Weird cold war/high tech arms race/metal gear style setting

Whatever best describes somewhat hairbrained wartime cyberpunk, I'm hoping to construct a setting to play in that lets an absurd extended cold war play out with ever escalating tech. So far I'm picturing something between metal gear rising and an 80s version of the pre war fallout setting. I've already decided that korea, afghanistan, the berlin wall and iron curtain, and various black ops will be the main flash points, both the US and USSR are exploring space and have space tourism and space-military adventurism/showboating, the Pluto SLAM was actually built and set up for use in a nuclear exchange in the 50s, and detente lasted a good deal longer with an extended period of heavy espionage and a futurism race between the US and Soviets that lead to more ubiquitous advanced tech, cybernetics, robotics, and space infrastructure development. The US has a more prosperous set of space colonies on the moon and lagrange points getting rich of private resource extraction contractors, while Soviets have state run belt mining opperations that along with heavy computerization has made their economy and standards of living better, and has worked to extend the life of their empire. The US has great rocketry and a dominating space force, and excellent consumer robotics, the Soviets have a moderate edge in cybernetics and have crazy nuclear science and combat robots to accompany their ground forces, and have pretty decent space forces. Every third world dictator is trying to get themself a mad scientist to build them advanced weapons, and cassaba howitzers in orbit will try to obliterate ICBMs with atomic deathrays if they ever launch.

I'm gonna dump images I think fit the theme

america is somewhat like this

The soviets may have a Palace of the Soviets style tower that they insist will eventually be a tether point for a space elevator somewhere

japan is still robotland

the less pleasant american tourists

Wasteland IS 80s Fallout and directly what FO was based on. You can use it for technology concepts as when it first came out (the 80s) it held sort of pulpy projections of what military robotics would be like.

Another influence is Command and Conquer's Tiberium series, specifically the first game as the technology there is likewise largely a projection of what the technology of the 80s would become.

Maschin Krieger is such a cool setting.

some other setting ideas I've had, the I want some metal gear style boss squads to square up with the players, one for each side on each front for the players to encounter. Mostly they would be american and russian, but there would also be third world assets.