Anyone here like shogi?

Anyone here like shogi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pkz0LVBg0W4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I went to university in a very multicultural, international city in Canada. Spent my first few years in my undergrad surrounded by Japanese students that would work super hard and live at school. In between classes they would play Shogi. Got super into it, and wanted to get a board for myself. Despite being in an international city, couldn't find a good board that had nice boards or pieces. Get my father to buy me a set online and ship it to his house. Go to pick it up over winter break, and i open it to make sure the pieces are in one piece. He sees the shogi board and is like, "Oh that? I have a set from when my Dad and I went to Japan before you were born". Proceeds to pull out the family shogi board, and whips my ass after I re-teach him the game.

Years later. I still suck at Shogi.

I can't find a good shogi board here either.

> Family shogi board

Is your family Japanese?

>I can't find a good shogi board here either.

I ended up finding them through amazon at the time (was maybe 5 years ago now).

>Is your family Japanese?

My family is so diluted with many nations that I am a mutt at heart. My grandfather had a branch of the company he founded in Japan. One of the gifts he got was a shogi board that was later gifted to my father, and then when I took an interest in the game, gifted to myself.

I learned to play by following a channel named Hidetchi on youtube, and would later play a lot online. All these years later, I still suck.

Fucking love it. I generally just play against a computer when I am bored though.

I am not very good at all, but can beat normal mode on a computer. Despite being terrible, I still find it MUCH more satisfying than chess.

I find it so much more tactically satisfying with the capture and promotion rules.

I've always wanted to play it ever since I saw best girl in Persona 5 teach it to the MC. She made it sound really interesting, atleast generally than chess. What's the deal?

>What's the deal?

Two players sit down across each-other from the board, a board consisting of 9x9 squares for a total of 81 squares. The orientation of the pieces determine if they are black or white, friendly pieces face towards your opponent, enemy pieces face towards you.

You have a total of 20 pieces, 9x pawns, 1x rook 1x bishop 2x lances, 2x knights, 2x silver generals, 2x gold generals, 1x king.

Pieces may choose to promote when entering the enemy camp (the last 3 rows on your opponent's side of board). They must promote however, if their next move would take them off the board. All pieces promote to gold generals except the rook and the bishop, which keep thier original movement but may opt to move like a king for one turn. The other pieces that do not promote are the King and the Gold General.

When you capture pieces, they are demoted back to their original rank, and are put aside of the board. On a turn you may opt to drop a piece unto the board instead of moving a piece.

The piece that is being dropped must meet the follow rules. The piece dropped must be dropped unpromoted. The piece dropped must be able to move the following turn. Checkmating the king with a pawn drop is prohibited (however putting him into check is okay). Pawns cannot be placed in columns in which you have unpromoted pawns.

I've never played it, but I find it really interesting as someone who used to play a lot of Chess.

I want to learn it for my wife

>I want to learn it for my wife

youtube.com/watch?v=Pkz0LVBg0W4

I have a nice go board my grandpa used as a coffee table topper, he was stationed in Japan in the sixties. It's not impossible, my entire family is from Kansas as far back as Kansas was a thing.

> It's not impossible, my entire family is from Kansas as far back as Kansas was a thing.

I was the one that made the post about the "Family Board". My dad side is American, German, with some UK dabbled in it. I called it the family board since it was gifted to my Grand Father by the head of the Japanese branch of the company he had, and from him was gifted to my Father, and then from my Father to me!

I think I would really enjoy it. But I can't remember what all the "words" mean. I wish there was a symbols version .

>I wish there was a symbols version.

I taught my cousins by using paper cut outs of the "international pieces" that are commonly used to teach us westerners. Over time you can substitute them with the real pieces and by then you will learn them!

I prefer the far superior Xiangqi, you imperial swine.

I find it to be too complex, and games drag out for far too long, both of these due to the "reviving" mechanic.

Also, promoted pieces more often than not become pieces that can only move one tile at a time, which feels kind of uninteresting.

>elephants can't cross the river
>knights can be blocked
chink chess is shit

But cannons!

>I find it to be too complex, and games drag out for far too long, both of these due to the "reviving" mechanic.

I find when you play people of equal skill or below, it tends to drag out, since most people don't think of using drops to end games, but to save themselves. Once you climb up the rankings, games end pretty decisively and brutally from paradrops if you are not careful.

>Also, promoted pieces more often than not become pieces that can only move one tile at a time, which feels kind of uninteresting.

At first I was turned off by everything turning into golds, but it makes sense at times too, and it is often how you close out games in conjunction to drops. Still feels underwhelming though compared to western chess pawn>queen.

I feel like the game was designed to feel like a constant stalemate where defensive actions are always the best possible way to play. Sure, a properly dropped piece can be a great way to attack, but for the proper situation to happen you either need to already have the enemy cornered and surrounded, or unable to drop off units defensively. More often than not, both of those at the same time. And at that point, you were already winning anyway.

Comparatively, just waiting for the enemy to become a tad too aggresive and getting a couple of strong captures is far easier and may happen at any given time if the enemy makes one big mistake.

Bought a board for my brother's birthday, and he's getting really into it, so I need to try and keep up to keep the games interesting.
But I'd rather learn/git-gud at Go.