Birthright

Why does nobody ever talk about this fucking gem? It's basically Crusader Kings: The Fantasy RPG

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
lomion.de/cmm/lichinhe.php
media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sell me on this shit nigga

What makes Birthright rad enough

Probably because you have to do all the Crusader Kings part of it yourself and the rest is just plain D&D.

It's a setting for AD&D that is based on ruling what the game calls Domains - basically divisions of the land. Also, you have the blood of the goods in your veins and it grants you a randomly defined power.

Birthright is a really, really, cool idea for a setting ruined by a relentless need to pattern itself on Lord of the Rings. I mean that campaign book opens with an author introduction where Rich Baker says he wanted to write the next LotR, and then you get 30 pages of fluff only setting detail which might as well say:
>Do it like LotR but throw in some Cyrillic names
Pic related, a heading, is the most interesting part of that entire section and I promise you the text beneath it does not deliver on the promise of the heading.

And I hate that because conceptually Birthright really is SUCH a great setting. The idea of it steps away from fiat fantasy politics, religion and morality and asks you to consider the world as a world you experience not just as window dressing for your character sheet. Except then the authors just dial this stuff back in by not doing that themselves.

Because the realm mechanics are garbage and it is too difficult to replace them with Crusader Kings mecahnics.

How does this compare to ACKS?

sounds rad as fuck anyone got a pdf?

Look in the /osr/ trove, under settings.

pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd

I actually played a fair amount back in the '90s with the second D&D group I ever joined.

BR is a cool idea, and I love the setting, but there are some serious flaws. The whole idea is that it's a strategic wargame mixed with D&D. However, the "wargame" portion of it sucks. It's extremely poorly balanced and half-baked. It's cool that the character-level rules and stats plug into it (kind of), but it's clunky, and bizarre, and just generally not a great game.

BR is also a product of TSR in its shovelware deathspiral phase, the material is very uneven. For example, the main book stresses that it's a gritty medieval/dark ages low magic world with absolutely NO PSIONICS. Then the main monster book has stories about orders of hippy psions mind-melding with wolves to learn about their behavior. Both are fine ideas, but clearly there was a ridiculous lack of communication and coordination in the rush to push product out the door.

The way to salvage Birthright is to take the idea to a new setting and refined mechanics.

The way to salvage Birthright is just to refine the mechanics and remarket it as "Game of Thrones: The Game". In a funny way it will have come full circle as GRRM was inspired to write based on his Birthright games back in the day.

bump

>as GRRM was inspired to write based on his Birthright games back in the day
Do you have even a single credible source to back that up or are you just bullshiting?

>Why does nobody ever talk about this fucking gem?
It's way too cumbersome and the battles are shit.

It's mostly 2e whereas ACKS is basic with some mechanical polish on things like proficiencies

Because the books its based on never really built a fanbase big enough to support it. I played it, it's not terrible, but unless you dig the setting there's little enough there to draw you in. As the setting isn't well known, it doesn't get played.

He doesn't have one. GRRM's series is based off the War of the Roses. He's a history nerd, and the WotR is his jam.

Because it's 2e, why play 2e when 1e exists

because i don't want to have to write a dissertation to explain initiative

Because Chainmail is a shitty wargame.

Have you actually read 1e?

2e has no rules for gold as xp, meaning the only meaningful way through the entire game is combat, not smart playing or negotiation. Not to mention they removed the half orc, made the bard even shittier, made the game no more than a money grab by jews and got rid of gygax

I fucking hate retards who pass off things they once heard from a friend as fact without taking a moment to authenticate it. It’s like the brainless
>The Rock was the name of a gay bar in Nottingham
memers.

Basically a setting that no one cared but a famous e-celebrity that plebbitors love (Matthew Cuckville) loves Birthright.

So since he started shilling for birthright we have had a wave of retards talking about it in Veeky Forums.

Same. There's all kinds of British history in his series. The war of 5 Kings is the WotR; the Red Wedding is based off of the Black Dinner, a 15th century event that took place in Scotland.

Martin has been avoiding writing by doing shitloads of podcasts, interviews, and the like, so it's easy to find something where he talks about his inspirations.

Every time you bring it up at your local D&D table, you try to sell it as "Highlander with Game of Thrones mashed together", which is the coolest thing ever.
And the setting is pretty darn cool.
But then your group just sits down and wants to play literally anything else. But they still want to play it. It's just that Matt has a cool 40k idea and we haven't played Dark Heresy in 3 years.

RPG problems.

Plus Harlaw where he just took from history and forgot to actually invent things.

If its well done, I don't actually mind that too much.

>And the setting is pretty darn cool.
Counterpoint: the setting is actually not that cool and could be a lot better. You, user, could likely make something a lot better.

Someone mentioned above that it falls apart when it tries to rewrite Tolkien. If it didn't do that, then the setting would likely be better.
As for me? I probably can't. My homebrew settings have always been incomplete and full of holes.

If you just took your pitch of "Highlander with Game of Thrones" and actually really thought about that instead of C&P, you'd make something better.

Being full of holes isn't really a big deal for something you play a game in. Holes get filled in when the PCs go there.

>Holes get filled in when the PCs go there.
This is entirely dependent on the kind of game you're playing and how many bards are in the party.

This is a lil bit cleverer than the usual Veeky Forums innuendo and I appreciate that user.

GRRM is also an actual GURPSfag.

>2e has no rules for gold as xp
Yes it does, read the book.

Warrior

Per Hit Die of creature defeated
10 XP/level

Priest

Per successful use of a granted power
100 XP
Spells cast to further ethos
100 XP/spell level*
Making potion or scroll
XP value
Making permanent magical item
XP value

Wizard

Spells cast to overcome foes or problems
50 XP/spell level
Spells successfully researched
500 XP/spell level
Making potion or scroll
XP value
Making permanent magical item
XP value

Rogue

Per successful use of a special ability
200 XP
Per gold piece value of treasure obtained
2 XP
Per Hit Die of creatures defeated (bard only)
5 XP

Player has a clever idea
50-100
Player has an idea that saves the party
100-500
Player role-plays his character well*
100-200
Player encourages others to participate
100-200

Also pic related.

bump

The main chair in Birthright is a throne of blades called the Iron Throne, same reason Mercedes Lackey used it.

Shit man one of the novelisations for birthright got me into nerd shit way back in the dim and misty era of the mid 90s. Was the one about some guy building a fort across a river in spider/goblin/spider-goblin territory.

Another setting which starts off by sounding good, but fails in the implementation.
One more for the bin.
But, hope remains that someone who loved it may find the strength to rework it into something playable.

It's not fun. Same reason people who played 2e in the 90s don't care about Planescapes.

It was an interesting idea that seemed rad, we all went out and bought, tried playing, got bored of, and went back to Dark Sun, Spelljammer and Forgotten Realms.

Domain rules are kinda clunky.

I need to ask, but can someone point to me the birthsright splat that offers me context on Inheritor Liches?

Inheritor Liches are from Red Steel/Savage Coast. That's Mystara.
lomion.de/cmm/lichinhe.php

Blood Enemies and Blood Spawn are the monster/awnsheghlien books.

To what degree is this compatible with 5th edition? And is there a PDF available somewhere?

Best part of birthright is the monster book, honestly

As compatible as any other 2e supplement. media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf should help.

>As compatible as any other 2e supplement.
Is... that a yes or a no?
Thanks for the link though m8.

Honestly, if you want to make sure your conversion's all cricket, you'd probably have to learn enough 2e to know how it works in that, then recreate it.

bump

Did anyone else play the computer game? Holy shit was I addicted to that for a while

It was... deeply flawed. I wanted to like it so much.

why would anyone ever play this over pendragon

Pendragon is about knightly virtues and shit, Birthright is D&D characters playing international politics with each other and monstrous creatures.

Birthright is interesting but also flawed as hell.

Pro: You know how in actual history and many fantasy games kings have divine rule to govern? Same shit here. Gods killed eachother in a last epic battle and then exploded. That explosion scattered their divine essence onto their followers.

Con: 1. You can roll really shitty when rolling your Blood rating.
2. Even if you roll high on Blood rating, you can still have a shitty luck of not rolling any special powers. Or rolling really shitty ones.
3. Most powers are low-level wizard tier spells that aren't really helping you feel like a demi-god game is trying to sell you.

TLDR; mostly you are not a demi-god but a shitty character with few spell-like abilities like dancing light and other garbage.

Pro #2: Building a city, domain, county.

Con #2: Domain System is deeply flawed. Although it sounds cool system breaks easily and is only hard to manage when you are on village tier. Once you improve your holdings it rapidly becomes easier and easier to reach higher ends while in most other games it is opposite. You can upgrade early, easier levels faster but higher end developments are harder to achieve.

TLDR, construction is flawed. Lower levels are harder to achieve because you have resource issues but higher levels are easier to achieve although logically they would be a bigger time consuming effort.

Also you could send population from high population province to lower population province and increase province level in a season or two while it would normally take years. Also high level province doesn't get a hit on its level because that population resettlement is insignificant. 10,000 people doesn't make a dent on 100,000 region but improves a lower region by 1-2 levels.

In short, cool idea bad realization of that idea.

What system would do this sort of tabletop RPG realm management well?

Ever heard of this thing called A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying?

There was a nice computer game back when I was a kid.

Has anyone else here ran a full BR campaign?

The big problem, besides heavy unfairness in chargen, is that the regency turns are tedious.

Recordkeeping for these games was always arghtastic.

It's why, back when I was playing Dawn of Worlds somewhat regularly, I ended up using my shitty coder skills and built a scripted/automated website type thing that would keep track of literally everything - history, races, who controlled what, ruins, special events.

Too bad I'm super shitty at front-end design.

However, a lot of procedural crap can be somewhat automated fairly easily. I don't know jack about BR Regency turns, though.

I don't know. I played 3 times in Birthright (two of which where 1-1.5 year long campaigns) and every time they felled into same problems.

Also it didn't help 50% of the group where incompetent or had hard time with maintaining their province or holdings.

If you are into realm management, and you don't think your group is out for the task, I would suggest making it as background and not major part of the campaign.

You can check these books if you are into realm making

Pendragon - Lordly Domains, The Book of the Estate, The Book of the Manor
Renegade Crowns - Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Ed
Game of thrones - Green ronin publishing. It has a simple way of creating your province. I didn't like the game system but this part of the book was great.

Anyone got a PDF handy?

I think my problem is I want to play in such a campaign. Sadly, I don't really have the chops for DMing - I'm good at running single encounters/dungeons, and at worldbuilding, but the important in-between stuff? Not so much.

Because I can play dominions 4 and crusader kings 2 to get my fix of being a tyrannical god king. There’s even a birthright mod for ck2 if you’re hard set on the setting.

OSR Trove

I hope it's better than the cover art. And this might answer your question, OP.

Is there a game that does it better?

there is a crusader kings version of it

>playing this D&D shit when you could be playing this.
Come on /tg.

See