Would MTG be better if you were only allowed 1 copy of a card in your deck?

Would MTG be better if you were only allowed 1 copy of a card in your deck?

I.E singleton standard

Nah, it would be just inconsistent as fuck. Only reason Commander is fun is that its supposed to be janky as hell

No because then you wouldn't have enough lands.

I like the way you think, but I think it'd be more trouble than good. It would essentially boil down to "who has more tutors?" and "in the absence of tutors, who's going to draw into their bomb first?"

we should do:
a format "like" blizzstone (I know) and higher rarity cards have a restriction. if pushing a "one mythic only per deck" could make wizards drop this awful idea?

I would like if it was restricted to copies of a card:
4 for each common
3 for each uncommon
2 for each rare
1 for each mythic

Isn't this just EDH?

What I want is two things:

1. Implementation of Duels style rarity-based staggered limits in normal Magic (one mythic, two rares, three uncommons, four commons, unlimited basic lands) and
2. return to 40 card decks for constructed (most people don't know this, but in the beginning constructed decks were 40 card minimum, not 60)

I believe these two would have a great number of beneficial effects to Magic: lowering the cost of playing, keeping WotC more honest (all staples have to be common or uncommon), etc.

The card pool gets larger every year and there are a number cards that have had 1 or more effective reprints, if the max deck size were to be reduced to 50 cards consistency may not be as bad as you think. Playing a singleton format will also reduce the number of cards on the banned list as a single OP card will have less impact.

no, you still have cards that allow you to fish out specific cards out of your deck and a lot of combos dont need you to have multiple copys of the same card, while at the same time it would fuck over a lot of decks that arnt extreamly OP (blue would die, a lot of red would die, most of green would die)

In every format, any semblance of skill will be destroyed, turning into 'who drew their good shit first' entirely. Attempting to play around what your opponent has will be near-impossible because what your opponent has will be so varied and unpredictable. It only works in EDH because EDH is intended to be variable as hell and gives you some consistency in the form of your general.
It will make Magic cheaper though. Mostly due to killing Magic, but it'll be cheaper.

>turns into who drew their good shit first.
That's not entirely true, though. There are a large number of redundant effects at the same mana cost. Llanowar Elves/ Elvish Mystic/ Arbor Elf/ Birds of Paradise for example. In singleton formats, there's enough consistency to avoid the classic Draft/Sealed issue of just sticking a bomb first and winning the game.

I don't think singleton restrictions in the standard format would be a good idea. The card pool is too small and any sense of consistency would be gone. It would play as a worse version of limited.

Singleton in one of the eternal formats could work as the card pool is much larger, but even then I would drop the max deck size down to around 40 to increase the consistency so that games don't fall completely into chaos.

Not in standard, which is the fucking thread.

>I want instant combo decks with maximum efficiency
No.

no, there would be a lack of consistency. EDH can get away with it because it has consistency in the commander and there is a wide enough card pool to get whatever you need.

>Singleton
>deckbuilding contraints based on power level of cards put in it.

What you people are asking for already exists and is called Canadian highlander.

>a number of cards that have had 1 or more effective reprints
The cards that fall under that category are generally cookie cutter stuff that doesn't have any place in Constructed formats. There is no Snapcaster Mage versions 1, 2 and 3. Nor Tarmogoyf versions 1, 2 and 3. etc.

>in the beginning contstructed were 40
well, once they introduced a minimum
Originally an 8 card Channel-Fireball deck was allowed within the rules. They introduced the 40 minimum to prevent that.

This is better imo, along with reinstating complexity at lower rarities.

IF they would reinstate complexity at lower rarities in such a situation.

That’s what Magic Duels did, and I didn’t mind it at all back when I was playing it.

MTG would be better if they had a print on demand service or an extra product to go along the main ones that consisted of reprinted old cards.

They could even redesign them with new art and the new front

Canadian Highlander is janky fun. 40 card Highlander is sorta consistent and extremely fun. Neither works well in standard. You kinda need the larger card pool for Highlander decks.

Complexity, or power?
Something doesn't need to be complex to be strong. Ancestral Recall could be an NWO friendly common, after all, it's a very simple effect

it hurt deck consistency and resulted in decks just jamming a bunch of the same mythics because they are prevented from running more of the cards that actually fit their decks.

No.
Decks should have point-buy totals of some kind like Warhammer.
Can only have so many rares in your deck.
That would also be shit, but whatever.