Magical girl setting

>Magical girl setting.
>The main conflict is between a super sentai group (imagine Kamen Rider or Power Rangers) getting into a heated debate with a magical girl group (imagine Sailor Moon or Kill La Kill) over who's better at their jobs.
>And who looks better of course.

How do you make this conflict start to become a problem with it becoming too absurd in the logic of it becoming a problem? How do you make it hilarious?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fTZx0LqO9AA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make it a "boys vs girls" rivalry but with the before mentioned groups. Concept sounds funny enough on its own for comidy to write itself.

That's not how justice works.

> a super sentai group (imagine Kamen Rider or Power Rangers)
You mean "Tokusatsu". "Super Sentai" refers to a single show, which was adapted in the West as Power Rangers.

bad guys, not affiliated with either side, has members of their group both start saying how much better each group is than the other. trying to get the 2 groups to shift from debate to physical altercation. Maybe one of the bad guys uses a shapeshifting ability to appear to be one of the members of one group and attacks the other group, or a supporter of the other group.

Of course this is all to get the heroes so busy fighting one another that the bad guys can take over the world! Heroes eventually earn to overcome their differences and team up to defeat the common enemy.

But it's fun.jpg

Also "magical girl" doesn't mean "girl who transforms and fights bad guys". It means "girl with a secret life where she gets to experience more agency than a kid can normally have". Some stories have the girl fighting (particularly modern ones going for a broader audience), but some have her becoming a celebrity, and some have her just secretly being a resident of a magical land who moved to Earth; a transformation is a useful narrative tool for this, but it's not required.

The premise of Sailor Moon is "what if we took magical girls and added superhero elements".

There's also Precure, which is made by the same people as Kamen Rider + Super Sentai and goes even further, being essentially a sentai where the members just happen to be magical girls. In fact, if you called them "magical girls" to their face instead of "heroes", most of them would be insulted.

What I'm saying is, you need to watch the Shuriken Sentai Ninninger movie: youtube.com/watch?v=fTZx0LqO9AA

Pretty easy. Just go the "Mysterious Protector" route. The magical girls are the main characters, and whenever they get overwhelmed some cool-looking armored guy shows up to defeat the monsters, tell the girls they should be ashamed of themselves for failing at their duties, then leave. There's a running subplot about figuring out who this person is and/or becoming strong enough to earn their respect.

Having a whole team in this role would be unusual, but not unprecedented. In this case they're likely stewards who were appointed by the last magical girl team, and know exactly how powerful the new girls would be if they reached their full potential. Maybe their transformations are fuelled by an artefact that was created to upgrade the girls' powers, and they'll hand it over and retire once they feel the team are ready.

Originally the Toku group dealt with mad science and and kid-friendly terrorist groups, While the Magical Girls dealt with magical evil and sometimes inter dimensional stuff. The old guard respected this division and kept out of each others way. However over time as new blood takes centre stage they begin to think they could take on what the others battle and do it better. Que the resurgent Nazi cells being defeated by a blast of pure friendship and the Queen of the Shadow Realm being stepped on by a giant combining robot. Obviously this starts to become an issue when the groups focus more on outdoing each other, which causes the antagonist groups to have more opportunities to take advantage of.

The toku group is fueled by their lie and admiration for the magical girls

Two members of the groups agree all on their own to switch transformation devices because they like the other teams aesthetic better.

ow

>Dragonball Super
>Tournament of Power
>Universe 11 is a Super Sentai team
>Universe 2 is a Magical Girl team
We COULD have had this, it COULD have been awesome. Toriyama has great ideas, but falls flat on delivering.

Nice, Fem Tokusatsu does things to both my body and mind

Come on, man. Some people just want to have fun. In the nicest way possible, leave the autism at home once in a while. Sometimes we have to hold back on correcting people on our topics of interest.

That's not how fun works.

Universe 2 had some pretty direct references to Precure (a franchise which inherited a lot of old DBZ staff), so I doubt Toriyama himself had much to do with them.

Stuff like the effects in the transformation sequence, knockoffs of Precure attacks like Pink Forte Wave and My Sweet Heart, and powering up into new forms by having their fans shout "GANBARE!" while waving glowsticks.

Veeky Forums in one sentence.

>so I doubt Toriyama himself had much to do with them.
How much Toriyama has to do with Super is always dubious, but with the creation of Toei's "Dragon Room" it's more or less confirmed that Toriyama at least knows what's going on and probably has the final word.

I still think what they should have done for the Tournament of Power would be to have Goku(and maybe Vegeta too) just get dogpiled by every other team momentarily working together and get knocked out of the tournament, thus their team having to go through the rest of the tournament at a severe handicap

I just imagine the bad guys passive aggressively implying to each group that the /other/ one is better at beating them up, and that they prefer to arch them.

>Magical girl unleashes big fuck off blast of energy.
>"Ugh, your brother was so much better at this you miserable munchkin."
>"At least the other's had some armor on, you look like you came out of a strip club."
>"A wand? What's next are you going to kill me with tinkerbell? The sentai ranger's gun looked so much more intimidating."
>"Stop having fun."

Assuming Precure here...

>"Ugh, your brother was so much better at this you miserable munchkin."
This will probably enrage the red (hot-blooded) or purple (aloof) team member and cause her to break off from the group to fight you alone. So, it should work well for taking her out, unless you're in a very silly episode and it would be funny for you to lose. And with one team member gone, the girls lose access to combination attacks, making the rest of them easier to take out.

>"At least the other's had some armor on, you look like you came out of a strip club."
This will just make them think you're a pervert.

>"A wand? What's next are you going to kill me with tinkerbell? The sentai ranger's gun looked so much more intimidating."
Tempting fate here. This will immediately cause them to shoot a finishing move out of their wands with a name like "Giga Splash Explosion". If you continue to insist that the rangers' far smaller attacks are more intimidating, they'll just think you're a fanboy who secretly wants to be a sentai member himself. Though, being a villain with endearing traits means you're more likely to survive at the end of the series.

>"Stop having fun."
Considering this is the literal motivation of a lot of Precure villains, this makes you sound desperate. In fact, you probably turn people into monsters called "No-funs" who can only say the words "No fun!". The team makes a passionate speech about how precious fun is, then defeats you with a giant laser powered by fun.

>t. Autism

Thanks for the useless piece of info, Autismo.

Then you failed because you didn't set up enough no fun allowed signs.

What do you think the No-funs are for? Of course, all the signs disappear when it's defeated.

>>"At least the other's had some armor on, you look like you came out of a strip club."
>This will just make them think you're a pervert.
Or give them ideas.

Don't insult user senpai.
>This will just make them think you're a pervert.
>"A good layer of meta would at least make it slightly harder for me to murder you. Safety helmets exist for a reason."

This sounds like setup for an episode where the magical girls wear armor so heavy that they can't move, and ends in a lesson about being yourself.

>ends in a lesson about being yourself
>One girl refuses to take off her armor because she really does like looking like a knight

>Evil invading aliens come together with an army
made out of E.V.I.L to form a convoluted plan.
>Evil invading aliens claim they were invading because they were hauling ass from E.V.I.L and goes straight to the magical girl group.
>They justify this with "The sentai rangers wouldn't even listen to us and called me a faggot, please help."
>They didn't even look at a sentai group, they're lying through their teeth and can do it very convincingly.
>Even fakes his own redemption just so the magical girl group has something to rub in the sentai's faces while increasing sentai paranoia.

I was kinda hoping Jiren would knock Goku out as it would show that shit just got real. Really, really real. It'd still create a possibility for U7 to survive though, considering the tournament is won by having the most guys standing.

What I hate the most though is that it's not really a "tournament", it's more every universe waiting for its turn to get their asses kicked by U7. They barely even fought eachother, almost all eliminations were by either U7 or U6.

I just want Vegeta to not always do the same thing as Goku power wise. At least give him the perfect offence version of Ultra Instinct, it would make for a nice mirror of Goku's perfect defence version.