EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Happy Holidays Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Get anything EDH related as a present recently?
~or~
How to build Group Hug without being cancer?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-karametra-enchantress/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/give-me-your-deck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Give me dank Darevi tech.

>Thread Questions
I cant open any pressies till the rest of the f.a.m. gets here.
Actively try to maintain a threat status, as opposed to ending each of your turns without no aggressive actions/only symmetrically beneficial plays. Accumulate tokens, steal some people's shit, whatever. Don't just group buff and pillowfort.
On the flip side, for maximum cancer, I have yet to find a more aggrivating Non-Chaos spell to resolve than Guided Passage.

>Get anything EDH related as a present recently?
It's not quite Christmas here yet, but I know I'm getting some packs of IMA and UN3, and I suspect the family might have pitched together to get me a Mana Drain I've been needing for my Kruphix deck as well.

I know this is the wrong thread but I don't trust Modern/Standard/Vintage kids to give me advice that isn't "Buy exspensive mana" and "That's not what the meta allows"

I want to make a sixty card casual deck but I have been playing edh for so long I forgot how. What's a good ratio of lands:creatures:non-creatures?

I want to do R/U spellslinger featuring Monastery swiftspear, storm chaser mage, bloodwater entity, lighting bolt and counterspells.

Brimaz in Derevi y/n?

What format

>thread question
My mother got me a large pack of clear sleeves so that's something. I also got a bunch of those bulk rares and commons packs from ebay.

No particular format, just kitchen table. I just want a 60 card casual deck for under $50 bucks I can use to play with my friend who got into magic but refuses to play commander. I haven't played 60 card in for ever. In the last 3 years I've only played EDH and Limited.

>Be playing X
>See my opponent flipping Atraxa
>ImHard.jpg
>Send it up turn 3 off off lucky greaves n ring
>5 turns later, he's seething
>I have ulted 3 of his planeswalkers
>His deck his foiled out
Mfw I drank his milkshake

Play lots of one mana cantrips. You only need the best prowess-type creatures. Too many and the deck doesn't work.
Because your creatures are cheap and your spells are cheap you only need like 18~22 lands.

Build Pauper Izzet Blitz, it's pretty much the exact deck you described for the right price. Just pop out and add stuff as you see fit since you don't actually have to prescribe to only using commons.

How good are the preconstructed Commander decks? Looking to get in, don't want to be suckered by a 30 dollar price tag for trash.

Good. High value for low cost. Playable out of the box, easy to tweek, how strongs ya local meta?

Most of them are descent for casual commander play and can be tuned to a reasonable standard for about $20 more. Unless your playgroup is all running cEDH decks you'll be good.

what is your definition of "good"?

can you play one out of the box and hold your own/win against casuals? yes

can you play one out of the box and compete against turn 5 combo decks? fuck no

>Derevi

Thanks.

Most of them are worth the price tag, (except kalemne, was my first edh purchase and it is just suffering) i would look at some of the reviews that some of the Magic youtubers have done to get an idea of deck types and what you actually get out of the box and what you need/want to get to upgrade.
Tolarian community college
TheManaSource
The Command Zone
Are all ok options but, always take a grain of salt with what any of them say as they all have their preferences.

That being said, any other MTG personalities that /tg would recommend?

mtgmuddstah

I like that channel a lot but It's mostly just edh gameplay, little talk about actual construction and deck building.

ah i misunderstood your post, my bad

Desolator

Nice try, Des.

He is objectively terrible

>except kalemne
Check the pricetag on Fiery Confluence/Gisela/R&W Titans/Blade of Selves senpai
She pretty much pays for herself now and the deck has climbed in value. Poor Daxos is the still stuck in the dumpster

Erm, and Urza's Incubator

I guess I just have grief with boros in general, but good to know I have a few more useful/more valuable cards I guess.

My sister got me the dragon precon and a bunch of ixalan boosters, dad has no idea what magic is so he just bought some iconic masters boosters

now I have a foiled lightning helix and supreme verdict

> any other MTG personalities that /tg would recommend?

Jumbocommander is pretty good, he only does edh decks

Thread Question
New satin tower deck boxes for mono colour decks! Best deck boxes

>thread question
Opened a bunch of Unstable boosters for the lands for my decks, if that counts

Nah, the only other people I know who like MtG are a couple friends of mine who live a state away.

>How to build Group Hug without being cancer?
Kami of the Crescent Moon permission/Owling Mine. Give everyone a ton of cards, use counterspells and removal to stay alive, help people draw through their decks while facilitating their killing of each other until you can force your last opponent to draw out.

Parents got me From the Vault Lore and Transform

>Parents got me
Underage get out

>implying you'd still get presents after you stopped living with your parents
>in a children card game form no less

>be me
>loves mtg and now edh
>make 3 decks to play with my buddies
>we half play half get drunk and the nobody cares for the game
>im the most invested in this
>got 5 unstable boosters for xmass
>wanna add some cards to have a few laughts
>i fear theyll hate them

I need more aspie mtg friends to play with. Last time i went to a lgs it was full of tryhards tier 1 decks.

Goys, where can i get a Grimlock copy for naya pourposes?

This. Although the guy strikes me as an asshole irl.

But his content is good.

What is your reason for making a deck that is focused around doing one thing every game (usually involving the commander) instead of a pile of goodstuff that can always be used in different ways? Goodstuff is called that for a reason

Because I picked my commander to do something interesting in their colours, for example I play Feldon because a mono-red reanimator deck sounds awesome. If I wanted to play goodstuff I'd play a legacy BUG based deck or something.

For me it only works as some sort of gig, that is fun for a week. As if you have to prove something by making a weird deck and winning with it. It's more challenge than actual fun. As soon as it starts winning smoothly I'm compelled to take it apart

But user, goodstuff is even worse at being "samey" than one trick commander based decks. At least those play much differently from one another. "Goodstuff" decks are pretty much all the same mid-rangey control deck, with slight variations based on color.

An OG teysa deck, a karlov deck, and a selenia deck all play dramatically differently from one another, despite being the same 2 color combo. All BW goodstuff decks play the same, and to a similar degree, they are all very similar to decks that have those colors in them. There isn't going to be that much difference in a BW goodstuff deck and a RBW goodstuff deck either.

goodstuff decks are very samey, what's the point of edh if you're not gonna be original.

will people hate me?

>5 extra turn spells
Yes

How original are we talking here? It's pretty easy to netdeck and lists with the same commanders often look really similar. The more unusual the commander, the less original are the lists. In goodstuff on the other hand, while there are most popular options like Krosan Grip, you don't have enough slots to fit everything so it's up to personal preference and meta.

The only way to play is to give out gifts till you have the resources to combo out or just win in one fell swoops rise of the second sun is perfect for this and I've personally also been using leveler + fractured identity for fun

SBMTG is pretty good. Guy mostly does standard deck techs but he knows his stuff and his voice soothes pets so you can leave a playlist on for your dog if you're going out.

It's not about the same commanders looking very similar. If you build around their abilities that should happen.

Goodstuff lists are all mid-rangey control. Every list is going to look and play the same, regardless of what the cards are called. They are going to be decks filled with ramp, CA, good removal, and big high cost finishers like avenger of zendikar or rite of replication.

It doesn't really matter if the ramp card you are using is called thran dynamo or skyshroud claim. Or if the card draw is a consecrated Sphinx or necropetence, etc etc.

Running decks that aren't "goodstuff" is the only way to avoid playing mid-rangey control. The commander you build around might inspire only one strategy, but I would much rather have 5 decks that each have their own strategy instead of five decks with the exact same one.

>kike city games but only commander vs
>SBMTG for standard stuff
>jumbo commander for commander stuff
>pauper fox (no longer makes videos but the only ones are good) for pauper
>commander central for commander podcasts

tolarin used to be good but is pretty shit now imo, manasource is a kike shill, and command zone is dog shit now that they have sponsors and became WotC kike shills

dev is god tier, i build his decks all the time for standard. cheap and fun as fuck to play. that GW aggro deck he did a week or two ago is amazingly fun to play and really powerful

Anyone here has experience with using XMage?

shit program, barely better than MTGO which isnt saying much

I'm using MTGO for pauper and XMage for everythong else because free as in free beer.

Problem is I'm almost always stuch with graphic bugs: I'm looking for a way to restart the client without leaving games.

WE

I'm a filthy casual and like Giant Monster Games, Magic Aids and TCGplayer (each one geared towards modern).

>talking shit about Teferi

Voidmage Gamer is pretty good, and he uploads every day

But what about the time you have to answer something (which is nearly all the time)? You have to put in good effort just to stay afloat, because of the amount of stuff flying around that can end you in one turn. Last time a person had a Glacial chasm with Anointed Procession and it was clear from the turn 3 that none of us has any LD in our decks and we're not winning that one, despite game being far from over. I can't afford to run many answers in the decks that rely on drawing into combo pieces, neither can I afford the mana to cast them, because of the strategy I need to accomplish

Really? He seems chill and like he just genuinely loves the game to me

In which storyline Teferi and Karn match up together?

Plenty of non-goodstuff strategies have room for interaction. Ayli can blow up problem permanents on her own, Gonti can steal answers from someone else, etc. And if it's not built into your commander, then you're a fool for at least not including some removal in your deck. Yeah, in that respect a lot of similar cards can show up between decks, but there's only so many good answers out there for each color.

Also, I assume you meant Glacial Chasm + Solemnity. Otherwise you could just wait until the guy couldn't pay his upkeep costs

> 2017 Wizards of the Coast LLC
So next Dominaria set.

I have the Christmas blues, Veeky Forums
I'm probably going to spend the day teching this deck. Does anyone have any recommendations?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-12-17-karametra-enchantress/

I love it.

>But what about the time you have to answer something (which is nearly all the time)?

Your answers can still be part of your generals strategy. A Titania deck can use cards like Mouth of Ronom and strip mine and it should synergize very well with the rest of the deck, for instance. Decks that flicker or abuse etbs in some other way will have most of their removal attached to creatures, a deck like karlov can run much less removal if they have enough life gain engines, etc.

If you are talking about having answers for everything up all of the time? You are right back to wanting to build that same mid-rangey control archetype, and are probably forced into blue to counter spells too. Not every deck can answer every threat, and that's fine. Sometimes your strategy should just be trying to kill them before they get to the point that they can turnabout+reiterate into exsanguinate.

Because when my cards synergize it makes my dick rock hard, and goodstuff is the antithesis of synergy.

I'll bust a nut if suspend is back

I know you don't think you want a format, but if it's just kitchen table with no deckbuilding requirements or restrictions why even ask? Just make whatever shitty deck and call it a day.

The other user suggested a pauper list which is probably the way to go. My point of view is that deckbuilding feels directionless if you don't build for a format. If you build for pauper you can make informed deckbuilding decisions for the pauper meta

Well yes, the one that prevents permanents from having counters. I tried Gonti and he was okay, but he either gets hard-countered with some artifact or enchantment preventing me from benefitting from his etb (yay for color pie!) or better yet, anything I can steal from my opponents does jack shit for me, because their deck is build around synergies.

I see, but getting your entire strategy fucked up with a single good spell from an opponent you can't answer is the equivalent of grinding you rock hard dick against sandpaper.

>Playing gonti
>Not playing gate to phyrexia

This was your own damn fault.

>getting your entire strategy fucked up with a single good spell from an opponent you can't answer
What the fuck are you talking about, a synergistic deck isn't like a house of cards.

Your Sedris stares down t2 Rest in Peace, wat do? Tutor for Rift to get a single free turn?

Bounce it with an etb creature like Venser and then cast a graveyard filling wheel of Fortune?

Those both seem like normal cards to have in a sedris deck.

Deal 40 points of damage to the player controlling rip.
Problem solved.

There is literally one single card that stops Gonti that Black has trouble dealing with (Torpor Orb) and you'd be a fool not to include a solution to it considering the entire point of Gonti is ETB abuse. You can play Unstable Obelisk, Spine of Ish Sah, Gate to Phyrexia, Nevinyrral's Disk, Scour from Existence, Steel Hellkite, and any number of other colorless artifact answers. Yeah, they're a bit slow, but you staring down a T2 Torpor Orb is a pretty uncommon occurrence, and I bet others will want to get rid of it as well.

What's good in Rakdos? Had some experience with Rakdos the Defiler, can't say it's bad, but definitely on the riskier side, not only because of the general, but because of the number of high cmc removable demons

1) enjoy the fact that my opponent just spent card advantage on random hate while my creatures still ETB and attack as normal
2) tutor for Chaos Warp/All is Dust/Oblivion Stone/Karn/Ugin/Bolas etc.
3) stop playing grixis

The problem you're describing is more applicable to one-trick pony decks than to synergistic decks.

SPEAKING OF GONTI, what is everyone's favorite win conditions for the guy? As fun as drawing cards off of everyone else's decks is, eventually you need to close things out. Right now I'm using a reanimator package with lots of ways to recur and re-cast Gary, with a backup plan of big mana + Exsanguinate/Torment of Hailfire. I'm intentionally avoiding infinite combo in my list. Here's my deck:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/give-me-your-deck/

Kokusho
Gary the Merchant
Exsanguinate
Lashwrithe on Gonti (lol)
Torment of Hailfire

But most often just the meaniest beatdown crap your opponent's got on the top of their decks

What are good engines for reusing Gonti on the cheap? I can only come up with Sheoldred, Conjurer's closet, Erratic Portal and Phyrexian Reclaimation from the top of my head

Cloudstone Curio is always a good choice

Dawn of the Dead + Sac Outlet
Skull Collector
Palace Siege/Oversold Cemetery
Mimic Vat
Blood Clock/Umbilicus

Does Marty's Bond trigger when you sacrifice a token?

Yes. Tokens very briefly hit the graveyard before disappearing

What do you use to activate it?

Blood clock/Umbilicus are 11/10, never seen these in any of the lists.
Mimic Vat though is scary as hell, always keeps you second guessing

Blood Clock is less good if everyone else is abusing ETB creatures. If you're just drawing extra with Gonti and they're getting a free bounce for their Maelstrom Wanderer or whatever it's a bad deal. So you gotta kill that shit

I Hate Card Games channel

Literally anything that puts a creature onto the battlefield. Gonti himself can steal a creature which triggers it, breeding pool or some shit can bounce him every single turn, theres a ton of ways to activate it

Holey moley, Gonti is almost 2nd most used mono-black commander, when did he become that popular?

Not a fan of Teferi's new look.

The light of divinity!
The touch of GOD!

>Cheap to cast
>Helps cover most of Black's weaknesses
>Costs 50 cents
>Automatically adjusts with the power of your meta as you steal better/worse stuff

I dunno dude

I need tech, secret tech for Mazirek!

>give whites protection from white

You play lots of sac outlets, right?

Forgot this gem

So for Christmas I want to pimp out my mono colored commanders, starting with Thassa. I play her pretty straight forward, drawing/bouncing/countering with big krakens to finish. Any good mono blue secret tech for under $50? My goal would be to eventually swap her for Jin Gitaxias and enter the infinite/omniscience/lab maniac a win. Any other spicy mono blue combos?