Kobolds rule!

anybody else think Kobolds are epic?
>they laugh at the Kobold
they won't be laughing with a crossbow bolt in their neck

Attached: Got-Kobolds.jpg (1074x849, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zdbnXv8UsVc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>anybody else think Kobolds are epic?
not really
they're talking-things underground with very different interpretations to the point that they're barely a creature type who exist to be destroyed by player characters

Kobolds are the most epic. Infact they are top dogs, when it comes to being underwhelming underdogs. In my opinion they have good flavor, are interesting and don't get the love they deserve.

D&D should focus bullying the "green menace" - goblins, hobgoblins and orcs, leaving Kobolds alone.

Aren't hobgoblins orange?

they can occupy the same space as other adventurers, since they're proficient with crossbows and have a +2 on dexterity they make excellent long range characters, they are good with traps, large creatures are at disadvantage when fighting them, not to mention they can speak draconic and weigh up to 40 pounds at absolute max

Attached: hell yeah!.jpg (318x159, 11K)

>they laugh at the Kobold
Viet-bolds will fill those filthy man apes with bullet holes.

Attached: 3D211B2A-AD2C-4D67-9F8C-C1B8DD450A22.jpg (754x1058, 146K)

That's one interpretation, or they could be dogmen

I've always preferred my kobolds as little lizard people, since gnolls fill the canine role nicely

>start doing weekly 5e session with some old friends
>roll a self flagellating orc paladin with an extreme disgust for kobolds
>get my brain sucked out by a mind flayer
>it's cool we have a druid who knows how to reincarnate
>dm makes the roll table
>get brought back as a kobold

such is life. filthy animals.

No, in fact, the monthly to weekly "lol koboldts so koooool!!1!!" Threads on Veeky Forums in addition to the shitters who assume that every mention of goblins or kobolds means that it's time to post a green or lizard gal with an ass three times it's actual body have turned me off of both.

The funniest and best koboldt I've played with was someone treating Kobolds as "we wuz kangz" the species, because it felt fresh.

>:3 Kobolds are rather weak as they have -2 on strength and have light sensitivity but they make up for that as they are excellent excavators, rather quick, and have darkvision so they are rather amazing. the only weird thing i have to say about them as a super Kobold fan is their ability to swap Gender

Kobolds are literally the best at being the worst

How would a Kobold taste like?

What are some interesting tactics you can use with 5e kobalds?
This picture is pretty interesting where I could have kobalds ransack an artificers wagon and steal bolt-throwers or gun-lances.
There was also a table in some 5e module that gave traits for corrupted kobalds with extra eyes, vestigial or working wings, more arms, crazy colored skin, extra teeth and other things.

you could tunnel under a wall
or since they are extremely light you could strip your gear and walk over most traps with ease

Attached: kobold.jpg (625x352, 46K)

Kobolds are really crafty when it comes to traps. Just get wild and creative. Even if one trap on its own isn't a treat, a huge variety of mediocre but unusual traps will eventually catch people off guard badly enough to make things serious.

the more i think about Kobolds the better they are and now that i think about it most people are just really salty because they probably died to the crafty little dudes

I'm now thinking of making a kobald that can't do anything except shoot rocks in a sling (1d4) and activate traps. He could even have a multiattack which is designed for activating traps. I'll call it [MULTI-ATTRAP]
Then he can run around the field activating shit while the others distract the PC's.

That's why they're great.

>they won't be laughing with a crossbow bolt in their neck
Oh no 1d8 damage, what ever will I do

Yeah, lol, this honestly. People keep trying to be like "but my kobolds use machine guns and are actually super geniuses" or some shit. Like, just say it's your fucking Mary Sue OC race and stop pretending you have some sort of fresh take, dumb ass.

die with that +4 with my high dexterity and widling down your health from 60 feet away
and as you close in i can dual weld daggers for the finishing blows as you get caught in my beartraps

Attached: best kobold.jpg (974x783, 142K)

>1d8+4
not that impressive honestly, trying to pull a Tucker's Kobolds requires a lot of intelligence and through on the part of the GM to not just be "lol make a con save or die"

*thorough planning
fug

aren't hyenas more closely related to cats though?

you forgot one thing

weight traps
one of the key things to playing kobold is their light weight and since the Kobold we are talking about has the traps set up lets say this fight was on a weak fallen tree over a river. the attack springs the beartrap ensnaring it as it gets on the log. now i see this and get out of dodge as the tree breaks under their weight causing the attacker to fall and drown

You can tell this thread was made by someone who dislikes kobolds and tries to stir Veeky Forums's contrarian attitude into hating them.

I approve, though. I don't particularly hate the little fuckers, but this endless koboldwank of "ooooh they are soooo clever" or "they are totally underdogs and that's why they win all the time" is annoying as hell.

And a month or so later Veeky Forums's attention will shift to another furbait fetish race and it all will repeat again.

Attached: 220px-Kobold_artlibre_jnl.jpg (220x271, 24K)

Reminder: it's okay when weebs do it.

funny. really funny because i am not joking.
Kobolds are awesome and screw you for not actually being creative

Attached: 1.jpg (400x320, 35K)

I respect that the amount of levels of irony you're on is beyond mortal comprehension, but tone it down for folks here, people have died from lesser exposure.

goblins are better

i have no goddamn clue what your on about
i'm not being ironic and i am not kidding
Kobolds really are awesome! and people are really salty about it

Attached: papa franku.png (850x667, 486K)

but scales

Attached: KOBLOLD.png (274x526, 84K)

WoW nostalgia means kobolds will always have a special place in my heart

youtube.com/watch?v=zdbnXv8UsVc

Attached: KoboldMG[1].jpg (910x774, 70K)

ok now roll to actually set that thing up, with such an elaborate construction let's say it has a DC of 18-20
I like kobolds but batman prep time bullshit is cancer

your being a moron that is not elaborate in fact it's simple
all it requires is knocking down a weak tree which would be rather easy and putting a beartrap on it which doesn't require a roll
the only difficult part would be putting the tree over the river which even then is still easy
don't forget it's a goddamn example and even then it depends on location

and everybody else
Kobolds have been setting up traps way before tuckers Kobolds so not every trap is a "tuckers Kobolds" unless you are trying to go for one.
just remember that location, materials, intended targets, and type is key, it sound like a lot but it isn't really

Attached: gg.jpg (480x600, 57K)

With Tucker and his bullshit (not the other anons btw) I've applied this to every game I've been running for the last few years in 5e and his idea of "Well equipped enemies with strategy and a leader will frighten and amaze normies" is great to pop on new players.

>my party is used to fighting generic orcs with no ranged and "charge at the big guy" attitude
>they enter orc-lands and are surprised to find that the first roaming party is well armed and uses a great mix of ranged combat, nets and close combat to lock down the fighter, wizard and ranged people
Same thing goes for higher CR monsters like a Bulette knocking people into his holes or areas that only small creatures can get into to prevent the medium sized party from counter-attacking.
It actually forced them to 'git gud' at DnD and I can safely run great encounters without fear of them rolling over and dying like most of the casuals that enter the hobby now.

Goblins are orange. Hobgoblins are red. Orcs are grey.

>and as you close in

Nah

Attached: Aragorn's_Bow.jpg (204x247, 6K)

>small
>frail
>stupid
>not dangerously stupid like the skaven, just stupid
Outside of occasional fapbait and generic low lvl enemies i see no appeal to these fucking things

then your a sad person

Attached: weeeeeeeeee.png (1401x702, 668K)

Yes, but looks are important too and they look like canines. Don't worry about this as D&D has had a long history of making gnolls related to canines despite hyenas being feliforms.

>stupid
user, they have the same intelligence as a normal human. Oh wait, 5e does shittty stuff to various things, let me guess, they are now mildly retarded? Oh joy, they are. Fuck 5e.

Attached: Synapsid Kobolds.jpg (800x1067, 447K)

Ferrets actually

Veeky Forums likes D&D kobolds because they combine goblins and dragons; two things that fa/tg/uys are inexplicably attracted to

Nope. Hyenas are neither feline nor canine, they're hyenas. Divergent enough to just be their own thing now.

Attached: main-qimg-d3120232aa41735d813f7ec21ccced44-c.jpg (602x452, 61K)

How is this for a concept?
>test tube Kobold experiment made from an Illithid and blue dragon agreement.
>Illithid decides fuck it I'll just take the dragon's brain and be a brainstealer dragon instead.

>He doesn't play kobolds

Attached: Smugbold.jpg (322x311, 43K)

Attached: IMG_0178[1].jpg (1107x1280, 245K)

>He plays kobolds

Don't mind me. Just being the vastly superior and more popular race.

Attached: character-portraits-tieflingart.jpg (236x302, 13K)

Attached: Vesh , Kobold ranger..png (1001x500, 243K)

Attached: IMG_0225[1].jpg (800x902, 109K)

Attached: IMG_0226[1].jpg (736x894, 79K)

I had a good run at a Tucker's Kobold's dungeon back in 3.5.
>Crossbowers stood behind pit-traps
>Bard Kobolds boosting everything
>Hole's in the tunnel ceilling: boiling water being poured through
>Flasks of alchemists fire *Everywhere*
>Oh you've cast elemental protection? Next wave have flasks of acid
>Kobold Cavalry on riding dogs doing lance charges for x3 damage.
>Dungeon swiss-cheesed with Tiny sized holes only small characters could squeeze through
>Kobold Ninjas slip out and shiv wizards during fights
>Decoy huts: doors shut & bolted once they go inside, buildings on fire now.
>mobs of Kobolds minions taking assist actions on the one guy with a decent attack
>Use a fireball? Fine, that was a CR4 mob of Kobolds, plenty more where they came from...

Vesh sounds awesome, but you could switch out kobold for literally any race with the same character traits and Vesh would still be awesome.

Yeah, but I liked having 5 strength and being to short to steer the ship
Also here's the template

Attached: Tg tournament.png (1000x500, 28K)

Not him, but I think that those tactics are more closely associated with kobolds, so it fits better

Although yes, good character design largely transcends typical fantasy-races

>With Tucker and his bullshit (not the other anons btw) I've applied this to every game I've been running for the last few years in 5e and his idea of "Well equipped enemies with strategy and a leader will frighten and amaze normies" is great to pop on new players.
Hell, they don't even need to be that well equipped.
I played a little Adventure League at a local Con, namely a module called "A Thousand Tiny Deaths" where you invade a Kobold Warren honeycombed with small tunnels from where the inhabitants took great pleasure in taking pot shots at you with blowdarts.
Since the tunnels were too small for medium creatures to effectively use, the wiser half of the party eventually enrobed ourselves in makeshift cover to deflect the literal rain of darts, while the poor halflings were drug ahead by the YOLO Barbarian kid trying to both kill AND THEN charm his way through everything.

Attached: 1398000260342.png (1000x707, 272K)

I had a kobold run dungeon that my players had to crawl through as most of the traps went over the kobolds heads like swinging blades and arrow traps

Attached: 636331209440702314.jpg (299x392, 73K)

Kobolds are a meme and XP-fodder, nothing else.