Space Habitat Design

I've been thinking about a space station setting a lot, recently. I like the idea of a hollow spheroid like pic related, featuring a central sun like in Pelucidar, and radiation shielding made of ice on the outside. The whole thing would spin for artificial gravity, which would differ a lot from the inside (people can fly toward the center) to the outside (you can train super soldiers in high gravity underground area).
The temperature would also be much higher inside than outside, but I struggle with the kind of weather one could observe in there, for instance. I also wonder about the dimensions of the whole thing, the rotational speed, and wether or not it could be a generation ship, or inside an hollowed out comet. So I thought I'd have a comfy Christmas brainstorming session with you, fine gentlemen of Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hingjP-BmvA
youtube.com/watch?v=RaPtq8F2hUc
medium.com/space-anthropology/kalpana-one-318f4e3bef40
awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

have a cute space super soldier training in her high gravity swimming pool

maybe the station could be orbiting a mars-like/post-apocalyptic colony world like in Gunnm?

here is a map

shit, wrong pic

this space habitat is really cool
>The Kalpana One structure is a cylinder with a radius of 250m and a length of 325m. A walk around then etire circumference would be about 1600 meters or one mile. By spinning at 2 revolutions per minute, people living inside would experience what would feel like normal Earth gravity. This scale could comfortably house about 3000 inhabitants at a reasonable density.

here is a nice video presentation:
(cringy intro ends at 0:23)
youtube.com/watch?v=hingjP-BmvA

here is a bigger city-sized station, looks like a Stanford torus or something

some ringworld i guess

here is a semi-related batshit crazy hollow earth video
youtube.com/watch?v=RaPtq8F2hUc

pellucidar is also cool
especially since Tarzan is a regular there
and dinosaurs

but i digress

link to the 3D guy who did the Kalpana One modeling
medium.com/space-anthropology/kalpana-one-318f4e3bef40

random hydroponics
i'll check this thread later
any input welcome

meanwhile, have a william gibson alien 3 rejected script
awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

Could you have a maglev style boat system to battle the co2 issue of fumes?

I know why not use maglev trains

My favorite concept at the moment is the gravitational balloon, basically hollowing out an asteroid and pumping in air for a breathable freefall environment. Then within that, you have rotating habitats

underground/equatorial maglev train with transparent floor so you can watch the stars at your feet?

can also be used to access, accelerate and launch smaller ships in space

or the whole fucking train because why the fuck not?

I'm wondering about the day/night cycle involved with a central sun.

It's an elegant idea, but afaik it won't work except on a very few monolithic asteroids, because asteroids aren't solid 'space rocks' - they're loose collections of dust and pebbles, held together by gravity. Maybe you could fortify the outer shell of the asteroid by adding some kind of adhesive to make a concrete-like slurry that hardens.