Discussion of the Unsleeved Media Debacle

The last thread went to shit, but I wasn't satiated, especially since I actually would like to have a (hopefully non-cancerous) discussion about the matter. Was the lifetime ban justified? What about the MTGO issue? How will this reflect MtG in the future, if at all? Etc.

My personally opinion is that the duration of the ban was not justified. The company is fully within their right to "punish" Jeremy for poor behavior, even if I do not think he is deserving, yet a lifetime ban seems far too harsh when actual cheaters are only treated with one/two-year bans in general. As for MTGO, if the company does deem it fit to remove him from their system, then he should be given sufficient warning so that he can sell his digital products if he so chooses. Alternately, he should be refunded for all products not sold.

As for the future of MtG, I doubt this will have any lasting impact, though it does leave me nervous for the prospects of the community as being too coddling. Adults play this game, and they should be treated as such; not children who cannot handle being insulted. Will my fears be realized? I don't know for sure.

I'd be glad to hear Veeky Forumss thoughts on the matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mLcHk1cfoMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NIh3ykLBzOM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For me, the question is simple. Whatever your opinion on Jeremy/Unsleaved media is, whatever you personal politics are, just ask your self this:

Do you really want a company being the morality police for the people who play the game.

That makes since to me.

I'm afraid I don't follow.

Don't bring your disgusting fetishes into this you watch wearing filth. I don't care how you tell time in the privacy of your in home but it's an imposition to make me deal with it at the game store.

he deserved it. By his own admission and people that started actively avoiding him at events and tournaments for his "edgy" comments.

That’s not the question.
The question is:
Do you want the people who make the game deciding who represents their product in media?

And yes
I do
Because it’s their fucking game.

For life though? People can change: give him a two year ban, see how he changes his tune then welcome him back. How can cheaters be allowed to return yet standoffish players turned aside?

Besides, are they avoiding him becuase the don't like him or becuase of criminal harassment? There are people I avoid becuase I do not enjoy spending time with them, but I would not dream of banning them; it's far too extreme.

They guy probably deserved a slap. This is a bit much, and I don't like the game store becoming a political minefield. I come to play Magic, not disagree (or agree) with someone's politics.

He had sufficient warning. Wizards said they were going to be “taking action” a week before they banned him and half of MTG Twitter correctly surmised that the action would include banning Jeremy. It wasn’t a long bow to draw, and if he weren’t a fucking idiot he’d have sold out when Wizards said “We’re looking into the situation and we’ll be taking appropriate action”.

nobody cares above the unsleeved sperg. suspending travis, however, was a little too far - it was a private facebook group and the shit that got posted in there wasn't particularly harmful. pro players are making these kinds of jokes at every tournament, and probably "bullying" other people just as bad. sets a really bad precedent

>Was the lifetime ban justified?
No, I don't think so. Wanting someone banned for mean tweets and/or because you disagree with their opinion is stupid. It's even dumber for a company to step in and ban people because a hate mob demands it.

>What about the MTGO issue?
It was obvious that this was gonna happen sooner or later. MTGO is a piece of trash anyway.

>How will this reflect MtG in the future, if at all?
Probably not all that much. Some people might leave be it the IRL game or MTGO but it's probably not gonna be a significant amount.

No one deserves to get banned because of a few mean things they said. How about not following the guy on twitter?

I try to avoid certain people too but I don't think they should be banned. Nothing wrong with that.

Banning for life though? I don't see how they can defend that, no matter how provocative he was. He never committed a discernibly criminal act.

he never apologized for his behavior and instead doubled down on insulting them. Not only that he kept "trolling" the people that tried to avoid him.
He actively tried to annoy and anger people in the community. I would be fine with that if he tried to improve. but he hasn't. His first response to the ban is to threaten Wotc, saying he has dirt on them.
He is a horrible person, and I can't believe you are defending him.

There is precedent for lifetime-length bans and Jeremy has shown form in this regard before (there was another shitstorm involving him around GP Vegas ‘15, he said he’d reform and change his ways... ha fucking ha, here he is again), I expect they took that into account when deciding on the ban.

what do you not get? He actively went up to people at tournaments/events that no longer wanted anything to do with him and proceeded to "troll" them.
There's a point where it's joking around, but he actively overstepped it, and hasn't apologized for it, and has continued to insult people.

Wait, appropriate action means "you have one week to sell your electronic data before we reclaim it" now? I don't want to actually put words in your mouth so could you clarify? As much as grognards need to be bullied now and then this doesn't feel quite okay.

I can'f believe you want people banned for minor shit like that. You are insane.

If I treated people like that at my LGS I’d be banned. It’s not hard to NOT be a massive faggot.

you are insane for not realizing this guy actively annoyed/angered others on purpose. He was a real life troll, thinking he was funny.
The thing is he no matter what people told him, he wouldn't stop. So now, he has been banned from events.
There is nothing wrong with banning people who show no signs of reform and continue their bad behavior.

I don't think I am defending him; I already stated that a ban of some duration is justified. My issue is with the idea of lifetime bans and that Wizards is bowing to the wishes of hatemobs.

Besides, "horrible person" he is not. Whether it is intentional or not, "annoy and anger" does not make some immoral, it makes them worthy of ignoring. I can't believe you think being edgy makes him worthy of such treatment.

>He is a horrible person, and I can't believe you are defending him.
You came across as very reasonable until this bit, FYI. You're more believable when you don't get personal. Just a tip. Wizards needs to hire better shills.

The appropriate action was the banning. Which, again, was deserved and widely predicted.
If he had half a brain, he’d have seen that coming and sold out.
Also, EULA.

You do realize it’s extremely easy to be amoral, right?

And, yes, being a dick is literally amoral.

I avoid homosexuals at events
Does that mean we should ban them
Plz say yes

>If I treated people like that at my LGS I’d be banned.
Like what?

>faggot
Watch your word usage please. You don't want to get banned, do you?

Being an asshole on twitter doesn't justify a ban and you are insane for minor shit like that.

>edgy
there is friendly joking around. But if someone tells you to stop and you ignore them, then you are just being an asshole.

Why would anyone assume a ban of this nature? Is there precedent for it?

So, you want WoTC to start playing moral arbitrator on who is allowed to talk about their product? From what I understand Jeremy is not, nor ever was an official spokesperson for their brand, simply a guy who commentated on what he likes.

>The appropriate action was the banning
No, it wasn't. People shouldn't be banned for having different opinions or being rude.

he was being an asshole at events/tournaments, from which he was banned from.

This, sure this might be 4 Chan where this shit slides more but come on don't tell me the whole world has become this place where you can't have a negative opinion and express it in a mocking fashion

please point to the part of their EULA where is states "being a dick on your personal, not associated with MtG in anyway social media accounts, will result in a perma-ban"

Dude acted like he was an user on Veeky Forums but attached his real name to what he was saying. That's just stupid.

No you wouldn't
Go into your lgs and say "I don't think the community sound be overly involved in some girl with big tits playing dress up, stop being emotionally manipulated by her jugs and bad acting"
You say that, which is worse than what Jeremy said and if you get kicked out I'll eat my hat

He got in trouble for this shit before, and they let him off easy because he promised not to do it again. Turns out his promise was a lie, because he went right back to doing it again.
And yes, they told him ahead of time that they were going to be taking action this time. I don't know what he expected was gonna happen, except maybe another exchange of a promise to stop, for a slap on the wrist? He doesn't seem like he's too bright.

>he was being an asshole at events/tournaments
Do you have any proof? Thats not what this is about. He got banned for tweets. You completely misunderstood this entire issue.

I thought this thread was supposed to be an honest discussion.

So you would like them to be allowed to stamp out anyone who says anything unfavorable or negative (even if it's true) about their product? Even Tolarian Academy guy frequently gives modern MtG's shit-tier products a scathing review, I don't imagine for one second Hasbro wouldn't love to be able to force him to say only nice things or be permanently banned from talking about Magic.

i think what rudy did is more interesting DESU

market manipulation

youtu.be/mLcHk1cfoMQ

Asshole or not, they struck him with a lifetime ban from all events and did not provide him sufficient time to sell his possessions on MTGO.

"Being pleasant" should not be required of players, so long as they are not violent, do not cheat, and can keep themselves clean. It's an added bonus; people who are not pleasant do themselves a disservice, or are you so childish that mud-slinging actually gets under your skin? Let him spin his wheels without any following, don't show your hand as being impotent.

>Do you want the people who make the game deciding who represents their product in media?
Well... No. They should pick their own, official, representative, of course. But as for community representatives...? No, that should not be up to them.

>Why would anyone assume a ban of this nature?
Because if WOTC is going to take action, it’s pretty much the only thing with any teeth they could actually do.
>Was there precedent for it?
Yes. Go look at the list of banned players.

you haven't seen the tweets have you? His tweets of his mtg associated account where he is at a tournament and he tweets "going to troll this guy"?
also he has admitted those people actively avoid him now on his youtube. He was given a warning a long time ago from Wotc, which he ignored, and now he has been banned. nothing suprising.

I would care more about Jeremy if he wasn't a shit-posting retard
I would care more about MtG if the jewing of the value speculators didn't cause WotC to enforce the reserved list
I would care more about the community if I did not play almost exclusively with friends and senpai
so they can all go burn in hell with white-hot iron dicks inside their every orifice

That’s your own shitty opinion. Almost every competitive game on the planet has rules about conduct, and while they get stretched it’s only for the most profitable games/players and not for spergs trying to make a buck on drama.

And “not being nice” is different than being a dick, and you are trying to say they are the same.

That is ultimately what got him kicked was the fiasco around prominent YouTube channels calling for him to be banned due to his "two year long" harassment of some cosplayer
Where the fuck have you been?

>"Being pleasant" should not be required of players, so long as they are not violent, do not cheat, and can keep themselves clean.
Agreed 100% I like that Magic is a game that can coax even the most fucked up grognard doritobeard to come out of their shell and be a little social. Even if they're a bit mean while they're getting used to the idea of human interaction it's still a good start. In general we should not be encouraging punishing social malajustment. This is probably the root of that "you sjws have become ironic bullies of nerds" argument too.

Magic is not for any one group of people. It really is for everyone, and that means accepting people and not catering to their petty dislike of each other.

do you even know what he said? That is a very tame version not a worse one.

I saw all the ''proof'' and I'm pretty sure there was nothing like that among it. It was all just about that cosplayer and some pepe images.

dude, people actively avoided him at tournaments and events What he said was definitely not just mud-slinging. He was actively trying to get under people's skin.
I would be far more compassionate if he showed any signs of remorse. Instead he has doubled down on the insults.

>And “not being nice” is different than being a dick, and you are trying to say they are the same.
[[Talmudic reasoning intensifies]]

I love rudy, the damn madman pulled it off so well.

He didn't even say tits
Mine was way more vulgar

really dude? Then watch his video where he goes over the "proof" again.

Yeah really. Can you post it?

Really dude? You really think he said it this way? Watch the video again. He had a lot more to say than just this.

Go on enlighten me
Cause according to his own video that's what he said

>Was the lifetime ban justified?
Absolutely. I think Hambone's vids were hilarious, but theres only so many times you can claim people are child molesters in a public forum before people stop laughing and start holding you accountable, especially when your causes one of their favorite publicity stunts to quit the community for good (whether or not sje was retarded for doing so is another conversation).
>What about the MTGO issue?
Even more justified than the DCI ban. You have literally 0 legal right to anything you purchase on MTGO and it's the exaxt same for every single digital platform since even before Steam. You purchase the privelege of using the service, not an actual product.
>How will this reflect MtG in the future, if at all?
One of two things will happen. A) Fucking nothing and everybody move on in a week or so or B) Hambly-fags and alt-right shitters will pulm the victim card and throw shit at Wizards and Hasbro making them look like the good guys rather than an uncaring corporate giant and will actually increase good will. No matter what side of the political spectrum you're on it's hard to justify making the kinds of vids he usually did. I'm actually surprised he has a /pol/ following to be honest, he's been acting pretty textbook SJW beyond his political views. Asking for patreon handouts crying about people being mean to him, etc.

Personally I just can't wait till people stop shitting up the board with this crap, nobody cares about your e-celebs and unless I start posting vids about how Wedge touched my cousins peepee I don't think this will ever impact my MTG experience.

>but theres only so many times you can claim people are child molesters in a public forum before people stop laughing and start holding you accountable, especially when your causes one of their favorite publicity stunts to quit the community for good (whether or not sje was retarded for doing so is another conversation).
You should at least inform yourself before you voice your opinion on a topic. That's not what happened at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=NIh3ykLBzOM

Well, it’s one of the things that happened. Ham tossed a lot of shit and it’s hard to keep track, but that’s one of the things he did.

if i go on my public twitter and facebook and start shit talking the people i work with i would not be surprised if i get fired.

if i go on my public twitter and facebook and start shit talking the other patrons of my LGS and the employees, i would not be surprised if im banned from my LGS.

so if i go on facebook and twitter and start shittalking other prominent members of a community and the developers of something, why would i be surprised when im banned from that community.

That is absolutely something that happened, like I said I ACTUALLY follow his stuff, have since WotC fucked him with that preview card like 2 years ago. Watching him go from actually maling cogent arguments to throwing random shitfits on twitter has been hilarious. It sounds like you just heard about the Sprinkles thing and only joined the fun recently. Sorry you missed some good shit.

"according to his own video"
Sure, he's trustworthy....right?

Difference is getting banned from a card game because other content creators don't like your content is laughable at best
The only thing he did wrong was to raid a speech wedge gave to call him.... Fat...
Personally I'd call him a fag first but wherever

>if i go on my public twitter and facebook and start shit talking the people i work with i would not be surprised if i get fired.
He doesn't work for wizards and this is not about getting fired from wizard.

>f i go on my public twitter and facebook and start shit talking the other patrons of my LGS and the employees, i would not be surprised if im banned from my LGS.
Thats completely different. What the hell?

>so if i go on facebook and twitter and start shittalking other prominent members of a community and the developers of something, why would i be surprised when im banned from that community.
Depends on how you define shittalking but I don't think someone should get banned for voicing their opinion.

Until proven otherwise

Please point out the exact minute. I'm either blind or you are bullshitting me.

For fucks sake FUCK OFF.

I get that you all have no friends, I don't give the slightest fuck about your politics. Either play magic or take it to /pol/. You shitters are here every day, go do something you enjoy instead.

I don't understand how any of you can be on the side of banning someone for LIFE for mean tweets on the internet and critical (albeit inflammatory) videos when cheaters are banned for one or two years and felons aren't banned from attending official events.

Absolutely ludicrous.

This isn't a political issue this this a WOTC issue
It belongs here

but i think someone calling someone a pedo, and harassing others, and inciting harassment does

No, that is not what happened. He once said the guy has a ''pedo smile''. How the hell is that worthy of a ban?

Jeremy dragged Breitbart into this. Fucker is gonna ruin himself.

he did many things wrong, he even admits it, but he just calls it banter and shitposting

Sure, after /pol/ fucks off and we can have a reasonable discussion about it. For now, mid raid, we can't have nice things, and if you don't understand you're part of the problem.

The only one who is shitposting here is you, though. Looks more like you are the problem.

Nigger it's obvious you just jumped on the bandwagon. He's been harassing members of tge community for over 2 years non-stop. I know because it's hilarious to me and I'm subbed to his youtubes and twitter, have been for 2 years. If you talk shit for TWO FUCKING YEARS STRAIGHT, get told to stop and then DON'T, yes. You should be banned. FFS he STILL hasn't stopped after the fucking ban! Events he's gone to had to hire more security because theybwere afraid of his followers getting together and starting shit. At least do a LITTLE research before talking about an issue nigger.

>Jeremy dragged Breitbart into this
I have a hard time believing Jeremy has that kind of sway
>Mid raid
Yeah I'm sure this thread that's getting a few posts every 10 min is a raid thread pull your head out of your ass

In theory, ye, it is a Veeky Forums issue

But in reality, these threads are just trojan horses designed by /pol/ so they can kill MtG, turning Veeky Forums into another /tv/ in the process

Saying someone has a pedo smile once doesn't warrant a ban.

>harassing others
Never happened.

>inciting harassment
huh?

But user we have lots of friends. We have each other. Come be friends with us.

Holy shit, you're right

Maybe the raid is finally over

Thank fuck

>he did many things wrong
Aside from getting a guy to call a fat guy fat, what did he do?
As far as I can tell it's that, make fun of a cosplayer and nothing else
Tell me if you know honestly I'd like to know if he's really that big of a douche

10:44
he says, he want's to troll a dude, who is one of the people who tried to avoid him.

>He's been harassing members of tge community for over 2 years non-stop.
That never happened. Stop lying please.

Do some research.

You are insane lol

i dont agree with the length of the ban, but its obvious they are just using him as a warning to others

the length of the ban is retarded, and i wouldnt be surprised if they eventually just secretly lower the time frame or something, but i could only see that happening if he shut his mouth for a while

Dude
That post is straight /x/ tier conspiracy reasoning

OP here; that's hollow criticism. You can't avoid a discussion pertinent to this game by claiming /pol/. If you really aren't interested just hide the thread.

you do know that people avoid him at tournaments like he is a leper right?

>I know you are but what am I
Hmm, methinks you don't post on this board and should fuck off.

It's like three people samefagging over and over again. It only becomes a problem when people stop telling them to fuck off because then new posters get one side of a story and completely miss the context.

Sure man come play edh over beers. I just built anafenza hatebears and reanimator.

>Nuh uh, I am extremely uninformed about this event and you are 100% wrong because you're unwilling to dig through actual years of old tweets and deleted youtube vids to explain to me everything I missed.

This is exactly why you Hambly-fags aren't going to change anything, you don't even know what fucking happened.

fuck off, stop spamming these threads.

I try to avoid a lot of people
That doesn't mean the tolarian guy should be banned

>OMG Have confirmed fellow deplorable @guy will also be at GP Vegas! My mind is racing with amazing troll opportunities
With a simpsons picture attached. How could anyone ever take this seriously?

Oh and he called the other guy ''his friend''. I don't know if that's true but there you go.

Nice buzzwords /pol/. Next time don't link the fucking thread.

I'll be happy to talk about it after a week of no one posting about it. Until then, just like the curved card and proxy threads, you're just being twice the shitlord I could ever be.

>Hambly-fags
I have no idea what this means
>Uninformed
I only saw his video and a video by some guy named count dankilla that was like an hour of content between the two
You got something to add or not, if not I'm going to assume I have the evidence I need to say he didn't do anything to deserve a ban

>Make claim
>can't provide any proof whatsoever
>lol look I'm the informed one!!!
Okay? You have obviously no clue what happened.