/bgg/ Board Game General - paper weight edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Component talk; when you've got a game with cards what's your preferred style? Plastic smooth finish, linen, sleeved? Thick stock so heavy it's almost chipboard, or something leaner? Do you want standard playing card size or something exotic? Mini euro/american or full size tarot cards? Can we all agree that black borders/edges chip and are a bad design choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1901932/corner-spots
cdn1.daysofwonder.com/yamatai/en/img/ym_rules_en.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like all the components that came with Mare Nostrum Empires (standard retail with all chips and none of the fancy models)
The only thing that really irks me is mini cards
Too easy to bend, hard to shuffle without some falling out of my hands, and a pain to sleeve because it's just one more sleeve type I have to buy.

So, I recognize four of those cards with an inkling of what a couple others might be, anyone got better? I suspect I'm among the worst. From left to right, No Idea x3, Catan, Red Dragon Inn, Android Netrunner, No idea x2, Maybe Sheriff of Nottingham contraband?, Gloom, Maybe Dixit?

>Thread Questions
Linen finish standard size or tarot cards of good, sturdy stock (See most weeb CCGs, as opposed to MTG)

>Black Borders
Don't chip markedly worse than alt color borders or full-bleed art and any such options look markedly better than the only borders that don't lose their luster, white. It's not a bad design choice, it's a trade-off to be considered carefully. Personally, I support black or solid-color-with-game-meaning border, having a border looks better when it hits "played" than no-border full art, and white border looks lame right from the start.

May I ask what game each card is from if you know them all. One is a sheep from Catan. That green squirrel-looking thing looks familiar...is that from Codex?

Not my OC but seems to have most of them right (yes it's Sheriff/Dixit on the right) far left is Onirim; don't recognize 2/3/7/8 off the top of my head but I'm still waking up and sans coffee.

I thought 3 was Timeline but it was Chrononauts, I only got Dixit and Catan.

>second to right
is that some motherfucking Gloom?

>Do you want standard playing card size or something exotic?
As large and colorblind friendly as possible. I know way too damn many people with some form of vision problem.

Is terra mystica as good as bugmen make it to be?

Second from the right is Gloom, 6th from the right is Android Netrunner. Can't recognize anything else, though some seem vaguely familiar

Best game ever

>no beautiful high quality tarot-scale Inis cards with some dumpy-faced scene form Irish mythology that nobody has a goddamn clue what it is
For shame OP.

What are some games coming out in january-february 2018 (aside from Masks of Nyarlotothep)? I'll be spending a large sum of money on boardgames in early march, so I was wondering if I should buy something new, or just stick to 2016-17 releases I haven't gotten yet. Euroludo preferable, but some light adventure ameritrash like Eldritch Horror or BDG are also welcome (wargames can go fuck themselves though)

>BDG
meant BSG

Why, bugman?

7 is Clank!, 10 is Gloom

variable bonus cards and end of the round cards, as well as 14 races offer a lot of replayability

>Onirim
>Codex
>???
>Red Dragon In
>A: Netrunner
>Clank!
>???
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>Gloom
>Dixit
Only two left to identify.

God Inis and Jim Fitzpatrick are great

Someone else makes the OC, I just bake the bread; too lazy to do anything else except maybe trigger people with comic sans.

Yeah bugmen already said that. 100 bucks for two branches worth of wood.

Inis is definitely not the highest production game I've ever played it is one of the most artistically considered (whether or not you're on board with the style). I'd probably actually prefer the miniatures were tokens with art on them or something because they're a bit generic and let the side down.

Anyone else here played Yamatai?

Some idiot over at BGG has convinced himself, that, somehow, some of the ship placement points aren't adjacent to islands at all. There's no way that one of the points surrounding an island is not considered adjacent or "touching" that island. I just need to make sure I'm not the one who's wrong. I'd be fucking surprised if I was.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1901932/corner-spots

I'm guessing it's some kind of liberal because the very idea he's established to himself reeks of mental gymnastics. And dude's from Canada.

Image of the map for reference

Link to rulebook: cdn1.daysofwonder.com/yamatai/en/img/ym_rules_en.pdf

Not everyone who is dumb is a liberal. Not everyone who is a liberal is dumb.

except this person is Canadian, so the chances are pretty fucking high.

Someone hasn't played Gaia Project

Fakirs are fucking unplayable.

I see what he's getting at but it's not mental gymnastics, it's mistakenly applying a concept from one mechanic to another.
why do all republicans call any chain of logic longer than two steps "mental gymnastics"

If you read the thread, you'd see there's no chain of logic at all to his posts, because ships occupy points, not borders.

Yeah he has a fucking Minions avatar, I take it back.

Thinking about trying out Unlock! Anyone have a suggestion on which module to start with?

Just play any online escape room game instead

Give me your best gamelets, the kind of games that play quick with even the most autistic eurogamers.

Stone age?

7 Wonders maybe. I rarely play with autists

>Plastic smooth finish, linen, sleeved?
Linen if it's a board game.
Plastic smooth if it's a portable game like mint works.
Matteish smooth if it's a competitive card game like Epic.

Sleeved always unless it's high enough board game quality or non-standard size.

>Thick stock so heavy it's almost chipboard, or something leaner?
260gsm black core.

>Do you want standard playing card size or something exotic?
Standard. You can fit more art and text on it without crowding anything and the wider fit allows for a better fan in your hands. Euro cards can eat shit. Fuck those skinny bitches and trying to find cheap sleeves.

>Can we all agree that black borders/edges chip and are a bad design choice?
No. Stop buying shit quality. White borders are distracting and clash with the vast majority of designs. I'm an actual graphic designer: the chipping occurs when cards have no finish or the wrong kind of finish. To-edge or black border, no other options are valid.

>I'm guessing it's some kind of liberal because the very idea he's established to himself reeks of mental gymnastics. And dude's from Canada.
I was about to say not everyone of a particular political alignment is identifiable by stupid shit they say, but then I considered how I was able to immediately peg you as a conservative. So I guess there goes that hypothesis.

I hope you anons get some good games for the holidays. have a great Christmas

Day of the rake. Soon. Get your ass ready.

What the fuck are you talking about

I haven't, that's true, but so far it seems that the only thing gaia project has over TN is a modular map

can poltards and libtards please go and stay go

>so far it seems that the only thing gaia project has over TN is a modular map
A modular map is a pretty big difference.

not big enough to warrant throwing 70$ at it

One of the guys from my gaming group has discovered susd and is now just parroting their every opinion. What do? Mind you I'd rather not kick him out of the group because it's very small as is, and he's also a gamemaster (a good one) for our current dark heresy campaign

Consider the wild idea of accepting someone instead of being a hater tool.

>y-you should accept someone who's never had n original idea in his life and is just a parrot for other people's opinions
consider killing yourself

Constantly refute every thing he says (it won't be hard).

The tech track is also much better integrated into game play that cult track. It feels integral to game play rather than a side game. Also, the board is a lot more open than TM due to the prevalence of "river" spaces. That said I can understand not jumping to get it if you have TM, but if someone didn't have it, I'd have a hard time reccommending TM over GP.

My bad. I forgot about the virtues of poisoning my mind with unending negativity over nitpicks.

Ignoring the actual text of any posts objecting to yours is poor form, user. Let's try again.
>parroting opinions of someone else rather than forming his own opinions
>this is acceptable

I don't understand. SuSd reinvigorated my love for TT gaming after I told my friends that Pathfinder was trash and I was never playing again. SuSd has shown me and my family friends a wider world of recreational activity, and as the BG guy in my group, SuSd has provided a reliable source of critical information regarding the expensive hobby I invest in. They don't seem biased, and they talk deeply enough about mechanics in their reviews to seem, to me at least, credible and noteworthy.

Why all the hate??

I don't hate susd. I find them alright, mildly entertaining, even though their reviews aren't that useful imo. What i hate is when faggots go "Oh i don't want to play that game because "quotes susd verbatim"

What is SUSD?

Alt right poltards are mad because they discuss political issues in boardgames from the perspective of non-racists.

shut up and sit down, brits bein brits.

You could try not caring, rather than accepting or rejecting it. You only live once. Try to pick your stressors better.

Basically just this.

Oh, I thought it was like a book or a tv show or something. I didn't know it was e-celebs because I don't follow e-celebs.

gotta print some boardgames for new year's even. we will play them once probably, that's why i can't bother buying them.
we are 4, what are some good games for that?

I did this with Splendor but ended up going full autism on it and printing photo quality on linen stock (2 sheets with the backs), gluing them together and then laminating each bastard card and rounding the corners.

One does not have to be right wing in the slightest to be annoyed at their constant mention of what is supposed to be the right and sensible way to design boardgames.

The only people as obsessed with nationality, race and colour are racist bigots they seem to think they are fighting against.

i am planning on going shitty color printing then cutting the cards and slapping them into sleeved mtg commons, without even glue.
it's already going to cost me 50 cents/ 9 cards which is painful.

Not to be an asshole, but 30 bucks seem little enough a price tag to be a better deal than the hours you need to print and put it together? Of course, if you enjoy that part, that's fine.

Just know that - at least in my opinion - more than half the fun of splendor is the weighted chips. But tbf, I dont really like the game that much.

Eh. Sometimes other people are just better at articulating opinions. I don't know to what extent the parroting is happening or in what context. There is an easily imaginable extreme that I can see being obnoxious, but I could also see a case of you just being a dick that he shares an opinion with someone you hate.

>he shares an opinion with someone you hate.
see

I actually hate the weighted chips and bought acrylic gems instead. Much prettier and more thematic. The lamination helps make it portable to restaurants and frankly sleeves aren't going to be much help when water gets everywhere. I wouldn't permanently laminate an official set. It took me about 6 hours start to finish so overall not too bad.

>brits bein brits.

No no, please don't equate Londonistan liberal faggots with being 'British' (or in fact English).

There is something amazing about the chunky bakelite playing pieces of Hive.

During play I just manipulate whatever pieces are not yet on the board. Click them together, roll them over in my hands.

The full art, no text cards of Ortus Regni are also a treat. I always think the cards are bigger than they actually are when I look at them, being used to the size of CCG artwork and frames for over 20 years.

Fuck off you dribbling fucking retard.

Dumb /pol, /b, and /sp Canada memes.

quinns, please, as a liberal you should know that "retard" is offensive to actual retards

The big deal for me is that the entire power system actually means something now. In TM, you just burned down to a handful of power tokens after which it was just a confusing, clunky currency with no functional difference from the others. Gaia has two extra systems that now care about the number of physical tokens you have, meaning that burning a token is a real decision. The tokens for these systems can also be spent from any bowl, adding a bit of a tactical element where you're trying to get your power down to bowl 1 before spending it.

Also: The technology tiles (Terra's favor tiles) and end-game scoring categories are variable now as well.

I also wouldn't bother if you already owned Terra unless you've got the spare cash, but Terra has effectively been replaced. The only downside I can see is that the extra variability will probably lead to an even more unbalanced experience at high play levels, but you are lying to yourself if you play Terra for it's "perfectly balanced, strategic gameplay".

I'm surprised Isle of Skye never gets mention on /bgg. played it this past summer at a board game pub on the servers suggestion, since bought it, and every time it's just comfy fun. Easy to teach, and I've played it with a myriad of different groups. Everyone enjoys it, and most every game feels different due to objectives and the objective timing being switched up, or the playgroup mentality changing how the buying/pricing phases go down.

Even better, it's mrsp harkens back to where plenty of solid great games in the mid-2000s were reasmably priced for what you get.

>Pic unrelated, but the wife describes it as the summation of playing the grizzled all night without a single win

Nigger I live in the UK and not in London and your comment adds fucking nothing to the discussion. It's just a muh Pakis thing that belongs on the shithole of the board where people actually unironically post like that 24/7. Talk about board games or neck yourself, faggot.

I really liked the look of it but I need to watch a playthrough or something because the mention of only four tiles/cards/whatever counting as scoring at the end really put me off.

You sore points every round, but what conditions are active are always changing. One turn I want to make 2x2 tile squares, another everyone wants to buy sheep, another you want to make columns AND buy sheep, etc. There are also set collections icons on certain ties that can help out someone ahead, provided you also get the appropriate icons on your kingdom in the first place.

It's a game where I've been behind in last or second to last place for three out of five turns and have come back to win. Be opportunistic and you are never out of the running. But you also have to adapt and compromise on what you buy as your plans go to shit frequently.

I don't know how the video phrased it or what your problem is with that, specifically. There's "these are the four ways to score points this game" laid out at the start, some of the tiles are worth bonus points for things, and some of the tiles give you extra income to bid with.

It's very rare for a tile to be worth literally no points and honestly some times you'd rather draw crappy tiles as it means you can price them low, leaving more money to buy other people's stuff.

>end-game scoring categories are variable now as well.
they also were in TM, with an expansion
>and your comment adds fucking nothing to the discussion.
as opposed to your muh pol reeing
>Talk about board games or neck yourself, faggot.
you first, sweetie :^)

Yeah, the thing I read made it sound like you could be fucked over by scoring changing at the end of the game.

Every time you bitch about liberals, you show your ass.

>they also were in TM, with an expansion
Well, to a much greater extent is what I meant. TM is "always area scoring + one of four possible scorings" and only if you own the expansion, Gaia is "two of six possible scorings".

Never been a fan of Hive but good bakelite has really grown on me the last couple years and I didn't think it would. The faux stones in Jarl are very nice and I thought swapping from wood pieces was a mistake until handling them. Just got a chance to play Greedy Greedy Goblins again a couple weeks back, I'm convinced it's Richard Garfield saying "I can do Galaxy Trucker in half the time and for families" and honestly I think the plastic beats cardboard tiles in that format of speed grabbing 1" squares.

It looks good and gets great reviews but between Carc and Lanterns (which is killing it for me lately) a new tile placement is so far down my list of desires I keep ignoring it in favor of looking at other games. I'm also convinced winning the kennerspiel is a curse that makes a game ignored for 2 years. Took everyone a long time to notice Istanbul; but then in the last year it got half a dozen reviews talking about how good it was.

No, it's all up front; the only randomness is the tiles drawn which isn't a huge deal in an auction game. The first round or two can be a little rough, as if you draw a few really good tiles you won't have enough money to make sure they go for a "fair" price but that's why you're forced to throw away one of the tiles you draw.

The Finnish Hong Kong potlatch Sun dancing dream walking roundabout 2x4s was a mistake

The thing is is all info is public except for available cash and the price setting base. If the table pays attention, don't let someone who already has 4 cattle get the cattle scoring tile.

>I'm convinced it's Richard Garfield saying "I can do Galaxy Trucker in half the time and for families

Go on user, I'm listening

Well I would rather put them in an early grave but I don't want to go to jail.

What did you get for Christmas, /bgg/? Got myself pic related.

Got myself a bunch of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn expansions, which are all great, as well as modern art and junta.

The junta rulebook made my west coast chinks laugh, the assassin example in the rulebook features three of them, and gaming with them is nothing but backstabbing, banter, and revenge. I told them we'd play it next time I am in BC, and their reply was "why? This is what we already do, every game".

Same.
No regerts.

Also me.
Some regrets. Maybe I'm not in the right mood these days.

How come /pol/ has to shitpost on other boards?

Joke's on you, Christmas hasn't arrived here yet! A couple of more hours, though.

Nothing from Essen makes it to the U.S. in time for Christmas.

>Go on user, I'm listening
So 4p max game, there are a bunch of bakelite tiles in different treasure color (ruby,sapphire,emerald,gold,diamond) along with torches, dynamite, minions and monsters. These are spread around face down and a number of mines are laid out (just small cards) and a guild hall. It's a simultaneous round, one handed grabbing a tile, looking at it and placing it on a mine still face down. As you're doing this you have 2-3 pawns in your hand (just giant tiddlywinks) where you can claim a mine or the guild hall at any time, use all your pawns and you stop placing tiles. Once all pawns placed you go to a scoring round where you resolve your mines. Treasures are worth 1pt each, unless it's your color (red/blue/green/yellow) and worth 2pts, diamonds are always 2pts. Minions let you draw a card which can be used on a later mine and help scoring. Monsters eat a treasure; dynamite is a multiplier. One stick, x2pts; two sticks, x3 pts, three sticks, the entire mine blows up lose 5pts. Torches actually work during the round (though many forget them) it allows you to look at a treasure on a mine, and leave it face up if you want. Score your mines, if you got the guild hall draw a minion card, reset the board and repeat til someone hits 60-100pts, maybe 20 minutes max.

1/2

This is why the right is scum.

There are some problems with it I've noticed each time I played (though I forgot til I checked it in on BGG). The torches get missed a lot because while they aren't the same as dynamite, they're close enough in style (should've been colored not black) and so you often find a bunch face down when scoring a tile. Note this isn't an issue in the german ed (last pic related) because hey colored dynamite orange. Design problem #2 is noticeable in the picture though; the guild hall and all the mines look too fucking similar; there's no distinguishing color scheme and you're moving fast. Easiest remedy is to keep the hall in the center so you don't place treasure on it. There's also the coinage for points; 1s and 10s only; you deal in 5s each time a mine blows up, which is often enough they really should've taken the time to add that too.

It's got a similar feel to Galaxy Trucker, but without the rage I've seen when a ship blows up every so often. It also has the same tunnel vision that people can get lulled into, which is a quick way to lose a game. Want to win the first dozen times with friends? Watch the mine they're loading up directly in front of them slowly and then claim it with YOUR pawn. It works, right up until they explode you with 10 sticks of dynamite.

It's definitely family weight, and I wish AEG hadn't cheaped out on some of the design/component choices (why no stickers/art on the tiddlywink pawns?). But it's also cheap a lot of the time, I've seen it regularly hit $20 on clearance and for a quick filler you can play 2-3 games in an hour and not be burnt out on it? Pretty decent game imo

Because they're bitter little fucks that know they're a hateful minority and desperately want the world to reflect their violent, cult-like delusion.

>Wanting to remove mentally dangerous people that constantly strive to undermine and sellout not only your country and future but that of your children is wrong

Uh huh.
Hey, honestly if all the liberal fucks want to move to Haiti or whatever other black shithole and go and turn that into their multicultural paradise I'm all for it. Funnily enough though they don't seem to want to fast-forward to the end result of all their stupidity.

>they're a hateful minority and desperately want the world to reflect their violent, cult-like delusion.

>Wanting to remove mentally dangerous people that constantly strive to undermine and sellout not only your country and future but that of your children is wrong
You're right, Republicans are dangerous sellouts ruining the US. Oh you meant liberals. See this is why you'll never be more than an expired coupon.

You're just a squeaky shopping cart.

0/10
Back to troll school with you