D&D Pods

There are a shitload of D&D podcasts and youtube shows out there these days, but it seems like a lot of them abandon the notion of being 100% rule-accurate in the interest of trying to be more entertaining to an audience.

What D&D show would you say is the most emblematic of what actual play is like?

Actual play isn't 100% rules accurate either.

Fair enough but you know what I mean, wiseguy

I like itmeJP's Rollplay series, though after Adam became the main GM it's been leaning more toward PbtA style narrative stuff which I ain't a fan of. Swan Song and Mirrorshades are easily the best series, but Mirrorshades gets a bit more PbtA-ey as the games goes on.

Swan Song still abuses the rules but I think that's mostly on account of them misunderstanding them (like the constant "luck rolls") rather than Adam just house-ruling the shit out of everything like he does later.

It's a pretty solid example of something resembling "actual play". I'd second it.

Revival plays pretty close to the rules, or explain what changes they make to them, generally speaking.

That said, the point of these podcasts are made to be entertainment. And this sometimes means doing things in order to make a more interesting show rather than a perfectly accurate game of D&D.

Swan Song, Mirrorshades, West Marches, Balance of Power, Court of Swords.

Also Pendragon on Steven's channel after he left/was forced out.

Frozen Frontier, Hardcore Heroes, Dicing with Death

Granted they’re all based on a heavily modified 2e (except for HcH which started as RAW and turned to modified after a long time) but they’re heavily based around the rules and they don’t bend rules to keep the PC’s safe or anything

I think there's an implicit suggestion in your question which I would argue is incorrect: if anything, ignoring or fucking up some of the rules are MORE like actual play than 100% following the books.

Drunk and the Ugly have a game currently going where they use 5th edition and basically playing CoS but set in Innistrahd.

Personally I find it difficult to listen to a lot of different Podcasts because the groups can get too silly. There is a point, I feel, when being goofy gets taken too far and it becomes annoying to listen to and that ultimately extends to the characters they make. If I can't stand them talking I'm not going to like the story or characters either.

What did happen to Steven, was there ever any info on that?

JP is an ass, that’s what happened

the hell is JP?

Head guy of Rollplay, initially started it with Rollplay d&d but cancelled it, he has a bad habit of cancelling a lot of shows for no good reason and banning people who bring it up in his chat apparently

wew, i cannot get over the fact that whoever mad ehtis picture is probably a decent artist, better than me, but has REALY fucking abyssmal style.

These characters are UGLY,a nd not just are they ugly, they look unlikeable as fuck, who makes these kinds of characters as PCs, who would want his characters to look like such an unlikeable fuck.

Thats because most D&D podcasts in the last 3 years have been launched as an entertainment, not as a log of play.

I enjoy Chris Perkins's "Dice, Camera, Action" on utube.

Regular appearances from different DnD net personalities - mostly Yogscast up to where I'm at.

Regular cast are Chris, Commander Holly, Natewantstobattle, ProJared, and Anna Robinson.

5e Curse of Strahd going back to two years ago, I think? You've got like 70-80 episodes to binge if you're into that sort of thing.

>commander holly
>projared
>Curse of strahd
Thanks, dude.

No problem user!
The biggest complaints I've seen
>in the youtube comments
were all about Anna's voice, so be warned about that - it might grate at first.

It already is.
Her voice and character are pretty grating.
she's immediately sidestepping certain lawful stupid stuff without even toeing into it's noxious territory, so that's a huge plus against it.

Are there any podcasts/webshows that DON'T use D&D? I know Third Wheel likes to try out new games, and Psy LP likes to do Palladium stuff, but anybody else?

I think Koebel did a Burning Wheel campaign?

I'm currently doing a Star Trek Adventures webshow I could shill, we are due to restart it Wednesday.

I'm a fan of Ross but I admit this is not his best work. Uninspired and trying to hard to make every one of them 'the cool kid'

Sneak Attack is pretty good

Bards & Nobles is a great example of a good group of friends with great chemistry that like playing D&D.

I like Save or Dice

Blind Wave does a play of DCC almost all the players are brand new so its very loose and informal, and none of em are real voice actors so its very indicative of real life play

Fantasy Shorts uses GURPS.

I've been listening to Pretend Friends.
It's done by the guys who do ContinueShow on youtube.
The GM is Kevin Cole, and he apparently made the system. It's really new and they don't have a book yet.
It's basically d20 space-punk but instead of dice it's a deck of regular playing cards.
It's both on you youtube and itunes. Highly recommend if you want a funny game.

I don't like Arin and his girlfriends characters but the other are ok.

roll20 is running a Burning Wheel game on their twitch/youtube, and finished up games of The Sprawl and Apocalypse World (2E) this year.

Rollplay has an ongoing game using Fate Accelerated, and ended their campaign of Blades in the Dark earlier this year.

Eric Vulgaris has basically based his entire channel on doing webshows on rpgs that ARENT d&d.

Tales from my d&d campaign is pretty good. The adventure zone wrapped up their campaign not too long ago. Pretty good. AZ has some forceful sjw stuff but it's ignorable and is only is the later parts

Let's not forget that time he evicted iNcontrol from the show so he could try to whiteknight for and hit on Livinpink. DESU I'd love to watch a stream with the original cast minus him.

I forgot about that. At least they quickly got back together and kept making shows.
>tfw the only shows you watched on JP’s channel got cancelled
At least Neal’s got better stuff on his stream. I’m still salty that we never got to see the end of Solum and all that happened was a 5 minute summary of everything.

Then there’s Ehbon
>Start new show, it’s a pretty neat setting idea
>Restart it because you have level 2 PC’s interacting with gods
>Restart it again because you hopped on dungeon world’s dick
>Cancel it because your players are stumbling around not sure what to do because you don’t have anything to go off of

I'd play the green one. Kinda reminds me of a huldra.

I like Yogsquest. Specifically the CoC one. It's fun.

WebDm has a pretty accurate letsplay series
>everyone is fat
>everyone wears snarky graphic tees
>the women simply made their WoW characters for tabletop
>the rp banter is terrible , rehashed seth mcfarlane tier jokes
>GM is organized but pretty bland at rp
>strict dice etiquette is enforced

man I want to do a gaming podcast

Are any of these not pozzed up with SJW bullshit?

Frozen Frontier or Hardcore Heroes

What are some good gaming podcasts that play capeshit games?

Anything with Jesse Cox in it is pure kino. Whole reason I subscribed to them.