/kdm/ Kingdom Death: Monster (KD:M)

Don't forget we get 2 nemesis in one package 2018 edition.

Libidocucks ate the Lonely Fruit >What is Kingdom Death: Monster?
Monster is a board game about surviving in the darkness. You play a bunch of cavemen stuck inside the world of the Kingdom Death, a setting full of freaky (and sometimes psycho-sexual) monsters.

Prologue Narration: youtu.be/FNLc8dHv0Ac

This game has 3 phases.
1. You hunt down monsters for resources
2. Fight them
3. Return to your settlement with the goods
Your goal is to arm your survivors and grow your settlement over 25-30 'lantern years', overcoming the odds that are against you.

A maximum of 25-30 sessions are expected for a successful campaign. Shorter campaigns will be available in 2019-2020.

>tl;dr
It's basically Warhammer Quest meets Monster Hunter meets Berserk.

>Official Sites
kingdomdeath.com/
twitter.com/kingdomdeath

>1.3 Rulebook
mega.nz/#F!WpB0VJhB!KS3q6INY0vT8IPdtKc9aPQ

>Official FAQ and Living Glossary
kingdomdeath.com/faq/
kingdomdeath.com/wp/living-glossary/

>Other
Official build guides: build.kingdomdeath.com/
Upgrade 1.3 to 1.5 guide: kingdomdeath.com/wp/upgrade-to-1-5-edition/
Unofficial lore and miniature build guides: vibrantlantern.com/
ART OF DEATH artbook: kingdomdeath.com/downloads/kdm-artbook-web-high.zip
1.5 Core Game and 1.3 expansion miniature info image: i.imgur.com/t0clW3a.jpg
Gambler's Chest (coming in 2nd half of 2018) miniature info image: i.imgur.com/A64r2Ar.jpg

>Thread FAQ (Last updated 16th of December)
pastebin.com/raw/V9sMmLJJ

Other urls found in this thread:

build.kingdomdeath.com/Butcher
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I hope we will get a Christmas Update on the status of the Gambler Chest.
More info on Atnas would neat considering the holidays now.

To scanon:
I know you're doing page 30 and story events next, but can you please get glossary ready, if possible?

Does Oxidisation cost too much?

imo most things cost too much.

What the FUCK are they doing?

Dunking weapons into the electric cauldron that is the Watchers corpse, basically frying their weapons to make them stronger.

Shit like this always makes me wonder, "How the fuck did they get to that point?" Like, what conclusions did they draw to decide, let's get three men/women and just shove some shit into the ethereal being's cloak?

It's like how did the first cheese come to be all over again.

Oxidation using the watchers corpse as an electron oven. Basically scorching their metal weapons to make them tougher.

Desperation for survival mixed with the desire to discover. KDM is about the fragility of human life and the tenacious, enduring force of human spirit.

Funnily enough, you may think this is extreme but nearly all great discovers came at cost through trial and error. Sometimes loss of life.

>scanon
Imagine being this big of a loser.

I feel like we're resource deprived. We've only been getting about 10 resource cards per lantern year?

Is it generally a good idea to innovate every year?

Yes, and if you'r running low on resources consistently you might want to consider fighting the antelope.

Yes and no. On one hand, the investment to oxidize items is absurd for narrow upgrades. On the other hand, those narrow upgrades literally make most oxidized items Best In Class, so you can't really compensate by making other shit.

>I feel like we're resource deprived.
Fight the antelope. Level 2 if you can. Bring clubs, shields, and lucky survivors and turn the damn thing into a pinata.

SSo, we haven't even found how to make a shield?

And we haven't accrued any luck on any survivor

My friend and I are playing this pretty blind.

What Lantern Year are you in?

if you want some pointers, important innovations are Paint for dash, Inner Lantern for Surge, Symposium for Innovation Selection, and Ammonia, which unlocks the early shields as well as things like the Leather Armor set (midgame gold), sickles (moar acanthus), and Picks (Get Iron for lategame) while important builds are Cat's Eye Circlet, Weaponcrafter and Zanbato from it, Leatherworker and a lot of stuff in it.

I am just now assembling the butcher to go fight him.

And I lost half his fucking foot. How can a piece of plastic bounce over dog fur ridden carpet this far

Found it

About six inches from where I thought it fell but it went into the carpet upside down

You don't need to inform us about every single uninteresting thing you do, we are not facebook.

To angrily reply and get upset, on the clock, when someone mentions scans in any way?

Some of the oxidised weapons are kinda pathetic though. Lantern Ring Whip is an overpriced Rawhide Whip.

sometimes, couple inches make all the difference

>Lantern Ring Whip is an overpriced Rawhide Whip.
fewer attacks at better hit / strength are preferable to more attacks at worse profile
also
>Sharp, Reach 2

Still rather use silk whip (spidicules) except against boss-tier creatures.

Vibrant Lantern has failed me.

Where can I find a sprue map? I'm holding the butcher's sprue and have no idea what these sashes are fore, A4 and A6

Prologue survivors

only the F bits are part of butcher

build.kingdomdeath.com/Butcher

Fuck

I'm kinda dumbfounded that I've never once thought to come to this place before.

I've got a few noobie questions if anyone's willing to answer.

In case anyone missed it on the last thread... KD:M 1.5 Rulebook

sendspace /file/gcd7jz

I’ll leave it to others to find a more permanent home.

Shoot.

>sendspace /file/gcd7jz

Is this scanon's or the guy who took pictures of it?

Alright

1. After you've done everything at the settlement and are ready to depart on to another hunter, do the resources you haven't used get returned to the appropriate loot pool for that quarry or do you keep it and are unable to get more of it?
(i.e. I don't use a shimmering mane, can I not get another one from another Lion?)

2.I'm somewhat confused on how the bows work. Do you need both bows and arrows to use properly? When you attack which speed/strength/etc do you use? Can you run out of arrows?

3. For anyone who has gotten those events that cause you to create an entirely new settlement how exactly do you handle that and had that ever benefitted you that much?

1. Page 83
2. Bows use infinite generic implied arrows. Special arrows have their own attack profiles, all that's different between them and any other weapon is that you need a bow in your grid to activate them.
3. Avoid unless this settlement's crap, if so, fish for that event. The lore isn't that the survivors are being sent back in time, it's that the world is rewound with the survivors preserved, so no continuing with your settlement with the survivors being erased from time.

1. you write them down in storage and return to deck
2. you have infinite number of "ordinary" arrows, that use standard attack profile of the bow and "once per showdown" special arrows that use attack profile of the arrow, but require bow to be used
3. you do this as described, it can benefit you if you're at low population but in good gear, or if your hunting party is your best people while the rest are mostly cripples, also when you're before critical Nemesis and not properly prepared

Oh the special arrows are one time use, per showdown? I'm assuming you get it back once the fight is over?

>The lore isn't that the survivors are being sent back in time, it's that the world is rewound with the survivors preserved
he probable means Clinging Mist rather than the asspull attack

You do.
I haven't read the phoenix arrow but an important rule to note is that the cat claw arrow debuffs evasion on hit, not on wound.

Either or really.
it's just funny to think that you might have to manage two seperate settlements

>I am just now assembling the butcher to go fight him.
Not too bad off, then. Getting Leather before then is luck and ~10 resources per lantern year isn't bad in the early game.

I fucking hate how runny Zap-a-gap is, I went to put a dab on the back of the White Speakers head to attach her hair and it just fucking spills out of the bottle, really hope I didn't obscure any of her details on her body with it.

I don't seem to understand what a good outcome is.

Just started a new settlement, fought the prologue WL, a level 1 WL, and did the next settlement phase

On the hunt, I killed a cub and rolled a lantern to get away with it, then cleaned up on the lion until the last fucking AI card which was Claw, which he proceeded to run away with due to HL cards and kill two of my survivors in 3 rounds before I could deal a single wound to it, but I went back to the settlement with like 15 resource cards

Is that considered a good first hunt?

Zapagap is garbage.

Superglue brand superglue gel will be some of the best glue you can use for plastic kits.

Yes. In the early game the survivors aren't good enough yet that losing them is such a setback.
I once wiped on the first year lion, settlement's still coming up okay.

>not using proper plastic cement

So, I got the Cat's Eye, the Lion's Testes, the Shimmering Mane, and the Golden Whiskers, and immediately made all of the associated gear. Don't really have enough basic gear (armor for example) but the utility seems good

Honestly, it doesn't get much better than that on a first hunt.

Shimmering Mane is more useful by splitting it into two hides than making the lion headdress.
Harp might be useful against lions and butcher.
Frenzy Drink is fun
Cat's Eye will carry you through the campaign.

>Harp might be useful against lions and butcher.
>might
Breh that -1 token mood is a killer.

Where in the rulebook is an explanation on PAIRED? My first survivor is running around with frenzy drink and he drew Ambidextrous. Need to figure out what to equip him with.

>Where in the rulebook is an explanation on PAIRED?
The glossary?

This seems... unhelpful right now

But dual wielding bone darts seems fun

Dual wield blood painted lion claw katars. Crits all day e'ry day.

Fucking Poots post the goddamn Christmas shit.

Why would it be posted on Christmas Eve?

It was last year.

>Traps all day e'ry day

I went out and kicked some Kingsman Ass, came back feeling like a badass only to see the Hanged Man chilling in my settlement waiting to get whooped on.

Killed the level 2 Huntsman and got the Hunter's Heart.

Now, the character that killed the Kingsman has the curse and is only good for like 3 more hunts before they wanter into the darkness. But after reading King's Curse and Hunter's Heart I'm wondering.

King's Curse says the character dies. Hunters heart says that it comes crawling back and can regrow the lost survivor.

Can I have the Curse character come back to live with the Heart? Will they retain all their Kingsman gear?

Also realizing I'm calling everything by the wrong name.
>King's Man
>Manhunter

When a survivor wearing Cursed gear dies, Cursed gear is archived.

Hunter's Heart revives you after you die, so Cursed gear would be archived.
(where as Green Charm simply prevents you from dying, thus wouldn't archive Cursed gear)

On a completed King's Curse the survivor doesn't die, it just wanders away now lost to the settlement

"They are dead"

as they walk off into the vast darkness never to be seen again except when they come back and potentially scare the shit outta someone by removing the mask and showing its them

It's weird

All these "is dead/vanished/gets eaten whole" kind of deals are really weird when you want to trigger events relating to "Death".

Yeah, I personally believe that anything that causes a character to die unless specifically stated otherwise will trigger any relevant "on death" effects. Such as Death principle, Hunter's Heart, Green Charm, etc.

Not clear, anything that causes you to discard the character sheet and not have them as a usable survivor. Is what I had intended on conveying.

>Harp might be useful against lions and butcher.
I wouldn't take Harp on a hunt, because Shai Hulud

>complete King's Curse
>come back through Green Charm

How did you describe that?
The curse completing then suddenly reversing?
Or did the Curse sort of "spit" you out of the armor?

any new info on restock of kdm sleeves?

I've never glued a resin model before and was wondering what I should use. I really like the tamiya thin cement for the plastic models, is there anything similar?

Get a thin super glue then, though you may want to get one with a brush for control.

Well, the pieces are still Cursed, so they wouldn't leave the survivor's gear grid. Survivor Bob is now Bob the Friendly Kingsman

Or this is actually a time for rule of death and complete Regal is a rolling CoD that will immediately attempt to kill any non-dead survivor with it, causing you to roll green charm until you fail since someone who survives through Green Charm... still has full Regal and thus dies from it.

Having said that, no models in the game are resin. They're plastic (though these labels are poor since resin is a type of plastic.....) and plastic glue would do just fine.

If you have fancy models from the store that you want to use, then yeah super glue is your friend - I recommend gel super glue.

Rule of death vs. rule of cool, you shitwads.

Then again, I have particular opinions about how to maintain fun in co-op board games.

I'd say that you have to roll Green Charm every time you finish a Showdown to decide whether you simply walk off during the home journey or not.

So for the Butcher I'm concerned that I've been doing something wrong because the two times that we've fought him we've had no deaths. However at the same time we've been playing well and been pretty lucky.

For the first time we had 3 sets of rawhide hide, Without Mercy and drew tall grass on terrain so we were able to stack evasion.

The second run we had someone with immortal who was essentially the only one being targeted and because we had bandages she was essentially invulnerable and was hitting with +4 str tokens and +4 speed tokens. She also took 9 damage from Hack City survived and got Legendary Lungs so that girl is pretty fucking broken.

How did you rush that much rawhide by LY4?

Not him, but the way we did it was by hunting an antelope, finding a dead one, pulling two pelts from its corpse, then pulling a hide from the dead monster terrain and killing the level two lion on lantern year three.
We had SotF, paint, twenty total survival, and a not inconsiderable amount of luck.

Crits and canabalism. A lot of fucking people died to story events.

It takes 15 hides. If you did prologue there's 36 possible max hide resources for 4 Lion showdowns prior to Butcher. This includes Shimmering Mane. This does not include crit locations or hunt events.

Twenty total survival?

How did you defeat a level 2 lion on lantern year 3?

Easy to spot people who fudge dice rolls or don’t know the rules. “While you guys weren’t looking I rolled a ten on that hit location”
Also, twenty survival?!

Ha, or people who role a die then quickly swipe it away claiming the result was whatever they wanted.

I am genuinly curious what your setup was that took out a L2 lion on LY3. That is a lot of damage to absorb or evade, not to mention the end-of-turn grab and drag. user, did you give yourself a freebie?

Base, Language, Cannibalize, Survival of the Fittest and whatever, not impossible at all. But that's the only part I can offer benefit of doubt. Calling BS on everything else.

How did you keep getting insanity to ensure your 'invulnerability'? How did you absorb 9 damage to the brain and not roll a brain trauma? How was that character not knocked down enabling the butcher to target others? What were they doing that didn't cause HL reactions causing harm to them and changing the closest target? I don't care that much, just tired of bullshit stories by people fucking the rules or just cheating

Happy necrotoxic mistletoe, user survivors. Even the cheats and the rulebook illiterates

Is this from an art sleeve?

It's from your inner lantern, where it's always been. you just have to believe.

Dear Atnas, can I get a waifu this year?

>How did you keep getting insanity to ensure your 'invulnerability'?
Her first fighting art was berserker and we got lion testes from a lantern critical on fuzzy groin so we made a frenzy potion. The start of the fight was Berserker>Encourage>Frenzy Potion

>How did you absorb 9 damage to the brain and not roll a brain trauma?
With the double frenzy she gained 1d5 insanity each time. Before going into the butcher fight we used 2 endeavor on drums for insanity and equipped a stone nose.

>How was that character not knocked down enabling the butcher to target others?
We have paint and two sets of rawhide, so other survivors would encourage if she got knocked back and dash away.

>What were they doing that didn't cause HL reactions causing harm to them and changing the closest target?
Two spears and a bow

>I don't care that much, just tired of bullshit stories by people fucking the rules or just cheating
I honestly wouldn't believe what I'm tell you either. The current run we've gotten ridiculously lucky with this one survivor.

Hovel + Language + SotF + Cannibalize (I let my group take the reigns, they instantly responded "first harvest") makes survival limit 5, and we fucked the previous lion so badly that left over survival added to events and depart bonuses to max it out for everyone. We had dash to avoid cunning, and we avoided the front of the lion for those pesky "full forward + grab" reactions. Strength bonuses from events, weapons, and SotF made it so we weren't at much of a disadvantage when it came to wounds. Severe injury rolls didn't kill anyone or cause an appreciable loss in survivability or damage output, the worst was our archer being hamstrung. Ground Fighting showed up twice, which is just gravy given our archer and dartsman. We got an early temple(?) crit which negated two AI cards by making the lion retarded. My friend and I were very, very careful to make sure the lion used the extra speed and damage, that survival actions weren't being used more than once per round, and that correct targeting and before/after damage procedures were being followed. Beating the lion on LY 3 was a confluence of every critical juncture going right, and we recognize that.

Damn the "butcher is impossible" crew are getting fucking owned once again.

I don't think that's what they were saying, what I got from it is that if you beat the Butcher the first time you ever face it, you probably aren't playing completely blind.

Forgot picture

Still easier than antelope.

I feel like if you're really thinking about the game while playing it and are lucky you can beat the butcher on the first try. The main thing you're losing out on is probably bandages because bleed tokens ain't shit until butcher and he's not going to kill someone with bleed 100% of the time.

I'm not in the Butcher is a Superman group, but the fuck you smoking?

Dried Acanthus, apparently.