/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work Edition
>Unearthed Arcana: Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine!
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
How well does your party actually work together, /5eg/? Do you listen to each other and help each other out even when not asked directly, or is it every man for himself until someone gets knocked unconscious? For example, when was the last time the Barbarian stopped what he was doing and grappled something so that the squishy caster could get away? Have you ever seen a Wizard cast Darkness on a Rogue, knowing he had Blindsight? It's a team game, so how good is your team?

Attached: party.jpg (800x500, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z-PgBcVaUkw
youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Copypasted from previous thread. I've never played a Cleric before, what are your favorite domains?

I'm considering Life, but I wanted to know if there are any particularly good ones added by XGE or UA.

WHY WON'T ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MAKES 5E GOOD? BECAUSE EVERY user WHO HAS TRIED HAS DESCRIBED IT AS BEING WORSE THAN PATHFINDER (WHICH IS TRUE)

Attached: 1520877945026.jpg (4942x3500, 2.11M)

they're all good
life has the spells that are the best by default, so if you want variety chose something else

What the fuck is this axe?

bottom left corner, is that houseplant or a drink?

Guy in my group wants to be a gnoll. What homebrew do i give him?

Dwarven

Pathfinder

How do I play an Oath of Devotion Paladin that isn't obnoxious?

Was going to play an Oath of Vengeance Paladin, but fucking Shield Master looks like a blast, and I haven't played a walking mass of 'try and hit me' in a long fucking time. I can't help but feel like Paladin's should usually be SnB anyway.

Not to mention my DM likes to throw a lot of of hard hitting shit at us, so the extra AC would be welcome.

Attached: 1519070870726.jpg (1280x1737, 400K)

Would it be retarded to do a subclass for monk that has a stance? Like, he can enter it as a free action, but he can maintain it only for a limited amount of rounds, because it is strenuous.

Attached: 41syHxRRboL._UX342_.jpg (342x362, 20K)

Brew some poison in order for him to kys

>Are monks retarded?
Yes.

Yes, it's retarded, because the monk equivalent of strenuous work is spending ki points. So do something that spends ki points to be maintained.

>How do I play an Oath of Devotion Paladin that isn't obnoxious?
Judge Dredd with healing spells.

Why?

Knowledge because expertise
really like the Arcana's banish channel divinity aswell

Give him Lizardfolk. Replace the word Lizardfolk with Gnoll. Done.

>havent played a walking mass of try and hit me
you want Oath of Ancients
>cant hit me
>resistance to all spells
>if you reach 15th level you can return from 0 hit points

Ok lad here's what you do, lead by example. That's it, don't try and brow beat the rest of the party into being like you, don't try and convert them to the word of Pelor(if your going the follow a god angle) unless they ask you to, don't try and smite other players because they do something you disagree with. Do try to come to compromise with them on disagreements that don't completely undermine your values, try to show them a better way instead of just preaching at them, always remember that if they don't wish to put their lives on the line for innocents that is there decision but this is where you stand and perish if need be. If the dick ass thief wants more of a reward that you can see would hurt the payer, simply offer to make up the difference to them as you can, edgelord of the party decides it's best to torture a captive simply intervene and try talking it over instead.

Above all be kind, be strong, be good.

Attached: 1513729630507.jpg (1330x1196, 629K)

Figured ol' Joe would be an Oath of Conquest Paladin.

As much fun as that subclass looks, the story for this character doesn't really lend itself to the nature-theme of the OotA Paladin. Not to mention we already have a Druid and a Ranger.

I wish I would've decided on a subclass earlier and built this story around a nature theme, but as it stands now he's a noble's son who left his title and struck out on his own, eventually joining an order warriors/knights.

Would the Dwarven Fortitude feat combine with the Durable feat?

Personally I would be curious to hear what rules you find people ALWAYS get wrong, or your table always seems to get wrong.

I'm in my second group now that seems to think that Sneak Attack automatically gives Rogues Advantage if they're eligible to sneak attack (..which would mean it loops back on itself; advantage lets you sneak attack which gives you advantage). No one seems to be able to read it 'You have to have advantage OR fulfill these other criteria'.

But I don't want to rules lawyer and step on the rogues fun, after the first groups rogue got really pissy.

I like this, this is helpful. Thanks user.

Why are people saying that monks suck?

Because they've read that red book

Because it doesn't do massive DPR that people can stroke their internet ego over.

You can just speak with your DM and refluff it as the Ancients being your Noble-Blooded Ancestors. You know, Ancestor worship, like the ancient romans and chinese used to do.

>How do I play an Oath of Devotion Paladin that isn't obnoxious?
Just don't go around preaching

every group I've been in has used critical fails and successes in skill checks
of course

My DM refuses to interpret sneak attack as anything other than a bonus on attacks from stealth. Thus rogues are useless in his games

Free actions aren't really a thing in 5e. Limited rounds thing seems weird to me. Ki already covers a lot of that. I posted a .pdf of a feat based martial art stance system (that I think is kind of silly) in the other thread ( ), so check that out. Honestly, it seems like it would be the same issue as battlemaster though - why does one subclass get what ostensibly should be base monk abilities?

I always thought Dredd would be a great Conquest Paladin. But yeah, Devotion doesn't mean you have to be lawful nice.

You have already displayed you have shit taste by the art you posted. There is no point in explaining to you what makes the system good.

But I can roleplay as a reckless knight who drops his longsword mid-fight to bash in some heads.

has he actually read the sneak attack feature?
>Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll.
>You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Leftovers from 3.5, I believe. And also monk isn't a good class for those ultra minmaxed builds like Paladin 6 / Hexblade 2 / Divine Soul Sorc X or whatever

Grave because I like darker powers.

Basically because its a skirmisher class to some degree. They work best in specific situations that don't necessarily white room super well, and one of their subclasses is the worst trap option in the game.

I don't mind critical fails/success in skill checks to some point, as long as people realize it doesn't make the impossible happen. If someone wants to fluff out that they just make the task look impossibly easy / skillful, fine. If someone wants to do 'le dwarf flaps its wings and flies', fuck off.

That.. Thats just weirder to me. That's massively misreading the rules, to say the least. I guess on the plus side the rogues can bonus action hide > sneak attack? Though that seems wonky as fuck.

Well, I can go monk/rogue/fighter for ultimate mobility. Make that rogue a swashbuckler, fighter into a battlemaster and monk into a rapier kensei and it's quite decent.

How Darkvision actually works is probably the most frequent rule I see people messing up.

Yes

>one of their subclasses
Please don't say kensei, please don't say kensei, please don't say kensei...
Fuck, it's kensei, isn't it?

We've tried arguing that sneak attack, mechanically is there so rogues actually do something in combat. The roleplay intepretation could be they do literally sneaky attacks in fights, exploiting distractions. But no he disregards the description and only reads the title. "It's a sneak attack. In combat the participants are actively looking out for their surroundings and their enemies, they can't be sneak attacked in fight if they've seen you".

No rogues in our game any more.

Way of the four elements

Relax, it's Wot4E. It rivals PHB Beastmaster Ranger for worst class archetype in 5e.

I think it's the Four Elements thingy. Nearly all of it's subclasses features are inferior and more costly than normal monk features

Relax. Kensei is pretty dull, but it's basically a straight upgrade to base Monk.

WoT4E is the trap, it sucks.

Is it possible to play hour and a half sessions? Is it too short?

Oh. Well, Avatarfags should suffer.

Well it has a straw...

>I always thought Dredd would be a great Conquest Paladin. But yeah, Devotion doesn't mean you have to be lawful nice.
Devotion is fluffed to go hard into the Justice and Reason ideas of Law, whereas Conquest is more about Control.

>homebrew
There's already official material to make a gnoll character. Look in Volo's

they should have called it "trick attack" or something because i've heard this story way too often

I keep seeing people talking about Eberron drow. What makes them that different/interesting compared to other settings? I took a look online and they still seem evil-aligned and just have native american motifs, dont live in a matriarchy, and worship a scorpion god instead of the usual spider one.

Attached: 1459952750565.jpg (640x480, 59K)

Gnoll is in DMG as an example of a custom race

it also gets -2 INT sooooooooooooooo

This guy GM's.

I would like to give a lich a GOOlock-styled background, because forbidden magic secrets are the best kind, but would it be better to just keep them a wizard and give them a few spells along the lines of Hunger of Hadar than bullshitting a way for a warlock to go lich? Their very limited spell selection doesn't really jive well with a lich learning new magic over centuries.

My mistake. Now that I think about it, it's fucking dumb to play as a Gnoll more than any other monster race, unless of course you're playing a janky ass monster campaign in which the rest of the monsters are helping you slaughter everything in the world.

My group's sessions are usually an hour and a half. It's possible, but honestly it's WAY too short. You generally can't accomplish as much as you'd like and are left wanting more. You may end up spending multiple sessions on single fights, which causes things to slog just a bit.

now do a good-aligned Oath of Conquest Paladin.

If you learn spells so slowly, you might want some extra centuries to acquire more. Also, take a look at Illithilich for inspiration. Add some tentacle stuff and psionics.

Excellent, thank you.

>Conquest isn't good
Beta.

But Conquest is pretty bad outside of 1 gimmick GMs wont allow to shit up the entire game :^)

Thanks for your input! Honestly, I've only played 4 hours long sessions with a brief stop midway to eat some. My new group wants to start gaming but playing 1.5 hours games. And I can't imagine it.

getting tired of these blatant Ghenghis Khan posts

not once did I say conquest paladins aren't 'good', as a matter of fact I asked for him to elaborate on good conquest paladins.

begone with you faggot.

swap out a few of the Lich's spells for some the GOOlock expanded spells, throw in Crown of Madness, swap PWK for Gate, and maybe swap out Paralyzing Touch for Create Thrall

I was talking about good in the moral sense bro.

and I was calling you a dumb faggot.

Officially, Oath of Conquest paladins are not necessarily evil, but they have kind of lost hope that people can fix themselves and the world can become a good and happy place, so they started forcing everyone to follow the rules instead. So they lean LN/LE. Here is a vid that can clarify.

youtube.com/watch?v=z-PgBcVaUkw

Thanks for stopping by Crawford

You didn't even know what I was talking about.

Hey Crawford when are you guys finally firing Mearls? It's about fucking time right?

You are welcome. Make sure to also check out the video on the Drow and the new cool genderfluid feature we are giving some elves!
youtube.com/watch?v=hgP6JnWh4Ig

"You or someone else can make a ranged spell attack with one of the pebbles by throwing it or hurling it with a sling."

Your pact weapon is the Sling.

Otherwise you'd only get your charisma the once. You need the spell PLUS hexblade and invocations to get it added all three times.

Very well, most will instantly see conquest as someone out to crush others under their boot. This does not have to be the case though, you believe that the laws help to create order in the lands and through this order good can be done for the benefit of all. When you seek to snuff out hope, it is in the hearts of the wicked who would abuse innocents, always trying to be one step ahead, being relentless in your pursuit and ensuring that not one escapes justice. When you speak of ruling with an iron fist, it is ruling above those who flaunt the law and erode the foundations of society. If a person has broken the law their circumstances do not matter, but above all the punishment will be fair and seek to correct the situation. To you showing strength of community, strength of brotherhood and strength of society is how you execute strength above all. In the long run, you are out to strike fear into the hearts of those who would do evil and deter them before they even begin.

Attached: 1520567760304.png (750x1500, 1.05M)

We were planning on doing so this week, however he heard the news and took the UA that was supposed to release a couple of days ago. He is now holding the document hostage, and we had to release a humiliating piece of promotional material for our next book, "Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes", instead.

Make sure to subscribe to D&D Beyond on youtube for any further updates on the story!

S O C I A L J U S T I C E

N E W F A G

user, , is right. You really should look at picking up healing spells, especially the Life Domain spells. Other great spells are Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon.

Think about whether or not you are going to heal when they are low, or only after they drop to 0.

You know, sage advice has answered a lot of stupid questions, has anyone put forward this one yet so you can show your DM that he’s so very wrong?

Seriously though that’s daft. Does he at least allow the bonus action hide?

Good post,more Knights please
Mother fucker.How does he keep getting away with it?!

5E rules

Attached: 04561323.png (989x435, 864K)

I wanted to try and do a C'thulu/Lovecraft type short campaign for some of my players because they love that shit, but they're not very keen on learning a new system.

I know there are madness rules and a few other things in the DMG and some UAs, but how would I go about other things like classes and such?

>/pol/faggotry
Stop this. You failed abortions have your own board to shitpost on.

>5E is for SocJus transgender tumblrinas
>Pathfinder is for Downs syndrome mongoloids
Checks out.

LMFAO painful

>Leftypol faggotry
Nuff said.

People are retarded and think Lovecraft = tentacles and people going crazy over how fast the space is and how humans cant comprehend it or some shit. Make them run some dumbass wisdom saves and mark down madness points on fail. If they fail by more than 5 marks on the roll (roll 9 on a CR15 check) give them double points. Put some spooooky tentacle monsters in there. You are done.

>J-just leave (((them))) and their leftist puppets take over your hobby lmao!
>s-stop resisting!
Fuck off paid shill.

>take over your hobby
Can't wait for the neckbeard concentration camps desu

NPCs don’t really have to follow class metrics. Beyond that, you can just fluff the lich as animated as their patron. Super easy to do. Just don’t make it a “traditional” lich.

Definitely close to what I had in mind, sounds great.

And the autism continues. Best rogue subclass?

Check out how shitty the bigger d&d fan groups are on fb

Inquisitive

>w-what do you mean people have been supporting this hobby for decades and now disinterested shills who want to water it down, simplify it, and alienate the original audience are infiltrating it?
>t-this didnt happen with comicbooks and vidya!
>it's all a neckbeard conspiracy! Lmao ur all crazy!
Fuck off and go shitpost on a Critical Role thread.

Forever DM- I came very close to being able to play once, and would have been a War Cleric. The idea was to be a melee combat focused Shield Master, shoving people around. (Didn't happen. Never will.)

how do I stop the normiefag dudebro new player from killing my character without sucking his dick
this faggot is treating the campaign like an elder scrolls game

Kick
Him
Out

I know exactly how shitty they are. "OMG I am soooo happy we are getting more genderfluid support! How do I make my table more inclusive? Is playing Drow problematic because of blackface?"
They clearly do not care about the hobby and are here to just coopt it and drain it of all joy just like with everything else. Absolute fucking scourge.