLY need more than one? With one, you could take over a country or fucking impose a naval blockade.

This isn't really about who gets to pilot the Gundam, it's about "Hey, Realm. We're going to fuck your shit."

Wishful thinking, but page 244 of the core says otherwise.

If you have one per each member of the circle as an extreme example?

The biggest issues are the manses. If you have something such as Craft (Geomancy) or (Architecture) which allows allows the construction of manses, it will be an investment to say the least. Even if you found your warstriders, you're going to need some craft investment. I'd estimate around 12-15 craft charms in total. If you can power through the rolls you can get ample craft XP so that front is largely solved. Make one manse into your dedicated workshop to get production started, donate the others to areas in your kingdom. This will bolster the infrastructure of your kingdom by leaps and bounds, you can do this as you'll be using manses for the hearthstones only.

As for a Realm invasion, such war machines would be a very welcome force multiplier. The moment a sizable Solar kingdom declares war on the realm the Realm WILL stop what they're doing to kill you, even during open civil war if you're becoming too powerful. You'll not only be needing warstriders, but very potent NPC's such as other Exalts and massive amounts of men simply to prevent the DB's zerging you to death, warstrider or no. If your PC's are considered the strongest band of Exalts (usually the case with most exalted games) then have other circles protect you during downtime.

A single Warstrider may be able to impose a blockade, but the Realm has many naval trade routes and also toys of their own you'd need to deal with. This is before we get into armies led by DB houses. Crusading Spear of the Depths will fuck up realm ships fiercely, so consider it a strong contender if you lack a homemade Warstrider you make yourself like the Starmetal Stardust Reverie.

Do all this and you should be able to kick the teeth in on the realm.

I'm aware of how this is similar to 2e determinism and what not, but I think if you put this much work into any game then god help whomever is on the receiving end

Make the sleeve an artifact.
Stat out the gadgets as evocations.

>There's no way you're going to be allowed to buy a fucking Warstrider on a starting PC.
What shitty community do you circulate in that no ST is willing to do this?

No dumbass, the shit isn't just assumed to be handled off screen if your character can't handle it himself. Go to page six of Wonders of the Lost Age and start reading where it says Maintenance in the lower right corner. What's stupid is that there's no interval given for hours of use until maintenance is required.

It also says that you have to spend White XP, which is explicitly, by dev statement, not the case.

>is buyable within the system at char-gen
>HURR NO ONE WILL LET YOU START WIT IT!!!11!!!!1!!
No, no Mr. Retard, you see, if it's affordable at char-gen, you can buy it. Thats how the rules work. If your GM is being a cock, slap him.

Why does Adorjan laugh?

>I have a serious question. It's not really a question of price, is it? There's no way you're going to be allowed to buy a fucking Warstrider on a starting PC.

I'd allow it. For most players a Warstrider at character creation is enough rope to hang themselves. I might be wary if I thought they had the potential to be a fucking baby about maintenance and transportation but people like that are normally shit players with or without giant robots.

Spending XP (Even craft XP) just to actually be able to keep using the item that you bought does rub me the wrong way. But then, 3e's entire craft system rubs me the wrong way.

>I might be wary if I thought they had the potential to be a fucking baby about maintenance and transportation but people like that are normally shit players with or without giant robots.

I mean, the rules for that DO kinda suck.

Think it'd be inappropriate to make an upgrade of Spirit Stoking Elevation so that you can use White XP on those Magitech Sorcerous Projects?

This entire discussion is moot because Warstriders are still objectively worthless shit. sbood ym cheque

the maintenance panel is for when the artifact breaks and needs to be repaired, not just regular upkeep

A single Warstrider is capable of killing any number of mundane human troops, and doing so trivially, since the mundane troops can't put it into Initiative Crash, and battle groups can only do Health Level damage after they crash their targets.

True, but remember that disabling a Warstriders arm or leg forces the pilot to spend 5 initiative to get it working again. This could be used to bring it into initiative crash.

Gambits are special Decisive Attacks, and Battle Groups can't make Decisive Attacks.

My mistake, then. Couldn't you use a strategem instead? They already have an engage action that works similarly to a grapple gambit, which doesn't include rolling initiative.

They can take the "Engage" action which is a special withering attack gambit so I could see a war charm allowing your battle group to make a special other gambit like attack.

Are there any good War rewrites or expansions out there?

I was looking over the system again, and I feel like the Charm tree is small and has too many duds in it. I've always wanted to play a story of epic warfare in Exalted, but felt like that part of the system was half-baked and not quite up to it.

It's not a panel or a sidebar or whatever, it's a section of text. It explicitly states that maintenance must be undertaken to keep artifacts with a repair rating functioning, they don't need to be damaged they just need to be used to require the maintenance. But it doesn't make any mention whatsoever of how many hours of use require a new session of maintenance.

>Assload of free Health Levels and huge soak.
>Special freebie action that can break action economy with evocations letting you 100% use it against non-BG enemies.
>Evocation trees with several example being really fucking scary.
>Useless.

Alright sure.

Battlegroups are more or less shit out of luck against Warsriders. A single Exalted badass can be effective against a Warstriders, which is good, because Exalted isn't a mecha game and mechas should blow individual warriors out of the water.

And also the warstriders attacks are unblockable unless you have special abilites, which normal humans don't. And it gets two attacks per round against them
Like yeah a well built dawn can take on a huge amount of people, but once you get up past certain numbers the greater number of battle groups becomes a problem. A lone warstrider could take on like fifteen to twenty thousand mortal troops though. You have on you can actually use and honestly you can go out and conquer any old non supernaturally backed kingdom you want.

Well, Warstriders were supposed to be army killers anyway. So happy that it's still not a be all end all though, and that a single Exalt fighting one ff is feasible.

I'd like to see a White Reaper Stylist pilot a Warstrider, considering that those two things are both gearing towards taking out battlegroups.

Yeah, while a Warstrider can be good against a single combatant it's way better at fighting big things/armies and that's the intent. But people coming out saying they're trash is overkill.

>I mean, the rules for that DO kinda suck.

If you don't like the rules we can negotiate, if the drawbacks were fine until they *gasp* inconvenienced you then there's a bigger problem than the rules.

>Robert Vance, in a thread about Craft, after someone said that it wasn't playtested:
>Bit of trivia: it was playtested, but that fact was never made publicly known, for god-knows-whatever reason.
LOL. I think that might be the most directed dig he's made at Holdorke to date.

or of what that maintenance even is unless it's actually broken

Does creation have gods of death? or is that something that was *supposed* to just happen on it's own until the underworld mucked it up and so the closest thing would be a powerful ghost?

Reincarnation is seemingly an automated process, with no psychopomps or grim reapers. There are a few notable gods of different types of death. Bloody Hands oversee murder and Disease Spirits can oversee lethal illnesses.

I just retcon Warstriders completely out of my games. I don't like giant robots.

Saturn

So as an X-mas present for the Heaven's Reach game I'm in, I made five artifact space ships. I know only 1% of you may care about such a thing, but you could cannibalize some ideas for manses in vanilla Creation games at the very least.

docs.google.com/document/d/1QasCNUqOLzdGh8xtS6N9KZ9ypjsflllrbq7WzwJgDZU/edit#

With only one ship out of the five being Touhou themed I think I held back pretty well.

There are Soul Collectors, though, that are supposed to harvest the souls of the recent dead.

You need to engage in the craft system to repair a warstrider. It takes craft exp to do so...something you can't do unless you've done a heap of smaller projects first. So in a dangerous, life threatening situation where you need to get the warstrider back up and running...you better hope like hell the team crafter has been making enough teapots.

It's a really goofy situation.

I've been over this in previous threads, but if you make a set of specialized tools for the repairs in mind, something that is explicitly RAW a basic project you can do, and have some decent early tree charms with a decent rule you can easily get enough SXP for the repairs. IF you're the dedicated repair man then you really should just HAVE the SXP laying around most of the time.

I get the thing you're saying is goofy, but it's almost a white-room problem.

Fuck me, a decent roll* But the point is you only need 10 SXP something that a SINGLE project can get you with craft focus. If you don't have a craft focused person you should really find an NPC/Spirit/Ally of some sort to do it for you, who doesn't worry about the XP but needs to be kept around via other efforts.

The amount of Craft XP is not in practice a limiting factor for a dedicated Solar crafter. If you don't have a Solar crafter, do what suggets and get an ally to handle things.

The other white room part of this is that if the team crafter has to get it "back up and running" something has already gone catastrophically wrong.

A shortage of silver xp is more likely to mean you're not at optimal health levels than "I can't use my Warstrider!"

Exactly. It's not like it's all that hard to splurge on an Ally who can handle the Crafting, Resources and sorcery aspect of 'strider maintenance. Why would you ask several players to do it when you can get an NPC?

It's great for a crafter who can use the free craft exp do beat their wiener to the sound of hammers.

But like someone said up top, if you're only cool with the drawbacks of your robot when it NEVER hurts you then you probably don't deserve cool robots.

I care mate.

Well, I don't, but I'll still read it.

Really liked it. Patchouli's space ship was unclear at time about what could be possible with Sorcery actions. How is it meant to be played? Accruing sorcerous mote in the lab while piloting the space ship or something? Instructions unclear, master sparked my own dick.

The others are spot on and truly interesting.

I'd like an Artifact N/A spaceship from you, honestly. Something really broken.

It's a Marisa space ship actually.

As for sorcery two people can cast spells on it. The captain can cast spells if on the bridge (And make naval manuever rolls at the same time) while another person in the sorcerous lab can cast another spell. Meaning two powerful spell per turn could be launched at an enemy ship.

I did have plans for Artifact N/A's. One being the Blue Silver (Golden Age battleship) and the other being the Five Metal Shrike. Only the latter was somewhat planned out in my head, but some of the powers off the top of my head:

- Godspear functioned as Moonstone Cannon, capable of instantly destroying any mundane ship it hits. Capable of blowing up a planet.

- Speed charm of that Warstrider to travel around the galaxy insanely fast

- The force field upgrades Hull-Taming Transfusion, no longer needing to use HL's to absorb damage but rather motes. I was trying to balance this one.

- While it does have extremely impressive stats for a small ship, has no room for additional submodules.

Thanks mang.

>If you don't have a craft focused person you should really find an NPC/Spirit/Ally of some sort to do it for you, who doesn't worry about the XP but needs to be kept around via other efforts.

Honestly, that's generally a summation of the craft system as a whole. Best left to NPCs, as it's time consuming and kinda pointless unless you super duper focus on it. It's really not a secondary sort of thing.

>But like someone said up top, if you're only cool with the drawbacks of your robot when it NEVER hurts you then you probably don't deserve cool robots.

Alternatively: Someone could reasonably think that the drawbacks on the cool robots are too high to be reasonable without them 'Not deserving cool robots'. As you need to jump through an utterly staggering number of hoops for it.

Crafter solars I've seen often have like +100 silver XP by like session 8.

Crafting XP is largely a moot issue I find.

did summon the loyal steel only work with attuned artifact weapons in 1e? I could have sworn I remembered that but my 2e book says it works with anything

First off, since i'm playing Devils Advocate. I would let a player start with a warstrider.

There is a rule that says no Art 5's at chargen without ST permission.

"Any character
coming into possession of such an item will be defined as
much by ownership of it as by any other element of his
personality or legend, and as such, five-dot Artifacts may
only be purchased with explicit Storyteller approval." As per page 159 of the Core book.

I'm certain I will be called an autist for this.

Wot that guy said above - there's actually a rule about this. You don't get to start with Stormcaller or Volcano Cutter unless the ST is OK with it either.

I disagree with you, because I like being a craft guy. And I honestly don't agree with the people who have a huge hate boner for the system, though I'll admit it works best, like much of EX3 with an ST who works with you.

I've had no issue in my relatively short games so far. Heck my biggest issue so far has been me worrying about other scary things coming up so I didn't grab the "Craft XP for new crafts" charm as early as I should have. But that's a character that's also doing sorcery, some light social things related to the initiation I took and keeping a reasonable throwing ability up and other splashing of "not useless in combat" stuff. But that's me tending to like to have fingers in several pots, not the craft system's fault.

All that said, if you want a Warstrider but NO ONE in your game wants to craft, sure work out an NPC.

Warstriders are a big deal and up the "fuck mortals I'm the big dick" game even further than normal. Having one, by design, is a huge cornerstone of a game in which you have them. Them not being something you can prance around in constantly is one way the Devs have gone with this.

It's a fuckin tabletop roleplaying game, sure a lot of this is opinion based. As an ST myself, if my players wanted a Warstrider but weren't willing to even work out an NPC to do the repairs for them, I wouldn't let them have it. If you feel differently? Cut the rules. If you feel differently as a player? Find someone who will cut the rules. Can't find that ST? Maybe there's a reason.

>As an ST myself, if my players wanted a Warstrider but weren't willing to even work out an NPC to do the repairs for them, I wouldn't let them have it.
If they don't do that it'll break down quickly anyway. You'd get more story potential out of their stupidity than you would by denying it.

Haha yeah, that would be somewhat amusing. But I don't want them doing that then bitching and moaning because I won't "let up". MY players I'd trust with that, as in the people I actually play with. Randos who want to bitch and moan that there are big mean hoops to ownership can fuck off.

Do we know at all what Martial Arts styles are going into the DB book? Is it just the Dragon Styles?

White Veil is rumored to be one of them as well.

>Southpaw Empress build
Wuzzat?

> Killstick
Wuzzat?

>>Southpaw Empress build
>Wuzzat?

An early attempt at an optimised Brawl build from the Golden Age just after the leaks. It's a good demonstration of how explody Brawl gets, although as user mentions above Thunderbolt Attack Prana doesn't work that way.

>> Killstick
>Wuzzat?
Fan name for the Heavy class artifact weapons due to the fact that they're all basically just huge lumps of magical metal on a stick, no matter what they otherwise pretend to be.

A opposed to other artifact weapons not used to kill things?