What's your favorite Outer Plane, and why?

What's your favorite Outer Plane, and why?

Bytopia because it gave my character(prime-material, and aciddental planes-traveler) a chance to do a mild bit of freaking out

>"AHHHHHH THE SKY IS MADE OF GROUND"

>What's your favorite Outer Plane, and why?
To be from? Mount Celestia, because duh.

To adventure on? Any of the Lower Planes really, Baator and the Abyss being the classic examples of this. I prefer the Abyss if pushed though, you can do a lot with the Infinite Planes of the Abyss, what with wild and dangerous environments and monsters varying on every layer. Endless choice makes good adventuring.

Elysium. Because it's the only afterlife that doesn't have any bullshit strings attached.

>Mount Celestia, because duh.
I never played in planescape before, what makes that one better?

also
>NG character
>in bytopia
so far, life is good

do the planes have dedicated afterlives?

Mt. Celestia is the LG plane, meaning it has the most respect for law, order, good, and personal freedoms. If you like living in a happy, safe, productive society that affords you a decent amount of personal liberty, Mount Celestia is pretty legit.

>do the planes have dedicated afterlives?

Yeah, the outer planes are all afterlives. With eventual absorption into that plane being the "true" afterlife.

>decent amount of personal liberty

You actually don't get any of that. If you arrive as a petitioner your ego and mind are turned into a ball of light with no memory of its past existence. If you arrive their in person then you are scrutinized closely by gungho angels with itchy flaming swords.

You, by default, get some amount of personal liberty, as taking away personal agency would be Evil. You don't get to break the laws (gung-ho angels etc), but inside those laws, you're basically free to do as you wish. There's no reason why this would not be the case.

I'm just repeating what's in the source book. The place is described as having a crushing regimental lifestyle for its inhabitants. The place you are talking about is Elysium. It's the only "true" heaven in the setting. When you die and go there your personality isn't stripped clean and visitors can relax and do whatever they want without risk or harm. If an evil entity arrives it can't physically go anywhere because time and space won't let you move around unless you selflessly help others, IE your good. The guardians are the strongest of the heavenly angels and provide support and protection as well.

I've always wanted to run/play a campaign set in Ysgard. It would be interesting to see how things change when everyone comes back to life every day

> Bought Planescape: Torment in the Steam sales.

> Has never played Planescape: Torment.

My favourite is Mechanus, because I love the idea of everything being built on a gearwheel in an infinite plain of gearwheels.

However, I ALSO love that Sigil is at the top of an infinitely large spire in the centre of the infinitely big outlands.

How does one get to the outlands?

True Neutral.

Mechanus

I like Gehenna for the body horror. Any materials you need, you have to make them out of humanoid bodies. Need a bob-sled? Start collecting rib cages. Better sword? Whittle some femurs. How about a hot-air balloon made from teeth, hair and skin?

That comic reminds me of how one of my players, a Necromancer, made a train out of corpses

His design was so insanely detailed I just could not say no

Am I weird for liking Pandemonium a lot? I don’t even know why. There’s just something about it.

The outlands. Has some really cool locales from the outlands book, and I love the idea of gate towns

No, it does chaotic neutral without being lolrandum

Gehenna's the most original lower plane.

Don't suppose you could show us?

Baator and Carceri. Take them as the edgelord answers if you wish but I find the concepts of disciplined hierarchical evil and a matryoshka-pearl necklace shaped Alcatraz prison (respectively) utterly fascinating.

They likely aren't the best places to visit for an adventure unless your game is teeming with edgy political schemings/intrigue or some suspenseful prison break, but they're still fun.

what can you tell me about Carceri?

the party is going there next...

Mass dungeons, Dungeon trophy rooms, sweet-ass hack'nslash gauntlets with Pit fiends droping from the sky whilst carpet-bombing you with fireballs and what ammounts to the full-fury of years worth of planning military counterattacks.

Basically, take tucker Kobolds, now multiply it by every conceivable devil in the Hells with Mr.Fucks his daughter but now she's gay as the final boss, and you've a fun time.

Also, there's a place that has the Souls of non CE Vampire ninja's in it in there for some reason contained by some method.

The vampire Ninjas are appreciative of the recovery of the vampire ninja souls.

Oh right, siege weapons, namely those hellfire machines Mephistopheles shits out to stave off his debt.

I think there are some living areas there- not 99% on that one, it's best to do some 2e-3.5 research on adventures to the place I think.

mechanus because its like a bigger big ben with a laser cannon instead of a bong

Pandemonium's really cool. I love the idea of an endless plane of tunnels and wind. Its an original take on chaos, and its not even really evil, just nihilistic and depressing.