Excuse me, Patriarch, but why do the Tyranids strip planets of even microbial life...

Excuse me, Patriarch, but why do the Tyranids strip planets of even microbial life? That can't possibly be worth the caloric effort.

I miss fat patriarchs and quests

Because the nids are a bioweapon made to wipe out all life, even at a caloric negative. Nothing can survive.

tyranids need biological innovation right?

Given how quickly microbes reproduce and how distant the ecosystems of the universe are, at this point the microbiological ecosystems of the populated planets are probably infinitely more diverse than any of the other races which is advantageous for the tyranids.

Microbes by themselves probably aren't worth the effort but the combined effects of millions of worlds of truly unique biomass probably greatly strengthens the tyranids overall.

Did they change patriarchs? What do they look like now?

Tyranids are fuckin scary

It's an eating disorder. Bringing it up makes the hive mind feel bad. Then it cries and eats all the Hagendaaz in the subsector. Do you really want that?

a little.
the look the same, they're just huge uberstealers now instead of fat guys on thrones.

because it adds up and costs nothing but a little extra time in an infinite universe

if you actualy add up all the microbes on a planet its a pretty substantial amount of mass.

also tyranids don't really eat planets for calloric intake, hiveships are photosynthetic and could just jang around a star if thats all they needed.

they consume planets to find and test new genetic traits and to harvest raw materials to expand the size of the swarm.

this, if all the hive mind wanted was calories it would hang around/eat suns (though I think the swarms actually do that too?)

They consume everything to break it down to raw elemental materials

How do Tyranids invade aquatic planets? Can xenos swim?

tyranids can swim.

How many times do I have to tell you: we don't eat for energy, we eat for mass.
We have no problem with calories, don't ever bring it up again, I'm just big exoboned, but I'm sensitive too, I swear it's a glandular problem if anything.

Really? Forcing your gay ass dead meme even on Christmas?

>When you use the devourer biomorph too much

Better use your mod powers to do something about it.

It's not just Microbes.
They drink the oceans and air.
As this weight is stripped, the tetonics shift and the world dies.

>Given how quickly microbes reproduce and how distant the ecosystems of the universe are, at this point the microbiological ecosystems of the populated planets are probably infinitely more diverse than any of the other races which is advantageous for the tyranids.

>if you actualy add up all the microbes on a planet its a pretty substantial amount of mass.

Probably those, but also I think it's not because the Hive Mind does it on purpose, but it simply happens anyway in the process of consuming the planet's biomass; think of it as an accidental but beneficial by-product of the whole process.

>Do you really want that?
Yes...

>they consume planets to find and test new genetic traits
New Genetics sequences I can buy...

>to harvest raw materials to expand the size of the swarm.
>They consume everything to break it down to raw elemental materials
...But they could easily get the raw materials from just noming stars themselves, since stellar nuclear fusion is where most things in the universe derive their energy and the entirety of its heaver atoms are created.

>we eat for mass.
Again, you'd eat stars for mass, Prah, you waste to much energy if you only ate biomass for bulking up.

>But they could easily get the raw materials from just noming stars themselves, since stellar nuclear fusion is where most things in the universe derive their energy and the entirety of its heaver atoms are created
that would work if tyrnaids where capable of controlling nuclear reactions. Plus there's probably efficiency benefits to harvesting materials already in the form you want to use it.

besides a lot of the shit tyranids do is probably an instinctive hold over from the predatory animals they evolved from.

>the predatory animals they evolved from.

i like to think that tyranids were created as some kind of adaptive labor organism. a servant that can modify itself to solve novel problems seems pretty cool but then you have to build the incentives into it to make it do those things and now you've got an animal that's subject to natural selection but can direct its own evolution.

that's what we in the business call 'a real fuckup'

>Again, you'd eat stars for mass, Prah, you waste to much energy if you only ate biomass for bulking up.
Tyranid are just Ctan who haven't realized this yet man.

stars are not the end all, be all of energy and mass

also, eating stars? are you insane?
we nids are adaptive, but there is no way we can evolve someway to resist being melted by the hottest normal objects in the galaxy, it takes all our power to resist being killed with flamers

if we were tough enough to survive getting close to a sun, literally nothing other than ordinatus will be able to hurt us

>he's going to keep necromancing his shit thread

How embarrassing.

Same. About the second part, anyway.

>that would work if tyrnaids where capable of controlling nuclear reactions.
They don't really need to...
A large number of the elements needed for biochemistry are on the top of the periodic table, and lower atomic numbers means more likely to be spit out of a fusion reaction.
Carbon, the literal backbone of organic chemistry, is the fourth most abundant element in the UNIVERSE, with the a lot of the rest of the biochem elements falling within the top ten.

Hell, there are entire NEBULA of ALCOHOL out there!

>some kind of adaptive labor organism
Pretty sure those are Shoggoth of Lovecraftian lore...

>Tyranid are just Ctan who haven't realized this yet man.
Nah, Ctan were energy beings who went sense crazy when they got corporal bodies, where as Nids have always been corporal.

What would really make Nids Ctan-levels of OP is if they ever realized their capability as a retroviral phage...
First you take a Tiraniddo Waifu, THEN YOU ARE THE TIRANIDDO WAIFU!

>also, eating stars? are you insane?
Uh, ever hear of a Dyson Sphere/Ring or, well, plain Photosynthesis?
Astronomically speaking, if you are anywhere within the orbit of a Star, you are 'near' it.

For genetic material. Tyranids no doubt have lots of symbiotic bacteria for just about everything like humans do. They want to improve those too.

"the sky mother is 110% energy efficient, now stop asking that question and go fetch me those female arbites we caught."

This cancer again? Fuck off, forcedmemefag.

I was under the impression 'Nids exist in a state of constant Space Slurry in the bioships, and the endless waves of murderfuckroaches are only spawned when hostile shit that could threaten the bioships needs a good scythin.

Then, once all things in need of scythin have been suitably scythed, ever other bit of organic matter is rendered down into more Space Slurry and sucked up by the Bioship's proboscis as a constant reminder that butterflys are fucking hideous abominations to be purged on sight.

Considering the nature of the process, I would think the Microbes aren't targeted, per say, they just come along for the ride.

Or has the lore changed since the last time I bothered to check?

Why reply?

Because you're going to keep necromancing the thread regardlessly?

Probably, given how quickly they adapt. Hell, Fenrisian Krakens are heavily implied to be the remains of a failed Tyranid incursion.

Not op, but why don’t you just fuck off, yes sometimes the „excuse me „ threads are annoying, but you are just as well, just fucking hide the thread you mong..

Tough it’s kind of fun to see you Sperg out so hard every thread

I agree.

I thought excuse me threads were dead.

Came here to post this guy's answer

Tyranids don't care about energy expenditure for some reason, presumably because GW writers are retarded. They only care about obtaining organic material.

They are, it's just excusemefag always makes a thread when he feels especially lonely and worthless. Him making a thread on Christmas is actually really sad.

I agree.