Cooking for game night

Do you guys ever cook/prepare food for your players? I've thought a lot about preparing something thematically appropriate for games, but never have the time or resources to do it, it seems.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Checked with extreme prejudice.

We don't as most of us live in a dorm for now, we play at a local pub/cafe and order pizza.

It can be easy for medieval fantasy for example, if I were cooking I'd try to make tavern themed food. You could just buy a bunch of different cheese, sausages, ham, bread and butter and some fruit like grapes and apples and just set it all on a table plus maybe a simple stew to have a warm dish. All this takes minimal work on your part. For drinks I'd again go simple with beer and mulled wine served out of jugs instead of bottles, maybe some red colored juice for people who don't want alcohol. Light some candles for atmosphere, maybe buy some wooden plates for extra authenticity points, LARP stores have a lot of props like that and often it's not even expensive.

I will always cook food if I'm hosting, but I can never be arsed to do it thematically.

Except for a post-apocalyptic game, where I made a big chilli the day before and served it to them in old baked bean cans. That was fun.

I did a couple times but some of my players are kind of picky eaters and that was discouraging. It sucks to put a bunch of effort into cooking and then find out that folks wont eat anything that doesn't come in a fast food bag.

>webm
Two nukes was not enough

also checked[/spoilerp

The fuck kind of cunts are you playing with? Refusing home cooked meal in favor of fast food. Holy fuck, the fucking state...

Yeah, gotta be a good host and my players often come straight from work.

They are really nice folks, just a couple of them are the sort of people who are afraid to try new food. I made some homecooked Chinese food and they just seemed afraid it was full of boiled dog or something. I dunno, they weren't mean about it or anything but I just felt bad.

Anons, let me introduce to you the Trash Plate.
>Bottom Layer cubed Hash Browns
>Second layer sausage. Chorizo if you're being cheap.
>Third layer is Devilled Egg Spread. Just make 1 boiled egg for each group member, and blend until smooth with 1 tablespoon mayo and 1 teaspoon for every 2 eggs. Add paprika to taste.
>top layer shredded cheese.
It's my own personal take on a Garbage Plate. The Devilled Egg Spread is great on just about anything as well.

1 tablespoon Mayo and 1 teaspoon mustard, sorry.

Someone post the /k/ meetup screencap.

I once cooked a large plate of open-face sandwiches and laid out snacks and drinks for a game I was hosting and DMing, but nobody showed up.

Just avoid Cheetos and foods like it like the plague and you'll be fine.

Here's how to feed a bunch of tendie eating gamers on the cheap.

Place 4-6 chicken breasts in your crock pot with about a teaspoon of salt, some cracked pepper, and enough chicken stock to barely cover them. Maybe a little Liquid Smoke if you've got it. Cook on low for about 6 hours, maybe turn it to high for the last hour if you need it faster. Remove the breasts and shred, and you should end up with a bunch of shredded tasty moist chicken.

Now you toss it with bbq sauce (or provide a few sauces so people can choose between honey, spicy, etc) and provide buns and maybe sliced cheese. Good sides are mac and cheese and potato chips. Easy shredded bbq sandwiches for a bunch of people. yumm

And if you don't toss it all in bbq you can save the leftover chicken and use it for a lot of stuff. Toss it in taco seasoning with a little water to make shredded taco meat (then put in a tortilla with creamy jalepeno sauce and panini that shit) or you can try shawarma spices + chicken and then serve with garlic mayo, tabouli, and pita bread. Sandwiches are good too, like a copycat panera 'chicken frontega' sandwich for example can use this chicken. Can also do chicken tiki masala though maybe don't shred it so much. Pad thai might work too if you didn't use the liquid smoke. Or chicken salad of course.

Anyway I make that a lot when the guys are coming over. Crock pot shredded chicken with no distinctive flavours, because then you can do whatever you want with it. Basically meal prep. Though if there are enough guests you might just eat it all.

This is why Americans are fat.

I've bought take-and-bake pizzas for my group, that's really as far as it's gotten.

let you eat shit then

My groups have mostly played in public spaces like FLGSs and coffee shops, but as someone who loves to cook I would enjoy preparing some snacks for the group if the right environment ever came up.

Strictly speaking, “love nectar” is better than the Cajun tradition of a women’s period blood mixed into gumbo or something.

Nah, this is a poorfag college student Fucking around with available cheap ingredients and a regional hangover cure recipe. This is more representative of American College student eating habits rather than Americans.
My other good recipe is a breakfast burger. It uses homemade hash brown patties for the buns, and a fried egg and 2 strips of bacon on top of the burger and cheese, although I've found the Devilled Egg Spread to be a more than suitable substitute for the fried egg.

We generally do pizza. One time I made corned beef and served rubens.

I usually bring a pitcher of sangria or a 6 pack. One of my buddies makes his own mead which is always a hit

I'm a di/ck/head, I take pleasure in making cool as fuck thematic meals for my players. It keeps them coming back.

youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
This site is good if y'all need some themed food. Though admittedly it's colonial historical cooking

>Tfw i never had a player like you
I'm sure you food was delicious user.

I’m the GM and host of my group, and I cook every time. I’d recommend trying to prepare thematically appropriate meals, because unless you are very skilled and have a lot of time to prepare it can be overwhelming.

I usually cook something that is simultaneously easy to prepare and can feed several people. My usual go to dishes are tacos or some kind of pasta.

Thanks user. I really like cooking, I just wish I knew more people I could share it with. My mom taught me all sort of nice recipes but it's no fun just cooking for yourself.

>playing in public
>playing in a public eating establishment
>playing in a public and highly social eating establishment

I could never do this. I already get self conscious about being in character and stuff. The thought of doing it in a public place in front of strangers is terrifying.

You know, I picked up this show only because I saw that scene on Veeky Forums a while ago (about a year ago I think).

I must say wasn't dissapointed, I definitely got what I came for. Nothing new, but it was good. Internal conflict in the MC due to old love vs political conflict. Shame stuff got boring once the conflict of the love of best girl (for the idiots around here, I'm not talking about dickhead and cursemouth) was resolved. The plot was pretty much over at that point (the generic weirdo supervillian arc doesn't deserve to be called a plot), and all characters except best girl weren't interesting enough to carry the show.

>Invited six people over to play MtG
>Let them know I am gonna make fancy home made Mac and Cheese
>Gouda, Gruyere, Smoked Cheddar, and mushrooms
>Weather moves in
>From no snow to total shit show
>Three people cancel because of the weather
>One has to work late
>One goes to a show he forgot about having tickets for when he agreed to come
>The only person who could make it lives in the same subdivision
>We drank and played Commander

I was petty damned bummed about that. Seems the universe doesn’t want me to cook for my friends.

Im slow cooking a brisquet and making pretzel bread yo.

Say what now?

It’s an old Cajun thing that putting your period blood into a dish you cook for a man will make him fall in love with you.

I get you user. When my friends come over, I will bake some pizzas, brownies and shit but when I'm on my own, I will just fix me up a sandwich and call it day unless I'm real hungry.

Katrina tried to rid us of this evil.

>checked
To answer your question OP: always. If you want players to come to every session, even if they have to come a long distance or make time with work, there is no better way to do it than offering a home cooked meal. Resources aren't that much of a problem if you stick to simple meals that are easy to make in large portions like chili, soup or stew. My gf cooks for the party every week. This isn't helpful information, but I like to brag.

I got into making food for game night (and baking in general really) from one of my old players, who used to bake cookies on game night. It eventually turned into a tradition of half the group showing up to her apartment a few hours early to help bake and plan things while we waited for the appointed game time. We would make all kinds of shit, and occasionally use them in game. There was a fun halloween where we used cookies as life counters for a game of Actual Cannibal Shia LaBoeuf. We also made scones a couple times.

Sadly we all ended up moving around the country, and I don't have an IRL group at the moment. I'd love to cook some food for a group though.

I think with people like that you have to come at them slowly with new foods. I used to be a pretty picky eater and I really needed to slowly try new things in familiar settings to get comfortable with them. Try introducing them to foods that are similar but with expanded bits, like sandwiches served on fresh Naan or very mild curry as a side with something before you go on to serving them a straight up curry dish, that kind of thing. A lot of the time their reticence to trying new foods is a lack of things to compare it to making them apprehensive.

So they decided to spend their own money on mcdonalds instead of free chinese food? What the fuck?

I used to cook all 6 players dinner each week, I'm also the GM and host.

All I asked for was a bit of money for ingredients. Became too much effort to actually get money out of them so now they get to bring takeaway.

Do not associate with picky eaters.

I had a weird idea inspired by this thread.

During a military campaign, cooking nicer stuff during specific sessions so the players get the world wars effect of "This is bad, they've given us the good stuff." Before big battles and such.

Correct.

But they're my friends user, I can't just abandon them over their food habits.

I do cooking for game nights. Uts only thematic on accident, like the time I did roast leg of lamb or sausage and pears.

Why is that bunny eating a jelly filled donut?

Showed up at DM's house a couple hours early to play games and make some chinese style chicken.
Hoisin, sesame oil, various spices, onion, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, with some corn starch breaded fried chicken.