Shadow War: Armageddon

So, I'm a little late to the party but I finally got a chance to play a few games of this with my friends.

Holy shit, it's a lot of fun. It feels like we're playing XCOM, but with 40k models on the tabletop.

What are some things I should know to building a good Ork kill team? We mostly just play one-off 1,000 point games, not the campaign stuff.

I've been running a kill team that's two Spannaz with Big Shootas supported by all roofs with shootas. The amount of firepower they can put down has been really good at keeping the enemy down.

>yoofs with shootas
>no boyz
>no Nob
Did you just throw the entire book out of the window? The rules state you can't make a killteam with this setup, you have to have a leader and you can't take more recruits than regulars.

Well I have a Nob, but I definitely missed the part about the regulars and recruits.

>No more than half the kill team can be made up of new recruits.
Get buying up boyz, son

I've definitely found so far that shooting seems to be superior to trying to get into hand-to-hand combat.

Is that a theme or am I doing something wrong?

I really enjoyed shadow war but it's a dead game, I'm glad somebody is playing it though. It's a shame Necromunda wasn't an expansion to Shadow war rather than an entirely different game from the original and SWA.

As for actual advice:

>yoofs with shootas is actually a good choice since Orks can't shoot for shit, sustained fire means they have some effectiveness when used to bulletspam
>giving your nob a power klaw is overkill but hilarious, especially if your opponents have strong models they don't want to die
>not using the campaign stuff means you miss out on skill growth and other such funtimes

It depends. Orks are brutal in close quarters, but shooting is strong, especially with sustained fire weaponry.
Even with shooty Orks you're still going to be close to mid range focused, since shootas have bollocks range.

Can't find a copy of this anywhere, seems like GW have pulled the plug already. Shame, as it appealed to me and the starter box had some nice kit.

shooting stops enemies in there tracks but melee kills. the fact that in a 1v1 all you need to do is roll a 2+ on the injury roll makes it really strong.

Starter box was limited and sold out fast, they then released then industrial terrain seperately along with an updated rule book seperately.

dead game

Play Hareliquins and lose friends, but NEVER lose.

If GW hadn't half-assed the rules, more people would probably be playing it.

This. Tyranids as well.

What kill teams do you lot have?
Guard reporting in.

Really enjoyed this game, there was a 3-4 month period before the start of 8th where it's all we played. Had a kill team for almost every faction show up.

I ended up making all kinds of stuff

>Multiple flavors of guard
>Nids
>Alpha legion
>Blood axes
>Skitarii

Shame GW dropped it like a hot potato, it clearly had legs and just needed a bit of refinement and expansion.

My group still reminisces about it, I think I'll try and organize a campaign again soon. We all have the books and counters, wouldn't be hard.

>Rogue Trader using the Inquisition rules
>Orks
>Would do Chaos if I could be arsed with buying a box of CMs

I had a Tyranid team.
But no one wants to play SW:A anymore.
Not that I blame them. Only ever lost once with them.

I just got a dark angels upgrade kit and some mk IV off ebay then made some fallen.
I keep wanting to make some Nids, but with no interest in the game I think I'd be wasting money at this point, which is a shame.

What's Shadow War's campaign element like? alternatively, how can it be improved if it's not great? I miss Inquisitor and would love to be able to do some sort of narrative game where the effects of the last mission play over into the next beyond "Your dudes died."

The campaign elements were pretty nice and your dudes could get really powerful.
Or if they're Tyranids, retardedly overpowered(like mine became).
The biggest lack I found with SWA were the scenarios. You only have the basic 6 scenarios in the book. I kept digging into other skirmish games like Frostgrave or Mordheim for skirmish scenarios to adapt and that worked out pretty well and added some flavor to the games.

DagobahDave's Shadow War.

I had a Chaos squad that was pretty dangerous. I think they were undefeated, but I should've lost my first game because I didn't get how Harlequin movement rules work.
I also used the Genestealer Cult to represent a Hive Gang. They did pretty decent, the Heavy Stubber is a surprisingly good weapon.
Sadly we never actually finished our campaign though.

When it comes to Orks, numbers are your main advantage. Boyz > Toyz. Big Shootas are the way to go with your Spannaz. Give the shootas w/ red dots to your Yoofs since they're not gonna get any better at shooting and they're easy to replace. Once they upgrade to boyz kit them out for melee.

Cover plays such an important element in this game and I was always shocked how often I saw people who didn't hide during games. Spread your melee boyz out, have them move and hide liberally until you're in position to charge.

God, I miss this game. I know its just reskinned Necromunda but GW's fucking stupid to throw this away and support shit like Shadespire.

Guard, which I absolutely loved until the late campaign when my opponent was running 9 Chaos Space Marines (2 Heavy Bolters, 6 Bolters and an Aspiring Champion, all with red dots/photovisors/clip harnesses).

I think we might houserule it that you can't have more than 5 models that cost more than 150pts each in your roster or something along those lines. It's not a problem for most things, but Chaos seem to end up sweeping the campaign if you let it go on long enough.

Craftworld Eldar here. I mainly picked them because no one else was playing them, but I enjoy them even if their list is nonsensical (Guardians and Dire Avengers rather than Rangers?) and their wargear is limited and crap.

Having sustained fire on everything really makes your opponent's time a lot harder.

>If GW hadn't half-assed the rules, more people would probably be playing it.

SWA or Newcromunda?

Touché

I don't play either, I thought Newcromunda was considered to have good rules?

>considered
ymmv on that
According to the ama with the rules writer the rules weren't even playtested properly.
If you just get the intro box you only have a boardgame.
If you get the first expansion you have a skirmish wargame with two factions.
If you get the third expansion you get a third faction and some mercs, but have already spent more money on the game that you'd spend on all other similar games with comparable scope.

By comparison you can get the old Necromunda rules for free since GW themselves made them available for free and the book has all rules for three-dimensional scenery and 6 or so gangs.

I mean, if GW didn't charge an arm and a leg for each separate 'supplement' and their release schedule would allow them to release more than one gang every two months I'd probably feel different about it.

Good is after all a subjective measure.
But considering the pricetag and the content I personally feel that you get very little value for a ridiculously amount of money.
Literally any other modern skirmish game will give you better value, if you are looking to get into the game from zero.

And although this is just me. I also feel like the new miniatures can't hold a candle to the original or the underhive minis.