/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

Thread Question: Do any normal monster manual/bestiary races live among respectable society in your setting? Are they settling in well?

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/: Stat Wars, the MAD Menace, Episode LXIV

>Do any normal monster manual/bestiary races live among respectable society in your setting? Are they settling in well?
In my setting, orcs are akin to Alaskans who make their primary living whaling and fishing off the northern ice. They're not super well integrated into polite society but they have a healthy trading relationship with the civilized races and serve as the continent's primary suppliers of quality lamp oil.

I use Goblins as a pretty common race. They are pretty pragmatic

So what is the best uncommon magic item and why is it the Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location?
>can't be revealed by See Invisibility or True Seeing
>big bad can't scry you
>nobody can read your mind
>mad stylish
>Identify can't reveal your contingencies
>Detect Magic can fuck off too
I always take it when I get the opportunity, it's literally always useful.

I personally really like the Sending Stones. Infinite distance, instantaneous communication is simple but very useful, especially when your Rogue is setting things up for you to crash through the door.

I'm partial the the Robe of Useful Items, you can pull some Looney Tunes shit with it.

>'anonymous dwarfish barbarian'?

Yeah that doesn't really flow as a name. Anonock it is. Note the user- as a nod to here and -ock as a nod to the OP not wanting pseudo scottish or whatever.

So here it is my First Homebrew. Be rough anons.

Sucks that it's only once per day, though. It's really rough when your DM enforces the 25 word limit on Sending.

>Truth serum
>150 gp
>DC 11 Constitution Throw
>45% chance some random schmuck off the street will be completely unaffected
Does this thing operate off the placebo effect or some shit

Just write it out like a tweet. The fact that it ignores language barriers is also helpful.

Gnolls live in human cities, mostly homeless in alleys. Some are employed as garbagemen.

>versitile
>0/15 range
captcha related

I love using monster races as shop keepers in border towns.

Kobold shopkeep that keeps all her treasure (merchandise) in piles and knows exactly were everything is.

Orc shopkeep that gets real pushy with anything that you show interest in

Gnoll shopkeep who can't stop laughing at every offer you make.

This shops are always messy in their own ways, pointed by the traits of the race. An orc's shop is just dirty, but everything is in the right place, a gnoll's shop stinks of sweat and rot, etc.

My next game is going to have a sphinx shopkeep. Planning on her wanting players to solve riddles when bartering and giving discounts once per session if they bring her a riddle she likes.

I also like using intelligent monsters as mercenaries when my players go hiring aides for their expeditions and missions.

If a creature has a Legendary Action that allows it to cast one of its at-will spells, and Shield is one of those at-will spells, does the Legendary Action timing (at the end of another creature's turn) supersede the casting time of the spell? (normally a reaction)

Second question, if so, do you think it's worth it to expend a Legendary Action every round to get Shield active (+5 AC) without expending a reaction?

>Do any normal monster manual/bestiary races live among respectable society in your setting? Are they settling in well?
Elementals are an accepted part of society, and shades, while rare in most places, have a sovereign state of their own and occasionally live in other nations. Chimaera are worshipped as god-beasts. On the flip-side, elves are treated with the same level of fear and reverence as angels and demons.

That's why you have to get the dosage right.

So I have six levels to be the memeiest warlock I can be. That's three invocations, seven Spells known, one pact, and one patron. I'm thinking about taking pact of chain and hexblade patron for familiar abuse and OP armored blasting. I was going to grab Devil's Sight and Agonizing Blast at second level, and obviously Hex and Darkess by level three.

What should my 5th level invocation and other spells be? What should my 1st level feat be?

Just spam eldritch blast out of your visor and call yourself Cyclops

How do you all run your campaigns?
I'm running a module because it gives me structure but I'm basically modifying everything within it.

I like frontier settings a lot. Monsters have settlements of their own, and they account for the only civilization past Last Town. Lots of room for more interesting interactions, more loaded with the threat of violence or general non-cooperation. Players come to expect smooth, boring town operation, not even asking after shopkeeps' names. I like to take that from them.

The way I ran it, the trigger for Shield (getting hit) is equivalent to a spell requirement like "target creature you can see." Without the trigger, the spell simply can't be cast. You can run it how you want though, that fight is supposed to be tough as nails and I'm fairly certain that the intent is to ignore the usual requirements like you said.

I'm glad you like it

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to throw an axe at least as well as a throwing knife. There was an entire Germanic tribe in the 5th century renowned for throwing axes in battle and they were pretty large things.

Srs sggstns nly pls

I don't like it user. Consider that if a player character uses a normal weapon they could throw it as an improvised weapon farther than they could your speshul axe.

>do you think it's worth it to expend a Legendary Action every round to get Shield active
I feel like Paralyzing Touch is higher priority due to lasting effect, and just SoA the ranged members. Shield is a backup in case someone in melee makes their save against PT.

sure, but that's not this. to be at all balance it would have to be 1d4 if it had a real range. the joke is you can throw it, but not far and not well.

-1 for not mentioning modern Logger Sports

well they don't have a normal weapon

>Snow leopard fur outfit

How unbelievably homosexual.

>to be balanced it has to be worse in every way compared to other options
>considers all criticisms to be jokes or memes

Yeah, you're off to a great start.

now you're getting it

You afraid of a little dick, user?

Frontier settings really are the best. They have a nice wild west type tension with a lot of room for intrigue while having all of this be far more personal due to settlement size. I especially like making the exploiting of dungeons as the reason for the expansion, feels very gold rush with ruins instead of mines.

I Also like that you are not being asked to sabotage random shopkeep #32 on assfuck city, you are being asked to fuck with Gendy, the guy who sold you potions for 15 GP, who lives in a homestead with 10 other people. It makes all interactions far more personal.

Augustus "The Cyclops" Hellheim, a warrior who made a pact with a powerful being from the ethereal plane; giving him an intricate connection that allows him to fire the raw force of an etherial cyclone through a portal generated within his eyes.

Shit's as serious as you make it and a neat background and character is way more memorable than any combination of crunch effects.

Any games I can join through IRC or without needing a mike?

should I have left it a d8 d10 added LIGHT and then added THROWN 320/640

>considers all criticisms to be autism

ftfy

I always hated the limited number of uses for this thing. Ive always wondered what it would be like if there was a version that either
>Refreshed every dawn, but with new, random items. Less quantity than normal
or
>Could be refilled with other mundane items

you should have made it not strictly worse than a spear.

I don't think he was trying to make it "better".

Got hobgoblins running a roman-like empire that neighboors the small country of the PCs, they produce nice beers and have some good trade running (they treat some breeds of insects as delicacies). Not interested in expansion right now for plot reasons (demonic influence that makes everyone on a big region REALLY complacent)

but
its
an
battleaxe

I mean a dagger is worse than a spear, is that somehow bad?

also a spear is not light it's like yall are missing the whole... oh wait, Veeky Forums. what was I thinking.

Then why share it and ask people to "be rough"?

Either he is, and he's ignoring valid criticisms, or he wasn't, and he just posted it to b8. He's retarded either way.

So instead of using a 1d8 battleaxe with versatile 1d10 and throwing it as a 1d4 improvised weapon for a range of 20/60ft you get a 1d6 battleaxe with 1d8 versatile and it's more expensive and it has 0/15ft range
How the fuck did you fuck up the range

Just make it a reflavoured javelin or trident or something.

d8 battleaxe is not light
+light
-die
-range by +range

>he's ignoring valid criticisms
millenials can't a discussion

>It's light
Well, seeing that, maybe it does have a slight purpose as an alternative to shortswords that deal 1d6 when thrown instead of 1d4.
Except that beyond level 5 nobody would use two weapon fighting with strength unless they're being a suboptimal faggot.

>implying the light property or two weapon fighting generally is ever relevant

it's like you guys are mad it's not OP

>be sturdy dwarf man
>twice as strong as the average human
>use traditional hand axe
>can slice the wings off a fly from 60 feet away with it.
>on my naming day, my grandpappy gives me a traditiona dwarven battleaxe
>it weighs one pound more than my handaxes
>somehow it falls flat in the air after 15 feet

>basement dwellers what have never thrown anything

god damn this is 10x more fun than I ever expected.

No, I"m annoyed because we pointed out what were obviously typos if you had any sense and instead of admitting it and posting a corrected pdf you're doubling down on retard.

>be lithe elf (wo)man
>thrice as dexterous as the puny human
>use traditional rapier
>can poke the eyes from a spider with incredible ease
>on my ascendance to adulthood, my father gives me a traditional longsword
>it weighs 1 pound more than my rapier
>suddenly I'm a bumbling buffoon unable to use it with the same grace

Wow it's fucking nothing.

wait you think 0/15 was a typo?

It's literally
>if you throw it it's at disadvantage
>if you throw it at something more than 15' away you miss

did you even READ the conversation snippet? did you even look at the picture?

Could a level 1 Wizard solo a beholder?

Yeah, I figure that you're just doubling down at this point instead of admitting that you put a typo in the pdf. That's the most reasonable explanation for your autism.

> I can do literally no wrong and everyone else who disagrees is autistic!
You're the reason people in these threads regard homebrew with more disdain than regurgitated trash, you know. You aren't here for feedback, you're here for "How funny and clever, user. Good job!"

Even if it had a ranged of 5/15 you'd have disadvantage at all ranges, it just changes how it interacts with CBE and shit.

>You can literally throw greatswords more effectively than this throwing axe

good. ok. I'm a little triggered.

All the feedback missed the point. But I'm glad you recognized that it COULD be said to be funny and clever even if you're not. You're welcome.

This guy gets it.

>This guy gets it

So what's the point?

There is none. He's pretending that he was trying to be funny this entire time. It's a shitty way for him to try to convince himself that any flaws in his idea are not his fault because "those meanies on Veeky Forums just don't get my sense of humour".

I'm sure I'm late to the party here, but Healing Spirit (dru2/rng2) with a conga line of characters is 10 rounds of 1d6 healing each for all of them?

What wizard background is your go-to?

yes, any smart dm will kill a caster trying that spell outside of combat

I think people were getting up to 3d6 rounds of healing for every person involved.

I know you can do 2d6 for sure:

1. Healing Spirit summoned
2. Grapple a partner
3. Walk into spirit, both get healed for 1d6
4. release partner, pass turn
5. get grappled by a partner
6. Get dragged into spirit, both get healed for 1d6

noble (knight) for a second familiar.

Alternatively use your action to ready an action to move back through the spirit

so it's 20d6 minimum for every person nearby.
It can also be used to heal someone up from unconscious every round in combat with a bonus action.

That seems like the point of the spell though to use it outside of combat for a between battle recovery, like a clerics level 2 (or 3) slow group heal, yeah?

Sage for no other reason than getting two int based skills from it. When I'm being less of a faggot I'll take Hermit or Noble.

it completely breaks the healing per resource rules of past spells.

I am a fan of Archaeologist myself.

Reminder 1 int = 10 iq, and you have 7 int if you don't agree.

>using default proficiencies from backgrounds

There's no functional difference between 7 int and 6 int though.

fighters, rangers, barbarians, monks, and paladins are all trap options in any campaign beyond 9th level.

>Sage
don't sage threads on christmas, thats rude.`

Okay, so needs a limiter (1 heal per round?) or just a ban then?

This never got into the UA playtest docs did it?

>slow group heal
>slow
Not out of combat it isn't. Let's put it this way: Cure Wounds cast at a 2nd level slot heals 2d8+(spellcasting mod) to one creature. Mass Cure Wounds can restore 3d8+(spellcasting mod) to up to six creatures, but can only be cast with a 5th level slot or above.
As written, Healing Spirit cures up to 10d6 for nearly as many creatures as you want for a 2nd level slot. On average, that's 13 more hp per creature than a fucking 5th level spell. And that's without movement cheese like other anons were mentioning. It's ridiculous that they didn't think of this when they wrote it, but I guess it's par for the course if it's in the same supplement as Tenser's Transformation.

I hate all of you autistic fucks, but this is my favorite place to discuss this shitty game and all the stupid meme build bullshit that you retards spend your days coming up with instead of playing the fucking game, or making actual friends, or getting laid. Fuck all of you, I hope you all get carpal tunnel syndrome.
Merry Christmas, /5eg/.

No, no.

Prayer of Healing with a 10min cast time healing 6 people 2d8+Wis is also a second level spell.

I was guessing, being high efficency 2nd level spells it was supposed to be comparable.

y-you t-t-t-too

Say what you will about pathfinder, but you have to respect how unique some of the classes feel. And with a competent DM you'll have your time to shine. I feel like the trap options in pathfinder are no worse than trap options in any edition.

But they play like shit, which is ultimately what's important to what we're playing, a game and not an autistic Excel spreadsheet simulator.

i haven't noticed that so far. Play wise, it seemed a lot like fifth edition, except instead of the same numbers being added to everything, i had different numbers on my character sheet.

Can you elaborate?

Pathfinder's trap options are also innumerable and take a lot of time and effort invested to make them just work and not have the casters dominate everything.
If that's what you want, all the more power to you.

What level are you?
I'm talking about the huge number of little modifiers and diversity of numbers that you need to keep track of that really add nothing to game.
The options that seemingly feel unique in Pathfinder are traps, 5e's options are actually options and actually work in game. Which is ultimately what I want to do, I want to play a game and not an autistic Excel spreadsheet simulator.

level 8 right now.

What do you keep track of? I just look at my character sheet and all the modifiers are added up already.

And casters dominate 5e past level 9.

So if a bag of holding is pierced, ruptured, or torn, the contents are spewed across the astral plane and probably gone forever... That kind of ruins a version of it that I want to make where instead of a bag that holds 500 pounds, I wanted to have it be a robe that has dozens of pockets throughout it that can each hold 20 pounds

How can I salvage this robe thing?

if you're the DM, realize that you can be creative.
If you aren't the DM, hope he realizes this and ask him to implement your idea.

Are you serious? Do you actually play Pathfinder? The spells that give numbers to add, the positioning and flanking that gives numbers to add, etc.
The fact you're also stuck in movement in PF and 3x editions is also retarded.

The caster martial disparity isn't as wide as it is in Pathfinder. In PF and the 3x editions, casters utterly dominate the game, in 5e that's not true unless you're autistic.

How much have you tried of 5e?

i've been playing/dming 5e for as long as it's officially existed. Casters dominate the game with creative players at all levels. With standard players you might find at adventurer's league, the casters just dominate it from level 9 on.

>The spells that give numbers to add
I haven't had to cast any yet, but at a higher level I do get a similar class feature. I don't think it'll be too hard to remember which buff works, and iirc most buffs don't stack anyways.

>the positioning and flanking that gives numbers to add,

I actually haven't noticed any crazy bookwork for that yet. It still doesn't seem hard to remember to ask if a flanking bonus applies.

What gets you more damage in 5e? Lots of little attacks, or a few big attacks?

lots of little attacks with stacking damage modifiers that make them big attacks. See hexblade's curse+hex+eldritch blast+agonizing blast

AL games really aren't like home games. The point is that the caster martial disparity isn't that pronounced in 5e. The casters in PF utterly dominate, with 5e casters less so.
Good on you if you want to expend all your resources and become useless.
To put it another way, the other classes in 5e don't feel worthless.

I'm talking buffs and bonuses from your party. You do play in a party and with people, yes?

The caster/martial issue is even worse in home games, because that's where you find creative players usually.

And yes, I'm playing pathfinder in a party. We've had no buffs to speak of from anybody.

With the way 5e is set up, that's not true but please do continue to make up anecdotal facts.

Sure you do and sure that's the case. I believe you.

>with the way 5e is set up, you won't find creative players

???

Why would I lie about playing pathfinder?

Another issue with home games vs AL is that AL is probably the only environment I can think of where resource economy is strictly regulated. Most people I've played 5e with don't give two shits about the recommended encounters per day rules, which exacerbates the caster supremacy

I already said I believe you, why are you this incredibly defensive?

Good thing the 5e system also acts as a limit.

>I already said I believe you, why are you this incredibly defensive?
You seem sarcastic. I'm responding to what I perceive as sarcasm to address the point underneath it.

>Good thing the 5e system also acts as a limit.
Huh?

I say "people ignore the 5e system that regulates resources", and you respond with "good thing the 5e system also acts as a regulator of resources"

I'm legitimately confused as to what point you're making here.

Kobolds are slaves, let three of them get together though and it's trouble.

Here's an idea. Probably needs more balancing though.

Robe of Holding

This robe has 20 pockets. Each pocket can hold up to 20 pounds, not exceeding a volume of 5 cubic feet.

If a pocket is overloaded, pierced, or torn, it ruptures and is destroyed, and its contents are scattered in the Astral Plane.

Each time you are hit with an attack that exceeds your AC by 4 or more a random pocket is pierced or torn. If you are tracking the contents of each pocket roll 1d20 to select a pocket that gets damaged, otherwise the first 20 pounds of items to be discarded.

You seem literally autistic.

You realize the system has bounded accuracy, concentration spells, only the disadvantage/advantage mechanic for the most part and the fact ability scores don't add to spells as being the system's own limiters, yes?
Have you even played 5e?

Why are you lying about playing Pathfinder and 5e on the internet? Who would do that?

Stop believing hp are literal cuts. Realize it's only each pocket. Realize it's no more risky to take an arrow with several small pockets than with one larger bag.

It literally will never come up unless the dm was going to pop your bag anyway.

I have all the elemental staffs/rings made for anyone who may ever find some use for them.