Finish a campaign

>Finish a campaign
>DM starts a new one, set in the same setting
>Meet your old characters, now fabled heroes
Is this the most wonderful feel in tabletop?

Other urls found in this thread:

draconick.com/2017/12/27/the-legacy-campaign/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah.

>finish campaign
>start game in the same setting
>DM asks you to reprise your character from the last campaign for a session

It's definitely a good one.

no. I'd rather create new stories than go through a tiresome gallery of "wow remember this? that was fun right? Epic!"

Light references are fine but outright circlejerking is not

Had same setting game set about 5 years after final events of first campaign.

In a tavern we went through. Playing a cleric this time, was a bard the first time.

Barmaid comes up to me and asks if I will bless her child, a kid about four years old. I ask her some questions to kind of personally tailor the blessing. Ask about the father.

She tells me he was a bard who came through about five years ago, and she was entranced by him because he sang to her and then saved the entire pub from a light attack from bandits.

She was describing the exact events of our previous campaign stop to that pub. My cleric does the blessing, and says that he hopes the child meets his father one day (I meta know his father died with half the party from our final encounter).

She says she knows he is dead, because several of his friends (the characters of the other players who lived) found out she was pregnant when they came back through and gave her more than the bards share of reward the kingdom had awarded them.

DM made us all so happy that day, some of us were trying not to cry. That is the kind of interaction with previous campaigns I wish upon all of you.

Dunno about most wonderful, but it's certainly nice to meet or face your old characters. Especially if they achieved the goal you set out for them from the beginning. The last time that happened for me was a barbarian I played that was more or less ripped directly from Conan. I was the only at the table that had actually read any of the stories but I explained the thing to the GM before the campaign started, and that my goal was for him to eventually carve out his own kingdom somewhere in the world. It didn't happen in that campaign, but in the next one, set a few decades later we met him again, now a king of a realm that he conquered single-handedly.

That is beautiful, user

I like this one as well.

No
>Finish campaign
>Start game in same setting
>Hear legends about your previous characters' exploits which are so badly distorted that you can only tell they're about the former character because you know what really happened and what got garbled in the story

Have a story from my earlier days of DnD
>Make character, Dogman thing that has standard tragic backstory, being his "Owner" never came back one day
>Dogman is extremely positive, counters the overall Grimdark feeling of the mostly Neutral Evil/Chaotic Neutral party, myself being the only Lawful Good
>Decide to name him Gillian because why tf not
>BBEG turns out to be my old owner turned into a Lich, she wants revenge on the loveless and lawless world she grew up in
>We eventually go to stop her, she hits me with a delayed charge necrotic orb spell, kills me instantly
>Become martyr for party, my death goading them on to slay her
>DM sets up new campaign after mine is done for new players, asks me for help with some homebrew stuff
>Sit in with him on first session, hear this from new player
>"Hey, who's Saint Gillian?"
>Mfw the new campaign is set after ours in the same timeline
>Mfw the afterstory is that I became the Patron Saint of Friendship, Bravery, and Protection from Betrayal
>Mfw the DM orchestrated all this like the madman he is, even letting a player have me as their selected Deity

Yeah, this a good point. It's fun to relive past experiences, but the purpose of a new group is to do something different.

I think it'd be cool to show how historical actions shape a later game, though. Even if the character isn't part of the story, maybe some shithole village they once saved is now an important location, for example.

Honestly, this is so much fun to do as a GM, and so much fun for the players. It just gets everyone right in the feels in the best possible way.
Sidenote: I actually wrote a blog post about this recently, which i'll shamelessly plug for relevance.
>draconick.com/2017/12/27/the-legacy-campaign/

That's so sweet.

I'm playing in my first campaign and we're only in early levels. However, our DM let another player do a one shot in her setting where we got to play at a higher level.

In the one shot we ended up doing something that would have big ramifications in her setting so I'm excited to see how that impacts our main campaign. Only a few of the players from the main campaign played in the one shot so it'll really fun for us when we recognize the DM referencing it.

It's not the same feeling, but it might be the closest we get for a long time.

>Alright everyone, we're gonna release a new DLC
>What're we gonna do this time?
>Actually fix the fucking Crusades?
>Create mechanics for religious leaders and revamp the papacy?
>Add some events and diplomatic options/decisions to more accurately reflect the escalation of the first, second and third crusades?
>Improve the AI for more dynamic games and not just games where massive blob empires that never collapse bash against eachother and exchange one province at a time?
>DON'T BE STUPID, we're gonna make a DLC about China
>Without actually putting in China
>Also bears because they're so ebin
>Great idea Johan! Now if you'll excuse me I need to write new comet sighted jokes for EU4

This is why Paradox is shit.

This happened to our group once, but since we were playing Rogue Trader the previous group of characters had forged a massive trade monopoly in the sector and it was almost impossible to break and we were dodging house agents the whole time.

Fun but we realized how big of dicks our first party was.

In my first campaign the DM went way overboard with what happened after the campaign. The main plot was us turning out to be the 4 legendary heroes of the elements and preventing the apocalypse, though we didn't figure this out until more than halfway through.
Of course we get a glimpse of a brief get together after 14 years or something, y'know cute enough. But he decides to fast forward to a few hundred years after we're dead and we're apparently like minor gods or some shit, where we do shit like protect travelers or nature.
I just thought it was super fucking weird was all.

Yeah, the long timeskip was weird. It was mostly to make the gag about the harpy choking to death on a banana.

>tfw my group has multiple people who DM
>I just started my own campaign set in a previous campaign's setting
>worked with the other DM to make sure shit had continuity and that he was happy with where I was taking the setting
>original campaign was a space sci fi mech campaign
>party is supposed to kill some endothermic aliens that are making the planet cold as balls so it can be terraformed and colonized
>new campaign is set about a decade after the original campaign
>I stuck with the mech theme but took it in a different flavor by making it AdEva
>the surviving characters from the previous campaign are important NPCs in the 'Nerv' organization
>about half of the pilots are connected to the previous characters in some way
I think the best part for me was the world building and history writing.
The previous characters being in this new campaign also allows for delicious drama and sadness.

>Finish a campaign
>DM asks you (all of the players) to DM one for him
>Everyone is a DM except the old DM.

No. I hate seeing my DM have my PCs act completely put of character. He had my last character marry a monkey. Not a euphemism: a literal monkey.

Close.
>have to drop a campaign
>party betrays your PC that's basically carrying the plot
>leads to a character death and derails things for awhile, but the GM pulls things together
>next campaign kicks off with a murder-mystery
>killer is your long-dead character's revenant
>eventually becomes the BBEG

>Dark Heresy campaign picks up a few decades after the first, with the only surviving PC as an Inquisitor
>Previous campaign involved uncovering a Sector-wide conspiracy involving the entire upper echelons of the Mechanicus that no one besides us believed existed for a good while
>In the process of things going horribly wrong an entire Hive world's Exterminatus and another becoming a nuclear hellzone was just a few among the casualties, and the party Pyker turned into a full-blown heretic
>The finale is two surviving PCs and a contingent of Space Marines facing down the arch-heretek mid-ascension at a mountain monastery
>My PC is pushed over the proverbial edge with Corruption, begins growing legs on every part of his body
>We both know I'm done for
>With one last regretful look, charge right at the arch-heretek with both meltabombs I brought as contingency
>In but a single, glorious melta-headbutt, the bossfight is over
>The mountain range is orbitally bombarded for good measure, as killing the ascending Daemon Prince just opened a Warp Rift

Cue next campaign
>Opening scene is a commemorative event, celebrating the purge of the last remaining hereteks
>Schola children put on a play for us
>It's the events of the campaign finale, made fit for public consumption
>The tale of my former PC's martyrdom and Sainthood
>The only thing that miraculously remains of the mountain is where his outline was burned into the ground by the blast
>His holy relics are his cigarette case and handcannon, both half-melted

It was one hell of a start after one hell of a finale