Bright

I'd like to see this movie turn into an RPG setting.

Yes, I know Shadowrun already exists. But I like the idea of a modern fantasy setting that hits closer to home.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yN1xomBlhSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just watched it today. It was pretty nice. Would've wanted some more worldbuilding surrounding the "Shielf of Light" and "The Dark Lord" things though.

Now I'm confused.

Bright is an odd film. On its surface it's just a relatively middle of the road bad action movie, which I still enjoyed, but the background setting stuff seemed really interesting and didn't get anywhere near enough focus.

Well it's an unconventional buddy-cop movie. Pretty tropey so the jewievers probably don't know what to make of it. Give it a chance. If it hasn't gotten you interested after 20 minutes just drop it.

See, it’s shit like this why you cannot trust reviewers. Not because they’re all paid off, but because they are either too heaping on the praise or too hypercritical.
Was it the best movie ever? No.
Was it a bad movie? No, it was fun, and was a decent buddy cop/Training Day film directed by the guy who actually wrote Training Day.

Hard to make a traditional setting out of it.
Since it basically seems like real life, there’s no room for “adventurers” in it, because people like that would basically be psychos and armed criminals or mercenaries at best.

nice, thanks for telling me it's out, gonna watch it right now
I was pretty excited about this, since it's a genre that has so little stuff

So is it basically shadowrun/rifts but without a cool artstyle?

Looks interesting

Or cops. The characters could be cops.

I can think of a few ways in addition to a criminal or mercenary game. You could also include private detectives and bounty hunters into the mix. Or the game could be less freelance and it assumes all players have joined some sort of organization like the Shield of Light, or the cops.

Also, remember that there's been plenty other games set in the modern world, mostly from White Wolf.

It's out on Netflix. And if you don't have a Netflix subscription, it's already been pirated over to free streaming sites.

I think the Shield of Light was basically a White Council type of thing that “guarded against the forces of evil” like in traditional fantasy that tends to be ignored by important people just before your traditional Dark Lord returns.
Only difference is, in modern day a group like that comes off across as looking like a potential terrorist organization to federal governments who tend to look unkindly down on heavily armed secret groups preparing for a vague-ass war that everyone thinks is over.
I wanna know what all the nine races are.
We know there’s orcs, humans, elves, centaurs, and dwarves, so that leaves four.
Having actually BEEN to multiple parts of Africa, I can say that surprisingly Hollywood has lied to you about it. I know it’s surprising that movies are fiction, but it’s true.
Some parts are really, REALLY bad yes, but I’ve legit been in more physical danger in certain US cities before and been robbed more times in the US too. Northern and Southern Africa are okay, as is plenty of Western Africa. It’s that central Congo area and anything around Somalia where it gets really ugly.
Africa’s most prominent gang problems actually kind of strongly remind more of the problems the US had in the 1980’s, though actually parts of the US were way worse off.

And I would NOT want to play the kind of mercenary who works in the nasty parts of Africa. It would be a profoundly unfun experience that’s mostly about killing unarmed combatants most days and working as an armed extortionist.

Too often 'professional' reviewers give really bad scores to things that are not actually bad, but that just don't tickle their artistic sensibilities and don't have a big scary studio behind them to intimidate people into not giving bad scores.

That could work too.
I liked the insinuation by the orc gang leader that not all places are as bad as LA and the LAPD is way more awful then some departments.
The Magic Feds also seemed like a good plot inspiration because it’s their job to look into weird shit.
I get you on the White Wolf thing, but also that kinda only sort of applies. VtM is the closest, but even then you spend more time dealing more with the secret criminal society-like Vampire subculture, and with stuff like Werewolf and Mage you deal even less with mundane reality.

That is my biggest complaint about Shadowrun, is that it doesn't lend itself well to playing other genres than corporate espionage/punk ganger stuff.

Bright is a wonderful movie & needs a sequel. Or a spin off TV show, though it would probably have some shit effects as a tv show. I really want to see more of this world. If Netflix just made a handful of movies set in the world but dealing with different plots/stories Id even take that.

It probably has a low rating because of the blatant Jews/Blacks/Whites imagery. But I thought it was all handled very well. & Will Smith has always been a good actor to deal with race sensitive issues. He always handles it in an honest/believable way.

Another thing I love is the Shield of Light Paladins turned into crazy extremists. I love Paladins but this was a great take on how they would look like in a modern day setting after years of peace

Playing as magic feds sounds like a good enough start to me. Everybody plays a Fed or someone who works for them (like every police procedural tv show that has a young prodigy type). Every adventure is you working some case against anyone who might fuck with magic.

Yeah, the Shield of Light struck me as that sort of “White Council” kinda group that everyone always ignores when they advise to prepare for the Dark Lord’s return, only that those traits in modern day make them seem like a militia-cult thing.

Can I just say that Bright is fucking great & creative name for casters?

Fantasy needs more of that shit, newish names for old concepts that don't feel forced & feel creative realistic names for stuff

>all nine races
I think it was implied there is a lizardman race since we see a street sign of one in the intro. They could be shape shifters because in the club scene (I think) there’s a woman whith a second, sideways eyelid like a reptile.

Fairy’s could possibly be one of the races, maybe even dragons too. I’m hoping they have some ogres or giants in there as well

I did love the little background detail of a dragon flying across the skyline.

>Fairy’s could possibly be one of the races

I doubt it. It got established early on that fairies are basically tiny flying monkeys that people can kill like pests without batting an eyelid.

Makes you wonder how they fit into things. They must be "good" because Orcs managed to get a spot in modern society, and if the draconic race were evil, I doubt one would just be able to fly around LA airspace without a gaggle of F-18s from Nevada or someplace else chasing it around.

They might also just be wild animals, a protected species or some such. Depends whether they go the intelligent dragon route or not.

They could just be animals.

Point. I hadn't considered that since Dragons tend to be intelligent in most media though not always communicative.

Shield of Light probably killed all the "evil" dragons.

Plus even if they were "evil" as long as they play nice & don't get caught they can be just as criminal as a humanoid.

Agreed, landis had a solid concept but didn't explore it enough

Apparently Netflix already inked a deal for a sequel. So maybe more world building there.

Critics praise only what they are paid to praise. Welcome to Hollywood.

Movies like this pave the way for more.

Sometimes you have to make a movie that looks cool & interesting but show it in a boring way, so that people don't get put off because they don't know what is going on. Then later double down on the interesting, & make the thing you want, after people have acclimated

Better be called Dark or something like that.
& have Smith embrace his inner Bright more than he did.
& FUCKING DRAGONS
& more world

Eh, I think it's less insidious than that.

It's just that when your job is assessing a certain kind of media, your tastes are going to change. What other people enjoy is going to start seeming formulaic, and you start to obsess over details and nuances that the majority of audiences won't care about. The divergence between critics and audiences isn't new, it's just getting more and more obvious as audience are able to share their own opinions more freely. I still think there's value in critics, but you need to understand their biases going into it and take what they say as an expression of an alternate perspective, rather than any sort of authoritative statement.

Watch it just be called Brighter.

Or basically superheroes.

Or GI Joe.

Fairies, dragons, whatever the woman with the third set of eyelids from the titty bar was, and, as >57070362 mentioned and i missed, the lizards

Not bad actually.
First movie is about going from gritty & dark to something noble & bright.
Second movie is about embracing that & making the larger world a better, brighter place.

Man
Elf
Orc
Dwarf
Center
Lizardmen
Minotaurs (I think one is on stage at the party)
Eye girl race
Dragons?

The eyelids woman was a Men in Black joke.
The guy who “blinked” with weird things on the sides of his irises.

That's all very reasonable but I've invested a lot of myself into trivial things that haven't turned out very well and I don't have anything else in my life so I am assmad to an extent that requires medical intervention and I need to believe that people who disagree with me are outright lying in order to prop up my cratering self-esteem.

It's not even about Bright, it's just that critics came up and they are part of my delusional world view that I must defend to the hilt.

I basically have to believe that the Jews control the entire world and yet for some reason give a shit about Magic: The Gathering because otherwise I'll have to kill myself from lack of sex, and thinking that all reviewers are part of a cartel holding film studios to ransom is somehow a massive part of this.

>average audience rating: 4.4/5
I liked it, but that's fucking ridiculous.

I didn't think of that.

That is some clever shit right there

Critics hate buddy cop movies, they hate fantasy stuff, and they hate Will Smith. This picture was doomed critical reception wise on a conceptual level.

You seem to be the nice, calm and collected person who made the initial statement. Would you like to have an actual civil conversation or are you so buttblasted that you made this incoherent mess of a response?
I eagerly await your cordial response

>VtM is the closest
Hunter, or just the core WoD/CoD 'you are a mortal' systems.

Anyone wonder is a World Tree thing is involved in Bright?

Magic pools that interconnect like branches of a tree. Tree roots around the magic pool.
Orc ganger has antlers for the antler throne all in the shape of a tree. Could have sworn i was some tree etching on a piece of jewelry in a scene but can't remember.

I'm not either person, but:
The initial guy basically claimed that movie reviewers are part of a grandiose conspiracy theory. is mocking their world view.

Spin off series focusing on those anti-magic task force Federal Agents, or similar characters, would be perfect. It could be like the X-Files but with magical conspiracies.

I'm more so trying to say that reviewers being paid/intimidated/otherwise coerced into giving certain things certain scores isn't that much of an unlikely scenario.
Hell, even game reviewers in the past have come forward to say that big companies hold them by the short and curlies by saying "Oh we have this review copy. Say something good about it and y'know, another one might fall into your lap".
I just think it's a foolish argument to resort to assuming that person is rambling about "da joos" running all the review sites, which is an entirely different argument for a different thread.

Eh, hard to really call it a strawman IMO. You seen enough people straight up spewing that shit that a little mockery directed its way seems reasonable.

>Would you like to have an actual civil conversation or are you so buttblasted that you made this incoherent mess of a response?

The second one. I actually mentioned this in my previous post. I am drowning in rearrage and I need to blame someone for it.

In a civil conversation we might think about whether the people who bother to rate movies on Rotten Tomatoes really represent the audience at large and I don't want to talk about that because I need critics to all be bad people that lie.

A statistically large enough group of people tends to accurately model the thoughts of the majority?

Why are you suddenly starting your own conspiracy theory about audience reviews?

I mean, there are specific cases where review bombing is a thing and contrarianism might be a factor, but once again this is nothing new. Big dumb movies that critics hate but audiences love have always been a thing, and Bright is exactly that kind of movie.

I can understand your posteriorpetulance, however if you really wish to continue such a conversation wouldn't /tv/ be a better thread for it? This thread seems to be mostly regarding the lore aspect of this movie. Just some friendly advice my dude.

The graffiti was really neat

> Jorge Joestar
You monster

For the people with actually extreme positions, it's not too much of a misrepresentation. But for the people who believe that Hollywood is a big, nepotist, corrupt, clusterfuck who is responsible for the rock-bottom quality and creative bankruptcy that are modern movies, it's a huge fucking strawman.

And as a side note, I fail to see what Magic: The Gathering and people's sex lives have to do with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=yN1xomBlhSA

So i just watched a bit of the final fight. Are Elves just that fucking stronk or where they hopped up on some shit.

Those three elves just seem to be the in universe equivalent of Adepts, with the big bad evil chick being a mystic adept.

I thought it was a bit dumb that they owned so hard through the entire movie then HERO TIME happened and they jobbed so hard. It felt cheap. How do you kill two dozen SWAT with knives then fail to a foozeball table rod and a shotgun?

The gangbangers and swat team didn't know what was coming, Ward and Jakoby had seen them in action three times over

The protagonists had Edge.

It was pretty fucking lazy writing though, yeah. The whole ending felt like a badly put together rush job, which did kinda bring down the rest of the film, given it had three consecutive climaxes followed by an overly long two stage epilogue.

Fuck, forgot about the centaurs (not minotaurs, those are guys with ram or bull heads) - there are at least 2 depicted as cops, one in front of their police station and one at the exit from the elf city zone.

That doesn't make them better at fighting, it just means they know how bad the whuppin' is going to be. I mean it was fine, because HERO TIME is a legit trope, and it happens in TT gaming too, but it's just a bit corny here. Just my opinion though. Also not sure why I spoilered since if you're in this thread and are expecting no spoilers, you're a silly person.

Did Armond White hate it too? Because that means it's good.

I thought it had the best elves on film besides the Tolkien adaptations.
They blast all other live action elves that I can think of, valiant though some of them might be.

Jareth does not count. David Bowie never playing an elf is the greatest crime in all timelines.

>Critics praise only what they are paid to praise.
is not the same thing as
>a smattering of reviewers are probably crooked

Well, for starters, the SWAT guys were just basic humans, while Jacoby was an orc and Ward was an untrained but natively very powerful wizard so....

It doesn't make them better at fighting no, but it does at least give them a fighting chance. Since they know they are going up against supernaturally strong and fast Inferni elves who will roll over them if they let their guard down.

Minotaurs might still exist. I believe one is on the stage at the party scene before the shootout. Hard to tell if it's just a dude like the orc priest though.

They were BTFO by that point. Ward is slurring his speech talking to the orc gang leader, barely fighting back. They go from that to fighting of elves who are pretty fresh. The MCs are slower, less coordinated & exhausted, beat up, & flat out taken more hit by the finale. Of course they will get sloppier.
Elves have great reflexes & maybe even strength &/Or the kill team may be jacked up on magic

>We are not in a prophesy, we are in a stolen Toyota Corolla

Some quotes from this movie feel like something PC would say in an average compaign

The implication seems to be that the Dark Lord gives his servants supernatural strength/abilities, I think that is what "Inferni" is supposed to mean rather than being some kind of subrace or anything.

Really fun movie, glad one of my friends saw it and recommended it, rotten tomatoes reviewers need to be gassed already.

Hope they expand on it in the sequel, especially the drunk lunatic paladin order.

I meant the elves got BTFO so easily after wrecking face all movie.

Movie critics became video game reviewers. They are worthless.

Look at The Last Jedi. Politics and being progressive is more important then being a good movie.

A dangerous animal wouldn't be allowed to fly around the city at night.

Reviewers saw hack Landis attached to it and panned it out of hand. As they should on all other occasions, but I liked this one.

They were obviously buffed with magic.

I don't really understand how Max Landis was allowed to write the script for a $90m movie. Feels like he was given a rigid framework to write around here which might have helped though.

The director supposedly stretched the script in ways which made it not work as well as it could have. Wouldn't surprise me considering Ayer's last movie also didn't seem to be directed well at all.

The convenience store fight kind says otherwise.
One of them got nailed in the head with a bottle of antifreeze. & the heroes while still outmatched & surprised, were able to fight free.

Did anyone else see the elf dude driving donuts in the store & think "When the rigger plays Foodfight?" I need a gif of it.

Alternatively, the provide a useful perspective that can give you valuable information about something. Just, not if you only view it from the overly simplistic perspective of 'Do I agree with them?'

I disagree with reviewers a lot. That doesn't mean they aren't useful, because in understanding their biases and being aware of their expertise I can use their perspective to inform my choices.

The Last Jedi wasn't bad, by the way. A bit of a mess structurally, and with a few questionable moments, but overall it was pretty solid.

>Bright is totally Shadowrun a movie u guiz
Alright, this is getting ridiculous. The settings share a single similarity: urban fantasy

What is with all the Max Landis hate? The only thing I'm familiar with he did is Chronicle, and that was really good.

I'd agree fully with that assessment of TLJ, which is why perfect glowing reviews for it make me so upset.

No?

There's a lot of room for urban fantasy that resembles Shadowrun a lot less than Bright does. There are distinct differences, sure, but the two do sync up in a lot of places and the people pointing that out and commenting on it do have a point.

See all DC movies

>basically have to believe that the Jews control the entire world and yet for some reason give a shit about Magic: The Gathering

it's not that they care about things like card games, movies, etc. for the sake of caring about them as entertainment. they care about those things because they are vehicles for propaganda. easiest to inject people with ideas when they have their guards down trying to have fun.

But the DC movies, with the exception of Wonder Woman, are fucking awful.

Ahh, so it's all crazy conspiracy theories, got it.

TLJ was absolute garbage. What the hell is wrong with you?

He is just a massive, flaming faggot. He acts like a big industry hotshot when he is D-Tier at best, and bends over backwards with excuses when movies he is attached to come out horribly written.

Well, apparently you define people who have opinions that differ from your own as being 'wrong', so that likely explains it, at least from your worldview?

Subjectivity is something you should read up on, though. It helps to have perspective.

Magic in Shadowrun is a thing that exists, for once. Magic in Bright is a thing that existed and has since been relegated to "i'm gonna betray and/or kill everyone i see when i find me a wand" which THEN can only be used by some snowflakes

That is one of the points of difference, yes.

It's kind of sad, I read some of the stuff he says and he's not typical numale subhuman trash even if he looks like it, so the right hates him for looking like a fag and the left for not being one of them.

I remember the fit he threw after American Ultra. What a child.