What are some of the worst/most cringy character types/ideas you've seen in one of your games from another player

What are some of the worst/most cringy character types/ideas you've seen in one of your games from another player

>weredragon with retractable arm blades
>named himself after some Bionicle mask
>did nothing but insult and belittle my character, calling her a vapid whore every time I said something
>showed up for one session, never appeared again

Was fucking weird.

>did nothing but insult and belittle my character, calling her a vapid whore every time I said something
Why?

Any combination of aasimar, tiefling, paladin, and warlock that involves "trying to prove I'm good despite my inner evil" or vice versa. Or any "chosen one" type bullshit.

For 5e specifically
>coffeelocks
>lockadins
>paladin with a hexblade dip
>anything with a hexblade dip
>hexblade
>halfling diviner wizard with the lucky feat

Barbarians with 8 int that talk and act like mongoloids.
Any furry/beastfolk race.
The children of kings and nobles never go well.
Which mask, do you remember?

>Barbarians with 8 int that talk and act like mongoloids
Seriously
Even in the cases where it's not actively bad it doesn't really ad anything except on very rare occasions

Guy was super neckbeardy so I just assumed he didn't think highly of women. He saw I was playing one so he got triggered. My character had the highest intelligence so I usually was the liason between the party and GM for setting knowledge. Don't know why he just assumed I was stupid other than in or out of character sexism.

>Which mask

Avokii was his name. I was big into Bionicle as a just but I don't remember that shit. Only reason I knew it was a reference was because another player caught onto it and high fived him for it.

The player stuck to it like it was his religion and he did a decent job not interrupting play, but it was much at times.
>Avokii
Oh for fuck's sake. The mask of light. The one-and-only special-snowflake light mask. Go fucking figure.
Not even one of the more common and frankly more fun ones like superspeed, shielding, invisibility, or astral projection, noooooooo.

Lawful stupid human supremacist paladin on the quest to wipe out some morally gray entity. Extra points for being xD-ironic about it.

>An amnesiac
I was honestly very excited about this character when a fellow player decided to play him. I'm a big fan of such ancient cliches and tropes - and of the opinion that it's the execution that matters.
Sadly, the execution sucked. "Muh memory" was basically his only character trait and only focus, and at no point he developed any personality at all. Even the player now admits that he really fucked up.

>child character but wait shes actually 26
>native american vampire in VTM that can't speak English, so they can't talk to us in a talking game

But noble offspring are generally a standard background in fantasy adventure. Anyone who's a knightly character should be one.

>5 of us, all just trying dnd for the first time
>Edgelord DM, thinks he’s the shit
>makes a rogue DMPC
>fittingly edgy background: no friends, no family, sold as a slave, trained to be a killing machine, killed his master, now is a mercenary
>”my alignment is chaotic; not good, not neutral, not evil. Just pure chaos!”
>has no interest in joining the group, yet won’t let the party continue without him
>makes us pay him 20GP to join group (which was a lot at the start of LMoP)

Funny enough one of the players was sleeping with his fiancé, she dumped him and now we play without him. So happy ending, I guess?

>One guy for whom most characters he plays are girls from anime and video games right down the name and abilities
>Doesn't even disguise it
>The DM even allows custom spells, races, and classes just so the aforementioned player can live out his self insert fantasies
>All the other players live with it because the DM is really good and the homebrew crap is inferior to first party material

I prefer the weirder ones.
The necromanacy one

bard/cleric dip who would give in character incredibly stupid insults to the enemies.

The dude was actually an autismo who would talk over the gm when he was describing the rooms.

Just from your description, that sounds perfect like a bad idea and more like horrible execution. I'd argue that amnesia isn't an inherently bad story, you just need to know where you're going and what you're doing with it

Had a player who’s Rogue’s backstory featured the phrase “raped repeatedly and savagely” written into it, which made me a bit uncomfortable.
Knowing her as I know her now and seeing her reading tastes, it’s pretty clear she’s got some kinks she is way heavy repressing and injecting into her character.

I think you know what you need to do user.

I've played in one game that handled noble PCs well, and one that didn't.

The first one we were all playing as emissaries of the same kingdom. Sent to colonize the shit out of some hinterlands.
So a couple people ended up having some royal blood, some were just high-ranking officials/advisors, fun was had by all. I think mostly since we all had roughly equivalent ties to the royal court.

The second one it was just one player running a knightly prince. Which ended up in several half-fruitless half-worthwhile trips across the desert (backtracking from the meat of the campaign) to play a game of "Mother May I" with the PC's family.

that's literally what he said

Told this one before for an Forgotten Realms game.

>tell group want to run a starting adventurers game in forgotten realms
>group comes up with some standard ideas until I hit the other dm in group
>he produces a homebrew class called Slayer
>combined fighter, rouge, assassin and used the broken ass swashbuckler unarmoured defense feat as a class ability
>said he was going to be from an unheard of academy who trained them to track down and slay the gods
>before i can comment, other player says that he wants to be from the academy as well
>says that his female character would have followed him to keep him from raping another in battle frenzy like he did her.

All the other players just looked at them while they sat there with straight faces. They threw a minor hissy fit when I cancled the FR game and ran star wars instead with pregen characters.

>says that his female character would have followed him to keep him from raping another in battle frenzy like he did her.

What the fuck?

Some people are idiots.

Sounds like some bedroom RP

fucking reading comprehension, how does it work.

So the aasimar trying to find an identity outside the assumptions of pure lawful good jedi slash jesus. Who wants to be their own person, this is cringe?

I've never had a player come to me with more than the barest bones most basic character concepts, like literally a blank character sheet. Anything concept would be welcome really, but what irks me more is how some players immediately forget whatever concept they've had before to go out of their way to be a dick to NPCs and the other players, killing and stealing without any forethought. I've seen DMs do this to players in the weirdest ways as well, taking control of PCs away from players to make them do dickish things then blame the players for it, then justifying it for the good of game-balance, or the plot, or some concept nobody else understands. Maddening.

>Playing a Christmas campaign where we're kids kidnapped by Krampus and put in a testing course because reasons
>mitebegood.png
>One of the players is playing an 8-year-old that humps EVERYTHING
>Door switch? "I start humping it"
>Treasure chest? "I hump it"
>Gremlin? "I hump its leg"
>Hasn't tried to sodomize any of the PCs yet, but if he does his first warning will be a brass-knuckle punch
It isn't even funny sex comedy, it's just "lolIrubmydickonit". Even the lone "guy who's playing an 8-year old girl" at least tries to be funny about his character's brattiness.

A female (cross-sex) bibliomancer named Niko Robin who shouts "For the books!" as her battlecry.

BOOKS FOR THE BOOK GOD!

Cringe aside it makes no sense. If she's so concerned about him raping people then why not kill him or otherwise keep him isolated from potential victims?

Also godmoding someone else's backstory like that is horseshit.

>They threw a minor hissy fit when I cancled the FR game and ran star wars instead with pregen characters.

Like all things, it depends on the execution. You can absolutely still have a character be the One Good Person in an evil race trying to do good, and find some angle that makes it fresh and interesting (pic related), it's just that nearly everyone who does the "One Good One" shtick doesn't even try.

An Aasimar trying to prove he can be evil either succeeds, and is just chaotic stupid with a novel justification, or fails because his goodly nature makes him comically ineffective as a bad guy. Spirit of goodness trying ineffectually to be evil feels a bit more novel, but can still be done badly.

>"I start humping it"
...W-why? does he at least give some shitty reason for doing so or is it just 100% some out of character attempt to be funny?

Honestly I'm not sure which would be worse..

WORDS FOR THE WORD THRONE!

See the thing there is why do we have to polarise? The moralfag planetouched are more compelling when they just want to live. Tiefling wants not to get the evil eye or his coin thrown out after donating. The aasimar wants to do their shopping without every idiot mother bringing their sick kid up to touch the 1/16th angel. Moral extremes are the boring part of this

>Bibliomancer
Tf is a bibliomancer supposed to do? Float books gently towards her enemies?

No. He (she) had no actual battle spells. It's Unknown Armies. Bibliomancer magick includes:
- Information-searching spells that make you read what you want really quick or materialize a book about wuatever you want to know
- Scrying through books
- Making target feel certain emotions, like in that book you've read some day
- Taking away the ability to read, write, or speak for a day.
- Redirecting spells cast on you into books then releasing into any targets.

Secretly suggest your GM to introduce mimics next time he tries to hump a treasure chest.

if drizzt is a bad character, what do you consider good?

Drizzt isn't a bad character. He is just a legendary level cliche' nowadays, and 99.99% of his ripoffs are bad characters

He should teabag himself?

someone wanted to play an elf so we kicked him.

>last episode, on user Fantasises about having a game

I wasn't trying to imply he was a bad character
I was just using him because a lot of shitty drows rip him off

Drizzt on himself is a good character but his existence basically ruined Drow forever and they used to be the coolest kind of elf when played as the retarded evil race they were supposed to be

Nowadays GMs all over the world try to make them into dindus which reduces them to another kind of arrogant elf

>Campaign set in not!Norway
>player wants an "Big Black Druid, with a big dick" from not!Africa
>plays a thug-nigger constantly looking for elf wimminz
>group tells him to cut his shit out
>tones it down and ends up becoming a good take on the "Stranger from a Strange Land" stereotype
>Wild Shapes into exotic animals
>party infiltrates the Evil Duke's celebration by having the Druid change into a Tiger, and presented as a gift

Worked out, desu.

SHEEEEEEIIIIT

That just makes it sounds like they're going the "ohoho I'm eeeeeeevil route," probably by making a pact with a fiend, which is just as bad.

I’m blassed with having had almost only good, normal people to play with. Except this one guy who made his lizardman character a direct expy of Lisbeth Salander. He called him Salamander.

The guy insisted on telling us his backstory frequently. It was ripped directly from the movies, nothing changed at all. At the time the movies and books were super popular and we all knew about them, and still he told the story like it was his own unique creation.

His character had retractable claws, and every time we got into combat he would flick his wrists, Wolverine style, and make a loud hiss. Coming from a 300 pound neckbeard it was cringy as fuck.

Out of the blue he told one of our players the story of how he had been accused of trying to rape some girl, and lost all his friends because of it. This was when we decided not to play with the guy.

>Four armed midget cyclops "from a realm of pain you can't imagine", who hated literally everyone and everything
>Ultra edgy necromancer who wouldn't stop going on about how persecuted he is for his magic, despite being told that nobody in that part of the world really cared about necromancy
>Angry mutant thief with no actual criminal abilities or connections who became violent when asked to work with criminals
>Dwarven paragon of dwarfyness who just shouts about beards and ale, in a serious game.
>Several complete and blatant xeroxes of anime characters

>he had been accused of trying to rape some girl
Wasn't Lisbeth's thing that she was raped at some point?

>Dwarven paragon of dwarfyness who just shouts about beards and ale, in a serious game.
Don't forget the scottish accent

It was a really, really shitty one too. Just sort of shifted between scottish, irish, swedish, and down syndrome

Not a character but if your backstory is just "me orphan me want revenge" or "I killed my parents!!111" then there is a 70% chance your character sucks

Of course she had. That character was every bulkshit ‘muh dark and troubled past’ cliche in one.

Btw he told us about hownhe had been accused irl, not in game if that’s unclear.

I want to make a 6-INT orphan barbarian now.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over my extremely over the top edgelord aasimar hexblade in our not so serious campaign.

Honestly that shit is amazing. I guess it has to suit the table, but it's so much fun getting to say all those cheesy brooding lines, and they get laughs too.

I could see the problem if people were taking it too seriously, but that's not me/my table.

Star Wars FFG, we get a player who says she has been playing essentially the same character through WEG, SAGA, to now. Okay.

What that means is that the character is the cringiest self-insert imaginable. Three page backstory on how she was a sex slave for the hutts, then rescued by a jedi, then left him to become a smuggler, who she's now on the run from.

Said character is 16 years old.

She spent the entire game talking over other players, screwing over the party with "N-nothing personal kid" bullshit, convincing other players to completely rewrite their characters until they left, and in general being a huge nuisance, before capping it off with , singlehandedly murdering the campaign by saying her plan to getting into a bank vault was going to be 1) daterape a guard, 2) steal his keys, 3) blackmail him. Everyone was so squicked out by a 40 something lady explaining how her 16 year old self insert was gonna fuck a guy that they just didn't show the next game.

We play Age of Rebellion now. The GM sat everyone down beforehand that the rebels were the good guys. He doublechecked everyone's backstories that they weren't awful.

My last character was a drow thief who was a deliberate subversion of the dark and brooding archetype; she had a happy childhood raised in a human village where everyone treated her normally; and she did good things for good reasons.

As a contrast, my next character, when we get to Curse of Strahd, is going to be a MAXIMUM EDGE dhampir cleric.

>Said character is 16 years old.

In the interest of fairness, that's only a year younger than Anakin at the start of Episode II, and three years at the start of Episode III. Some people just lead crazy lives in the Galaxy Far Far Away, with a lot of stuff happening to them or around them.

Otherwise, though, your point stands.

It was a Random Roll20 game. Pathfinder. Normal not-europe setting.

Usual fare of level 1 characters;
Young man who learns he is a sorcerer and wants to learn magic, half orc paladin trying to prove himself to the world etc etc

ThatGuy shows up with an Ex-slave cat boy from not-Japan with 18 charisma.

Nearly abandoned ship after all the horror stories I've read here.

Turns out my fears were misplaced. He wasn't some weaboo fuckboi but just an actual asian guy who just wanted to play something akin to The Cat from Red Dwarf.

It was the best campaign I've ever run and we're still playing together 4 years on.

We all remember you.
I mean, Veeky Forums is usually pretty worrying, but you take it to a new level and that's why everyone cringes.
I sense the seed of Chris-chan in you.
I only hope for your sake that severe enough autism can actually kill you first.

>punishing the whole group for what two players did instead of just telling them to make new characters
They were That Guys but you were That GM.

A paladin of Jah. She tried to make dude weed jokes whenever her character did or said anything. She was a gf of one of the players, showed up on the first session, completely lost interest in the game the moment she finished creating her character and then never showed up again.

You sound so insecure

Dwarf Fighter
>Ooh oi aye, Ah'm lookin' fer ah spottuh ale and a DEMMED KNIFE EAR AMIRITE?! FOOKIN ELCES! tah slap wif may acks er else mah name isn't Axebeard Aleforge!

>Axebeard Aleforge

Players' gfs who don't really want to be there are the worst. One showed up for a Pathfinder game I was playing in, it was the Carrion Crown adventure path and we were in the hunting lodge. The first thing she did was corner the chef in the kitchen, demand a Greek omelet (the setting didn't even have a not!Greece) and murder him when he failed to comply.