EDH/Commander General

Chase Cards Edition

Previously: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What's your favourite 2 cmc creature that's not a dork?

>so it barely touches card prices
Why the fuck does this matter to WOTC? Shouldn't people who actually play the game be a higher priority than fucking investor cancer?

>What's your favourite 2 cmc creature that's not a dork?
Nobody expects this guy. Just a spiteful little sac outlet that can mess with combat math or counter creatures. As a two drop he's not really worth much to spot remove and I don't totally care if he dies in a wrath, and in the meantime, value.

everyone else seems to forget you exist
not i
i still play you and your kinda ugly art, senpai.

Fits perfectly into that "Does a ton of work but doesn't turn the entire table against you." slot.

one of my first rare pulls when is started the game. gets me so much value in every green deck i drop him in.

user, I...

>2 cmc
>posts 1 cmc
you had one fucking job, and you couldn't even do that.
your mother and I are extremely disappointed in you, son.

Ah shit, I thought it was 2CMC or less. My bad.

Scooze is so important.

What's with the art? the face looks so cartoonish

>Ice Age

I know it's not the strongest and probably doesn't have a place in any EDH decks save maybe elves, but she's always had a special place in my heart since she was the all-star of my favorite deck back in OG Ravnica standard.

nvm im changing my choice to this
eric's daughter is my waifu

>Shouldn't people who actually play the game be a higher priority than fucking investor cancer?
If WotC was thinking long-term, yeah. In the immediate, though? An investor is worth a lot of regular players to WotC.

Your average pack-buying player likely drops a couple hundred on fresh packs each year. Their demand is what drives LGS and distributors to stock M:tG, and the wholesale is what Wizards gets. If you mostly buy singles, you're worth less, since only the first sale counts. True, a good secondary singles market drives LGS owners and the like to crack packs themselves (necessitating wholesale purchase that Wizards gets money from) but a given single can be sold or traded multiple times so the margin Wizards gets out of the sale of an expensive single is much smaller than out of the sticker price of a pack.

An investor, on the other hand, may well drop tens of thousands of dollars, potentially even at the wholesale prices, to build their supply of cardboard stocks. These cards, often still in sealed boxes/cases, don't enter the secondary market or even really the primary market: they sit around being theoretical money for Rudy, but Rudy's purchase is REAL money for WotC. In the short term, WotC can lose many, potentially tens, hundreds, or more, pack buying little timmies and feel it less than losing one Rudy.

The downside to appeasing Investors only hits when one of two things
1) The measures taken to appease them actually drive off the obscene number of regular players needed to outweigh the loss of Whales from NOT appeasing.
2) The fact that the value of the Investors' Investments being based on demand for a live game comes into play; if Magic starts withering, the Investors would need pro-player action to keep demand for their goods up.

In practice, I think that Wizards is going to keep appeasing investors until option 2 begins, but when it happens some of the Whales will "Die", liquidating their massive stocks and in so doing drive down card prices and make the game more accessable. The other investors that hold out see a renaissance and the process continues. New investors may even get into the game, replacing the old Whales that finally dumped their supply.

Wow that card's cool as fuck

> the all-star of my favorite deck back in OG Ravnica standard.
Screw standard, the ol' Ledgewalker was a flippin' BEAST in RGD draft.

Good taste, my friend.

>The fact that the value of the Investors' Investments being based on demand for a live game
this investors are parasitic

You are the reason mtg art is increasingly homogenous

Obvious boring answer for me.

Because Ice aids had some seriously bad art.

Alright, thanks for shaming me, I found one that's exactly 2 CMC.

His CMC is always 12, you just only ever pay 2 of that.

ledgewalker is very good in a few decks
my friend plays a "utility equipment deck" with a bunch of small equipment like Mask of Memory or sword of the animist
even better with a jitte

good choice user

>investors are parasitic
the only people i see even attempt to insincerely dispute this claim are investors

Scooze life

easy one

But you have to consider the fact that it's those parasites what keep the game alive. MTG (fot WoTC) is about unsanctioned gambling and opening packs, then creating a secondary market of desire based on that gambling.

Yep, this or pic related

releases adjusted to exploit those conditions quite some time ago, wotc could always revert

>parasites what keep the game alive.
artificially keeping the prices high isnt whats keeping the game alive FNM is significantly more important than a handful of alpha investors.

My rotten boy

The business of Mtg relies on second market speculation. Until you find a different way and find leverage to enforce your plans things will keep being as they are regardless of how much you bitch.

Well, duh

>But you have to consider the fact that it's those parasites what keep the game alive.
No, it's not. The game can live without investors. It could even have the same bottom line if there was an equivalent demand from many players rather than few investors

It can't live without players, because if the players (who have a reason to demand cards beyond monetary value) go, the investors are holding largely worthless cardboard. Magic without investors lives just fine. Magic with a sudden loss of investors takes a hit. Magic without players? Cards aren't valuable like gold, they're valuable like gasoline, for both their scarcity and their utility. Magic cards in a world without players are like gasoline that won't burn.

>MTG (fot WoTC) is about unsanctioned gambling and opening packs, then creating a secondary market of desire based on that gambling.
playability of the cards drives this more than artificially high prices, which is effectively what investors do, artificially increase the price of playables.

Told you faggots to sell of your Rishadan Port copies and you didn't listen, I know.
>t's a rare
Lol
It's gonna be 15 bucks after this shit hits the shelves.

It's like you think you can argue with me. I'm stating a fact, and this fact is WotC relies on the parasitic speculators and caters to them. Without them they wouldnt make as much money. Playability of the card is what decides the demand of the card the most, and thus the prices, and WotC controls supply.

You guys wanted this, right?

>The business of Mtg relies on second market speculation.
no they rely on packs sold, FNMs, drafts, events like Pro Tour Las Vegas open up an incredible amount of packs.
it would be significantly more profitable for WoTC if they catered to the players instead of the investors, FMN participation is down almost 1/3 and that is actually killing the game while investors are busy buying up reserve list cards.

>the joke

4 dollar token incoming.

Why do they lie about the commonality of the cards they print then (like uncommon fatal push that's mythic rare) . Why do they reprint cards in rarities according to the second market price.

Unironically yes

>Parente art
mmmmmmmmm

I did actually

Unironically yes. I love this a lot, now all we need are Sand Warriors.

it was one fcprossh fag, i wanted the impossible

>Why do they lie about the commonality of the cards they print then (like uncommon fatal push that's mythic rare) .
this is one of the reasons the player base is down so low, it was a mistake for sure.
they do it to keep the EV of a pack from hitting rock bottom if a $4 pack is worth 30 cents nobody is going to buy it

and channel was really a rare

>Thread Question
Only 2 rouns after putting Bloodghast in my Mazirek deck, it has quickly become one of my favorites

Pic related

Is Veeky Forums illiterate or just bad at Magic?

oh the irony

>Rishadan Port
This land seems super mopy. Why is it so expensive? Is there a legacy deck that runs it?

>tfw I know Parentes nephew who gets the testprints of the cards with parentes artwork.

Where is your source that Fatal Push is as rare as a mythic, you superstitious dumbfuck.

this \/

>they do it to keep the EV of a pack from hitting rock bottom if a $4 pack is worth 30 cents nobody is going to buy it

maybe the cards would be worth more to people if anyone wanted them

The thread question is about 2 cmc creatures.

>superstitious
pretty sure no one has compiled # pulled compared to other uncommons, but don't pretend shortprinting hasn't occurred in the past

>Is Veeky Forums illiterate

nobody tell him

>maybe the cards would be worth more to people if anyone wanted them
thats entirely on wizards and i agree
almond kek gods for example

Is the joke that you sac a two cmc creature to that card? If so, why would you not sac a token or something more mana efficient?

I remember seeing this guy when I was new to magic and thinking he was really bad, good lord was I wrong

>The game can live without investors
>It can't live without players
Prices of singles are all based on rarity, demand and cost of a pack. Cost of a pack is stable, demand normally only grows, so the only way to decrease price is to flood everything with cards until nobody wants any. They'll never do that, because they'll make less money selling cards, spending the same amount to design them. Accepting the fact the game doesn't give a fuck about you or your needs is the first step.

>which is effectively what investors do, artificially increase the price of playables
You can't increase the price "artificially" because it costs as much as people are willing to pay. "Buy-outs" of cards are bullshit, not only because of the huge mount of money it would take, but because you just can't force people into buying them. The only reason they are getting more expensive is the increasing number of people who want them, so feel free to leave whenever you like.

My little fire ball, her deck is cheap and can play casual or semi competitive with the right hand. Plus her art is A+ in my book

I miss lorwyn

Yes, Death and Taxes. They run Wasteland, Thalia, etc and have a lot of mana denial.

>her art is A+ in my book
absoultly true
also yeah her deck is pretty neat, not oppressive but no slouch either
theres a reason 99 mountain ashling is a meme

>bought a bunch of these fags at $1 per already

Yep, using Opposition and Glare. Thinking about narrowing the token producers to artifacts for the Silas recursion thing.

That's fucking sweet, thanks for the info.

My boy Young Peezy is pretty good for one and a red.

son, i think it's time to reconsider how you spend your time.

I run a 150$ budget build with her with a few sidevoard cards to skyrocket the value

She works great

>tfw already have 2 mono red decks but want to play a 99 mountain ashling deck that I slowly cut mountains for other cards every week or so

Another good one.

One the subject of 2-drops

REVEL

Storm the Vault + Metallurgic Summonings is amazing.

>there is no evidence but believe me anyway
No, I don't believe you. Fatal Push has extremely high demand and the other uncommons don't; it's that simple.

Stores open thousands of packs to get singles and they would know if Fatal Push was actually rarer than other uncommons.

>Uncommon

This is acceptable.

This guy's been pulling his weight in my Feldon list of late, so I'll say him for now.

Also known as the only creature with morph I've seen played in years