/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

No one wants to be a paladin anymore
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Eat Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
Tell me anons, how creative do you get with the archetypes? Do you treat them as law or more as guidelines?

Attached: 1508472193104.png (796x595, 768K)

So now that we officially have transsexual elves, what is your fetish/perversion/degeneracy/mental illness that you would like WotC to make canonically official?

Attached: 1491947621194.jpg (651x807, 80K)

>Nobody wants to be a paladin
>We got gems like this last thread

>"Mystra argued with Helm saying she had nothing to do with the theft of the Tablets of Fate and to let her pass so that she might speak to Lord Ao and regain her rightful place as keeper of the Weave. Helm steadfastly refused to let her pass and gave her fair warning. Furious, she attacked him with bolts and beams of energy, fire and ice, mystic blades and magical hammers, and dread creatures with fangs and claws, coils and maws, wings and tentacles. Helm held firm, absorbing or brushing off each of her assaults. Weeping blue-flame tears of anger and frustration, she grappled with Helm and fire leaped from her mouth. Helm held her off with one hand and raised his visor. As their gaze met, Mystra let out a terrible scream heard across the Realms as she saw her doom written in his face. Helm drew back and punched his gauntleted fist through her chest and Caitlan's body exploded in a blindingly hot flash of devastating power.

Have virgin magic fags ever recovered from the creator of magic getting btfo by chad muscleman?"

Attached: cape_gestures_by_radittz-dc0q262.jpg (1434x1600, 1.18M)

It's mostly right. In my opinion some feats like Durable and Tough should be combined, a lot of the weapon mastery/armour mastery (especially heavy armour mastery) and all the skill feats are complete shit, and sharpshooter/GWM are completely overpowered

>now
Are you posting from the 1970s?

@58494665
(You)

>GENDER SWAPPING AT WILL IS SUCH A NEW CONCEPT! WOTC IS SJW!

Puh-lease. 1st Edition had the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity, Changelings have existed for quite a while, and spells like Alter Self/Disguise Self, Polymorph all allow you to look like/become the opposite sex.

I actually have a revised feat list that does exactly that, while buffing the armor feats and nerfing Sharpshooter.
I didn't nerf GWM though and I detailed exactly why.

Attached: Revised Feat List.pdf (PDF, 5.88M)

HAM is good but should scale with level.

Are there any known 4channer ran Roll20 games?

Also here's my revision for Warlock in better detail.

Buffed Chain Pact, Familiar becomes a potent little helper although it still can't exactly frontline, but it can actually contribute in combat.
Buffed Blade Pact heavily, although I rolled back Cha as weapon mods back into Hexblade. Now Blade Pact comes with Improved Pact Weapon Invocation and scales with level, similar to how Tome Pact already did and how Chain Pact does now.
Gave them an extra spell slot earlier, significantly more Invocations, and finally remembered to add the XGE Invocations in (sans Improved Pact Weapon for obvious reasons)

I think this brings Warlock up to a level appreciable with other casters, all these slight changes, and it makes Hexblade more viable and especially Pact of Blade more viable past the 1st level dip.

Attached: Warlock Revised.pdf (PDF, 2.04M)

make it scale with your proficiency bonus and it'd be slightly better
good shit, gonna give this a read

Can love bloom on the battlefield?
You ever seen a relationship flourish or had a romantic experience with a fellow adventurer or so you keep it professional? Also whats her/his name?

>get to level 2 as revised ranger
>no fucking idea what spell to pick besides goodberry

Attached: 1501227796970.jpg (350x487, 97K)

Honestly, just get another 1st level spell. Goodberry is great if your party doesn't have decent healing otherwise but Ranger's 2nd level spells aren't great.

Hunter's Mark, Absorb Elements, Ensnaring Strike

Beast Bond, if you're going for that Conclave.

The party seems to be a Warlock, Rogue, Paladin, Ranger and some homebrew halfcaster, so healing shouldn't be that big of an issue
Absorb Elements isn't something I'll use a lot desu, going for bow and keeping my range, I guess I'll take mark or ensnaring strike
how's beast bond gonna help with beastmaster?

Definitely get hunter's mark

Are we not getting a real Unearthed Arcana this month or something? I mean, we got more out of Into The Trash than with this one.

Gee, I dunno, how does your beast companion having advantage on all attacks against enemies within 5 feet of you help a beastmaster?

What's wrong, user, why are you expecting WotC to do their fucking jobs?

Why remove charger? It is shit.

zephyr strike, get a free movement smite

well I'm keeping myself as far as I can with longbow+3 people being melee, so I can't see it being that useful

fog cloud is fun
but really, hunters mark

Because it was shit, that's exactly why I removed it.
Same with Savage Attacker. Neither one added anything meaningful to the game and made little sense thematically.

Ah. Then your point stands. Beast Bond is pretty good for melee beastmasters though.

How good are kensei mechanically? Friend's considering making one.

Just-go-fighter-instead tier

They're on a Monk so they're still good. Average I'd say, not standout, but not bad either.

Help me optimize an aarakocra revised ranged. Multiclassing is fine, no magic items. For adventuring

They're on a Monk, so they're pretty trash. Below average I'd say. Bad, but not unplayable either.

Eyo lads, I have a question about leveling up. Say I was missing some HP when I leveled, do I gain the HP I received from leveling up or does that have to heal too?

Attached: What a grand and intoxicating innocence - Dagoth Ur.png (900x675, 1.24M)

How *are* Monks? I haven't played one, but having been in parties with one, it always seems like they're just good enough that you don't really question when people pick them, but not so strong that you'll get multiple people trying to play monks in the same party.

dump everything in dex and kill yourself and make a non-cheesy character

I like the flavour of an unarmed blade master more than armoured tank.
That's unfortunate. Still, the campaign isn't going to be a dungeon crawl, so combat performance isn't going to be the only factor. How's kensei utility? Or monk utility in general.

I didn't choose my character the DM picked it for me. Both Class and Race and told me I could do as I pleased with it. Before you sperg get some context

Don't listen to that idiot, he's convinced Monks are bad when they're actually one of the best classes.
Some of their archetype features aren't great but Monks basically have everything you could possibly want as a class to some degree. They excel at nothing in particular except going fast and killing casters.
They're the best Mage Slayers in general. But as far as archetypes go Open Fist and Shadow Monk are the best. Open Fist makes Monks even better at control and Shadow Monk make them better at killing casters.

I'd honestly call them one of the weaker classes in 5e. They're force-multipliers in larger parties because of the way they pass out stuns... but on their own they're one of the weakest classes. They're super dependent on Dex and Wis to the point where they can't really afford feats or Con investments (not good on their d8 hit dice) and their class resource (Ki) doesn't really hold up compared to what casters or even half-casters can do with their resources, aside from stun-spam (if an enemy is immune to stun, you're fucked).

my comment still stands, what is the dm going to do? say you dont die after you jumped into spikes?

Why would he do that, and why would you consent to it?

They're not really great. They've got a few weak subtypes (Subtypes that get spells for them are really weak since they don't get spell slots, they spend ki for it) and they are rather one note in battles (Ignore other uses of Ki, more stunning fist) and even more one note in builds (Dex+Wis, no ifs no buts. You need both at 20 ASAP so don't expect to get any interesting stuff or spread out for a while.)

Is there any fun enemies that I can throw at a group of lvl 1's? So far I have them fighting goblins orcs bandits and a wererat(they are provided silver weapons)

When you roll for the HP increase, you gain that much. So if you're at 24/30hp, level up and gain another 8, you would be at 32/38hp

They excel in encounters of larger groups of lower-CR enemies, and are pretty good at helping clamp down single targets by way of stuns and because Martial Arts means they're giving up less to push/shove.
Plus they can run on water and up walls, which is fun.

>gained 15 HP
feels good man and thanks bro

Attached: The Ancestor.png (714x673, 196K)

Corellon Larethian has been dual gendered since 1e.

absorb elements will save your life. halfing a dragons attack will never be a waste for a spell slot.

I think that's a fine enough selection for at least two levels. I'd focus on having a more interesting selection of encounters. Don't be afraid to tweak the statblocks by giving out different sorts of weapons or armor (but be careful about how that'll change AC and damage output).
Also, you say it's for level one characters but use the term 'so far'--how long have they been level 1?

I gave it a read, it's pretty solid all round
Why is the healers kit under fighting style though?
Also did you not touch the skill related feats

Monks as a baseclass are the worst trash in the game. The only subclass that makes them playable (makes them good at SOMETHING) is Way of the Open Hand.

Kensai is literally "a shitty Fighter" tier. The only time a Kensai monk is better than a Fighter is if you roll 3x 18 to put into DEX, CON and WIS.

well yeah but until we meet dragons I'll have at least 1 opportunity to take/swap spells
and even then would a dragon attack three angry dudes slapping his shit in close combat, or one catman in the back plinking sharp sticks at him

Because the entire party is highly optimized builds and my idea was just a lowly champion fighter with a hammer. He told me I would hate life and I was to go with this character instead.

Monks are one of the few classes in 5e that are MAD "out of the box," in that to be a really effective Monk your three best stats basically have to be DEX, WIS, and CON, in that order. You need DEX to hit, WIS for high DCs on the Stunning Palm, and CON to be able to take a hit because you'll be running out of Ki quickly.

The other MAD classes (mainly Paladin and Ranger) have things built into the class to let them do more than just attack every round (Ranger - mainly Revised Ranger - has a lot of front-loaded class features, Paladin gives a huge benefit to the party in the form of Lay on Hands and Aura of Protection, and both get spell progression).

Giantess fetishism.

Attached: halflings are friends you can put close to your heart-shaped box.jpg (480x639, 46K)

The worst class in 5e is Rangers.
Monks are the second-worst.

Unlike Rangers, Monks never got a revised version to fix their glaring flaws.

You could go Battlemaster Fighter with a hammer, which gives you some additional options in combat with its Maneuvers.

>Monks as a baseclass are the worst trash in the game.
>15-16 AC level 1
>guaranteed bonus attack action
>high speed
>deflect missiles
>b-but one HP per level less than the fighter!!1!
I think you're a stupid person.

5e is THE edition with the WORST monks of all time.

They're literally trash. Every class can outdo them in at least two if not three areas and they don't outdo any class in more than one area.

I wish, but he won't really let me not go bird RR

>Monks are second-worst class in 5e

I dunno, Sorcerer is the weakest full spellcaster class by a wide margin, and only has two good archetypes (Dragon and Divine Soul). At least with Monk the only real trap option is Wot4E, the others function mildly well.

>5e is THE edition with the WORST monks of all time.
Do you not consider 3.x to be "real" DnD because of the severity of caster supremacy or something?

Nah its a fresh campaign, so far is so far I've planned, I tweaked the stats on the encounters a bit, like a group of goblins and orcs had a falling out so even though theres more orcs than a group of ones can handle without dying, they're wounded so low health and lower ac

then I have a obese goblin and his worg, so the goblin has 25health but if they wound the worg enough when the goblin is riding it it will be crushed under the weight, alternatively if they kill the Worg he'll land on his back and miss a round or two depending on how easy the encounter is

Sorcerers are a full-caster and thus instantly good. If you take wizard off the table (because wizards cuck them in every way imaginable), they become one of the best arcane casters.

The weakest full caster is still a full caster, user.

Yeah I don't care for them. Plus they're UA, I didn't include anything that didn't make it into XGE. I'm tempted to add Gourmand back though.

It's not actually under, separate points. Notice the different font size.

I can get why a DM might not want a player to be a Champion Fighter, it really is a boring archetype and only makes you good for combat scenarios.

But why say no to a Battlemaster Fighter? Gives you more options in combat, allows for some party buff/debuffs with the maneuvers, and has some nice flavor in the whole, "master of war" feel it has.

Even if the party is full of min-maxing idiots, I find it hard to believe they'd say no to a Battlemaster Fighter. Do you know what the current party make up is?

Sorcerers are the most REDUNDANT class in 5e, as Wizards are literally a better version of their class, but they're still full-casters and thus one of the better classes in the game in general.

Attached: 1520349624816.jpg (1500x1941, 313K)

>"you always benefit from reach from weapons, instead of only when you make an attack"
What does this even mean?

Attached: Billy Stare.jpg (170x200, 10K)

find a new DM

Will I ever get to justify using the smite spells as a paladin, or does divine smite make them as unnecessary as it seems? I really like the idea of my ancients paladin getting to smite fools with fire and thunder so I'll probably take them anyway, just curious if they're actually worthwhile.

You know, until Spelljammer hits the shelves.

probably attack of opportunity

>everyone saying Monk is worst
Monk is great. They fit into any party, can always be useful regardless of the situation, have extra attack and flurry of blows for 1 ki, stunning strike, great bonuses to saving throws, you don't actually NEED 20 Wisdom. You can go x/20/16/x/16/x and pick up Mobile and Mage Slayer, or Mobile and Tough, or Mobile and whatever the fuck you want. 18 AC is higher than most classes get.

Normally you only benefit from Reach when you take the attack action, Sentinel makes it so your reach is always on so you can make reach attacks as a Reaction. I didn't change Sentinel at all it's same as PHB.

You're telling me weak full casters aren't full casters in spelljammer?

>If you take Wizard off the table, they become one of the best arcane casters

Because the only other options are Warlock (for "full caster" progression) and then a bunch of archetypes that give up to 4th level spells (EK, AT). And the Artificer is a poorly executed 'arcane tinkerer' class that needs some more work to be anything other than just a way to get firearms into a setting.

Yes, they're still a full caster. But you can't tell me that the guy who has magic flowing through his veins knows fewer spells than the fucking Bard. Dragon Sorcerers make great blaster mages but leave you with basically no option for other spells known, and Divine Soul Sorcerers make you a pretty nice band-aid box, but again don't leave you with enough options for utility spells.

Doesn't matter, everyone will be playing Pathfinder 2.0 by then, where casters are even MORE broken.

Also, lets be real, nobody plays in anything except Faerun or homebrew settings anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean.

>Because the only other options are Warlock (for "full caster" progression)
What about Bards and Clerics?

>archetypes that give up to 4th level spells
What about the half-casters?

So does it do the same thing as PAM in letting you Aoo within 10ft?

I'll take a look later, seems like a good idea from skimming.
>Are we not getting a real Unearthed Arcana this month or something? I mean, we got more out of Into The Trash than with this one.
lol no. That's why I'm here. Post content!

Attached: Fucked with an anchor.png (1000x750, 75K)

>the only other options are Warlock (for "full caster" progression)
are you retarded

>the fucking Bard
That's a whole different issue. WotC lost their fucking minds thinking of half elf bards and made them far and away the best class/race combo.

Reminder if your DM doesn't do everything possible to screw over Full casters in your campaign (spell-immune/resistance creatures, lots of encounters with few chances to rest and restore slots, saves that force them to rely on their weakest stats with high DCs, etc) then they're a shit DM.

I have no fucking clue how to character creation beyond the first level. How do I pick what spells a wizard knows when he levels up? What the fuck am I doing?

i want /pol/ to leave

Reach
This weapon adds 5 feet to your reach when you Attack with it, as well as when determining your reach for Opportunity Attacks with it.

Actually I'm dumb, Reach is always on normally. But yeah Sentinel keeps creatures from being able to leave your reach without provoking AoO entirely. PAM doesn't let a creature ENTER your reach without provoking an AoO. They have very good feat overlap.

Giants already exist,there's also Enlarge

Pick the spells that you think you'll use from the wizard list

I should have specified arcane casters in my retort. Bard isn't a "true" arcane caster; sure, a LOT of their spells are some sort of utility function, but they do have 'healing' spells (Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Lesser Resoration, etc.), a thing that arcane casters aren't supposed to get, ever.

>Half-caster arcane class
Other than homebrew, there isn't one. Paladin is (mostly) divine-sourced spells, and Ranger is (mostly) 'nature'-sourced spells (ala Druid).

There are some fairly bad phrasing and communication issues in some of these changes, but an admirable effort all the same.

Here's my Bounty Hunter as well.

Yeah English hard. I tried to keep it as close to the book as possible though. If you see anything specific I could re word I'd appreciate it.

Attached: Bounty Hunter.pdf (PDF, 1.65M)

Why remove great weapon fighting?

>no arcane half-casters

I never get the whole "half-caster/quarter-caster" thing right, but what about Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters?

For Wizard specifically, you start with six 1st-level spells in the book. At every subsequent level, you add two spells to the book, and can be spells that are on the Wizard spell list and of the highest spell level you have access to.

This means that even as a level 15 Wizard, you could level up and add a lower level spell to your book. Most don't, because higher level spells tend to be more powerful, but it's still an option.

Small town, I've been looking for years.

Land Druid, Old One Warlock, Necromancer Wizard, Lore Bard, Tempest Cleric, Forge Cleric, Revised Ranged Unknown Conclave (me), Zealot Barbarian, Vengeance Paladin

Those are 1/3 casters

Those are 1/3 casters.
Personally, I'd say arcane half-casters are handled pretty well just by multiclassing.

Hunters Mark is your go-to
Absorb Elements, Ensnaring Strike, Hail of Thorns, Zephyr Strike are other easy pickups otherwise just take Speak with Animals

badDueling. Slows the game down with re rolling. Unless you get super lucky it's objectively inferior to the bonus damage from Dueling, so I just made Dueling work with heavy weapons but not TWF or ranged weapons.