/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sLXLlJ7FhJU
youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

be wizard

When I said a lot of CYOA are too large, I didn't mean we should go this direction.

Be wizard, probably.

Your wish will come true

That was actually made something like five years ago by me.

It was reposted like once in the years afterwards, then just sort of resurged in popularity as an OP image then stayed there.

The changling is pretty much the only option in archedemon yeah? She's cute and not compeltly insane, nice personality, and can build you anything you could ever want. Also a shapeshifter

Find Love
I shan't be satisfied unless I get pulled into another world to then go on a dangerous quest across hellscapes and through nightmares to finally find my beloved.

Here's a question for this thread: Can something like this be done in CYOAs? The rules and mechanics are transparent, how would you smuggle 'hidden' mechanics into it?
youtube.com/watch?v=sLXLlJ7FhJU

I tend to use it as OP image because if jump to the bottom of my CYOA folder and start to go back up, it's first single page CYOA, so I pick it because I'm lazy.

Make your pick, then check the box

Isekai Waifu OC posted one last time for the afternoon crowd, since people have mentioned wanting things posted 2-3 times on their initial release.

People have historically done it by hiding almost invisible text/links on similarly colored backgrounds.

>by hiding almost invisible text/links
See, I had a similar idea but it's a bit different.
Link would lead to a list of all the companion's favorite songs.

Not quite OC, but close enough for jazz. I've rewritten and reworked this baby from the ground up.
Featuring: Cute girls! Doodles! Friendship! Cute boys! Teamwork! Cute demons! Comfy suburban adventures!
Enjoy.

This is Lucy, an adorable girl that knows more than you would expect from a girl her age. She's also very good at convincing and tricking people.

Her favourite song is youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8

Pretty much, yeah.

Post it 30 times

And something I forgot to ask. This was designed to address most of the issues/complaints the thread had with Salvage. So the player recieves direct, obvious benefits for participating, the mystery and world state is much more explicit, etc. To those that didn't enjoy Salvage, did this actually improve the experience? To those that did enjoy it, did it go too far in the opposite direction? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

What's with all these girl cyoas

Page 1 describes the world.
Page 2 and forward contain the choices.
Every page after 2 that you open will unleash a new monstrosity.

Autogynephilia, man. It's a plague on the youth of today.

>Comfy suburban adventures!
>HARD
>VERY HARD
>BRUTAL
>CRUSHING

What are your favourite cyoas? I like adventure in the orient and urban unease. The tank one is good too.

>Enjoy.
No.

Traits: Destined x 8
Mighty, spooky worthy, tricky, outdoorsy, pretty & worldly
Mentor: Alistair Macleod
Buddies: Lana Hughes, Dinah Heriot & Iza Yanova
Allies: Xiao, Elissa Amalkya & The Mystery
Item: Mr.Stabby
Base: The Magic Store
Big bad:Pricipal Shimerman

>The door was unlock.
>Who said I did?
>Cut he's car brakes.

>urban unease
This, Conduit and comfy stuff. Anything that has to do with mystery, exploration and relaxation.

Reminder that the best build is
>Library Access
This depends on the limits of all the choices, including whether you have access to this world's scientific journals without taking Library Access and whether Physiotherapy helps with less explicit stuff like depression and autism.

>Ix
>Be Supportive
>Make the Most of It
>>(Reach for the Stars)
Her tech doesn't exist anymore, but that doesn't mean that she can't help change things - she's smart, so why not make her mark on the world and be an inventor? We have plenty of ideas, after all.

>What are your favourite cyoas?
Pic related, Black & White, Royal Revival, and War of the Zodiac Brides.
Space Opera Battle Waifu, Eldritch Bloodline, and Dark God are pretty great too

>1KB

I actually played this IRL yesterday
>From Scratch
>Pepperoni
>Peppers
>Onions
>Name Brand Cola
>Name Brand Lemon-Lime
It tasted great. Of course, I used Mexican-style cheese and lots of crushed red peppers too, so it still turned out kind of different.

Reading well into the girls and the options, this is a somewhat depressing setting.

>Stiped
>Ix
>Be supportive
>Make the Most of it

I would be lying if I said I'd like to help people, but she's different. If I can do right for her, then it would be worth it. Maybe she will hate me for being condescending, but hey, that's the right thing to do.

Branching Heart

What another gif cyoa should I do.

It's the price paid for that jpg quality

>What another gif cyoa should I do.
A lewd one!

Pick-A-Goddess.

this is a good one. despite what the initial reaction was i think this is a lovely and thoughtful CYOA.

>no olives
>no anchovies
>no mushrooms
>no crust options
>no ham(Canadian bacon)

absolutely fucking disgusting

Just conduit.
I wish we'd hear from thrallherd.

Page 2?

>Trait
Mighty
Chase down motorcycles you say? I'd bet a bat flies slower than a motorcyle. Those Draculas won't escape from me anytime soon.
>Mentor
Alistair Macleod
I'll probably need his help. Strength is good, but I'll need the discipline to use it right.
>Buddies
Morgan. I'll need some brains to balance out my brawn.
Dinah. She knows no fear and is a crack shot, so she sounds like she'd be great at picking off enemies from afar.
Iza. Maybe I can convince her to use that money to pay for stuff like weapons and bullets.
>Allies
Ffoukes. He sounds like he could make a good informant.
Nicky Weiss. He sounds knowledgeable on magic. If we encounter something we don't know, he could help out.
Xiao. She sounds like she could tell us what's up if we encounter something really weird.
>Item
Bonsai World-Tree. If I end up fighting off 20 vampires at once, I'm bound to get scuffed up. Some healing magic could help.
>Base
Magic Store. My mentor having all-hours access to the back room sounds like it would be useful. If the enemy has an obscure weakness, then I might be able to find it here.
>Big Bad
The Institute. I'm mighty. I can take whatever monstrocities they have. Flesh is flesh, bone is bone, and I'm strong enough to tear and break all of it. I might need a little help from my buddies and allies stopping the men-in-black. Being a brute, I'll need them to help me out with more subtle and information-based actions.
>They discover my identity
They'll probably use that to go after my friends. I'll do my best to keep them protected.
>Escape their clutches
I'll do what brutes do best, punch my way out. Or, if it's a magic seal or something, I might be able to convince a buddy or an ally to bail me out.
>Experiments broke free, stop the carnage
This is what I live for! My friends can clear people out so that no one gets hurt. Me? I'm going to tear it apart until it no longer resembles anything that could move.

Very fun CYOA. Thank you.

Tok pls make lewd alien abduction i will give you my babies

Yes.

Why is this set in Japan.

rosanon what would you need to make a new time stop chill zone?
it gets posted almost every thread

necromancer update when?

USA, state of Japan.
Japanese names
Lily, Genevieve, Charlotte &etc.

To use cognitive biases in a CYOA, you mean? Yes, you could do that, but you'd use very different approaches from the ones you'd use in a video game. I'm not sure what they are, though.

I really just want to create a situation that can be read in multiple ways. The literal version is A, but there's a key to it, conceptually— something discordant, a detail or setup that makes no sense as stated—which suggests that what's presented in A is there to fool you, and the real situation must be B. And if the real situation is B, all the options change, because you now understand the ulterior motives behind them.

The ideal case would be one in which both A and B are plausible interpretations, and playing it as A won't kill you, so the CYOA is viable either way.

I've yet to work out exactly how to do this.

I want to know who St. Misunne is

Zombies and japanese schoolgirls simply belong together,
It's a well known fact.

Misunne
Norwegian, to envy (someone).
Seven Deadly Sins of Envy or St. Envy.

Right, but you can't just make up a Saint [significant edgy foreign word]. That's not how it works, damnit.

What I think you would have to do is use a lot of jargon specific to the cyoa that whose meaning seems obvious, but changes in retrospect. Like this is a dumb example, but something like throwing a "Retirement Party" for an employee , until later on in the CYOA you realize the employee is a replicant/robot/etc and "Retirement Party" is therefore a euphemism for being decommissioned/destroyed.

You would first need to define what would constitute a "new" one.

What does that mean -- to make a "new" Time Stop Chill Zone?

that's because it's high school, not because of the monsters

I know.

just a new image, not an entirely new concept
more options maybe some new categories (neighborhoods of pocket dimensions)

tok post nemesis cyoa!
and plox make some more dlc!

>tok post nemesis cyoa!
>and plox make some more dlc!
What would you want in a Nemesis DLC?

>nemesis

>Also a shapeshifter
Who doesn't like shapeshifting.

If you want variety, you go with Lynneth. Her brothel must be full of all kinds of girls, including shapeshifters, and you get to fuck all of them for free. And while Mhyrienne hates if you even look at another woman, Lynneth will seek out other women to share with you.

if there was a dlc, then probably just more content ya know? like, more choices, more allies, more drawbacks, more targets, etc.
>obligatory zynthia is welcome but not necessary

>Reading well into the girls and the options, this is a somewhat depressing setting.
"Somewhat"? It's completely depressing. It's all about everyone losing everything and being pulled from more idealistic worlds into a shitty, cynical, mundane world like our own. If the CYOA happened to me, I'd be in no condition to help anyone, because I'm the one who would need help. It's a major act of cruelty to put people into "simulations" where they're guardian angels or champions of good and then take that all away from them and drop them in a world that's a shithole by comparison.

Finally someone said it

It was inevitable when men started realizing en masse that women are treated much better by society than men are.

It's not like it was necessary.
Our world has plenty of things in it and the fantasy is only as nice as the author makes it.
I guess people into escapist literature are just predisposed at thinking of earth as a shithole.

How robotic do you think these people are?
You need more than a simple addition sum of benefits to develop a complex like that.
It has more to do with the concept of beauty and specialness which men are starting to pine for.

but tons of saints are already made up
so why not one more?

Because those people put thought into their stories, unlike you. Like those two saints based on the Buddha? They're cool. Not Saint [Envy] oooh isn't that a portentous name~~~

>It has more to do with the concept of beauty and specialness which men are starting to pine for.
That's part of how society treats women better - it considers them beautiful and special.

i didnt make up the saint
just find it funny anyone even cares

psssh yeah imagine caring about things, not like us right?

>It's a major act of cruelty to put people into "simulations" where they're guardian angels or champions of good and then take that all away from them and drop them in a world that's a shithole by comparison.
The more I think about it, the more this particular part bothers me. What sadistic bastard decided to start doing this?

>put people into "simulations" where they're guardian angels or champions of good
That's not exactly true. It's more along the lines of being born that way in a parallel reality that was always living on borrowed time.

caring about things is the first step to being upset about things
apathy is a beautiful thing

There's nothing wrong with being upset about things, and apathy is a disgusting thing.

That's not society treating women better, that's society exalting womenhood. To the point that even women can't live up to it.
All these body dysmorphia problems like anorexia and autogynophilia share a common source.

If you're talking about women being treated better it's pretty much just about measurable societal benefits, presumptions of innocence, more social programs, that sort of thing. That doesn't make men envious of their position, men are the ones enforcing those things. That's cavement roles taking over, the more the protector/protectee relationship is affirmed the less men will feel the dissociativity that allows for these mental problems actually. So it counteracts some of it.

The fact that Wendy was least popular proves that you all have shit taste. Also, Suzie frankly just plain cheats with her gift. Wendy's gift is kinda really bad too.

This but unironically.

meh

Idk but I appreciate your moving the medium in new directions

When is that Twin CYOA gonna be finished?

I'd argue against you, but I don't really care.

I'm finally getting down to writing up that Incestous Waifu Harem Builder CYOA. You folks got any ideas? Any questions?

>Wendy's gift: Become doomguy
>Bad
What

Those parallel realities wouldn't have existed in the first place if someone hadn't decided to simulate them, and to specifically design them to contain things that don't exist in the real world. And I have a hard time believing that no one in the real world was monitoring the simulations. People know what's going on, and they let it happen anyway. It's cruel.

Things to consider: why are the last options of each set of hangouts photos while the rest is art (Obviously I cheated with the arecibo message because you can't really get a photograph, but the effect of seeing a physical screen is emulated as closely as I could)? Why is that important in a cyoa that centers around fantasy and reality? Gabrielle says Cindy reminds her of herself when she was younger, but what is the difference between them, and what does that mean for Gabrielle's narration? Why does anyone create a world where the impossible is possible? You might not think figuring out the answer is worth it, but the pieces are there if you want.

As for the rest, I'm surprised that Ix is so overwhelmingly popular but I'm glad people are enjoying it at all. Thanks for both kind words and criticisms.

Hopefully you won't miss hot showers and food not eaten on run because moment you use it, you basically declare war against society. Even in America you probably don't get away with shooting people you don't like with plasma cannon.

>the more the protector/protectee relationship is affirmed the less men will feel the dissociativity that allows for these mental problems actually
Good fucking luck with that. Men are waking up. They're not going back to traditional roles. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Choosing anyone other than Laura is a mistake.