/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Thread question: What build would you take to a level 2 game?

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
Are cannons canon?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/1Kr3ZKYy3Me0ZFOhOQAmKBZlB9JUauhW5/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What build would you take to a level 2 game?
The same build I'd take to a level 6 game, or a level 10 game. First I go with my personal preference and what I'd have fun playing, then I narrow it down to what the rest of the party's composition is, and from there I narrow it down further by figuring out what I feel like roleplaying. Shit like optimization really shouldn't matter, unless it's a really high level campaign or one that could involve PvP.

>What build would you take to a level 2 game?
A level 3 Thief Rogue. And then when the DM tells me it was supposed to be level 2 I'll tell him that this isn't pussyshit-baby amateur hour and that anything lower than level 3 is retarded if you aren't currently in the process of learning the system.
And then presumably get kicked from the game and go back to my regular group.

Happy birthday and there are rule for them.

>gust of wind
>needs a legume
I see what they did there.

Here is hoping people in this thread can have reasonable discussions, instead of retards constantly making up arguments the opposition never made.

You know who you are, and your shitty attempts at trolling are pathetic.

Though at least you aren't the "I HAVE FRIENDS AND YOU DONT YOU AUTISTIC RETARD REEEEE" poster we often have to suffer through

>Here is hoping people in this thread can have reasonable discussions, instead of retards constantly making up arguments the opposition never made.
You can't POSSIBLY be this new.

>I'm above all of you and the arbiter of the rules
Wow what a fag.
Just wait until school is back in session

that would be nothing short of a christmas miracle

>naval campaign
>coffeelock takes gust of wind
>spams it hundreds of times per day
Could this work?

What the fuck are you blathering about?
Autists usually don't have friends, unfortunately. That's a fact.

>Have a game going for 14 levels
>Last arc ended... very badly. A ton do bad shit happened, my character killed a king and literally everybody saw it
>GM is telling me to either find a solution during 2 weeks of downtime, or my character will be apprehended and sentenced to death, or forced on the run
>My character is a Transmutation wizard. I am scouring over my spell book and features to find a solution.
>The Rogue is a noble, and willing to forge an identity for my character, but we need a permanent disguise.
>Considering having to constantly use alter self
>and then I notice a part of the master transmuter feature
>Restore Youth
>Never cares about it, because it is only apparent age
>But my character is a 60 year old hag, made as an old creepy witch.
>Use the feature until I am young.
>get to 40, still not young enough.
>roll 29, bringing me to 13 year old of appearance (can't go lower, thankfully)
>Nobody knows who I am anymore.
>Rogue adopts my character as a cousin
>I am suddenly playing a loli
Fuck.

At least I can just keep playing her as a creepy witch, it just wont have the same effect anymore.

There is no RAW way to kill a Vampire excluding the following options:
Instant death by massive damage
Preventing a vampire from transforming when it hits 0 hp.

Not sustainably. More like, dozens of times a day.

I feel like Hunter is great at higher levels, with huge potential against hordes of enemies

If a vampire dies, but can't return to his coffin in time, it dies permamently.

Shit, forgot to include that.
But yeah, those three options, and that's it.
Even if your adventurers find the vampire's resting place, they can't kill a vampire until it restores 1 hitpoint, and choose one of the options above.

I remember 5eg used to be the home of awesome discussions.

That poster is gold though, he tells it like it is. It's harsh hearing the truth.

>I remember 5eg used to be the home of awesome discussions.
You remember wrong.

Oh no! A problem that can't be solved by treating it like a piñata in an RPG.

>That poster is gold though, he tells it like it is. It's harsh hearing the truth.
I thought it was just a silly meme?

I have a tightly knit group of friends, and a wife. I assumed most people here were actually normal folk, but we just liked to joke about being autistic and friendless.

I dont see the point of trying to bring it into discussions as if it meant something, though. I am not more right because I have friends.

Isn't it a little strange that when you find a vampire at 0 hitpoints in its resting place, you can't hack it into pieces, because your party can't deal 144 damage in a single blow?

That picture is really sad.
But no, 5eg was great and it still sometimes is great.

There has yet to be a single general / continuous discussion on Veeky Forums that this comic template doesn't apply to.
Fucking kudos to whoever made this timeless classic.

Why are you trying to justify yourself? If you had friends and you're not autistic, you wouldn't need to. That's the point.
Also the point is that people with friends are able to talk about how play runs with a group who likes playing with them, when a lot of posters clearly don't have groups and friends.

The vast bulk of people in these threads seem to have varying degrees of autism, but are mostly normal.
Then you get the utterly and severely autistic.

New campaign starting Wednesday. Level 5. Dex Fighter using TWF or Conquest Paladin sword and board?

A lot of people in these threads are really quite autistic and friendless. They get really defensive about it. It's fucking hilarious.

But I'm detracting from discussing 5e.

>Magic can't put elves to sleep
>Catnap
>Unconsciousness is not sleep, as told by Crawford
>Sleep isn't a condition, nor is it described
>Sleep, the spell
>The spell sends creatures into a slumber, and causes the unconsciousness condition, which the description refers to as sleep as well.
>Elves are immune to sleep but not unconsciousness
>This spell does both, which are the same, but only in this case
Help

>Torpedoes
By far an overexaggeration. Instead, it's more like
>Sharks with torches versus crewmembers with guns
The druid comes up, casts a spell to attack the ship, it probably doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to take out the ship (if it makes a hole someone can easily fix it, we've got magic, bitches) and everyone on board the ship can use a bow attack or whatever the heck to attack the druid. Unless they're a strong druid, they're going to be fucked.

Sure, if you have a high level druid or caster it might change things, but those aren't supposed to be common.

Presumably you won't have an entire group of suitably strong druids (And most druids aren't actually experienced enough to spend a long time at sea unless they're a water-faring race) so your only option is to get very close to the other ship, at which point you could have just boarded their ship instead, in which case you probably want to board them. Why destroy a ship filled with cargo, or that you can steal for yourself?
Especially with wind and various magics, it should be easier to manoeuvre a ship, if you can't already manage itself.

I think the simplest solution of all though is that wooden ships are 'cheap'. Some magic process or the labour of hardworking races can make them easier than in real life, so the real warfare ships are likely to be better armoured against shit like seafaring races.
You're not wrong for real life, but if a DM adapts their setting you can have a seafaring campaign.

Any non-vancian alternatives for 5e yet?

There is a wow 5e homebrew that uses mana to cast spells. You know spells and cast them based on a preset mana amount that recharges over time.

Fixed the wording and also added the Lightning one. Now you too can enjoy some of the benefits of being a Lore Wizard without the OP nonsense. Just get one of these Staves/Rings and you got it!

>Call Lightning's that bring down columns of flames from the clouds!
>Green-Flame Blade becomes Blue-Frost Blade!
>Booming Blade becomes Lightning Blade
>Schorching Ray becomes Acidic Ray
>Magic Missile becomes Seeking Fire
>Bigby's Hand becomes a Burning Bitch Slap
>Firebolts become Lightningbolts
>Fireballs becomes Acidballs
>Lightning Bolts become Ice Lances
>Storm Sphere becomes Fire Sphere
>Phantasmal Force becomes Flaming Force
>Spirital Weapons come in different elemental types
>Guding Bolt becomes Guiding Fire
>Wall of Fire becomes Wall of Ice without actually being Wall of Ice
>Meteor Swarm becomes Ragnarok
And many more!

Elves are immune to both Sleep and Catnap.
Ignore Crawford because he's gone full retard on elves ever since he said that they could take a long rest in 4 hours.

5e isn't Vancian by default. If you want to get even farther away from it, us the spell points variant in the DMG.

>You're not wrong for real life, but if a DM adapts their setting you can have a seafaring campaign.
My whole point in that thread was that naval combat requires the DM to adapt their setting, and that I've never seen it in a way that didn't come off as "shut up and don't think about it."
Regardless, let's just let that discussion die with the old thread.

Where can I buy [cheap] miniatures for my D&D autism sessions?

I refuse to believe that you had nothing better to do on Christmas than to make this ClipArt abortion.

If you aim gust of wind down, can you get a jetpack?

>apparent age 13
>experience of a GILF

Is there a Druid with a pet animal buddy option available yet? Even in third party?

and yet here I am in this thread
with you

I had a Wild Magic Sorcerer who was supposed to be a crazy old Rip van Winkle type who got lost in the Feywild and came back fifty years older.

I managed to roll the age reduction 6 times over the course of the campaign and ended up as a literal child, which was funny because then I was able to go back to my family only a year after disappearing and they wouldn't suspect a thing because I was about the same age as before I went to the Feywild.

You don't memorise spells in 5e?

Cheap miniatures don't exist in the D&D scale. Mostly because miniatures minis can be used for all kinds of shit outside their purpose, so they keep their value well. 5 bucks plus is the norm.

On this note, does anyone know who the fuck carries alkemy miniatures in the states? Getting their tabaxi dudes imported from europe is gonna cost my left kidney.

So I have been trying to find a better lore for this Gish/Bladed Sorcerer Origin because as it is it does not feel 100% like a Sorcerer, I'm trying to think of how a sorcerer's connection to something could bring out more of their power or natural magic reserves. Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could mesh with how the other Sorcerer origins work lore wise?

As always any and all feedback is appreciated!

Vancian means that you cast individual castings of a spell (2 fireballs, 3 magic missiles, 1 cure wounds, etc.). Vancian magic isn't just "you only get access to so many spells at one time." 5e's slots are just mana or MP predivided by spell power level.

Not in the same way; before if you had 4/3/2 spell slots you'd memorize 4 level 1 spells, 3 level 2, and 2 level 3 (or prepare low level spells in a higher slot). Now you just have 4/3/2 slots available to spend to cast from a pool of prepared spells.

I appreciate your artwork user.

Guess I'll ask this again. So for my longsword-using VHuman Kensei Monk, I much prefer to stand and fight as opposed to running about. For survivability, would it be better to snag Tough or Blade Mastery? I can't really guarantee that heals are going to happen super consistently.

Alternatively, are there any particularly good +DEX or +WIS feats, or if all of these are stupid ideas, am I doomed to running around like a bitch with Mobile?

It's cripplingly stupid to make a warlock without EB right?

Why would you want to play a stationary monk?

he's too fat to reach the minis. don't judge

I just don't like kiting too much. Also, can't really guarantee that I'll be alongside many other 'frontliners', as it's a more AL-type thing.

It is if you only care about optimization and only care about numbers. But 5e is designed well enough that you don't really need it, it's a good option to have certainly.

>Vancian means that you cast individual castings of a spell
No it refers to both the fire and forget and needing to have the spells in your head

Memorizing spells is Vancian

>timeless body
>you don't age, but can still die of old age
?????

Just take tough with the VHuman feat, then use the rest of ASIs to max Dex, Wis, and Con.

What?

When your time is up, you die, regardless of what your body looks like, that's all. Monks are lawful, and cheating death is not lawful.

ask your gm to give you a d10 hit die in exchange for your speed boost and some temporary hitpoints in exchange for slow fall.

By the book, monks are meant to be papery.

At 15th level, your ki sustains you so that you suffer none of the frailty of old age, and you can't be aged magically. You can still die of old age, however. In addition, you no longer need food or water.

I don't see the issue

>monks are lawful
not anymore

You still age, you just don't become anymore feeble for it. Your kung-fu is maximum until you croak.

>not telling him that your thief is so good that he managed to steal a level early

what would be more fun? because eb+ab is putting out damage near the barbarian

2nd level
2c / 3sp / 2slot / 2In

What's your build and the other things you have?

One of my players is trying to have an actual serious character arc and on the one hand that sort of thing seems like it should be encouraged but it's actually pretty at odds with the way the rest of the party acts.

Do you guys think it's better to ply the way you like in this sort of situation or get in line with the rest of the group?

I'd get in line with the group. I don't want to have a character arc if it ruins the game for everyone else

Gnome forest
10/14/12/10/14/14
c -
c - Chill Touch
1 - Witch Bolt
1 - Ray of Sickness
1 -

Misty Visions
Thief of Five Fates

not that any of that is locked

i love it mechanically

Lore:
Your character has the blood of heroes, thats why the magic manifest that way.

And ancestor of your character was blessed by a dragon to be his guardian. You
innerited his powers and duties.

Or you simply have innate magic and have been trained to use it in a martial way, so you dont go berserk with magic.

I asked last thread but didn't get any answers, what do you guys think of the dark arts player's companion?
drive.google.com/file/d/1Kr3ZKYy3Me0ZFOhOQAmKBZlB9JUauhW5/view

depends on your DM. I'm trying to have serious arcs for my players. If the guy is throwing down dungeon crawls, forget it.

If the DM wants to have serious arcs and the rest of the players are just fucking off, that's bad because the one guy is going to be the start player and everyone is soon going to be like "why you always make him part of the story?"

sounds bad no matter how you slice it

Any advice for playing a Ranger?

Pass without a Trace is your friend.
now that Healing Spirit is out, that too.

UA revised ask your DM

So, I'm going to be joining a 5th edition game soon, and I was thinking of playing a storm cleric loosely based on Solomon. To this end, I have two questions: 1) what are my options for summoning outsiders? 2) does anyone have any general advice for playing a storm cleric?

That's probably gonna be the plan, at this rate.
No homebrew at all's allowed unfortunately. It's any official content and UAs, save for Plane Shifts, outdated content, and anything with an innate flight speed.

What are you trying to do with your character?
What patron are you planning to take?
You could take either prestidigitation, minor illusion or mage hand or something along those lines.
If you get the book of shadows, you could get sacred flame, spare the dying or vicious mockery, etc.

I'd recommend invocations that give you at will spells, but that's up to you.

>i love it mechanically
Thank you! With all the anons who have helped me work on it, I hope more like the mechanical side at the minimum.

>Your character has the blood of heroes, thats why the magic manifest that way. An ancestor of your character was blessed by a dragon to be his guardian. You inherited his powers and duties.
Hmmm...So because you have the magical blood of some ancient powerful warrior entity you are able to utilize your magic through bonded weapons? Kinda like a Divine Soul sorcerer but with weapons right? Not bad.

>Or you simply have innate magic and have been trained to use it in a martial way, so you don't go berserk with magic.

Like a magical limiter to make it so your magic does not get out of control (like a Wild Sorcerer) or do you mean you were taught it as a precaution to not over use your magic? I like the first one second one seems more like a savant type character.

Simple really, by disallowing homebrew, you're stuck being whatever the designers intended the class to be. Thus, you can never play against the class. Be something else if you want to be a tanky sword wielding faggot.

Barbarian if you want to he naked, fighter if you don't mind armor. Refluff as nessesary.

Erase Battlemaster as a player option:

The first figthing style gives you 2 manouvers and 1 superiority dice. (you start with1d6)

Every extra attack gives you 2 manouvers 2 superiority dice.
The dice size goes up for every extra attack you get, if you dont have a fighting style you start with 1d6. If you get the martial adept and no fighting style your superiority dice size also goes up.
All the classes have this options ¿thoughs?.

>Thus, you can never play against the class.
You can always play against class, play the low Charisma high Int Bard or Dexbarb. Play a Strength-Based Rogue or Monk.

Refluffing is by design playing against the class by changing what the book has written in as RAW. None of this is bad by the way you should always do this all I'm saying is that technically you are "playing against the class" when you do these things.

Give fighter something in exchange for giving away his only subclass worth a shit.

Otherwise, okay.

Eberron books when?

Who the heck is virt?

Oh, sweet summer child. It's best you don't know.

Not really. Fluff is not rules, the whole reason you have a conponent named so is to tell them apart.

You don't want to know.

A warlock without Eldritch Blast is going to be pretty useless in combat unless you use one of a handful of builds. I mean, it works if you play in a game where combat is very uncommon, but that's already stepping outside of what 5e does well given the majority of the system is balanced around combat

No seriously who is he?

a tripfag that everyone hated who eventually got banned woo

Going off Mearls comments in his AMA, probably very soon. He's said he "wouldn't be surprised if Keith Baker worked with them in 2018 in some capacity".

Better idea, get rid of Champion and make all of its features apply to base Fighter

>eventually got banned
It took over a year and a change in management (m00t to Hiroshim00t), "eventually" is underselling it.
Is he still butthurt enough to blog on tumblr and make shitty Microsoft Sam youtube rap videos telling Veeky Forums to eat shit? I remember his life used to revolve around this place.

The fuck is a coffeelock?

A warlock that drinks a lot of coffee

aspect of the moon warlocks do not require sleep anymore. people thought it meant they could take non stop short rests to get their spell slots back while not resting at all.

pissblast as a cantrip

what's a timeless icon of this game I could use as a silhouette? already used dragon

>Thread question: What build would you take to a level 2 game?
Probably an immortal or wu jen mystic, since I wanna play a mystic badly.
If UA is disallowed, then a Circle of the moon druid which shape shifts into Lions/tigers and the like Or a ranger who basically a falconer