/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
All I want for Christmas is a stolen Drac Marauder, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-19 - Still getting worked on & now has 21095 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YzWP-C8oDPw
youtube.com/watch?v=_ghf9z5KCl0
mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=294&l=ba7db48353889028dd6af7aaf0576719ea142da0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Taurian pride, periphery wide.

Would Clan regulars clusters that use vehicles mostly use Star League era tanks or more Clan made tanks?

A mix probably, heavily depending on the clan in question. Most clans seem to really disapprove of combat vehicles as a whole, so they'd probably use Star League leftovers and only fill them in with new stuff when the old stuff gets cacked. The few clans that are good with vees probably make new stuff as the whim takes them (look at the Hell's Horses, they have a bunch of tanks they make).

Xotl has not responded to these, the product of an imagination with too much time on its hands since I gave them to him months ago. Since I've heard nothing about it, I'm posting both weapons for all to see. 3A suggested a change to the fluff and mechanics, aiming more for TAG use than Artemis, but I can't find the rewritten fluff at the moment.

>Plasma-Charge SRM
>A new development from the Capellan Confederation, the Plasma-Charge SRM is heavily modified from a standard SRM, replacing the warhead and some of its fuel with a miniature single shot plasma rifle in an attempt to give the SRM increased vehicle elimination potential without relying on Inferno rounds. Difficulties in striking targets directly with the missile meant that Capellan designers added a modified Artemis IV guidance package to the P-C SRM, increasing accuracy at the expense of requiring Artemis IV and lower overall round count.

Plasma-Charge SRM
Range: 3/5/7
Ammo per ton: *.65 rounded down to the nearest whole number.
Damage: 1 + 1 Heat per missile up to maximum outside heat.
Notes: Artemis IV system required but gains no cluster bonus. If in a hostile ECM field, the SRM can launch as normal but at a +1 TH penalty. (ALTERNATE: SRM can launch as normal except with a +2 TH. If the target is TAGged, the P-C SRM ignores the Target's Movement Mod)

>second item in the next post

And the second ammo type

>Tracker LRMS
>A Periphery attempt to clone Streak LRMs without access to Clan technology and the added bulk that the equipment would require, Tracker LRMs come in two types: a single "dumb" round that has only basic guidance and a payload replaced with slightly radioactive paint or fluid, and standard LRMs that have a guidance package that can track those radioactive emissions. If the first round connects, until that paint is destroyed or washed away, the second type will almost always connect. Difficulties in storing the munitions as well as irregular access to the facilities needed to produce the LRMs means that the Tracker LRM is rare even among those groups that use it.

Tracker LRM:
Range: As LRM
Damage: As launcher size for Beta rounds, 0 for Alpha
Notes: Tracker LRMs must carry two ammunition types for maximum effectiveness, Alpha and Beta. If the Alpha round connects, Beta rounds fired at that target have a +2 on the Cluster table until 1d6 turns have passed or the location struck is destroyed. Otherwise, the Beta round acts as a Standard LRM with a -2 Cluster roll.

>Plasma-Charge SRM
These don't seem to do anything special to vehicles. Heat doesn't do anything special to them IIRC (admittedly, I don't know my vehicle rules too well). What's the point? Why would I use these instead of Infernos or even regular SRMs?

>Tracker LRM
Cool, but I have a question. Why are standard-fire Beta rounds objectively worse than normal LRMs (cluster penalty)? Don't see the point there. In order to take them, you're already at a disadvantage since you have at least a ton of ammo dedicated to Alpha rounds, which reduces your damage output by an appreciable amount and wastes turns trying to paint the target. Why not just make Beta rounds regular LRMs in all respects and let the disadvantage be having to take Alpha rounds to get a good benefit?

>P-C SRMs
They've been toned down significantly (previously doing 2d +1h), but technically they're treated as Infernos or at least the way I've been using them. Mostly it's a way to get the inferno effect without accidentally burning down 2/3s of the map.

>Tracker LRMs
First point, since this was going for official use, I deliberately avoided something that was a pure upgrade other than a fluffy limitation, plus the guidance system is designed to track the rads because reasons. As for the requirement for the Alpha ammo, nothing says the Alpha rounds have to come from the same unit, so I guess it's a ghetto Streak/SG LRM too.

>SRMs
Eh, still doesn't feel real impressive or worth taking. Maybe a little more heat, to make the heat more of a threat? 1 damage and 2 heat maybe?

>LRMs
Eeeeeeeh, making them just flat-out worse than normal LRMs doesn't make me feel great about them. You can still miss the to-hit entirely since apparently tracking rads doesn't help you hit targets and just making the cluster roll improve sounds like what Artemis IV does. Why not just take Artemis-enabled LRMs and call it a day? It's not like Artemis IV is a terribly complicated tech anymore.

THE PROCTOLOGIST HELD MY BUTTE.

>57050129
>Eh, still doesn't feel real impressive or worth taking. Maybe a little more heat, to make the heat more of a threat? 1 damage and 2 heat maybe?
Probably, but you're thinking a little too good. If an SRM-6 connects, that's 6 crit chances with the baseline rules, and 12 with yours, which is a bit much.

>Eeeeeeeh, making them just flat-out worse than normal LRMs doesn't make me feel great about them.
ReLs, most of the tech in FM:3145 ring a bell? Make gear too good and it won't pass muster. They're decent in numbers, if not great, and as a Periphery alt ammo, you'd actually see them use it.

What does /btg/ think of using the other types of units besides mechs?

Namely infantry and battle armor?

>that's 6 crit chances with the baseline rules
Gaining heat=crit chances? What are these, Tandem SRMs? If that's the case, 1+1 is probably fine, though I still don't see an incentive to take them over Infernos in 99% of situations.

>ReLs, most of the tech in FM:3145 ring a bell?
Does all of that being widely derided as garbage not worth the paper its printed on ring a bell? We shouldn't write new stuff to that level. Tracker LRMs have a reasonable downside in exchange for a marginal benefit that you can get better, easier, elsewhere already. There's no reason to preemptively nerf them into the ground out of the gate. You don't want to make the ReLaser of missile weapons, that's not what you should be aspiring to.

And on a personal note, you really denied me the (You), CA? Really? You hurt my feelings, man.

>Though I still don't see an incentive to take them over Infernos in 99% of situations.
Of course, they're a gimmicky alt ammo. It was something to give the Cappie player in my group something to question my sanity.

>We shouldn't write new stuff to that level.
No, but without actually getting a request for weapons from Xotl, I didn't want to hand over some really good gear or broken guns. There are rules about mech and equipment submissions after all. It's also a gimmicky alternate round that's PaF without being steam powered missiles

>And on a personal note, you really denied me the (You), CA? Really? You hurt my feelings, man.
Full disclosure: I am sick as shit and I'm doped up on enough decongestants and cold meds to make me unsure of what I'm actually posting. I'm sorry you didn't get your (You) though. Have two more for the road.

>Full disclosure
Don't sweat it, I'm just busting your balls man, as is done around here.

>they're a gimmicky alt ammo
Ok, see, I was coming at this thinking they were meant to be legit usable gear, not gimmicky wacky crap. Knowing that, I withdraw most of my criticism. If they're meant to be silly gimmicks, they're basically fine. You could probably weird up the LRMs a little more even, they're a little bland for gimmicks. But generally they're fine.

Infantry and BA are pretty deadly on maps with heavy cover or if you aren't packing proper countermeasures.

They're great if you're playing Periphery, since Mechs are otherwise unavailable to non-munchkin Periphery players.

fuck, is /btg/ back to this shit again?

>fuck, is /btg/ back to this shit again?

It's just that one guy, out to spoil everybody else's fun one post at a time.

epic cartoonist.

>epic cartoonist

Agreed.

I wonder, is that guy just trolling or is he legitimately that retarded?

Probably legitimately retarded trolling.

Sufficiently dedicated on the level of Sakurafish poster or else a complete jackass. Not exclusive. Also, I wonder what he thinks about the 3145 RATs having Clan mechs in the Taurian and Canopian tables.

Yes I know it's bad to rattle cages but it's funny.

So what rulesets should I bother learning? I'm REALLY new to the degree that my only mini is a Marshal my wife got for me because she knows I love giant robots.

I'd say start with Alpha Strike.

If you want more crunch then find the quickstart rues.

If you want even more crunch then get Total Warfare.

If you want to make custom mechs/units then TechManual.

MegaMek is a free Java based electronic classic battletech simulator. Play with it some too.

Well, you're going to find that most people play Classic Battletech, which you can learn by grabbing the Battlemech Manual out of the OP. It's somewhat complicated, but once you get a good grasp of the basic modifiers for movement, terrain, and range, games go by fairly fast. A few hours or so. Alpha Strike is basically "beer and pretzels" Battletech, so if you're looking for something that plays quicker, then grab the rules for that out of the OP. I think Classic is the better game myself, because I like being able to use all the additional rules at my leisure, but it's your call.

Honestly instead of all this I'd rather see a more usable improvement on Narc.

Is a pair of Gauss rifles (3 tons ammo) and an ERLL on a 75 ton mech excessive? Secondary weapons are 2 ML and a SPL

Yes, no mech should have 3 GRs

You playing Lyran?

its late user, go to bed.

SLDF

Australian. So both

>Australian. So both

He needs to lay off the zombie. Either that, or do *more* of it.

Always wondered why the aussies tend to be the biggest shitposters.

>Yes, no mech should have 3 GRs

Some mechs should, but they should have a bigger engine and dispense with other "extras" if they do.

If you had to live in a 3rd world country, you'd be mad too.

A 3rd world country being sold to soulless chinks and being filled with rapist niggers and dune baboons to be precise.

so Canada?

>tfw your fiancée leaves you three days before Christmas

How are the holidays treating you, fellow mechwarriors?

Rough times, user. Condolences.

It's my birthday, so that's good. Otherwise, just having fun. Finally sitting down with the full BT rule book to figure out what's up.

>Finally sitting down with the full BT rule book to figure out what's up.

Get to him. He can't be allowed to get off a message.

youtube.com/watch?v=YzWP-C8oDPw

Man, they look so ugly.

>Man, they look so ugly.

What, you never had the Plastech miniatures?

These look ugly too, yes.

Today's the day of that PGI v HG case potentially getting dismissed (not happening, imho). Anyone keeping tabs on that?

>Anyone keeping tabs on that?
I think most of us get our news on this front from /btg/ since we have a few people keeping tabs on it for us. But yes, we're all interested to see how this goes (and I think we're all hoping for a dismissal).

This is what I meant to say. I would be curious to see the full record sheet for the mech was talking about. Also I totally misread 3 tons of GR ammo as 3 GRs. Still 2 GRs plus extras is too much on any thing less than 90 tons.

>I think we're all hoping for a dismissal).

I'm not. I dearly hope HG win so the Battletech property will have to divorce itself from its stolen sources once and for all

The sculptor probably meant for the plastic Valkyrie to be getting ready to take to the skies using its jump jets, but it just looks like it's taking a dump. Still, I suppose it's better than cardboard standups.

>This is what I meant to say.

I was *so* interested in stacking this thing with armor like an Atlas, but really, it could've had a 300 VLAR, a bigger gyro, and three medium lasers (the laser in the head was *supposed* to be a pulse laser) if I dumped all the little pop guns and reduced the armor to 13 tons. It'd *still* have better armor than a Cyclops.

>I would be curious to see the full record sheet for the mech was talking about.

Me too. I think he owes us that.

Eh, I'd love to see both PGI and HG hit the bricks.
Taking one out is still acceptably but the scenario where PGI kills off HG and then Japanese storm in and kick PGI in the curb. It's funny but both HG and PGI are currently doing stuff that is de-facto illegal as fuck, the actual lawsuit basically amounts to "Yes, we are practicing illegal activities, BUT you are not the ones eligible to sue us over it."

It's a bizarre situation.

I'd pay good fucking money to have PGI axed.

So I know this isn't /btg/ related, but since you guys are pretty awesome, are any of you aware of the new malware/ad issues that the site is facing now? It's got me a bit paranoid that I'm going to have to look for greener pastures.

If we had to choose one, HG has way more sins to answer for, imo. PGI just made a subpar game and screwed anyone unfortunate enough to be a Founder over. HG has been a specter over the head of Battletech for decades.

I still do not get the hate that PGI has, sure it is not the greatest game in the world, sure it is basically a freemium game. But the vitral i see against them is way way too much when there are better targets out there and their sins are not that great

I hate them because not only did they thourougly disappoint me, they also bring shame to my homeland.

>are any of you aware of the new malware/ad issues that the site is facing now?
I am aware of it. Thanks to /g/, I found some solid defense programs (AdGuard for the ads, Kaspersky's full version for PC scans and cleaning). So far, no concerns.

>I still do not get the hate that PGI has
I don't really either. PGI is just a normal video game company, doing what they have to in order to make money. Not really anything worth special hatred.

>vitral
It's spelled vitriol, user.

Why on earth would you opt to put the Gauss ammo in the arm when you can easily swap an Endo crit for it in the torso?

Yeah I hit up /g/ too; uBlock, the custom filter script, and I have Malwarebytes and Avast already. I wonder if I should switch off Avast though; it's served me well for years but it's also gotten a lot bigger and more annoying as time's gone on.

>I don't really either. PGI is just a normal video game company, doing what they have to in order to make money. Not really anything worth special hatred.

So is EA, Hasbro and what-not.

With Hasbro, yes, I don't really hate them either. They're just lame. I don't hate businesses for doing their thing, I do hate businesses for going the extra distance to super fuck people over, which is what EA does. Battlefront 2, for instance, didn't need to be a lootbox-stravaganza that treats its players like shit in order to make millions of dollars, the words "Star Wars" on the box would have done that already, but EA decided to screw everyone anyhow. That's why we hate EA and not PGI, since PGI doesn't really go out of its way to rape the playerbase.

Ohhhh no. EA is a special kind of evil.

>PGI doesn't go out of its way to rape the playerbase
lol it's like you've never played MWO before

>goldhunting
The best gold (and only one) I ever saw was an Urbie. Hilarious.

That was optional, you dumpster fire of retardation. PGI doesn't rape you to just basically play the game, the way EA does. You can get everything necessary to play the game for fucking free. Case in point: I've never paid it money and can play just fine.

>Scorch
>DeathStrike

This a million times.

I could literally rephrase that Battlefront 2 rant in MW:O events and it asked about a 100 times more money than anything EA has even considered asking of people.

EA deserves a special spot in hell. PGI definitely deserve to be one of their inmates.

Iunno at least PGI isn't expecting you to first shell out the price for a full game first.

EA doesn't even have enough shame to not do that.

Don't worry, you'll see the light when PGI fucks up MW5. They won't be able to shoehorn microtransactions in it but it'll be a shitty broken game.

There's plenty of shit PGI has done over the years that EA wouldn't do even in their wildest dreams because it's so profoundly retarded even they know better.

They've earned their place among the worst developers still alive as of 2017 and I'm dumbfounded how could anyone with the faintest shreds of brain matter and human decency actually defend them.

Let's not forget their involvement in this abortion;
youtube.com/watch?v=_ghf9z5KCl0

You want to upload something that I don't have to download? Like an image?

How's this?

Is a 48 damage alpha strike acceptable for a 75 ton mech or is my weapons payload too light?

That depends on the range increments of the weapons involved, and how often you can alpha. Three cERPPCs and an micro pulse laser that you can fire nonstop isn't bad. 16 micro pulse lasers is horrible.

Alpha strike damage is rarely a suitable yardstick for a 'mech's efficiency.

>16 micro pulse lasers is horrible
What if they're on a light mech?

Dual Gauss/10.

Energy Piranha/10.

anyone who plays knows this to be true.

>MWO staple
I have not a single clue what you're referencing, there's only one clan 35 tonner that can run a 315XL and it's the Jenner IIC.
But the most E hardpoints it has is 6 (3E in each arm) for the IIC-A.

You have a point sir, but he did specify that it was a 75 ton mech, and that is what I had in mind when I made that statement.

I keep seeing these posted; is this just a modeling project or is it a miniature project?

It's not a 'Mech that exists, user. It's a custom with a cheeky name.

I hate the Arctic Cheetah. I hate it so much.

Looks great. When can I buy one and where from?

>there's no 2E ACH RT
Fuck
mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=294&l=ba7db48353889028dd6af7aaf0576719ea142da0

That's Alex posting renders of the official sculpts, of course HG is currently blocking some of them from entering production, as usual.

Gotta love Alex and gotta hate Harmony Gold. Sounds like business as usual.

>16 micro pulse lasers is horrible.
Fight me faggot.

Sentinel373's 3d sculpting work to create the miniatures. He posts pictures of the final version on his DA site.

So what's the big draw of a cGauss Rifle over a cERPPC? Heat management?

Basically nothing? Since DHS exist, there's really nothing making cGRs better than cERPPCs.

Heat and crits. Seven clan DHS take up a lot more room than a Gauss Rifle.

Having two of one and one of the other is better then three of a kind, generally

Ahhh, the Nip take on the mech designs. The Crab and Wyvern are both interesting takes on their designs.

The old intro box set with 24 mechs is never coming back, right?

;_;7

No. You'll take your overpriced and unbalanced box set of eight, and you'll like it.

>Ahhh, the Nip take on the mech designs.

I mean, the whole point of it was to make sure nothing looks like it does in international Battletech because that's their and their colleagues' illegally used designs.

The guys making these additions to the roster are simply well aware of the fact.

>their and their colleagues' illegally used designs.
>illegally used
That was before any of the lawsuits kicked up, user. IIRC, the new art for the Japanese market was because there was already too much recognition built up in the Unseen in their Macross identity and they didn't want to confuse possible buyers. (I *think* there may have been an official Macross-based game on the Japanese market as well, just to compound the recognition problems even further, but I don't know for sure.)

They wouldn't care about foreign lawsuits. Also remember the MW1 port/upgrade to the PC-98 and X68000 had Unseen redesigns that looked similar to the originals.

I don't know the details but the gist of it is that MW1 port made redesigns of the robots in question for the game whereas JBT didn't base anything on the existing BT stuff. Given the circumstances, they may not have even been aware of the fact the game uses the Japanese art and only got a jig on a few robots with distinctive weaponry.

Why don't people ever ask more questions regarding this from Weisman is kind of beyond me.