How do you defeat a Warlock whose darkness+120 ft darkvision combo without using another warlock?

How do you defeat a Warlock whose darkness+120 ft darkvision combo without using another warlock?

Also, both you and warlock is level 3.

Blind fighting

Take a dagger and gouge his eyes out

Is there such a thing in 5e?

I am working against 200 turns of disadvantage to my attacks and he gets advantage with 1d10+2 every turn. Give me something more useful.

Buy dispel scrolls and get rid of his darkness.

>A creature with darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.

It's not normal darkvision. Warlocks can get something called " Devil's Sight" which is;

>You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

How can I cast dispel at level 3?

Have you tried reading how the spell works, you mouth-breathing inbred mongoloid?

>Have you tried reading how the spell works, you mouth-breathing inbred mongoloid?

Yes but please do explain.

It should have a pretty limited area still, right? Just stay out of the AoE and you should be fine. It's not like it can fill anything more than 15ft. Also darkness doesn't prevent you from rolling 2 good attack rolls and just breaking their concentration.

Throw AoE into the darkness. Last time I checked it's a 15 foot radius, which is small enough for some wizardy fucker to throw a fireball into or something else.

You gotta fight magic with magic broski. If you don't, then yeah...those fuckers are gonna have advantage all the time.

I am level 3 like the warlock, there is no conceivable way for me to have enough AoE spells to kill him.

He casts the spell on his helmet so the spell moves with him. Meaning I can't see him but he can see me, no matter where I am or whether I am in the darkness or not.

I'm playing a Drow Gladiator (Fighter) who's a crack shot with a repeater crossbow.

So it's more just a matter of avoiding Warlock Magic till he's liberally peppered in spider venom-tipped arrows.

If you have any AoE spells, you can kill him. Darkness does nothing against them since they don't require an attack roll, and it's not like he's actually hiding from you because he's a very obvious cloud of black if everything else is lit enough and he's attacking from range.

In fact, any caster can outdo a Warlock in pretty much all but cantrip damage.

At level 3 only reliable spell I can think of is shatter and I have 2 slots for it.

So Should I just run into to darkness and cast shatter 2 times hoping that he will fail both of his saves and will die with 6d8 damage?

How do you avoid 1d10+3 attack with advantage?

why do you want to kill your party member again?
if you have a problem with his character dominating the game talk to them like an adult would!
>stop being a passive agressive cunt and grow up

Wow, way to assume. This was a challenge proposed to me by DM who is a friend of mine. I am stuck so I came Veeky Forums to ask for advice.

Jesus man, how do you manage to go on with your life with this kind of attitude.

Spells that might affect them:
Sleep, Thunderwave, Cloud of daggers, Shatter, Entangle, Flaming sphere, Spike Growth, Moonbeam, Burning hands, Web, Arms of Hadar, Hellish rebuke, and maybe some extra spells from Xenathar's guide.

All these spell are level 2 or lower and can be aimed into the darkness to either damage or obstruct the warlock in question one way or another.

Nice, thanks. A lot of spells on your list are not going to work but I think I can manage to kill it with burning hands and shatter. However, now the challenge is to live that many turns, I don't think it is manageable.

It really depends on what your goal is. I doubt that your actual goal is to kill the player (I hope not) but assuming you are talking about a bladelock, then entangle and spike growth will put the hurt on his DPS, or force him to use eldritch blast meaning he doesn't have advantage assuming the enemies are not in the darkness (which they shouldn't be).

I have no idea what your campaign is and what the goals are, but this shit get's easier to deal with on later levels.

I doubt that your actual goal is to kill the player (I hope not)
> then entangle and spike growth will put the hurt on his DPS, or force him to use eldritch blast meaning he doesn't have advantage assuming the enemies are not in the darkness (which they shouldn't be).

You got it wrong. He will most probably try to keep at long range with his 120 feet reach only use eldritch blast with +3 charisma modifier. He gets advantage to his attacks even if I am not in the darkness because I can't see my attacker.

Ah, yes but that depends on how rules strict you are. If you follow the rules page by page then yeah I concede my point.

But the people in my group generally prefer a sense of logic in their games (as far as that goes ofcourse), and that big walking ball of darkness shooting magic out of it's ass is by our definition not a "unseen attacker", just one that's really difficult to hit with standard attack rolls.

Take Invisibility. The warlock won't have enough spell slots to keep Darkness running compared to the amount of time you can keep Invisibility running (10 minutes of darkness per cast versus 1 hour of invisibility per cast). Wait the blighter out.

Fucking hell this actually sounds like it could work. At least it turns it into a fair fight. Thanks, my man.

Run out of the darkness, get behind cover. Wait him out. Remember the dodge action.

Unless he has immunity vs sleep, sleep is insanely good against players.

Why are you letting him stay at 120 feet from you? Corner the fucker instead. Stab him in his sleep. Set his house on fire. Poison his food. Derail his carriage into a ravine.

Agreeing to fight on your enemy's terms is just stupid.

>He casts the spell on his helmet so the spell moves with him.
The spell is point-targeted. You can't do this.

>warlock

>with advantage
Only if you're also in the darkness.

Lead him into a trap. Traps don't need to see their target.

Wouldn't the Drow's Dark Vision counteract/negate the Darkness advantage the Warlock has?
I don't have the book on hand the check.

Dark Vision cannot see past magical darkness.

>fucking retarded nud&d

Pretty sure that has been a thing since the older editions.

casting daylight

Cast shatter, then do it again. The warlock dies since he wasted his turn casing darkness.

>pretty sure
>doesn't know
Watch out guys we've got a post-2000 birthdate coming through

You could always correct me by posting a copy of AD&D or something. Who am I kidding,
you're just here to shitpost for (you)'s.

inb4 you argue in circles for hours just to avoid being proven wrong.

>make a retarded claim that you don't know the veracity of
>p-prove me wrong or you're a shitposter
Nice, the current generation proves itself retarded once again

And so we begin.

It should be noted that if you were correct then you would've posted proof to make me look like an idiot. Oh well, you exposed your hand.
Better luck next time.

>I'm retarded and you can't prove otherwise
You're right, I can't prove you aren't retarded

>If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.

any spell caster uses a level 3 light spell, problem solved.

>If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it.

just read the spell dude, you can

solving the problem using house rules is stupid. Let's say you were 20 feet away you don't see who the giant dark blob is shooting at until the arrows are already in your face. Your house rules are dumb.

Is this Neutral Evil done right?

>metagame solutions for a metagame problem
Yep, that's NE alright

Have you tried not playing D&D?

You don't need to kill him with that, any AoE with half damage on save has a chance of breaking his concentration.
On top of that he only has two slots and you have at least 5
Thunderwave/Shatter his ass.

Do you not know how to defeat this? It's creatures that have blind sight.

Cast sleep? He goes unconcious and breaks concentration then you walk up and kill him in any number of ways

>your GM lets him cheat by applying area spells to items to completely negate their limitations.

You're dead mate. With GM preference on his side, he's unbeatable.

>scroll

Kill him in his sleep.

@57084265
You could have by dropping an image of the dark vision / magic darkness interaction.

I don't know if you literally didn't understand or are just low-effort shitposting. Either way, you're retarded

dispel magic. throwing fireballs in the direction of the sound. tremmorsense.

>playing smart because you want to win
>neutral evil
it's like alignments mean nothing anymore.

Not him, and silly argument, but...

Positive claim has the burden of proof.

Creatures that rely on senses other than sight. (Like spiders.)

you cast invisibility and wait for his darkness to wear off and then fuck him up

>not casting magic missle into the darkness

I wasn't going to revive this thread but fuck this. Jesus Christ, nu/tg/ is really fucked. Most of the posters don't even know DnD rules and lack the basic comprehension abilities.

Read the fucking spell
>If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it.

No, you can not see him while he is in darkness, therefore he gets advantage because he is an unseen attacker.

You can not have access to a level 3 light spell at level 3.

You can not cast a scroll if you do not meet the required level of the spell.

You don't have access to dispel magic at level 3.

You can't target the enemies which you can not see therefore you cannot cast magic missiles.

Read the fucking thread, you need to do it with a level 3 PC.

>Isn't being worn

FUCK. Okay, he casts it on his dagger.

>or carried

HE IS HOLDING HIS FUCKING DAGGER IN HIS HAND.

>isn't being worn OR CARRIED
So, what, he plunges the dagger into the ground to cast the spell on it.
Now what, you dense motherfucker?

No need to. HE CAN LITERALLY HOLD THE OBJECT READ THE FUCKING SPELL

> you choose is on an object you are holding

That's a form of carrying.

>illiteracy

user, the moment you move the object while you are holding it, it is being carried, which causes the spell to fall apart.
Seriously, where do you think the 'very specific wording' trope comes from?

Dark Vision is not the same as Devil's Sight.

>57088791

I have 'tism please don't make me punch my computer again.

I will concede that you are correct in this respect. However, looking at the OP, it seems foolish to assume that OP means regular darkvision when specifying Warlocks, as they are known for having a combo that works in the way specified and if OP had not known this when posting then he wouldn't have specified Warlock when he could have said "How do you beat Tiefling/Gnome/Elf/Dwarf Cleric/Wizard/Whatever + Darkness combo?"

"or"

I knew what he was talking about, my post was specifically in response to this guy Honestly, I don't know why he linked to my post saying that dark vision can't see past magical darkness.

That was an accident on my end. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>complains about nu-tg
>doesn't recognize Veeky Forums memes

really makes you think

Your in 5th Ed Even in 3.5 this Was ez

A party of 4 3rd level characters in 3.5 or 5th can Take this guy out a number of ways.

My 7th level Party(3.5 and pathfinder material) ( Who I plan to drop ToH on Because I'm getting bored behind the screen, and Convinced even with a shit ton of forewarning it will still be a TPK cause my players Just aren't the brightest bulbs. ) Solved for a Warlock using "Deeper Darkness" and Devil's sight because that existed in 3.5 too By having the Psion's psicrystal Fly above the vertical Limit of the spell And Use Sighted (Ex)
Although it has no physical sensory organs, a psicrystal can telepathically sense its environment as well as a creature with normal vision and hearing. Darkness (even supernatural darkness) is irrelevant, as are areas of supernatural silence, though a psicrystal still can’t discern invisible or ethereal beings. A psicrystal’s sighted range is 40 feet.

They did this literally last session.

>another functional illiterate is going to make this guy explode

kek

What the fuck does that have to do with neutral evil?

OP said Darkvision, not Devil’s Sight.

It’s clearly a one-on-one fight.

Shatter and hope it breaks concentration

Longbow just shoot him until he dies from long range where he can do exactly jack shit about it.

Bear totem barbarian, smack him until his puny health pool fucks him.

Off the top of my head:

Range, longbow have 600ft range kite the little faggot until one lands.

Vengance paladin (or any barbarian) use vow of enmity (or reckless attacks) to remove disadvantage then throw out as many attacks as possible (offhand weapon/punch) to force concentration checks, smite if one lands.

Storm cleric throw a max damage shatter even if they past the save they will need a 20+ to maintain the spell.

>You can not cast a scroll if you do not meet the required level of the spell.
"If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC is 10+Spell Level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect."