WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!
Secret Santa unboxings at imgur.com/a/qS7PH

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1744
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My Cheap-n-Fast order just came in from Russia and damn, these dudes know how to recast.
Next to no flash, crisp details, no massive gates attached to the models.
Better than some actual FW casts I own.

Order took a little over a month to get to me.

Nebraska user, you didn't post the interior of you box last thread! let's see it!

I'm looking to start painting my own models, anyone know where I can pick up some cheap models I can practice on before I butcher a more expensive model.

Reaper Bones are relatively cheap practice fodder, but they're also not as detailed or nice to work with as the real deal from proper manufacturers.

I think you forgot the image

Look for horrible models on ebay or facebook. Buy them, strip them.

Just get a box of space marines or whatever you like, the right paints and some mid range brushes. You can start this hobby with about €100 up front and have a fun experience while learning something. You definitely won't have a good time with shit paints or models.

Well it's the day before Christmas eve and I leave to visit family down in Florida today, so I figured I'd go ahead and open my SS package a day early.

Thanks so much, AZ user! The nuln oil is well timed and will go right to work, as will the brush! The paint holders will help alleviate the overcrowding my paint rack has been suffering, and I was really wanting to start expanding into terrain this Xmas, so the barriers are great!

The scabby little guy is there for scale- my current GSC WIP.

Here's the letter!

And the aforementioned slavrune candy- really cool! I can't wait to try them! Thanks again, AZ user, and have yourself a merry Christmas!

I actually live in MN right now, the gf wouldn't let me give out our address so I sent it to my family back home to shoot it back out to me. My mother said she got a package from "Somebody middle Eastern". I think she saw AZAnon and assumed that.

In the last few threads I've seen at least two posts about possible lost packages to Sweden. Well, I'm C S in the northern end and in case either of those posts were refering to me I can confirm nothing has arrived. With the state of our postal service (Postnord) I'm seriously never blaming the sender. Those assholes can not go a single day without a new disaster (parcels stolen out of trucks in transit, parcels left on the tarmac in rain, parcels just plain looted by employees...) and it just goes on and on. Point is I'm not even mad if I never get anything, I'm just glad my package reached a fellow nerd. Merry christmas again T I!

I didn't like the new blood bowl troll, so I made one with the bits I had around

Glad you liked it! Looking forward to seeing how you paint those barriers and tiles.

I stripped some old base I had lying around and I got most of it off but this stuff just won't come off matter what.
How can I remove it?

Oh you can bet I'm gonna deck them out in some Cultist art/propaganda

Also those Konalettos (Konafettos?) tasted great! Gonna try and bring the others with me on my trip.

Also speaking of bases I finished probably my best base to date.
Hows it look?

nail polish remover (without acetone, or the plastic will melt )

looks based

I think there's a thermoplastic which you can heat in very hot water (not boiling) and then mash into your mold. Google is showing "ThermoMorph" but I'm sure there's others.

Whats going to be attached to it? I wonder if the body is a pilot that jumped of or what not. Looks cool.

Do i use super glue or plastic glue for the Citadel Finecast stuff lads?

super glue

super glue, plastic glue will do literally nothing to the stuff.

thanks lads

>200 thin coats
screaming skull?

That or Pallid Wych Flesh

Averland Sunset.

Are there any downsides to using Liquitex Airbrush Medium to thin acrylic paints for use in an airbrush, except for the fact that it obviously costs more than using water?

Also I'm doing a simple cork base setup for my new space marine army and I found an orangeish red color I think would contrast well with black power armor, I'm just not sure what else to do with it besides do the lip in black. Any thoughts?

Nope, it has many benefits in fact, since medium contains additional binding agent, which means that as you thin your paint, you're adding a little extra binding agent to compensate for the fact that you're thinning the paint's own binding agent.

As for the base, give it a wash with something like Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade or Seraphim Sepia to add more depth to the color (follow it up with a drybrush of your base color to bring the color back if the wash changes it too much).
That'll make it look more 3D than just a flat color.

Still a bit more money than I would want to drop on yor mans for the big stuff, even with the dubloons dicount.

>My /wip/ Secret Santa gift got here 4 days before Christmas
>My /r/Warhammer Secret Santa won't be here till January

Thanks for not being lazy jerks, anons.

They're indeed quite spendy for recasts, but if their quality is like this across the board, they've got FW beat to be honest.

>reddit
I'm curious why Reddit is the way it is. Most of them are arrogant bastards and shit people, it seems like.

>I'm just not sure what else to do with it besides do the lip in black. Any thoughts?
If you are going for a desert look, I'd say it would pay off to cover the top with sand and do the rest of the top of the base around the cork as well.
When you use cork I'd also recommend not just gluing it down flat, but instead sand the bottom with some heavy grit sandpaper to make it sit at an angle. If you got some filler around you can add soft slopes to blend them in or add volume in areas where wind may have blow sand against the rocks.
A combination of smaller rocks and one or two different colors of tufts can also add some nice variety. If you google for reference images of desert landscape you'll find a lot of good inspiration.
Here's an article with some good advice
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1744

My experience with /r/Warhammer is that people expect to be coddled. And reddit obliges them.

>Dude posts a fantastic looking mini
>"First model btw. Be gentle"

Okay, dude. It's pretty obviously not your first model or you're already an artist. So chill and learn to take constructive criticism. It's either that or

>"My girlfriend's first mini!"
>It looks like hot garbage
>"Oh wow! It's amazing! Tell her how amazing it looks and also how beautiful her hands are"

Fuck off with all of that.

That being said, there are some really fantastic artists posting on Reddit and they give great advice. It's a lot like Veeky Forums in that regard. You gotta filter out all the garbage to meet some fantastic people. The guy I sent my SS to was beyond gracious about his gift and he seems super excited to paint it. The community there is definitely not a monolith.,

>managed to post in the WIP thread that nobody cares about. again.

Live is suffering. In any way, i've finished my first squad of berzerkers.

The whole site is designed around upvotes and that makes everything a popularity contest with bullshit prestige you can buy for currency.
It's impossible to just follow a conversation unfold chronologically.

It's not really surprising that it would attract people that get off an a tiny bit of exposure via their voting systems to make their e-peen grow.

Is it normal for Ethereals to go nude under their skirt?

washing the gown was a mistake i will not repeat.

I like the unique posing. You also made good use of Blood for the Blood God. I can tell you put a lot of love into these, nice job.

What exactly makes models horrible? Errors in casting or sculpting? Ive been in /wip/ for at least a year now and I can't see any pattern in the images of mines that people can bad.

This guy

He means stuff that looks bad in pictures on ebay, and therefore cheap but salvageable with a bit of elbowgrease.
You basically want to look for stuff from people that knew nothing about modeling, but enough not to use enamel paints. That will basically leave you with models that are caked with paint, but since they weren't properly cleaned and prepped before painting easy to strip and practically in mint condition.
If people don't clean the models, with mold lines for example, they likely also didn't remove mold release agent before they prime. Hence easy to strip.

10/10 would fight to the death and send them to their bitch god, letting the hounds of khorne devour and defecate their souls for eternity.

Top shelf. Well done user.

He is talking about horribly painted models.

If you are starting out, get one or two metal minis for cheap from somewhere and practice on them. Metal because you can strip the paint off super easy compared to plastic minis where its a little bit harder since you can't just use acetone.

Or, get 10-20 cultists or plague zombies or berserkers or whatever "horde"-type minis are in one of the current GW starter boxes. They usually sell for less than $1 per mini.

Creepy warband guy reporting, the fat guy is almost ready for painting.

Thread died before I could get a response. Would the proper way to make greenstuff runes from the groves on this shield be to apply a thin layer of something like vegetable oil to the piece, press in some greenstuff, then remove and trim the rune after it dries?

Reminds me alot of something you'd see in deadspace.

I use that blue detergent dishwashing stuff as mold release, I'd imagine vegitable oil would work too, just make sure you wash off your casts before painting

Whats a good base colour to contrast with a mostly white and green mini?

I bet something like cooking spray would work well. It would coat it evenly and make for easy cleanup.

My barbarians got an adversary now. He still needs basing though.
r8 pls

scratch built (bar arms and skulls) a cheeky slaanesh chaos spawn. Any hints or tips to make it a bit more lewd

Adding some Primaris to my Plasma-Angels and Jesus fucking Christ, even standing on a Rhino hatch, Azrael looks pathetic. Also, I'll need to repaint him one of these days, he's looking a bit dated.

Does anyone know where I can find a Leman Russ destroyer tank hunter? I don't think forge world makes it anymore. I try asking 40kg but they never respond. They just bicker amongst each other.

user, I hate to say it, but you should prolly retire him and make a "True scale" Azrael. We both know GW ain't releasing any new manlet marines. On the plus side you would get to create a bitchin new model. Maybe with pic related?

Look for a recaster on yoyhammer - they tend to have old forgeworld stuff and if it is a new cast it will be very similar to the real thing

Okay cool thank you but where do I find that then?

You're right. I'll probably do something like that. The sprue isn't too bad and with some custom parts it might work.

Yeah get creative with it, nows your chance to play god.

Recasters tend to be very quiet these days, most of them try to keep a low profile. Do some googling on your own, perhaps ask on the yoyhammer forum on reddit.

google "reddit yoyhammer zhanchui email" and look at the results, possibly in the image tab- sharing his email is what got him to be so hard to find - check out how to make orders on yoyhammer too, otherwise he might get spooked- google for his current catalogue too, I have it listed as "F-247+P-108 DESTROYER TANK HUNTER COMPLETE KIT" for 22 bucks, excluding shipping

Oh damn okay. This doesn't seem like an endeavour I can do on my phone. I'll have to wait till I get home and sit down at my computer. Thanks a bunch.

>back banner on Sgt
My battle brother!

maybe another rhino hatch would do the trick?

Is forgeworld resin better than the usual f*necast shit? I really want to buy the WE conversion set but I don't want to get fucked over by bubbles and such

>metal Azrael
Fuck, I just realized that model is at least 15 years old if not more. What a great sculpt.

Kek. Why not just give him a manlet base and call it a day while I'm at it?

It is generally quite a bit better than finecast, and FWs customer support is top notch, if shit is busted up, you can give them a call and they'll replace stuff for you.
As for conversion kits, so far I've never had any actually bad ones there, perhaps they are a bit more stringent with quality control on the small parts than on the bigger stuff (where they assume a lot can be fixed with modelling skills)

Looks flippin' gr8 m8.
Actually buying some GS and learning to use it properly is one of my goals for nextyear to replace my cheap shitty filler putty.

What I've seen of them in the kitchen suggests you get quite a fine mist of relatively large droplets - might not be great for very fine detail casting.

Shot of the top/back?
I assume that's strips of skin or something?

Do some thorough research - there's a reason the guy up-thread was so impressed that his recasts were actually good copies.

Im working on those same models right now, khornbound nobodies have alot of character to the models. I like the stormcast as well, really liking the colorscheme

I'm normally not one to preach the virtues of the yellow merchant, but the 30K Legion conversion sets I've bought from a certain Chinaman were absolutely immaculate for a fraction of the prize.

Give those bases some more love user. They make half the miniature.

But i like the Sigmarines armor.

I've heard a few folks with complaints that get something very warped or with bubbles on surcaces they could GS over, get told they should pretty much get over it if they could fix it. I'd call that pretty poor for how pricey this shit is.
To be fair, I don't know what percentage are flawless, how many gfucked, and what eprcentage of the customer base just quietly fixes it instead of complaining.

I had some pretty fucked Rhino armour and TS doors - ordered 3 sets of both, got 2 sets of each replaced with no questions asked and sold them for full price. I'd say their customer service is pretty good.

Don't think I didn't spot that merchant user

>Kastelan Mechanicus Robots
>CnG: $45
>GW: £42
What is this madness.

It's a scam reseller site for idiots too lazy or stupid to look a bit harder for the actual recasters. Gets shilled quite a bit here and in the other general threads.

I'd use the cheaper one's if I could fucking find them
Until then I'll use less than gw recaster than the super secret super duper less than gw recaster
Also I think Russians are more humane than chinks and should rather get the money.

oh perfect, use the stepladder of bases, I think this is the best option

Portals like these - with an online presence and website generally only last about a month and in almost all cases are just reselling shit they bought from chinks in bulk.

Picked up a Master of the Rites on a whim yesterday. What can I do to chaosify him?

Alright /wip/, after abandoning an aborted attempt to jury-rig guardsmen out of various resin bits, I have elected to try something else.

How easy might it be to convert GSC Neophytes into Guardsmen? Do all the cultist gubbins come off easy, and if not what should I do? Do they take well to headswaps?

(Pic unrelated)

Spikes, you need to get rid of all that Ultra shit though, If you make him Nurgly atleast you can green stuff a gut over it.

Holstebro user who plays 40k orks,

I'm super sorry, but I've been swarmed with exams since mid november.

I sent your package on the 21st from our capital, so hopefully it'll be with you soon, praying Postnord doesn't fuck shit up. Merry christmas, hope you can forgive me, love Copenhagen user.

They sell GSC Guardsmen sprues already. Check those out for ideas if you don't want to buy them outright

Nono, the idea is to convert the Neophyte Cultists into guardmen, not the other way round. File off the cult icons, give them less heretical heads, ect.

didn't duncan make a little imperial force from a mining world out these dudes?

IIRC the parts he used to make them imperial were bits from the scions kit. I don't know about regular guardmen

You should remove the skulls with laurels underneat them, replace them with bigger skulls.
Remove the aquilla on the chest and it should be fine with just sculpting some more robes over it, maybe hang some small stuff of them. Remove the purity seals and the wings from the speakers.
Add longer diagonal spikes to the speaker on his backpack.
More choasy beating stick.
If you are fine with cutting deep into finecast, rmove at least the left shoulder pad for a chaos one. Otherwise, file it down. I'd use the book from the chaos lord kit, cut throug the middle and glue it on there. You could get away with spikes too.
Everything else can work for chaos, especially if you run him as a dark apostle.

I have a big stockpile of Victoria Miniatures heads I think will look cool, and some cadian command/flagellant bits lying around I could apply as general greeblies. Its mostly the concern of removing the cult icons, but if Lord Duncan did it it must be possible.

this is duncan's conversion of the GSC neophytes. I don't know if it uses GM bits

>The Virgin Chapter Master
>The Chad Squad Sergeant

It's only a headswop + removing cult icon and replacing with a small shield icon

>I don't know if it uses GM bits

Gorkamorka? You meant AM (Adeptus Mechanicus) bitz, right? That's where the head is from.

He means he doesn't know if it uses guardsman bits
it doesn't

mfw i found out today that that my country's post company is on strike so everything is going at least at 50% speed, Turkish user i don't think i'm getting your until mid January.

Sure thing

Sort of yeah. I had this whole grand idea of making a cock monster with like, a giant mouth vagina going down the underneath of the shaft with arms dragging folk into its mouth, but once I started playing with the greenstuff I realized that just wasn't happening. So I just started making thin strips of green stuff, crumpling them up and then just chucking them on it until it got beefy and looked a bit awful

plus he's crawling out the sewer which i thought was neat

forgot to post pic